Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2014] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,076
Reaction score
6,934
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Nice way to do the World Trigger at animate.
 

Stark700

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 6, 2013
Messages
1,010
Reaction score
814
Gender
Hidden
Country
Winterfell
Are heads rolling at viz HQ, what a nebulous tweet.

Heated and meaningful meeting at VIZ. We are going to see lots of changes this year. Going to dinner now.
That's what I'm wondering. Maybe the podcast will shed some light on this.
 

MattC302

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2010
Messages
820
Reaction score
296
Gender
Hidden
Country
Marine Headquarters
Normally it is uncouth to share the state of private business over social media, so perhaps "heated" isn't as bad as he meant it to sound. When I think "heated", I think "argument". Maybe he really meant "passionate". Either way, I'm kind of fearing a ESJ price hike. I mean, it will still probably be super cheap, but I only really read Toriko and One Piece, so every extra dollar is bad news for me.
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
I don't really think people are not going to vote TWB because there is Kuroko and Haikyuu; it is more about whether it is interesting or not. The number of sports series don't really matter, like not only sports fan are voting those two series.
You need to stop quoting Bakuman with the whole "if a series is interesting it will succeed" because in the real world that isn't really all that true. The series in Jump are all competing against each-other, especially the ones in the same genre. People who are already fans of sports series likely already have there favorite in Kuroko or Haikyuu, and chances are it will be very difficult for TWB to steal votes from those fanbases.
It seems to me like Jump is serializing TWB as just a placeholder in the magazine.
 

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
You need to stop quoting Bakuman with the whole "if a series is interesting it will succeed" because in the real world that isn't really all that true. The series in Jump are all competing against each-other, especially the ones in the same genre. People who are already fans of sports series likely already have there favorite in Kuroko or Haikyuu, and chances are it will be very difficult for TWB to steal votes from those fanbases.
It seems to me like Jump is serializing TWB as just a placeholder in the magazine.
Actually, going by how other magazines are also serializing football series right now, it would seem they are doing it because they think the world cup might affect how people view it.
When we've had 4 battle manga (One Piece, Naruto, Bleach and Toriko) co-existing, it's not wrong to assume another sports manga can do well too.
I have doubts too but seeing how the character art is made to almost immediately grab a girl's attention (same as KnB and HQ!!), I think it can do decent (as long as the story is a interesting and intense).
 

FanOfAniManga

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
May 14, 2011
Messages
488
Reaction score
245
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Doesn't it seem like both TWB and iShojo were already meant to be only placeholders, like Koganeiro and Jaco? I mean, it's already been confirmed TWB was meant to coincide with the World Cup. And if I recall correctly, iShojo is just a series of unrelated short stories.
 

perroloco

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 8, 2008
Messages
1,056
Reaction score
915
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Mexico
Wasn't whistle made to coincide with the World Cup too?
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
When we've had 4 battle manga (One Piece, Naruto, Bleach and Toriko) co-existing, it's not wrong to assume another sports manga can do well too.
That's comparing apples and oranges.
Just has primarily and for the most part still is a magazine known for and comprised of its battle manga.
Yes, there have been successful sports manga as well, but the fact remains that the majority of Jump readers know it for the battle manga which gives those series a higher chance at thriving then series of other genre do (but still not a large chance because of how cutthroat Jump is).

---------- Post added at 11:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:00 PM ----------

iShojo is just a series of unrelated short stories.
I haven't read the first chapter of iShoujo yet, but I'm pretty sure the person who said that was mistaken.
 

Eru13

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 19, 2011
Messages
829
Reaction score
1,149
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Mexico
Doesn't it seem like both TWB and iShojo were already meant to be only placeholders, like Koganeiro and Jaco? I mean, it's already been confirmed TWB was meant to coincide with the World Cup. And if I recall correctly, iShojo is just a series of unrelated short stories.
I actually disagree with you on everything you just said (which is kinda weird actually XD)
First of all, TWB is most likely serialized because of how close the world cup is, but, that doesn't necessarily mean that it will end when the world cup ends, depending on its popularity it could last much longer than that, then again, I don't think they'll cancel it before July, no matter how low it ranks
As for iShoujo, so far it's a normal romcom, and I don't really think it will be a series of short unrelated stories, that was being said because of one of the editor-inserted text in the spread that was taken a bit too literally without its real meaning relating to that
 

Kaizou 10

Banned
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 12, 2013
Messages
2,572
Reaction score
2,467
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
As for iShoujo, so far it's a normal romcom, and I don't really think it will be a series of short unrelated stories, that was being said because of one of the editor-inserted text in the spread that was taken a bit too literally without its real meaning relating to that
Isn't omnibus mean the collection of short stories (but, not for unrelated)?
 

