I don't think there's going to be one because whoever it turns out to be, it'd turn out to be much weaker than Meryem and not really much of a challenge overall.
I see that you must've missed the part where Meryem says there are different KINDs of strength.
Just cause someone doesn't have the physical strength of Meryem or aura power doesn't mean they aren't as challenging.
Take Pariston Hill, we've yet to see ANY nen from him (unless I forgot). Not to say he's weak but nen or no nen
that guy is dangerous. Why? because he's clever as hell and unpredictable.
Plus with the advent of the Rose Bomb which you know KILLED MERYEM.
Whoever has the key to those is in fact the most dangerous character.
For example
Gyro + Rose Bombs= Very Bad Situation.
And this is not even knowing what shenanigans are in the Outside.
---------- Post added at 12:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:43 AM ----------
That's actually a pretty significant flaw of HXH. I remember seeing an interview with the guy who directed Spiderman and he said it's one thing you don't want to make your hero some kind of flawless paragon of walking good and your villian someone who just eats babies for fun, but on the other hand if people start thinking your villians are the good guys you're doing a very poor job. The 'nobody is a bad guy' style is a very weak attempt at pretending your characters have depth. If there's a flaw with Meryem's characterization, it's the fact that Togashi never really was able to get across the point that Meryem could never coexist with humanity no matter what. At best he sees a few special chosen like Netero or Komugi being worthy. His best offer to humanity is basically something like "I should've exterminated you all but I guess it wouldn't hurt to let you live in some kind of national park like environments". The whole bit questioning about how using Rose on Meryem makes humanity just as bad is ridiculous dumb. Negotiation with Meryem was never possible.
In general I think Togashi has a tendency to idolize the dark side of humanity with the argument that the good guys aren't really any diffferent. I don't actually care if the bad guys win, but the problem is that the good guys still win in HXH most of the time so it just becomes hypocrisy. If you're going to basically twist your worldview to make Spiders seem way more powerful than they really are then I expect to see the Spiders burn down the Hunter's HQ, instead of retreating at the sign of any powerful Hunters arriving.
I don't see HxH as being a "nobody is a bad guy" manga but rather a " a "nobody is a good guy." manga.
I don't see that being a flaw. In fact I thought that one of the great things about his character is that the more it seemed
like he COULD co-exist with humanity the faster his impending doom came.
I didn't see HxH trying to argue that using the Rose Bomb was just as bad but rather that the whole invention of it is evil.
It's like nuclear bombs, sure one could argue about the "necessity" of Hiroshima and Nagasaki being obliterated but
the whole concept of total annihilation of a populous is evil.
I don't see how that's hypocrisy. The good guys win but it's not much better than had the bad guys won is what I see the manga saying.
How is that hypocritical? I don't get your comment about twisting the worldview. The Spiders are strong but they aren't invincible.
Nobody is. Not even Meryem and I see that as a GOOD thing for the story.