Oh, so you guys pray(ed) to many of them at the same time? How about the temples and celebrations? From what I gathered in history about greek and roman polytheism, there was in fact that one main guy - mostly the father figure to all of the others (even though he actually had parents and whatnot) - and said others, that work highly specialised, for example when they go to war, they sacrifice to Mars, or when they want a baby it's another godess again etc. pp.
That is something, that in christianity was taken over by saints in some way, they're specifically not gods though.
Same time, in one prayer, multiple prayers in the same day or hour, whatever. We do honor many gods though and in temple go around praying to statues.
I'm not entirely sure about Hinduism, or Jainism, but based on what I read on Wiki, we have tons of Gods and Goddesses but pray more extensively to one or two of them. For many Hindus, Krishna is their main god, while for others Vishnu is their god of choice. Some, like the Thugees, worship Kali Maa. I think Hindus have primary god or goddess that they worship to the most, and worship others much less. However, I'm basin this on movies I've seen.
I really have no idea how we do it, but I know we worship more than one deity whenever we have prayers.
That is a sad outcome of believe going (subjectively?) wrong. Praying for healing and then not accepting the help of a medcine (I guess it's mostly argued as counter, that medcines are humans, therefore creatures of god, therefore a way of god to heal). Also it is imposing the view of the parents on the children who have no way to escape that, like some other procedures. Not sure in how far a state should allow that if it threatens the childs wellbeing.
I think a state should have the right to interfere if the parents are endangering a child.
As for selfishness and benefit, I don't see how believing in god is selfish then. You still take a wager, might have to live without alcohol without ever knowing if there is a god and to what rules and conditions that comes. In the end you'd have to get scales and weigh it up.
Where's the benefit from believing in evolution? Well maybe you feel all high and mighty towards other species, idk. Evolutionists often have that view that's also made it to the T-shirts. Can feeling good be a benefit anyway? Might be an interesting question, how does your religion/service/community make you feel?
If I understand you right though, what you're saying is, science = theories = not necessarily right; and also that religions = claim to be right = capitalize on that. Is that it?
Many people believe in God, from what I've read, because they'd rather be right and go to Heaven than be wrong and go to Hell for not believing in him. Many also believe in God because they want to be loved regardless and think God will love them and be there for them.
There's no benefit from believing in evolution, I think. Nor is it a way of saying "God doesn't exist!" Why can't the multiple choice also have "God created first form of life and let it evolve or left it alone, which then evolved into what it is now"? I don't feel high and mighty; I personally feel that humans are equal to animals, not better than them. Feeling good being beneficial depends on the person.
My religion/community makes me feel annoyed and restricted.
Somewhat. But you can't deny science is rife with theories and hypothesis, many that have been proven true but isn't a solid fact. Many religions do claim to be right and try to capitalize on it. Does Christianity not claim to be right about how the universe was created and capitalize on that by using God to control people and make money via donations?
I think you should watch OMG Oh My God. It's a Bollywood flick, yeah, but it has a great message. The main character is an atheist, but he says lot of brilliant stuff about religions that I agree with. Or you can skip to the courtroom parts and the end when the main character is in the hospital to the credits.
Pragmatically, subjectively and simply, I'd rather god exist. It would benefit me very much. I know it is selfish, but after much consideration, it makes perfect sense. Science has not matured enough at this point to be fully dependable If you compare it to monotheism that has been around for more than a thousand years. Even then, and objectively speaking, how much progress can science make in a thousand years ? Additionally, this obsession with empiricism is making the progress very slow. While we know that there is more to life than the natural, concrete world, science does not seem to be concerned with that. It is stuck in it's comfort zone, and will continue to dismiss anything intangible in my opinion. Mankind itself has not matured enough to practically do without religion.
But, why can't you place faith in science or believe that science is good while believing in God? There's no one OR the other, you can have one, you can have both, or you can have none. What stops you from saying God created the first life, which evolved?
Science can make and has made tons of progress in a thousand year. Astronomy, biology, chemistry... science has led to creation of technology that allows us to communicate with people halfway around the world, to create medicine that can cure us of diseases that had the potential to wipe out mass populations, and to help make our lives easier with tools.
Natural, concrete wall? I don't understand what you mean by this. But science doesn't dismiss anything intangible, otherwise it'd have dismiss the idea of alleles, atoms, Punnett square, and plenty of other stuff.