Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2014] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Where would the financial gain be in that though?
Especially for a completed series like Reborn! that in the long-run of Jump series will just end up being forgotten by most like most Jump battle series of medium popularity.
Reborn! was no Dragon Ball, Kenshin, or Yu Yu Hakusho as those series still have avid fanbases even today despite their series having ended a long time ago.
It's not unheard of for completed manga to get anime. Ping Pong will get new anime this spring, while Mushishi had a new TV special in January, and a second season coming in April. Mangaka-san to Assistant-san to's anime was announced before the sequel began serialization. I can't imagine Artland would be too interested in finishing Reborn, but completed manga can get anime without being Dragonball.
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
It's not unheard of for completed manga to get anime. Mangaka-san to Assistant-san to, and Ping Pong will get new anime this spring, while Mushishi had a new TV special in January, and a second season coming in April. I can't imagine Artland would be too interested in finishing Reborn, but completed manga can get anime without being Dragonball.
It's not absolutely unheard of but it's incredibly rare. Especially for Jump because they have so many other series they could animate.
Hell, the only Jump examples I can think were Level E and Dragon Ball (Although I wouldn't quite count DBK because it's just a repackaged version of the second anime)
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
It's not absolutely unheard of but it's incredibly rare. Especially for Jump because they have so many other series they could animate.
Hell, the only Jump examples I can think were Level E and Dragon Ball (Although I wouldn't quite count DBK because it's just a repackaged version of the second anime)
It's not that rare. It's not something that happens every season, but it's not rare. All it takes is interest from a studio. I don't really feel like trolling through old anime lists for more examples, but I'm sure there are plenty.

Hatsukoi Ltd. is another example I can think of from Jump. The anime began about a year after the manga ended. JoJo's technically is not completed, but the 2012 anime adapted material that serialized over twenty-five years ago.
 
Last edited:

Korean Kuroko

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Nov 27, 2013
Messages
210
Reaction score
38
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Puerto Rico
I'm a little surprised there hasn't been an english Edited Manga of Illegal Rare yet.
You'd expect that since it's by the mangaka of Nurahiyon there'd be one already.
What I'm waiting for is Illegal Rare's thread or do we wait till their is an Edited Manga?
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
see also: Play Ball and Buso Renkin. Heck, there's probably a ton of examples of post-serial anime in Jump. it's shown up a fair amount of times this century, at least.
 

calimike

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2011
Messages
349
Reaction score
422
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Is it DeathNote spin-off?
High school student who read a book seen in DeathNote ep 37 (filler character). Is he next Kira?
 

perroloco

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 8, 2008
Messages
1,056
Reaction score
915
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Mexico
It's not that rare. It's not something that happens every season, but it's not rare. All it takes is interest from a studio. I don't really feel like trolling through old anime lists for more examples, but I'm sure there are plenty.

Hatsukoi Ltd. is another example I can think of from Jump. The anime began about a year after the manga ended. JoJo's technically is not completed, but the 2012 anime adapted material that serialized over twenty-five years ago.
I don't think is that weird for JUMP series to get animes after they have finished.
As Kaiten mentioned Jojo and Hatsukoi both had finished, same with Ring Ni Kakero a manga that was in the 70s. Then you have this other manga made by Buronson I think, Keiji which got an anime right now. Also Level E.
Then you have "Jump's survivors" series that made it to have a long run but weren't super popular in the TOC and weren't super hot sellers either (Maybe that's why they didn't get adapted earlier) like Hoshin engi -it got adapted in 1999, Hoshin Engi finished in 2000-, Black Cat, Buso Renkin.
Kochikame got an anime like 20 years after serialization.

Basically if its not a big hit it might interest an anime company that sees potential for niche fans of the series.
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
I don't think is that weird for JUMP series to get animes after they have finished.
As Kaiten mentioned Jojo and Hatsukoi both had finished, same with Ring Ni Kakero a manga that was in the 70s. Then you have this other manga made by Buronson I think, Keiji which got an anime right now. Also Level E.
Then you have "Jump's survivors" series that made it to have a long run but weren't super popular in the TOC and weren't super hot sellers either (Maybe that's why they didn't get adapted earlier) like Hoshin engi -it got adapted in 1999, Hoshin Engi finished in 2000-, Black Cat, Buso Renkin.
Kochikame got an anime like 20 years after serialization.

Basically if its not a big hit it might interest an anime company that sees potential for niche fans of the series.
JoJo technically didn't finish. It just moved magazines.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,078
Reaction score
6,935
Gender
Male
Country
United States
They did give an update on the One Punch Man print release situation here in the US, saying they sure would like to bring it to print.

Their (viz) such teases on the podcast, someone asked about AssClass and they were like never say never/were evaluating it...did things change?!

