Wasn't directed at you. At least, I thought you had knowledge of how they addressed the topics. I know you're Muslim homey, chillax.
Wasn't directed at you. At least, I thought you had knowledge of how they addressed the topics. I know you're Muslim homey, chillax.
nah i thought you kind a forgot. Well i dun know about papacy to be honest thats why i was interested when this topic of popes resignation came to the thread.
Why does something necessarily have to be always true? "Transcendental" is a wacky word. Everything has boundary conditions - even the universe. It's a matter of determining those boundary conditions.i think you are not geting my point about morality, but then agian you didnt bring this topic, in short Truth must correspond to reality and logic. Now if catagorical imperetive is true then what reality or logic does it corrospond to? Kantian thesis argued against Gods existance (though its refutable but lets stick to it for a moment). So if Gods existance is argued out how can a Obligation in morality be impended? Is and Ought are two different things, for example : it IS wrong to lie and DONT lie because its wrong to lie are 2 different things.
For something to be and 'ought' something transcendental must exist. For theist like me its God for atheist its evolution.
Morals are what you go and act by while values are what you think is important. For example, you may believe in not being brutally honest, but you value that trait in others.This is evolving into an ethical debate. Can I ask what are everyone's thoughts on the difference between morals and values?
Basically, this. I base my ethics/morality on what I've experienced, what I feel, what I think, what I believe in, and how it affects me and others. Evolution or science does not provide such thing. Nor does science or any of its theory dump on or made to dump on god and his existence.In Atheism (as there is no tenants to base any sort of belief off of), morality comes from whatever the individual wants it to. Morality is subjective. I know religious people hate to hear that but that's how I would imagine other Atheists see it. I don't get my moral code form the fact that my species has evolved over time. What kind of ethics could I gather from that to live my day to day life? Almost none. I decide my own morals based off what I feel and what I see, no more, no less.
i dont really think you guys are getting me, I wasnt debating subjective morality i was debating catagorical imperative and kants antimony and the absurdity.Lying isn't exactly right or wrong. I think it's to be avoided because it confuses situations and can turn blame towards you. But "right" and "wrong"? I'm no cosmic overseer who can determine which is which. But neither can I trust in someone claiming to be such a cosmic overseer. You cannot make an absolute statement. You can only make a probabilistic one.
Atheist dont have a strict set of positive beliefs to believe on. One can think of morality as objective one can think of it as subjective.In Atheism (as there is no tenants to base any sort of belief off of), morality comes from whatever the individual wants it to. Morality is subjective. I know religious people hate to hear that but that's how I would imagine other Atheists see it. I don't get my moral code form the fact that my species has evolved over time. What kind of ethics could I gather from that to live my day to day life? Almost none. I decide my own morals based off what I feel and what I see, no more, no less.
1. Kant's thesis had many more problems besides just categorical imperative. Assigning one single axiom from which all morality derives, for one.i dont really think you guys are getting me, I wasnt debating subjective morality i was debating catagorical imperative and kants antimony and the absurdity.
Why in the world are you bringing in subjectivity ?
Maybe that's the wrong way to view it. An electron's location cannot be pinpointed without losing perspective of how fast it is going. We can only determine the probability of where it could be. We can't pinpoint a generalized blanket "moral" without losing perspective of different situations. We can only determine the likelihood.Atheist dont have a strict set of positive beliefs to believe on. One can think of morality as objective one can think of it as subjective.
Why isn't it subjective or bias? You can either believe in evolution because it has more proof, or you can have no faith in evolution over God because you have faith in God. Blind faith is possible with science/evolution, but it depends on WHY. Just like blind faith isn't a sure thing for those that believe in God, as they might have seen or experienced something that they think is God's doing.So, I want to discuss the implications and dimensions of the following statement: "I believe in evolution". Should the word evolution(a theoritical, systematic and objective framework of explanation) be used in the same context, meaning and sentence as the word believe, which implies subjectivity and bias ? The statement itself contradicts the principles of scientificness and borders on blind faith. What are your thoughts ?
What I understood from this is that choosing a side has become imperative. And by choosing to adhere to an "objective", "empirical" body of scholastic knowledge", you are automatically opposed to faith. Perhaps I'm wrong, but isn't that intellectually oppressive ? You are obliged to adhere to a system of ideas based on a set of criteria agreed upon by the intellectual sphere. The margin of intellectual freedom is reduced here, which leaves no room for alternative and creative combinations such as faith+evolution and so on.The public has been forced to choose what they believe in. When someone says that they "believe" in evolution, it means that they have chosen an objective, empirical body of scholastic knowledge, rather than blind faith.
That's definitely one way to look at it. But I find it strange that science has been obsessed with objectivity.Why isn't it subjective or bias? You can either believe in evolution because it has more proof, or you can have no faith in evolution over God because you have faith in God. Blind faith is possible with science/evolution, but it depends on WHY. Just like blind faith isn't a sure thing for those that believe in God, as they might have seen or experienced something that they think is God's doing.
Science can be biased or at least, subjective to what we understand and experience.
Monotheism is incredibly young compared to religion as a whole. So you can't look at it quite the same way we look at the religions of ancient cultures. The purpose was generally the same, just with less structure. A way to explain life, which science does better than any religion could (in my opinion).If I recall my reading, the concept of God/spirit came from elders who tried to explain how things happened, like why the sun rose or how it changes into a moon. They didn't know and to avoid losing face, they said it was the spirit, spirits, God, or Gods who did all of that. Didn't know that the roots of religion were considered protoscience though, always thought they were associated with God and controlling others.