Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2014] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,071
Reaction score
6,930
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I think you guys are blowing this out of proportion if the numerous anime series depicting child soldiers managed to make it over to the US just fine I'm pretty sure this can. It'll be interesting to see how the jokes get translated though
Yes people forgot viz did license and release Jormungand (manga).
 

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
Nobody, and I mean nobody, will do any kind of report or investigation into manga released here. Not that my country is lax about "violence getting to the kids" or whatever but nobody gives a shit about manga here. It's sad but definitely true. I've seen one mention of manga on tv in my life (that wasn't directly anime related) and it was a crappy Tokyopop commercial for Sgt. Frog on a VHS tape. No, regardless of how well it sells, there will be no controversy.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
I think you guys are blowing this out of proportion if the numerous anime series depicting child soilders managed to make it over to the US just fine I'm pretty sure this can. It'll be interesting to see how the jokes get translated though
The possibility was brought up closer to recent events of gun violence, specifically the Sandy Hook incident. I think most of us agreed it would have been a poor choice to push it then. But who even knows if they considered it back then or not? Sometimes there's delays with things out of it looking like poor taste, that's all. It happened with series that depicted natural disasters after the Touhoku Earthquake, as well as TV/Movies after 9/11. It's just bad timing in that regard.

But now? I don't see how licensing it isn't a "good idea"
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,105
Reaction score
5,852
Age
33
Country
United States
I think AssClass has the potential to be the next Naruto in America, I can already imagine kids easily wanting to be like Karma-kun. It has big potential here. I think the media criticism spin is just really overblown and such. The media will most likely spend more time trying to prove that kids playing violent videogames is the cause of aberrant children behaviors in the classroom and out of it, than a manga series that their library picked up for kids interested in learning about Japanese comics.

Even articles a few days ago | "Fox News Confident Dark Souls is the Cause of Most School Shootings and Racism in America:"
I don't understand how you can think that's conceivable at all.
Do you not remember Sandy Hook? The second word gets out that there is a children's comic book out in America about middle schoolers with guns trying to kill their teacher in the classroom there will be a never-ending shitstorm.
The video game analogy doesn't work at all here. Not to mention I can't comprehend why you would think it has the potential to become the next Naruto here, for one, if the series ever gets an anime, there is literally no chance it will air on American TV. No channel will risk it. Not to mention, Karma as a character is cool but still a pretty generic shonen archetype.

I mean this isn't the first time manga caused a media shitstorm in America. Death Note did for example.
This however (let me say it again) is a manga about children trying to kill their teacher in the classroom WITH GUNS. In a post Sandy-Hook America.

This is not going to go over well for Viz, not at all.

---------- Post added at 06:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:46 PM ----------

It's no different than the criticism of violent movies and videogames. So if those morons want to go after it, then...well, there's no such thing as bad publicity.
Name me a video game or movie aimed at children that is a comedy about children with guns trying to kill their teacher in the classroom.

---------- Post added at 06:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:48 PM ----------

I think you guys are blowing this out of proportion if the numerous anime series depicting child soilders managed to make it over to the US just fine I'm pretty sure this can. It'll be interesting to see how the jokes get translated though
Child soldiers are A LOT different than a series that for the most part takes place in the real world and is about school-children using guns to try and kill their teacher in the classroom.

---------- Post added at 06:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:49 PM ----------

