Fall NFL Thread

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
That's something. I still have no idea who will win the AFC, however.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,179
Reaction score
30,225
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Easy, we will. Who got better enough to compete? The Dolphins?
 

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Easy, we will. Who got better enough to compete? The Dolphins?
I would say that all of the Ravens, Patriots, and Colts actually got worse. The Ravens lost key defensive players and Boldin, the Pats still don't really have a defense and they lost Welker, and then the Colts gained Welker, but lost Elvis and potentially some others.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,179
Reaction score
30,225
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
I would say that all of the Ravens, Patriots, and Colts actually got worse. The Ravens lost key defensive players and Boldin, the Pats still don't really have a defense and they lost Welker, and then the Colts gained Welker, but lost Elvis and potentially some others.
I wasn't being serious, you know... I think predicting such things at this point is kind of silly. However, I will say that I think our team on the whole got better. But that's just paper, hence me joking about the Dolphins.
 

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
I wasn't being serious, you know... I think predicting such things at this point is kind of silly. However, I will say that I think our team on the whole got better. But that's just paper, hence me joking about the Dolphins.
Obviously you were joking, which is why I ignored the comment about the Dolphins.

I don't really see how you think that the Ravens improved even on paper, unless there was some other acquisition in the last few days that I haven't heard about.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,179
Reaction score
30,225
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Obviously you were joking, which is why I ignored the comment about the Dolphins.

I don't really see how you think that the Ravens improved even on paper, unless there was some other acquisition in the last few days that I haven't heard about.
Our defense got younger, faster, and stronger. We have more options at pass-rusher, more depth on the line. Depending on what we do in the draft and the rest of free agency, I think we'll be better on paper. That's just a prediction, but I like our defense more than last years already. Lewis and Reed are legends, but they were/are shadows of their former selves. There's some questions in some places, but no one expected that roster last year to do what it did. The 2011 roster was much better. Our only questions are at WR and MLB.
 

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Belichick, stop trading away our first round picks, kthxbai.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
This was a terrible first round, moving back and drafting for depth was a much better strategy. New England was not getting anyone at 29 that they could not get in the second round. He used two first round picks last year when there was actual available talent. That's no excuse for some of the past drafts where he traded down essentially for nothing, but it was the right thing to do this year. Horrible first round.
 

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
This was a terrible first round, moving back and drafting for depth was a much better strategy. New England was not getting anyone at 29 that they could not get in the second round. He used two first round picks last year when there was actual available talent. That's no excuse for some of the past drafts where he traded down essentially for nothing, but it was the right thing to do this year. Horrible first round.
Yeah, but it's not as if we got the 35th pick or anything, we got the 52nd pick. Unless there was absolutely no one Belichick was interested in, I disagree with this move. What about the WR that the Vikings took from our pick? That would've given us more length.

Unless the plan is to pick up some random defensive player who won't be on our roster by the end of the season (something Belichick has done before), I don't get it. Remember the year when we traded our pick to the Packers and let them pick Clay Matthews?

I'd actually like for us to get Matt Barkley, but I don't see it happening.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,179
Reaction score
30,225
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
The way the round unfolded with the Bears passing and then the Vikings passing on him twice, I was sort of expecting us to take Manti with the last pick. But apparently we really coveted Elam more. Seems like a classic Ozzie pick. We have 11 picks left, should be interesting.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Yeah, but it's not as if we got the 35th pick or anything, we got the 52nd pick. Unless there was absolutely no one Belichick was interested in, I disagree with this move. What about the WR that the Vikings took from our pick? That would've given us more length.

Unless the plan is to pick up some random defensive player who won't be on our roster by the end of the season (something Belichick has done before), I don't get it. Remember the year when we traded our pick to the Packers and let them pick Clay Matthews?

I'd actually like for us to get Matt Barkley, but I don't see it happening.
Why Barkley when they already have Mallett? Mallett is worlds better, and it's not like drafting QB improves the team anyway.

There was no Clay Matthews in this draft. Patterson was a reach at 29, not the best available receiver, or best available player. There really was not anyone they could have drafted at 29 that they can't get in the second round. They should stay put and grab a running back and DB, there should be good talent at both positions still available.