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 3, 2006
Messages
3,930
Reaction score
5,624
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
To be fair to those saying iShoujo is a collection of short stories, the current 'arc' is moving kinda fast. Like if the series was only about this couple, there's no way it'd last more than a volume. The 'conflict' has already started in chapter two, and I don't see them being able to get much more mileage out of it unless the author stretches things to a horrible degree. So I have to say that I agree with the idea of it being the app and how different characters use it. That being said, I do like the two characters we've gotten so far and it makes me a little sad to think we'll have to get to know other characters after them. Hopefully the author can keep the charming writing up.
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
You need to stop quoting Bakuman with the whole "if a series is interesting it will succeed" because in the real world that isn't really all that true. The series in Jump are all competing against each-other, especially the ones in the same genre. People who are already fans of sports series likely already have there favorite in Kuroko or Haikyuu, and chances are it will be very difficult for TWB to steal votes from those fanbases.
It seems to me like Jump is serializing TWB as just a placeholder in the magazine.
You're assuming that all sports fans are fans of all sports. It's just a blanket term used for all sorts of different titles, and like with how people actually like different sports in real life, it's fair to assume that there's an audience for each individual sports or sports title in Jump. After all, they've run a fair amount.

Also forget it being a Bakuman thing, the whole idea of something only needing to be interesting to succeed is just a solid stance to have. It' a meritocratic belief, and Jump fits that bill pretty dang well with the importance placed on achieving popularity, and popularity generally being a thing that occurs because people saw something interesting en masse.

Isn't omnibus mean the collection of short stories (but, not for unrelated)?
An omnibus is just "a collection of stories". Length doesn't come into it.
 

Kaizou 10

Banned
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 12, 2013
Messages
2,572
Reaction score
2,467
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
I'm not sure if this one is real or not; but, it looks like people in 2ch is starting to say that it is real. So, I'll upload just in case.

658 :名無しさんの次レスにご期待下さい:2014/02/26(水) 18:24:04.10 ID:ZoJARckW0
掲載順まだだったんか

トウキョウワンダーボーイズ
ワンピ
ナルト
ステルス
暗殺教室
ソーマ
ハイキュー
I少女
ワールドトリガー
ニセコイ
さいき
イリーガル
磯辺
黒子
トリコ
ソウル
銀魂
鰤
こち亀
アイアン

770 :名無しさんの次レスにご期待下さい:2014/02/26(水) 19:02:53.70 ID:c6H6FQdx0
>>658コレホンモノ
新連載の最初のナレが
「この島国に留まること ――それはトップレベルのサッカー選手として 死を意味する――」
って導入で神海のアレ思い出した

3 :名無しさんの次レスにご期待下さい:2014/02/26(水) 20:08:56.38 ID:dqjMe77H0
トウキョウワンダーボーイズ(TWB)
ワンピ
ナルト
ステルス C
暗殺教室
ソーマ
ハイキュー  C
I少女
ワールドトリガー
ニセコイ C
斉木
イリーガル
磯辺
黒子
トリコ
ソウル
銀魂
鰤
こち亀
アイアン

表紙巻頭 トリガー
Cカラー TWB ニセコイ 暗殺 
Issue 14:
Tokyo Wonder Boys (Cover, Lead CP, New Series)
One Piece
Naruto
Stealth Symphony (CP)
Ansatsu Kyoushitsu
Shokugeki no Souma
Haikyuu!! (CP)
I Shoujo
World Trigger
Nisekoi (CP)
Saiki Kusuo no Sainan
Illegal Rare
Isobe Isobee Monogatari
Kuroko no Basket
Toriko
Soul Catcher(S)
Gintama
Bleach
Kochira Katsushika-ku Kameari Kouen-mae Hashutsujo
Iron Knight

Issue 15:
Cover, Lead CP: World Trigger
CP: Nisekoi, Ansatsu Kyoushitsu, Tokyo Wonder Boys
 

AeonCalcos

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Nov 6, 2011
Messages
109
Reaction score
119
Gender
Male
Country
Greece
Finally! World Trigger well-deserved cover and lead cp! :inu:drmke:mootastic:carltoni:victory
looks like they're tired of voting toriko, we will see next week:lulzobito
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Toriko ranking is a little uncommon, I prefer wait to see whether it is real.
 

Kaizou 10

Banned
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 12, 2013
Messages
2,572
Reaction score
2,467
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Toriko ranking is a little uncommon, I prefer wait to see whether it is real.
Then, we have to wait until Kaze uploads the pictures. As of now, 2chers are saying it is real.
 

vinceled

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2012
Messages
1,185
Reaction score
992
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
France
Weird I would have assumed WT getting color, lead CP in chapter 52 seeing as it had two weeks off recently...
 

Txapeldun

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 25, 2013
Messages
599
Reaction score
236
Country
Abu Dhabi
Weird I would have assumed WT getting color, lead CP in chapter 52 seeing as it had two weeks off recently...
It was only one week IIRC.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top