Publisher Weekly Oricon Comic Rankings (2009-2015)

Status
Not open for further replies.

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,181
Reaction score
30,232
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Re: Weekly Oricon Comic Rankings

When Jin Kobayashi's one-shot serialized in Shonen Jump. They also mentioned School Rumble(from Kodansha) already pass 7 million copies print as well.
Oh, interesting. But I don't remember that happening recently. :blink
 

Kaizou 10

Banned
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 12, 2013
Messages
2,572
Reaction score
2,467
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Re: Weekly Oricon Comic Rankings

When Jin Kobayashi's one-shot serialized in Shonen Jump. They also mentioned School Rumble(from Kodansha) already pass 7 million copies print as well.
Kobayashi Jin never released one shot in Shounen Jump.
 

Blader

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jun 13, 2013
Messages
274
Reaction score
8
Gender
Male
Country
Thailand
Re: Weekly Oricon Comic Rankings

Oh, interesting. But I don't remember that happening recently. :blink
My bad. It's from Jump Square, not Shonen Jump(but still from Shueisha) and it's from 2008.





700万 mean 7 million.
I Don't know about Natsu no Arashi detail.
 

Kaizou 10

Banned
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 12, 2013
Messages
2,572
Reaction score
2,467
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Re: Weekly Oricon Comic Rankings

November 4th ~ November 10th (Credits for Negative Syndicate / revolution_d1)

01. One Piece #72 (638,853 / 2,178,858)
02. D.Gray-man #24 (153,849 / 331,940)
03. Initial D #48 (119,895)
04. Toriko #27 (118,574 / 270,899)
05. Kimi ni Todoke #20 (113,171 / 790,647)
06. Ajin #3 (77,683)
07. Vampire Knight #19 (67,948)
08. Nisekoi #9 (67,037 / 140,342)
09. Beelzebub #24 (63,024 / 133,673)
10. Ane no Kekkon #6 (61,191)
11. Atashinchi #19 (57,911)
12. Tei no Shihou #6 (48,103)
13. Ohku #10 (44,163 / 182,242)
14. I Am A Hero #13 (41,683 / 136,257)
15. Kiss×Sis #12 (38,683)
16. Lucky☆Star #10 (38,574)
17. Uchuu Kyoudai #22 (38,382 / 365,436)
18. Vagabond #36 (35,450 / 368,695)
19. xxxHolic Rei #1 (34,952 / 303,947)
20. Hetalia Axis Powers #6 (33,786 / 86,150)
21. Gin no Saji #9 (32,873 / 675,039)
22. Magi #19 (32,713 / 493,277)
23. Kanshikan Tsunemori Akane #3 (32,624 / 70,107)
24. Psychometrer #11 (30,813)
25. Inu×Boku SS #10 (30,246 / 320,225)
26. 87 Clockers #4 (29,093)
27. Fairy Tail #40 (27,799 / 465,636)
28. Jojolion #5 (27,584 / 438,690)
29. Witchcraft Works #6 (27,573)
30. Tobaku Datenroku Kaiji One Poker-hen #1 (26,338)
31. Youkai Apart no Yuuga na Nichijou #5 (26,210)
32. Amanchu! #7 (25,470)
33. Omamori Himari #12 (24,564)
34. Super Lovers #6 (23,712 / 79,506)
35. Shingeki no Kyojin #11 (23,540 / 1,440,603)
36. Giant Killing #29 (23,317 / 262,995)
37. One Piece #71 (20,958 / 2,878,237)
38. Uchi no Pochi no Iukoto Niwa #7 (20,592)
39. Hakaijuu #11 (20,285)
40. Otome to Meteor #1 (19,310)
41. Joshiraku #6 (19,167)
42. Vampire Knight Limited Edition #19 (19,059)
43. Sayonara Sorcier #2 (18,985)
44. Horimiya #4 (18,957 / 96,786)
45. Ansatsu Kyoushitsu #6 (18,530 / 611,464)
46. Saezuru Tori wa Habatakanai #2 (18,306 / 44,288)
47. Doubutsu no Kuni #13 (17,833)
48. Kiss×Sis Limited Edition Edition #12 (17,440)
49. Drop OG #7 (16,679)
50. Shingeki no Kyojin #10 (16,404 / 1,904,272)
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,936
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Oricon Comic Rankings

34. Super Lovers #6 (23,712 / 79,506)

Nearly to 100K though!

