Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2014] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaizou 10

Banned
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 12, 2013
Messages
2,572
Reaction score
2,467
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Has nothing to say anymore and
I think the manga will finish when Seirin will defeat Rakuzan
If the author after this will continue the series,then I suppose it will have the same fate of Bleach
The author doesn't choose when the series end; the editors do. :)
 

Txapeldun

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 25, 2013
Messages
599
Reaction score
236
Country
Abu Dhabi
I was speaking about them to be next bottom dweller,but is obvius that wouldn't be dropped.Even if I hope Nisekoi get dropped,in my opinion is one of the worst currently shonen jump manga.
TWB has the typical character that girls love and drawing seems really good,and Kuroko is going to end,so it can have the possibility to become popular.
Actually if Nisekoi becomes a bottom dweller, which is not happening because it's becoming huge, it may be axed.
I dropped it really soon, so I don't know much about its current quality, but I asume it is good enough for it to have an anime.
But then, if things change, the anime is over and the tankobon sales decrease (and the case is the contrary due to anime popularity), Nisekoi may be then axed.
It's not like its that big. (And I mean now)
 

Kaizou 10

Banned
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 12, 2013
Messages
2,572
Reaction score
2,467
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Does that really guarantee success, I thought it was stated Kuroko was off to a rocky start at the beginning even though it has amazing and lovable character designs.
It is more like the girls love Kuroko's anime drawing, not much on manga (on the early parts).
 

arsg

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
May 30, 2011
Messages
77
Reaction score
13
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I don't think it's likely that TWB succeeds. It's competing directly with Kuroko and Haikyuu for votes, it'll have to really distinguish itself to be noticed.
 

Kaizou 10

Banned
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 12, 2013
Messages
2,572
Reaction score
2,467
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
I think we should actually judge about Tokyo Wonder Boys after the chapter is actually released. I think it is no point to say it'll fail because of Kuroko and Haikyuu.
 

lynxian

Translator
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jun 24, 2009
Messages
103
Reaction score
162
Age
41
Gender
Female
Country
United States
I can't speak for TWB yet (though I generally don't like sports series), but my favorite of the new batch thus far has been iShoujo. I'm rooting for it to be a keeper, but at this point, there's no way of telling which of the new series will stick around for a while.
 

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,422
Reaction score
39,182
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I think we should actually judge about Tokyo Wonder Boys after the chapter is actually released. I think it is no point to say it'll fail because of Kuroko and Haikyuu.
I think that is more easy to say that will be fail because Jump don't have a popular soccer manga in more than a decade, but who knows, i'm expect a good soccer manga

Actually if Nisekoi becomes a bottom dweller, which is not happening because it's becoming huge, it may be axed.
I dropped it really soon, so I don't know much about its current quality, but I asume it is good enough for it to have an anime.
Believe me, Nisekoi was much better when you dropped, much better.
 
Last edited:

Reverberate

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Dec 12, 2013
Messages
23
Reaction score
3
Age
30
Gender
Hidden
Country
The Wall
After reading the first Illegal rare chapter, I think that this could potentially be a keeper.

I mean, it feels like Hunter x Hunter, and since Hiatus x Hiatus is on hiatus, a 'replacement' would at least fill the hole in my heart a little bit. That's not to say that it doesn't have its flaws. I think that the emo looking vampire Bishie protagonist isn't a great choice.

I'll have to read Stealth Symphony to decide which series I like more! I'll give the edge to Stealth since... DRRR!! Author...

Still, fav of the batch is iShoujo though :hip

-----------------

I have some questions about the manga artist competition from Shueisha, since me and a friend decided that we should try and enter this competition:

- Is it annually? When does it usually start?

- What is the age requirement to participate? Both of us aren't quite 18+ yet, around that 15-16 age.

Thank you in advance!
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
I think that is more easy to say that will be fail because Jump don't have a popular soccer manga in more than a decade, but who knows.
A meaningless concept. When was the last popular volleyball title before High Kyuu? The last popular basketball title before The Basketball Which Kuroko Plays? The subject matters far less than the actual quality of the comic, which we're all waiting on.

I have some questions about the manga artist competition from Shueisha, since me and a friend decided that we should try and enter this competition:

- Is it annually? When does it usually start?

- What is the age requirement to participate? Both of us aren't quite 18+ yet, around that 15-16 age.

Thank you in advance!
The international manga competition was brand new this year, and we won't know when the next one is, or if there will even be another one, so there's no good answer to the first questions. I don't think there was an age limitation, however, so if it DOES happen again there's no reason you shouldn't try.
 
Last edited:

Kaizou 10

Banned
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 12, 2013
Messages
2,572
Reaction score
2,467
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
I think that is more easy to say that will be fail because Jump don't have a popular soccer manga in more than a decade, but who knows.
Even though Jump didn't have any hit soccer series for more than a decade, can you determine to say that Jump will never, never, never, never, and never going to have any hit soccer manga from now on?
 

