Hangout - Shoujo & Josei Hangout Thread | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Hangout Shoujo & Josei Hangout Thread

SilvaShado

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
It's pretty funny, but my husband enjoys shoujo anime more than I do. If Shojo Beat hadn't come out, I doubt I'd be reading much shoujo manga.

But I attribute my enjoyment of shonen titles to the fact that that was all that was available when I was in high school. So I grew up liking those types of stories.

Now that shoujo manga and anime is much more available, and my husband is always nagging me to watch this or that, I am enjoying shoujo more and more.

Miso

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Re: General Shoujo Discussion

*splitted the posts above and made a new topic about Shoujo in general

What I really like about Shoujo is the character development. In most Shonen mangas you don't have that. Of course the character become stronger but mostly the personality stays the same.
If we take our popular Naruto you will see that he is almost identical from the beginning of the manga uptil now regarding how he behaves. Of course he has gained new techniques but other than that there isn't too much change.
Shojou mangas deal with personal processes and thus play on another area/level than Shonen mangas.
Both types have their own good points, of course. Because of that I enjoy reading both. You can't really say which is better it always depends on your personal opinion.

Tamerlane

=D
Reaction score
Country
United States

I really have to agree with you Miso the character development is by far the most attractive feature of the Shoujo mangaverse. In fact I was just talking a bit about that when I recomended the Fruits Basket manga in another thread.

I also like both kinds, some days just action and not too much character develpoment is fun but there are other times when I really want to be able to read a manga and feel closer to the characters and maybe indulge in some sappy romance.

Is it just me though when I sometimes read Shonen manga, Naruto for example, I find myself really hoping for more in depth character story lines and (gasp) a bit of romance? I mean I know that it most likely will not happen...but it is fun to imagine the what-ifs in a story. I guess that is what fanfiction is for though.

Do you think that there is a manga out there that would include the best parts of both worlds? A manga that has action, detailed character development and some romance? If anyone knows of a manga like that tell me so I can run out and get it right now. o_o

Miso

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany

Tamerlane said:
Do you think that there is a manga out there that would include the best parts of both worlds? A manga that has action, detailed character development and some romance? If anyone knows of a manga like that tell me so I can run out and get it right now. o_o
Perhaps X/1999 by Clamp? It's offically Shoujo but actually it has much action as it deals with two groups fighting at the end of the world.
It's pretty famous, you already might know it.
And I am too lazy to summarize it now.
Wikipedia will help me:
X (エックス, Ekkusu), an early work of the hit all-female manga-ka group CLAMP, details the apocalypse in a very literal adaptation of the Book of Revelation. The first chapter of the manga originally appeared in the May 1992 issue of Monthly Asuka. The manga has yet to be completed, but it has been adapted a movie (X/1999 or X: The Destiny War) and an anime TV series.

The manga is published in Japan by Kadokawa Shoten under the Monthly Asuka line. In North America, Viz Communications publishes it in English under the name "X/1999". In Singapore, it is called "X" and is published in English by Chuang Yi, while Australia received both the American version "X/1999" and the Singaporean "X". In Italy is now published by Planet Manga.

It was believed due to a dispute between CLAMP and the editors of Asuka, the manga has been on hiatus in Japan since March 2003. Asuka felt the series was becoming too violent, however, CLAMP were unwilling to change their plans. As a result, X and Gohou Drug, the other CLAMP manga serialised in Asuka at this time, were put on hold indefinitely. However, in an interview from PUFF magazine which can be viewed here, CLAMP claims that while it was true Asuka believed the series was getting too violent, the main reason for X's hiatus was the Great Hanshin earthquake which devastated Japan. As X portrays earthquakes as a sign of the end of days, CLAMP decided it was not the right time to release the ending they had planned. It has been rumoured that X will start again in the Summer of 2006, though why Gohou Drug was pulled has yet to be explained.

Tamerlane

=D
Reaction score
Country
United States

Thanks for the recomendation! I have heard of that series before but I was not to sure about it.

::rummages thru the ol anime collection::

@_@

Wait.....I actually have part of it here.....how odd.....I wonder how long I have had this?

I guess I will try to watch at least the first part of it this weekend sometime. I will be sure to tell you what I think of it.

SilvaShado

Reaction score
General "Shoujo & Sunjeong & Josei " Discussion

As much as I enjoy reading Shojo comics, I'm past high school being in my 20's, and I'd like to read something more mature. I'm aware of Yaoi and have read and enjoyed a few series. But I want to read some non-yaoi manga that's aimed at people my age.

So the big question is - is there anything in english? Has any Josei been published?

If there is any translated Josei on the internet, I'd also be curious about it.

Thanks!

