Well said, the characters only need to be in-character. But I'm not eager to see Levi surrounded by flowery / bubbly shoujo backgrounds, if you know what I mean.
Thank you and I feel exactly the same about those flowery/bubbly background things for a series with such heavy/weighty themes and subject matter as SnK. I have faith they'll do it tastefully as possible for a shoujo, though. Especially considering what Yumpo said about it being based on the VN. That said, I have
less faith they'll keep the mood-killing backgrounds out than I do that they'll keep the characters IC...
Well, the manga spinoff isn't probably going to be BL anyway. I hope. They'd probably, for the most part, be in-character. I mean this manga spinoff is based on the visual novels in the Limited Edition Blu-rays Vol. 3 and 6, and since Isayama is actually supervising the VN versions soooo....Yup, they'd be mostly in-character....Yeah. XD. I'd probably see this as official since we actually know that Isayama is helping out with this.
Exactly what I think. Even fujoshi would probably get pissed off if they suddenly were faced with
official art of uke-fied Eren, seme-ized Erwin, or whatever. No one expects that kind of thing from official sources for a series like this one.
Though I'm pretty much okay if there's romance in SnK. Any other manga, mostly no. The reason is because, if I'm getting it correctly right now, this manga is a story about humanity as well. Removing the concept of romance is kind of removing a part of humanity. But I'd rather have the romance as light as possible that it's barely noticeable until you reread the manga a couple of times. I don't want it heavy to the point of it being silly.
Yes, this. It would be cheating their rich characters to leave out what hints of romance Isayama himself is already writing into the story. Subtlety is key, however. I'm a huge fan of
subtle presentation of character emotions (which is why I dislike bubbly/flowery pages and such, lol). I think my only exception to that is for comedy.
Thanks!
You're welcome. And sorry you lost your original reply! I hate when that happens.
Simply avoiding this story is easier said than done when it's about a favourite character and has a plot that you'd have preferred to see from the real author- particularly a plot that's really interesting.
Personally I'd hoped to one day see it in a special chapter. It's now unlikely to ever happen and instead we get some flowery shojo which in the worst case will detail the chronicles of pretty prince Levi and his boyfriend Erwin ^^;
Hehehe... well that would just be way OOC and so I doubt they'll come up with something like that. Especially if it's based on the VN. And if indeed it's based on the VN, then the plot
was written in consultation with the original author.
Of course I'm hoping that either they'll be considerate and remember that most of a shonen series audience isn't too thrilled about BL or shojo and that some might even find it off-putting (let's be honest, most male viewers I know strongly dislike BL- not even out of homophobia but they just don't want to see it)
I have nothing against BL or shojo or those who enjoy it, but why force it onto a completely different series? Ofc there's no rule that says they can't, but it doesn't mean they should: at least not with a fan-favorite of a gritty shonen series.
Well the fact here is that the target audience for a shoujo isn't going to be the shounen readership. On the contrary, I'm hopeful that Kodansha is maybe realizing that more and more Japanese
girls want substantial stories and characters too (!)-- not just cutesy love stories all the time. Bringing a shounen series' characters into a shoujo mag like that is like a great big kick in all their writers' (and prospective writers') behinds, boldly reminding them of that.
Sure, SnK has a lot of female fans- but not all females are fujoshi and many, such as myself enjoy it for what it is. A romantisation of it makes me uncomfortable...
Furthermore, most popular shonen have a huge female and fujoshi following. But Naruto isn't getting a spinoff about Sasuke's school days with Naruto in Ribon magazine... (the comparison limps, as Ribon is just shojo, but you get my point)- and that's arguably not half as gritty and serious as SnK.
This is true, but I think there is more of a push for these kinds of things to happen nowadays than there ever was before. SnK isn't the first shounen series to cater to its female audience-- this is just a bigger gesture in that direction than usual. And many shounen series have even had homo/biromantic aspects
directly in their canon storylines in the past (including both
Naruto and SnK), but they just didn't present these elements of the story with your typical BL/GL genre conventions.
Sorry to sound so negative, but for some reason this rubs me the wrong way- maybe I spent too much time on tumblr accidentally coming across the latest yaoi.. material.. so now I worry it could become canon xD I'm probably just panicking
No, I totally understand when you put it that way. I hate seeing the characters I love go out of character and a lot of fan-generated art does exactly that.

I just have a little faith that officially-produced stuff won't go OOC. ^_^