Author comments. (Jump #11, 2/10) I hope lots did buy World Trigger v4.
 
Last edited:

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
JoJo technically didn't finish. It just moved magazines.
Well, that depends how pedantic you're being. The original JJBA totally concluded with the end of part 5, before its relaunch as Part 6: Stone Ocean. Since then it's relaunched every time, with SBR and JoJoLion being so far removed from the original title as to have completely fresh volume numbering. So... Yeah, JJBA totally did finish. It's just keeps coming back.
 

perroloco

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 8, 2008
Messages
1,056
Reaction score
915
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Mexico
That's like saying Kinnikuman didn't finish at volume 38.. I mean its weird that Yudetamago chose to continue the numbring at 39 but it totally finished in volume 38 -.-
I mean there are series like Captain Tsubasa where I could go "Ok its an ongoing story, it hasn't finished" but with every Jojo story being so different from one another I think you can say Jojo was finished. IMO I just take every Jojo as a different manga, at least I take parts 1-6 as different mangas to SBR and Jojolion.
 

Txapeldun

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 25, 2013
Messages
599
Reaction score
236
Country
Abu Dhabi
Technically part 6 is also a different series. As for Kinnikuman, there was Kinnikuman 2 between volumes 38 and 39. And the time lap between those two volumes was like 20 years?
 

Stark700

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 6, 2013
Messages
1,010
Reaction score
814
Gender
Hidden
Country
Winterfell
They did give an update on the One Punch Man print release situation here in the US, saying they sure would like to bring it to print.

Their (viz) such teases on the podcast, someone asked about AssClass and they were like never say never/were evaluating it...did things change?!
I'd guess One Punch Man would make it to print eventually.

AssClass is probably in the same situation. It was never like it was impossible to come here, but very unlikely in the digital magazine.
Before, they stated that they were evaluating their options, which I believe was said about Soma at one point too.

An idea was thrown around for a mature digital magazine by a subber. So there are a bunch of ways they could go. They're thinking of the way that's of least consequence.
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Technically part 6 is also a different series. As for Kinnikuman, there was Kinnikuman 2 between volumes 38 and 39. And the time lap between those two volumes was like 20 years?
more than that, there were TWO Yudetamago Kinnikuman Nisei series (and a gender-bender spin-off) inbetween volume 38 and 40 (39 is just one-shots from the gap in publication), both REALLY long and now almost definitely inconsequential to the main title. Yude have made everything a little... complicated with their return to the original series.

... Kinda a digression to the point, but thought it was interesting
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
JoJo technically didn't finish. It just moved magazines.
Even if it technically has not ended, JoJo's got an anime way after the fact. Part one and two were serialized from 1987 - 1989, part three from 1989 - 1992. It took 25 years to get part one a proper TV anime. As Maxy said, the main storyline (the JoJo's equivalent of Universal Century) ended with part six. Steel Ball Run and Jojolion take place in an alternate universe. It's a bit akin to saying that St. Seiya, Hokuta no Ken, City Hunter, Nube, and Kinnikuman are still serialized. All of them have side stories currently serialized after switching magazines. Nube also has a side story in a Shueisha magazine, Reibai Izuna: Ascension in Grand Jump.
 
Last edited:

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,078
Reaction score
6,935
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Moderator Notice:
Please refrain from asking and inquiring ceaselessly each week about the timing of the early and normal TOC.~ Sharkbait
 
Last edited:

jagman1x3

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Sep 19, 2012
Messages
2,616
Reaction score
2,843
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Hachi and Koi no Cupid are both ending in Issue 12. Guess next week will tell us what the third (and maybe fourth) cancellations are. Beelzebub is getting color and 23 pages, so probably that.
 

Kaizou 10

Banned
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 12, 2013
Messages
2,572
Reaction score
2,467
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Guess next week will tell us what the third (and maybe fourth) cancellations are.
I think most likely just three series (Hachi, Koi no Cupid, and Beelzebub) going to end on this round.
 

jagman1x3

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Sep 19, 2012
Messages
2,616
Reaction score
2,843
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I think most likely just three series (Hachi, Koi no Cupid, and Beelzebub) going to end on this round.
I hope so, because if there's a fourth it's almost definitely Iron Knight and I'd like to see that last at least a little longer. Doubt it'll make it past three volumes unless it really gets better, though.
 

Kaizou 10

Banned
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 12, 2013
Messages
2,572
Reaction score
2,467
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
I hope so, because if there's a fourth it's almost definitely Iron Knight and I'd like to see that last at least a little longer. Doubt it'll make it past three volumes unless it really gets better, though.
I think Iron Knight will be kept for the next round.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top