Hangout - Shoujo & Josei Hangout Thread | Page 11 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Hangout Shoujo & Josei Hangout Thread

k-dom

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
France
Well I can't promise you anything since I know you are a big fan of Nana. I don't remember why I stop reading it but the story didn't interest me that much after a while. I'm Not An Angel is quite a classic shoujo so don't expect big surprise but a nice story. From what I understood Gokinjo and Paradise Kiss reused some of I'm Not An Angel characters with more a fashion theme that is absent in the prequel. Since they are short, I will probably read them in a near future.

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
do try Paradise Kiss. And the anime of it was gorgeous too. I didn't like the movie adaptation though, since they changed the ending. And a big part of Yazawa's writing was in that ending. Her style, her way of portraying reality- that's why I love her works.

k-dom

Reaction score
Country
France
Maybe an old news : The mangaka Rei Toume (from Reimei no arcana) starts a new serie in next issue of Cheese.

baboysai

Pink Warrior
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
hmm. I really haven't read any of her works. Any good?

k-dom

Reaction score
Country
France
I think phio_chan followed Arcana, I did not really start it myself.

Doraku

Repenting Smut Peddler
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Anyone read Skip Beat? Suddenly have interest in it because the promise sounds interesting but I need second opinion.

phio_chan

the first and last bride
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
hmm. I really haven't read any of her works. Any good?
I think phio_chan followed Arcana, I did not really start it myself.
Yeah, I read her Reimei no Arcana. http://mangahelpers.com/forum/showthread.php/70603-Shoujo-Reimei-no-Arcana-by-TOMA-Rei

What do I think of Arcana? The original promise was interesting, but along the way somehow I lost my interest. One factor might be the rare release (not blaming the Manga Editor at all, I was late at catching up too) and due the plot speed raised too fast IMO. Other than that artwork is quite pretty.

Anyone read Skip Beat? Suddenly have interest in it because the promise sounds interesting but I need second opinion.
I did. Very similar to what I feel about Arcana as I wrote above, but I think it's worse with Skip Beat. I find the last few chapters boring, too slow, and too much talking that it hurts, lol. Still I finished the old chapters pretty fast when I first got into it, the arcs were interesting and funny and awesome.

baboysai

Pink Warrior
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
I dropped Skip Beat after one volume, I think? haha.

yukihime03

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
Maybe an old news : The mangaka Rei Toume (from Reimei no arcana) starts a new serie in next issue of Cheese.
Ah, I read that new series...

---------- Post added at 06:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:59 PM ----------

Yeah, I read her Reimei no Arcana. http://mangahelpers.com/forum/showthread.php/70603-Shoujo-Reimei-no-Arcana-by-TOMA-Rei

What do I think of Arcana? The original promise was interesting, but along the way somehow I lost my interest. One factor might be the rare release (not blaming the Manga Editor at all, I was late at catching up too) and due the plot speed raised too fast IMO. Other than that artwork is quite pretty.

I did. Very similar to what I feel about Arcana as I wrote above, but I think it's worse with Skip Beat. I find the last few chapters boring, too slow, and too much talking that it hurts, lol. Still I finished the old chapters pretty fast when I first got into it, the arcs were interesting and funny and awesome.
Don't give up yet, phio-chan.. Though I've read spoilers for Arcana and I don't like how it goes, but who knows?

The recent chapter for Skip Beat is also getting interesting (more like, this is the part I've been waiting for years) so there's still hope yet...
But yeah, the first time I read Skip Beat, I finished 11 volumes in a day. :XD It was that good, IMO.

---------- Post added at 06:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:06 PM ----------

I dropped Skip Beat after one volume, I think? haha.
:gwah

Last edited:

Doraku

Repenting Smut Peddler
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
So it seems the opinion for Skip Beat is slightly polarized. I think I will give it a try for couple of volumes.

Asarii

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Canada
I admit that I haven't touched any shoujo series in years because the art style with dinner plate eyes and the usage of all the sparkly tone wasn't my cup of tea. However, it seems like lately there are more shoujo series with a realistic art style like Shiina Karuho's so I'm intrigued to pick it up again. :)

baboysai

Pink Warrior
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
what manga in particular? I'm not familiar with that mangaka.

Asarii

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Canada
She's the mangaka for Kimi ni Todoke (or at least that's who I think it is). I like her art style, and I'm glad that KnT is getting the hype it deserves.

k-dom

Reaction score
Country
France
The problem with Kimi ni todoke is that it is very very slow and has shown almost no progress since they started dating. I didn't read it in a while because of that hoping that a batch read would be better.
I don't have problem with the girl manga art in general. I even like some old style series like Doubutsu no Oisha-san. I know that Baboysai has problem with 7 Seeds one but current popular series should be no problem art-wise if you like Kimi ni todoke

Last edited:

baboysai

Pink Warrior
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
yeah I also find Kimi ni Todoke to be very slow.

kindredxiuxiu

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I feel like KnT had a lull, but it's starting to pick up a bit. Even then I tend to read it in batches as opposed to monthly when it comes out, though.

BeyondAnother

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Dragonstone
One of mt favorite Shoujos were Imadoki
, omg I use to adore this mamga, Yuu Watase is amazing

Last edited:

baboysai

Pink Warrior
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Yuu Watase? she was the writer for Fushigi Yuugi right?

SharkBait

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
Was just browsing covers and I thought this one was really good.

baboysai

Pink Warrior
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
what manga is this?