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,422
Reaction score
39,182
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Even though Jump didn't have any hit soccer series for more than a decade, can you determine to say that Jump will never, never, never, never, and never going to have any hit soccer manga from now on?
Obviously that not, i'm just talking that is more easy to determinate why Tokyo Wonder Boys could be a fail

A meaningless concept. When was the last popular volleyball title before High Kyuu? The last popular basketball title before The Basketball Which Kuroko Plays? The subject matters far less than the actual quality of the comic, which we're all waiting on.
I think that is different, how much volley mangas had in WSJ? very few, and how much soccer mangas since Whistle? a lot, and how much of them was big fail? all of them, you understand? i'm not talking that TWB will be a failure, just talking about why he could be a fail
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Obviously that not, i'm just talking that is more easy to determinate why Tokyo Wonder Boys could be a fail



I think that is different, how much volley mangas had in WSJ? very few, and how much soccer mangas since Whistle? a lot, and how much of them was big fail? all of them, you understand? i'm not talking that TWB will be a failure, just talking about why he could be a fail
Then let's go with the other one. Because there's been more than enough failed basketball titles over the last umpteen years. Still, that's not the point. It means nothing either way. You could use the exact same argument to say that this new football series could be a success, because it's been a long time without one and another is surely due. It's exactly as flawed an argument and uses the same proof.

My only concern, pre-actually seeing any of the title, is that this being rooted in another world cup event bodes ill for it for the more cynical readers, as it did back with the last world-cup timed push for a football title. it's a two-sided blade in that regard though, as the timing could also cement it in the magazine regardless of quality. Hard to call.
 

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,422
Reaction score
39,182
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Then let's go with the other one. Because there's been more than enough failed basketball titles over the last umpteen years. Still, that's not the point. It means nothing either way. You could use the exact same argument to say that this new football series could be a success, because it's been a long time without one and another is surely due. It's exactly as flawed an argument and uses the same proof.

My only concern, pre-actually seeing any of the title, is that this being rooted in another world cup event bodes ill for it for the more cynical readers, as it did back with the last world-cup timed push for a football title. it's a two-sided blade in that regard though, as the timing could also cement it in the magazine regardless of quality. Hard to call.
If you want ignore the terrible historic of soccer manga in Shonen Jump (worst than Basket), okay, and i don't know why you is so serious about it when i just make a comment to Kaizou, and not saying that TWB will be a failure
 

Kaizou 10

Banned
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 12, 2013
Messages
2,572
Reaction score
2,467
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Well, I think the judgement about the series survival based on the past data is pretty meaningless. It is good to use the past data to see how the past series did in Jump; but, I don't think the past going to impact on the upcoming future.

If you made the judgement based on after reading chapter 1 and you thought it was boring, then it is understandable. Everyone has different taste and the series cannot satisfy every individuals.
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
If you want ignore the terrible historic of soccer manga in Shonen Jump (worst than Basket), okay, and i don't know why you is so serious about it when i just make a comment to Kaizou, and not saying that TWB will be a failure
I'm not ignoring it, I'm just pointing out how inconsequential it is. Y'know, as a discussion. On a thread, on a forum, a public space for discussing. And why not, it's been more stimulating a topic than most of the stuff we all end up talking about on here.
 

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,422
Reaction score
39,182
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Well, I think the judgement about the series survival based on the past data is pretty meaningless. It is good to use the past data to see how the past series did in Jump; but, I don't think the past going to impact on the upcoming future.
I'm not ignoring it, I'm just pointing out how inconsequential it is. Y'know, as a discussion. On a thread, on a forum, a public space for discussing. And why not, it's been more stimulating a topic than most of the stuff we all end up talking about on here.
for both

And i'm just talking that is more easy to said that TWB could be a fail because the terrible historic of soccer mangas and not because Kuroko and Haikyuu (page 75), actually, i'm expect a good manga, i like the art of preview.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,071
Reaction score
6,930
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Are heads rolling at viz HQ, what a nebulous tweet.
Heated and meaningful meeting at VIZ. We are going to see lots of changes this year. Going to dinner now.
 

arsg

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
May 30, 2011
Messages
77
Reaction score
13
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I think we should actually judge about Tokyo Wonder Boys after the chapter is actually released. I think it is no point to say it'll fail because of Kuroko and Haikyuu.
I'm not making presumptions about the quality of the chapter at all. I'm just saying what it needs to do to succeed. There are only so many slots on a ballot and unless it can can show sports fans something that says 'vote for me instead of Kuroko or HQ' (which it might just do), it will have a hard time.
 

Kaizou 10

Banned
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 12, 2013
Messages
2,572
Reaction score
2,467
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
I'm just saying what it needs to do to succeed. There are only so many slots on a ballot and unless it can can show sports fans something that says 'vote for me instead of Kuroko or HQ', it will have a hard time.
I don't really think people are not going to vote TWB because there is Kuroko and Haikyuu; it is more about whether it is interesting or not. The number of sports series don't really matter, like not only sports fan are voting those two series.
 

arsg

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
May 30, 2011
Messages
77
Reaction score
13
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I don't really think people are not going to vote TWB because there is Kuroko and Haikyuu; it is more about whether it is interesting or not. The number of sports series don't really matter, like not only sports fan are voting those two series.
Agree, it's gotta be interesting. If it does its own thing instead of trying to chase Kuroko or HQ's audience its chances greatly improve.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top