No extended link this week? Regardless, if Im reading that right looks like Yowamushi Pedal (29 volumes) and Ace of Diamond (29 volumes in it too, highest at #82).
 

MattC302

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2010
Messages
820
Reaction score
296
Gender
Hidden
Country
Marine Headquarters
Re: Weekly Oricon Comic Rankings

Japan needs to show Doubutsu no Kuni more love.

Is there any Oricon sales data for the author's previous work, Konjiki no Gash Bell? I recall it being at least mildly popular. I know it ran in a higher circulation magazine, but that didn't stop Shingeki no Kyojin from breaking out. It just breaks my heart that so few people are reading such an amazing series.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Oricon Comic Rankings

I guess the Non Non Biyori reprints haven't arrived yet. The first six volumes will be getting a "large" reprint arriving in stores sometime this month. I have no idea how large they mean by large, or when this month, but it definitely coming.
 

Kaizou 10

Banned
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 12, 2013
Messages
2,572
Reaction score
2,467
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Re: Weekly Oricon Comic Rankings

Is there any Oricon sales data for the author's previous work, Konjiki no Gash Bell? I recall it being at least mildly popular. I know it ran in a higher circulation magazine, but that didn't stop Shingeki no Kyojin from breaking out. It just breaks my heart that so few people are reading such an amazing series.
I believe it has good tank sale; the last volume was sold about as same as the current Gintama's tank sale.

Yes, the circulation doesn't determine the success of series; it is just that DnK isn't really much interesting as SnK.
 

MattC302

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2010
Messages
820
Reaction score
296
Gender
Hidden
Country
Marine Headquarters
Re: Weekly Oricon Comic Rankings

it is just that DnK isn't really much interesting as SnK.
I highly disagree, but I guess that's a topic for another thread.
 

Kaizou 10

Banned
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 12, 2013
Messages
2,572
Reaction score
2,467
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Re: Weekly Oricon Comic Rankings

I highly disagree, but I guess that's a topic for another thread.
Okay, I'll leave the reply on DnK's thread.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Oricon Comic Rankings

I believe it has good tank sale; the last volume was sold about as same as the current Gintama's tank sale.

Yes, the circulation doesn't determine the success of series; it is just that DnK isn't really much interesting as SnK.
Stop comparing everything to SnK. I don't care if they are in the same magazine, SnK is a once every ten year, freak occurrence. It's not a good point of comparison for any series, or a standard anything else should ever be held to. Plenty of terrible, boring, uninteresting manga sell very well. Quality and popularity are independent variables. Plenty of great manga sell more modestly. Quality abstracts have nothing to do with it.

Volume 12 sold 29,641 (ranked 34) before falling out of the charts.
 

Heiji

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 8, 2009
Messages
2,547
Reaction score
7,928
Gender
Male
Country
Japan

kewl0210

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 27, 2006
Messages
1,390
Reaction score
1,902
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Oricon Comic Rankings

I should also point out that DnK was only on sale for I think 2 days based on this list. Still, it'd be nice if it sold more. I think the fact that the beginning seems kinda for-kids-ish turned people off of it. It's a shame, since it's really not.
 

Blader

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jun 13, 2013
Messages
274
Reaction score
8
Gender
Male
Country
Thailand
Re: Weekly Oricon Comic Rankings

34. Super Lovers #6 (23,712 / 79,506)

Nearly to 100K though!

