Society Religious Discussion and Q&A Thread

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
No one has ever tried to convert me to science. I guess PBS also has donation drives, but they're not quite as pushy as the church. Big Bird's a boss, I'd much rather give money to him than the Pope.
I was talking about Atheism. I wasn't comparing science to religion in any way actually. Atheists can be as militant in their non-belief as believers are in their belief.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
I was talking about Atheism. I wasn't comparing science to religion in any way actually. Atheists can be as militant in their non-belief as believers are in their belief.
Random atheists never try to convert me either. Atheists can get pretty douchy online, but they are hardly unique in that sense. That doesn't mean they act douchy in real life. There is no Atheist equivalent of the Hare Krishina's, or Mormons. I can't act like they are all innocent, I have seen plenty of gay looking pro-Atheism bumper stickers.

Now that we've established that religious people and atheists are both annoying, I think I am going to start a militant Agnostic movement. Our motto will be "And on the Seventh Day Not a Fuck Shall be Given".
 
  • Like
Reactions: xi0

DLord.Van.Buuren

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 18, 2010
Messages
1,716
Reaction score
1,226
Gender
Hidden
Country
Japan
Well, to be fair science is not about being converted to. People who take the stance of one or the other or think of science as something you need faith or need to be converted to don't generally understand what science actually is nor what its scope is supposed to be. Religion on the other hand is about being converted to, it is about faith, you can't really prove yours is the one that is true, you need to convince people that the alternative you go for is the better one among a number of other equally unproven and equally unprovable religions. Within science you might have people vouching for different theories however there aren't different schools of science to speak off at large that would be actual science as what it is supposed to be and do.
The scientific method as we know it today is grounded in a combination of empiricism, positivism and pragmatism, where the importance of sensory experience is stressed. There were other rival schools of thought which held reason as the primary source of epistemic truth. And they had a high esteem for Mathematics and logic. The scientific method is highly popular because it is practical in advancing economic ends. Eventually, it all boils down to practicality.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Random atheists never try to convert me either. Atheists can get pretty douchy online, but they are hardly unique in that sense. That doesn't mean they act douchy in real life. There is no Atheist equivalent of the Hare Krishina's, or Mormons. I can't act like they are all innocent, I have seen plenty of gay looking pro-Atheism bumper stickers.

Now that we've established that religious people and atheists are both annoying, I think I am going to start a militant Agnostic movement. Our motto will be "And on the Seventh Day Not a Fuck Shall be Given".
Of course not, but you see them on TV and some of them even have their own organizations, which is pretty ironic and mind-boggling. They don't have the same sort of recruitment practices or collective thinking, but I find them just as annoying, if not more so.

Yeah, that works...lul
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Of course not, but you see them on TV and some of them even have their own organizations, which is pretty ironic and mind-boggling. They don't have the same sort of recruitment practices or collective thinking, but I find them just as annoying, if not more so.

Yeah, that works...lul
There are also people on TV trying sell me a shoe horn on a stick. It's still a fuck of a lot less annoying than being stopped and asked how I feel about Jesus Christ. If I'm watching a show and an atheist comes on, I act just like I would during a commercial; I get up, and go take a piss.

There's organizations for everything these days. Whey shouldn't Atheists be any different?
 
Last edited:

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
There are also people on TV trying sell me a shoe horn on a stick. It's still a fuck of a lot less annoying than being stopped and asked how I feel about Jesus Christ. If I'm watching a show and an atheist comes on, I act just like I would during a commercial; I get up, and go take a piss.

There's organizations for everything these days. Whey shouldn't Atheists be any different?
Lol. Well usually it's somewhat hypocritical, especially considering what they're complaining about in the first place. There's some mirroring going on there.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Lol. Well usually it's somewhat hypocritical, especially considering what they're complaining about in the first place. There's some mirroring going on there.
No different than the Cobbler's Union, in my mind. Like minded people, gathering together to promote a common cause.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
No different than the Cobbler's Union, in my mind. Like minded people, gathering together to promote a common cause.
At face value, yes. But it depends on what their aim is. Are they for-profit, etc.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
I'm not care if the Atheists are only in it for the money.