Nobody, and I mean nobody, will do any kind of report or investigation into manga released here. Not that my country is lax about "violence getting to the kids" or whatever but nobody gives a shit about manga here. It's sad but definitely true. I've seen one mention of manga on tv in my life (that wasn't directly anime related) and it was a crappy Tokyopop commercial for Sgt. Frog on a VHS tape. No, regardless of how well it sells, there will be no controversy.
I'm sorry man, but I seriously don't think you understand how crazy America is with this type of stuff.
You really can't compare any other manga to this because there isn't one with this same concept being published in America.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
I don't understand how you can think that's conceivable at all.
Do you not remember Sandy Hook? The second word gets out that there is a children's comic book out in America about middle schoolers with guns trying to kill their teacher in the classroom there will be a never-ending shitstorm.
The video game analogy doesn't work at all here. Not to mention I can't comprehend why you would think it has the potential to become the next Naruto here, for one, if the series ever gets an anime, there is literally no chance it will air on American TV. No channel will risk it. Not to mention, Karma as a character is cool but still a pretty generic shonen archetype.
It doesn't? Because the types that go after these type of things make a much bigger deal out of violence in videogames, than anything else. It's not the first series with violence in school to be licensed, and it won't be the last.
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,105
Reaction score
5,852
Age
33
Country
United States
The possibility was brought up closer to recent events of gun violence, specifically the Sandy Hook incident. I think most of us agreed it would have been a poor choice to push it then. But who even knows if they considered it back then or not? Sometimes there's delays with things out of it looking like poor taste, that's all. It happened with series that depicted natural disasters after the Touhoku Earthquake, as well as TV/Movies after 9/11. It's just bad timing in that regard.

But now? I don't see how licensing it isn't a "good idea"
TV shows or movie that represent disasters like 9/11 in a serious way aren't going to have any trouble because they are done in a tasteful memorial manner.
But I sure as hell guarantee that there would be major hell to pay if a comedy about the 9/11 disaster were to be released in America.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
I think you guys are blowing this out of proportion if the numerous anime series depicting child soilders managed to make it over to the US just fine I'm pretty sure this can. It'll be interesting to see how the jokes get translated though
I think you are missing the point. I don't think anybody is saying that child soldiers or violence is the problem. School violence specifically was the issue. Imagine a comic about students trying to kill their teacher coming out in March 2013, only a few months after the Sandy Hook massacre in December 2012. If the wrong person discovered Assassination Classroom it could have caused more controversy than VIZ is equipped to handle. A manga about school violence might have been a news worthy story at this time last year. Now, not as much. Sandy Hook isn't in the news anymore, violence is not a hot topic right now. In March 2014 Assassination Classroom is not particularly news worthy. Fear of potential backlash could have worried VIZ enough that they did not license Assassination Classroom for ESG as quickly as less popular series like Bulge.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Name me a video game or movie aimed at children that is a comedy about children with guns trying to kill their teacher in the classroom.
I think you're fixated on the specifics of the series, rather than being happy for the fact that it's licensed. :XD

I don't know, if people actually take notice of this, I don't see Viz doing anything about it. Why should they? Video game publishers don't.
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,105
Reaction score
5,852
Age
33
Country
United States
It doesn't? Because the types that go after these type of things make a much bigger deal out of violence in videogames, than anything else. It's not the first series with violence in school to be licensed, and it won't be the last.
The "violence in school" is not the issue here.
It's the gun violence in school, the ages of the characters, and the fact that the series is a comedy.
 

Ecchi Boy

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 31, 2011
Messages
1,036
Reaction score
1,307
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
United States
You are worrying about nothing, remember battle royale Same school setting with real guns with real bullets
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,105
Reaction score
5,852
Age
33
Country
United States
I think you are missing the point. I don't think anybody is saying that child soldiers or violence is the problem. School violence specifically was the issue. Imagine a comic about students trying to kill their teacher coming out in March 2013, only a few months after the Sandy Hook massacre in December 2012. If the wrong person discovered Assassination Classroom it could have caused more controversy than VIZ is equipped to handle. A manga about school violence might have been a news worthy story at this time last year. Now, not as much. Sandy Hook isn't in the news anymore, violence is not a hot topic right now. In March 2014 Assassination Classroom is not particularly news worthy. Fear of potential backlash could have worried VIZ enough that they did not license Assassination Classroom for ESG as quickly as less popular series like Bulge.
I think it would still be a big deal.
Maybe not as much they brought it over right after Sandy Hook, but still can and probably will cause trouble for Viz.
 