The way the round unfolded with the Bears passing and then the Vikings passing on him twice, I was sort of expecting us to take Manti with the last pick. But apparently we really coveted Elam more. Seems like a classic Ozzie pick. We have 11 picks left, should be interesting.
Manti is not a first round talent, and he plays a low impact position. He is small, slow, and suspect in pass defense. He's not even suited for the Ravens defense.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,179
Reaction score
30,225
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
They stated interest in him during the pre-draft press conference. It doesn't mean he was high on their big board, but if it was right player, right price I have no doubt they would have drafted him.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
They stated interest in him during the pre-draft press conference. It doesn't mean he was high on their big board, but if it was right player, right price I have no doubt they would have drafted him.
Smoke screen. 90% of what coaches and GM's say during the draft period is bullshit. The remaining 10% are lies.
 

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Why Barkley when they already have Mallett? Mallett is worlds better, and it's not like drafting QB improves the team anyway.

There was no Clay Matthews in this draft. Patterson was a reach at 29, not the best available receiver, or best available player. There really was not anyone they could have drafted at 29 that they can't get in the second round. They should stay put and grab a running back and DB, there should be good talent at both positions still available.

Manti is not a first round talent, and he plays a low impact position. He is small, slow, and suspect in pass defense. He's not even suited for the Ravens defense.
Maybe because I think Mallett sucks? Then again, the Pats did draft Brady, so maybe they see something in Mallett that lowly peons like me can't see.

Clearly there was no Clay Matthews. :P I don't really like Patterson, but I'd rather have had something than have nothing, which is where we are right now.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Mallett was a better college QB than Barkley, with a bigger arm too. Barkley was bailed out for three years by Robert Woods and those big USC receivers. They were able to work their way back to under thrown balls, and all his other inaccurate throws. It's not that surprising that he fell to the third round, given his accuracy issues, lack of arm strength, poor senior year, and shoulder injury. Mallett had attitude issues coming out of college, to go with first round talent. Sitting behind Brady should sort that out. And if he can't play, it's not like he was a first round pick.
 

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
I don't know. I just believe in Barkley more. Mallett comes onto the field for us and just throws picks.

On other news, Tim Tebow and the Jets part company.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Has Mallett ever even started a regular season game?

I've watched enough USC games over the years to have a fairly good feel for Barkley. He doesn't strike me as a starting caliber NFL QB. The league seems to agree; teams look for back ups in the third round, not starters. If a third round pick develops into a starter, that's great, but it's not what teams are looking for. The list of pro bowl QB's drafted after the first round is very, very small. Russel Wilson, Andy Dalton, and Colin Kaepernick are the exceptions, not the rule. Barkley may develop into a competent starter, but to be honest, I'm not sure he beats out Nick Foles for the back up role.

---------- Post added at 01:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:07 PM ----------

Mallett has four career attempts. Four total passes in regular season NFL games.
 

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Has Mallett ever even started a regular season game?

I've watched enough USC games over the years to have a fairly good feel for Barkley. He doesn't strike me as a starting caliber NFL QB. The league seems to agree; teams look for back ups in the third round, not starters. If a third round pick develops into a starter, that's great, but it's not what teams are looking for. The list of pro bowl QB's drafted after the first round is very, very small. Russel Wilson, Andy Dalton, and Colin Kaepernick are the exceptions, not the rule. Barkley may develop into a competent starter, but to be honest, I'm not sure he beats out Nick Foles for the back up role.

---------- Post added at 01:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:07 PM ----------

Mallett has four career attempts. Four total passes in regular season NFL games.
How have you forgotten about Brady? Sixth round pick time!

My apologies though. I'd forgotten that Hoyer was the back up ahead of Mallett during Mallett's first season. That one pick was the one pass I've seen him throw.

---------- Post added May 15, 2013 at 06:01 PM ---------- Previous post was April 30, 2013 at 01:58 PM ----------

Out of nowhere, Rolando McClain retires. Bad luck there, Gary.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,179
Reaction score
30,225
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
The goof doesn't want to play obviously. Good that it ended before it started. Wasted talent there.
 

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Hernandez smashed his security system, destroyed his cell phone, and called a team of cleaners to his house on Monday. He definitely killed the guy.
 
Top