- Joined
- Mar 6, 2013
- Messages
- 1,010
- Reaction score
- 814
- Gender
- Hidden
- Country
-
Manga is a niche in the US. But even their bigger Jump titles don't seem to post numbers that are all that great.That's not decent at all, ICV2 doesn't track every store either. But with those numbers their are losing money. (4-5K might be enough to break even in some cases)
I don't think they need to sell all that many copies to break even, or they would have been bankrupt a while back. As a side note, one of Viz's freelance letterers said that one of the series that they follow only made it into like, the hundreds of units sold. This may have been Excel Saga, though they never confirmed it. But I digress.Viz doesn't sell stuff to not lose money, silver spoon should be more costly than a typical Vertical license (the ones that gave us some numbers).
So to break even I'd say 6-7k for Silver Spoon, viz would want at the very least, to double that number.
I know that ICv2 didn't post ALL of what was sold, because I don't think Amazon and Rightstuf and whatnot are accounted for, but brick and mortar store numbers are low.