Re: Claymore Hang-out Thread
Since I don't want to anger anyone by posting in the spoiler thread, I wanted to make a little post on Priscilla here.
I know the general feelings are that she is either boring, overpowered, or both. I respect and understand the opinions of people that feel this way, but I feel the opposite. Ever since she reappeared alongside Raki after the timeskip, I have found her to be the most entertaining character, and as of right now probably my favorite...and that's saying something since Teresa was my insta-fav when she was first introduced.
Now, I agree with her being a bit too powerful, and we all know that no monster in the series will take her down thanks to being attached to Clare as a nemesis. I don't find much of a problem with this because of what she does add to the series. For one thing, she is not have the personality the typical arch nemesis. And another thing, she adds a chaotic factor whenever she is involved. Often, I see that people didn't like how the chapters in the 90s-early 100s went. That was one of my favorite parts in Claymore, simply because of all the chaos caused by Priscilla. I can't think of another series I've seen where a character can just waltz in and kill off many factions(Org's most powerful warriors, Riful and Duph, and even take on the Destroyer)...shutting down so many possibilities. I love that.
But this leads me to also say that I don't really feel her as "main villain" material. I find it hard to read her period. In the anime, her awakened form came out as menacing,and eerily intelligent just as it does when she is introduced in the manga. But at the end of the anime, she seems reduced to some headcase who is nothing more than a cool pet for Isley. In the manga, she has retained her menacing feel by seeming a bit sinister, yet nonchalant. Helping Raki as a reward, going where she pleases and only killing those that disturb her...that's the chaos that I love. But the problem is that we still can't see her intent currently. Her shallow goal of tracking down and killing Clare hardly shows an intent or purpose. And right now, she doesn't even seem to care about that, considering she took the time to fool around with Riful-Doll, and chose to check out what Dae and Rubel were doing. Right now, she just seems like a powerful, curious wanderer.
Now, I believe there is a possible solution to this. I never really liked the idea of the "mainland" continuation, but thinking about the whole "main villain" thing got me thinking. I started to wonder how Priscilla would feel if the Claymore-verse were a bit bigger, had more of a fantasy setting in terms of the dragons, and actually had real villains. I believe that type of setting would be far more suited to Priscilla's wandering chaos feel. Suppose the issue between her and Clare was actually resolved, and both somehow survive. Imagine a mainland having characters that could compete on the level of Priscilla (no more massive power gaps, and let the Ghost's catch up somehow). I think of a place where things are more focused on skills and abilities than power levels. Not only would that make Priscilla always have to fight with skill, but it would make her random factor a bit more entertaining by not being tied to Clare anymore. I wouldn't mind seeing that at all.
____
edit:
I know the next chapter will be out any time soon, so I could be wrong on this very quickly, but I had another theory.
Rubel might just sell out his Dragon-kin to save his own life. Priscilla, "The Claymore of Destiny," hates yoma more than anyone else. Could this translate to her wanting to destroy the source of Yoma? Perhaps out of anyone, she would want to go to the mainland and battle. Knowing the truth about her past might bring out another warped sense of justice that she had as a Claymore. In exchange for information on the mainland, I could see Rubel being spared, and Priscilla fulfilling the Org's purpose of making a weapon for their side...with the catch of not taking orders from them. Who knows, maybe the mainland's org has method of forcing someone like Priscilla to take orders...I mean, they have been fighting monsters all this time.