No extended link this week? Regardless, if Im reading that right looks like Yowamushi Pedal (29 volumes) and Ace of Diamond (29 volumes in it too, highest at #82).
I see all 38 volumes of Ace of Diamond.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Oricon Comic Rankings

I should also point out that DnK was only on sale for I think 2 days based on this list. Still, it'd be nice if it sold more. I think the fact that the beginning seems kinda for-kids-ish turned people off of it. It's a shame, since it's really not.
DnK's sales seem typical of manga from Kodansha shounen specialty magazines. Manga from Shounen Sirirus, Bessatsu Shounen Magazine, Shounen Rival, Magazine Specia, Magazine E-No, and the like seem to average 25 - 50,000 copies per volume. Forgetting Shingeki (an outlier, and exception), the bestsellers from these magazines rarely sell more than 100,000 copies per volume. DnK has never had an anime, is in a niche magazine, probably was not heavily promoted, and was competing with a lot of popular titles in an over saturated genre.
 

kewl0210

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 27, 2006
Messages
1,390
Reaction score
1,902
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Oricon Comic Rankings

They promoted it quite a bit. It's been on the cover some 20 times and gets tons of color pages, plus the mascot of Bessatsu Shounen Magazine is Monoko. Raiku is an established author, as mentioned above, so they tried to launch their new magazine with his new manga as the selling point for it. And as we've said, it did all right, but it'd be nice if it sold more, since it's really good. And stuff in Bessatsu that sold a lot less got animes. I still hope it gets one.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Oricon Comic Rankings

Cover and color pages are insular forms of promotion. They are not going to reach anyone who does not buy the magazine or already read the series. Bessatsu Shounen Magazine is marketed to a small niche, it was never intended to be a high circulation magazine. It did not seem like DnK was heavily promoted to the general Japanese manga buying public, readers who don't buy Bessatsu ShoMag, or manga magazines at all. Raiku is an established artist, but his name alone is not enough to guarantee sales. He's not Obata, Adachi, Takahashi Rumiko, or someone like that.

Other than SnK, the only Bessatsu anime I can think of are Aku no Hana and Sankarea. I don't think volume sales played a role in the marketing decision. Sankarea was a love comedy easily marketed to bishoujo fans. The makers of Aku no Hana obviously did not have conventional anime in mind. Commercial popularity probably was not a consideration when they licensed the manga. The anime of Shinseki yori and Mardock Scramble were based on novels. The manga were not licensed from Bessatsu, they were there manga-izations promoting the anime. They don't really count. The Mardock Scramble maga happened to be pretty good. Didn't read Shinseki yori, but I watched the anime.
 
Last edited:

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,936
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Oricon Comic Rankings

Cover and color pages are insular forms of promotion. They are not going to reach anyone who does not buy the magazine or already read the series. Bessatsu Shounen Magazine is marketed to a small niche, it was never intended to be a high circulation magazine. It did not seem like DnK was heavily promoted to the general Japanese manga buying public, readers who don't buy Bessatsu ShoMag, or manga magazines at all. Raiku is an established artist, but his name alone is not enough to guarantee sales. He's not Obata, Adachi, Takahashi Rumiko, or someone like that.

Other than SnK, the only Bessatsu anime I can think of are Aku no Hana and Sankarea. I don't think volume sales played a role in the marketing decision. Sankarea was a love comedy easily marketed to bishoujo fans. The makers of Aku no Hana obviously did not have conventional anime in mind. Commercial popularity probably was not a consideration when they licensed the manga. The anime of Shinseki yori and Mardock Scramble were based on novels. The manga were not licensed from Bessatsu, they were there manga-izations promoting the anime. They don't really count. The Mardock Scramble maga happened to be pretty good. Didn't read Shinseki yori, but I watched the anime.
I thought the shin sekai yori manga ended up being some yuri affair instead of what the anime or novel was?
 

Asarii

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 2, 2010
Messages
2,927
Reaction score
1,962
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
Re: Weekly Oricon Comic Rankings

02. D.Gray-man #24 (153,849 / 331,940)
I'm happy DGM is doing well after not releasing anything in a while. :')
 

vampire killer

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 3, 2011
Messages
802
Reaction score
465
Gender
Male
Country
Bulgaria
Re: Weekly Oricon Comic Rankings

where can i fint the top 500 list?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top