YukariRin

Reaction score
Country
United States
Re: Josei manga

One Josei title I hear the most about is Kimi wa Petto, or as Tokyopop sells it - Tramps Like Us.  I haven't read it, but I've heard good things about it and the art is decent.  Other than that title I'm not much help, sorry.

It was also adapted into a Jdrama starring Matsumoto Jun, if you're interested in Jdramas...

Samineru

Translator
Reaction score

Hehe, sorry I have no avatar and signature as of yet, just joined 30 seconds ago. Anyways, I have just recently, as in the last two or three years, been turned on to manga. I have up until now stuck to pretty action centered manga but being a guy, have been a bit embarassed to admit I am kind of interested in shoujo manga. I was just waondering what one comic in particular you guys would suggest, and download links.

Miso

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany

I think there's no need for embarassment in reading shoujo if you're a guy. There are many boys out there reading shoujo. :)

I sugget you look thru Your Favourite Shoujo Manga to get some hints on what mangas might be good.
But all in all it depends on which type you like. There are funny series, more serious ones, the magical girl ones and so on.

SilvaShado

Reaction score

Thanks. I'll take a closer look at it.

kyaa

Reaction score
Country
United States

This is an awfully late reply, but I'd highly recommend anything by Moyoco Anno. Happy Mania and Flowers and Bees are two manga of the Josei genre for sale in the US. (I was really impressed with the translation in Flowers and Bees, as well -- they had me laughing out loud.)

oceanizer

Translator
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Japan

Nodame Cantabile - very popular in Japan, but I can't believe no one is Editing it :(

Del Rey is releasing fairy fast speed though.

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Philippines

NANA is a josei manga, you'd enjoy it!

Kare Kano too is considered josei, though they're still in high school. See, Kare Kano isn't too light in the later chapters.

Srin Tuar

Translator
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

Edit: Hrm, I jsut realized none of these are technically josei :(

"Fruits Basket" (shoujo)
Still ongoing, very popular. Alot of extremely emotional scenes that leave you crying. (bring tissue)

"Skip Beat" (shoujo)
A very popular manga in Japan, by the same author as "Toukyou Crazy Paradise".
If you like showbusiness, then youll love this manga.

"ChisaXPon" (seinen)
This is a very mature themed manga, and its very gut-wrenching.
(I was physically nauseated after reading the first four volumes, so this is very traumatic. do not say you werent warned)

"B-shock" (sennen)
A comedy with mature situation, and a few romantic moments. This one is easy seinen (not josei, sorry) reading.
I'm partial to it because Im currently translating it though :P

Edit: fb ended?. I have to order the last volume then.

Ayah

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Philippines

Fruits Basket just ended last month.

ocean said:
Nodame Cantabile - very popular in Japan, but I can't believe no one is Editing it :(

Del Rey is releasing fairy fast speed though.
I believe there's a live action series of this that started recently in Japan. Might look on it.

Nami

Queen of The Damned
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United Nations

Yes. For Nodame Cantabile, the anime series for this is also out this month (jan) in Japan.Check this link...http://www.nodame-anime.com/ (in jap).
It follows quite closely to the manga. There was some Edited Mangas for this up to Vol. 4.

Anyway, another Josei series to check out is actually Honey & Clover - a more bittersweet romance, almost like Kimi wa Petto, but is more about the love lives and choices of young graduates.
The anime series for this is really good too. :)

Dark^_^Chi

Reaction score
Country
Brazil

The only Josei I know is Kimi wa pet. Like very much and watched the drama a year ago.
But the other I don't know I will seach for they, Because I like very much Josei manga.. Is more interest than normaly shoujo ^_^ in some aspects. Nana is josei too? I didn't know O.O.. And I read Nana is very good. ^_^
Bjux!!

baboysai

Pink Warrior
Reaction score
Country
Philippines

Is Nodame Cantabile really good? I hear it a lot, and I believe it was best shoujo manga for 2004?

Nami

Queen of The Damned
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United Nations

Hmm, personally, i won't consider Nodame Cantabile the best shojo manga for 2004, as the romance factor is not that high here. (er..are we talking about romance factor?) Anyway, this manga is more about life, and how the students discover themselves through music. But I guess it won the Manga award that year based on the more realistic settings and problems faced, unlike the rest of the typical shoujo plotline.

if you wanted more Josei factor, Kimi wa petto is a better bet definetely as it talks about a woman in her late 20s, and how she's being otracised by her collegues, because she's just too tall, too smart, too capable and too beautiful = too intimidating &in their culture, there seems to be a glass ceiling. So it basically talks about her life & how she deals with love.

But then, I have read both & like both series, so if you haven't read them, maybe u can give it a try? Or you can check out Nodame Cantabile anime series for a better idea too! :)

baboysai

Pink Warrior
Reaction score
Country
Philippines

I've watched Kimi wa Petto Jdrama. 8/10 rating for me.