At least preachy, famous atheists are intelligent and well spoken. Brian Cox and Lawrence Krauss at least have more to say than "it's in a really old book so it must be true" :arf

Richard Dawkins is a punk, he doesn't count.
 

Imperium

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 31, 2007
Messages
5,221
Reaction score
10,351
Gender
Hidden
Country
Heard and McDonald Islands
I would agree with Kaiten, he's a punk.

Dawkins is a condescending prick who has no interest in engaging with religious people but simply reinforcing a circlejerk rather than any thoughtful discourse. His rhetoric is silly and purposefully inflaming. Neil Degrasse Tyson says it better than me.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Well no, I can't argue with how in-your-face he is with people. He isn't terribly charismatic or tactful in that way. I thought he meant something else.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
He's the Atheist equivilant of Joel Osteen. He's a brilliant scientist, I would never deny that. But he is as close as anyone comes to being an Atheist Fundamentalist. He is the preachy, militant Atheist you were talking about. He even has a best selling book about Atheism, "The God Delusion".

---------- Post added at 10:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:49 PM ----------

I would agree with Kaiten, he's a punk.

Dawkins is a condescending prick who has no interest in engaging with religious people but simply reinforcing a circlejerk rather than any thoughtful discourse. His rhetoric is silly and purposefully inflaming. Neil Degrasse Tyson says it better than me.
He's basically no different from the pricks who start flame wars on r/atheism, only with more clout.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
I know, I've read some of his works and seen some of his specials. I don't care much for his confrontational style, but I still find what he does interesting.
 

Imperium

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 31, 2007
Messages
5,221
Reaction score
10,351
Gender
Hidden
Country
Heard and McDonald Islands
Well no, I can't argue with how in-your-face he is with people. He isn't terribly charismatic or tactful in that way. I thought he meant something else.
My main gripe with him beyond that is this seeming obsession with literalism being the only facet of religious belief, and that religious belief sans literalism is not religious belief at all. It's does a great disservice to theology. It ignores both the history and necessity of interpretation.

But yea, god doesn't exist because there are fossils. /s
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
I do love that clip. Neil Degreasse Tyson has a way with words. I think that quote basically sums up the internet :p

---------- Post added at 11:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:58 PM ----------

My main gripe with him beyond that is this seeming obsession with literalism being the only facet of religious belief, and that religious belief sans literalism is not religious belief at all. It's does a great disservice to theology. It ignores both the history and necessity of interpretation.

But yea, god doesn't exist because there are fossils. /s
To me, it really comes down to how strident he is. It's not a matter of agreeing, or disagreeing with his argument. I really just feel, at the end of the day, that he is a condescending ass.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
My main gripe with him beyond that is this seeming obsession with literalism being the only facet of religious belief, and that religious belief sans literalism is not religious belief at all. It's does a great disservice to theology. It ignores both the history and necessity of interpretation.

But yea, god doesn't exist because there are fossils. /s
Well, whether what he said there is actually the truth or not is also up for debate and also up to interpretation :p

---------- Post added at 11:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:01 PM ----------

To me, it really comes down to how strident he is. It's not a matter of agreeing, or disagreeing with his argument. I really just feel, at the end of the day, that he is a condescending ass.
75% of it is the accent!
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Well, whether what he said there is actually the truth or not is also up for debate and also up to interpretation :p
Whatever the argument, it's as hard to prove god doesn't exist, as it is to prove god does exist. It's a circular debate, no matter what side you take. Reason and logic do not apply.

75% of it is the accent!
That's racist.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Whatever the argument, it's as hard to prove god doesn't exist, as it is to prove god does exist. It's a circular debate, no matter what side you take. Reason and logic do not apply.
That point is sort of moot anyway. Believers and non-believers don't care about it being proven whether he exists or not. "Proof" doesn't even exist as a concept in most cases.
 

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
48,828
Reaction score
17,292
Gender
Male
Country
Akatsuki


This kinda shit frankly disgusts me. One could argue that nearly all religions haven't contributed anything either.
 
Top