Divinenega

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2010
Messages
469
Reaction score
96
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I don't understand how you can think that's conceivable at all.
Do you not remember Sandy Hook? The second word gets out that there is a children's comic book out in America about middle schoolers with guns trying to kill their teacher in the classroom there will be a never-ending shitstorm.
The video game analogy doesn't work at all here. Not to mention I can't comprehend why you would think it has the potential to become the next Naruto here, for one, if the series ever gets an anime, there is literally no chance it will air on American TV. No channel will risk it. Not to mention, Karma as a character is cool but still a pretty generic shonen archetype.

I mean this isn't the first time manga caused a media shitstorm in America. Death Note did for example.
This however (let me say it again) is a manga about children trying to kill their teacher in the classroom WITH GUNS. In a post Sandy-Hook America.

This is not going to go over well for Viz, not at all.

---------- Post added at 06:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:46 PM ----------



Name me a video game or movie aimed at children that is a comedy about children with guns trying to kill their teacher in the classroom.

---------- Post added at 06:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:48 PM ----------



Child soldiers are A LOT different than a series that for the most part takes place in the real world and is about school-children using guns to try and kill their teacher in the classroom.

---------- Post added at 06:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:49 PM ----------



I'm sorry man, but I seriously don't think you understand how crazy America is with this type of stuff.
You really can't compare any other manga to this because there isn't one with this same concept being published in America.
You're blowing it out of proportion dude. For one thing the guns aren't loaded with actual bullets so the implications aren't as bad as you're making them out to be not to mention their being used to attack a weird...alien thing.

Besides it's very unlikely this series is going to end up on any media watchdog radars. True there was some small controversy when Death Note came over but it was nothing major, and this was during the days where we were still in the anime and manga boom.

Nowadays? Almost no one outside of the industry really pays that much attention to manga. Even if it does end up on the radar I doubt it'll end up causing a shitstorm for the reasons I mentioned above.
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,105
Reaction score
5,852
Age
33
Country
United States
I think you're fixated on the specifics of the series, rather than being happy for the fact that it's licensed. :XD

I don't know, if people actually take notice of this, I don't see Viz doing anything about it. Why should they? Video game publishers don't.
Again, you are missing the point.
This is a series about school-kids trying to kill their teacher with guns inside the classroom.
 

Ecchi Boy

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 31, 2011
Messages
1,036
Reaction score
1,307
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
United States
lets not forget Gantz these manga are in the US
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,071
Reaction score
6,930
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I don't understand how you can think that's conceivable at all.
Do you not remember Sandy Hook? The second word gets out that there is a children's comic book out in America about middle schoolers with guns trying to kill their teacher in the classroom there will be a never-ending shitstorm.
The video game analogy doesn't work at all here. Not to mention I can't comprehend why you would think it has the potential to become the next Naruto here, for one, if the series ever gets an anime, there is literally no chance it will air on American TV. No channel will risk it. Not to mention, Karma as a character is cool but still a pretty generic shonen archetype.

I mean this isn't the first time manga caused a media shitstorm in America. Death Note did for example.
This however (let me say it again) is a manga about children trying to kill their teacher in the classroom WITH GUNS. In a post Sandy-Hook America.

This is not going to go over well for Viz, not at all.

I don't think the issue would be as big as you are making it out to be and sadly a December 2014 release of Assassination Classroom puts it >1yr past that tragedy. I think the media would be focused on other issues in a year that is gearing up for the long road ahead to presidential elections 2016, that focus on a manga in 2015 would be an odd thing to do on their part. Additionally wouldnt it need to air on tv for it to get as much media attention that you are claiming that it would receive?

-
Assassination Classroom has all the makings of being the next big series in America and on Naruto's level, certainly would far surpass One Piece and such as most of the series concepts, story, action, and jokes would go well. The themes also are easy for people to relate too as the classroom relations, views by the school and others, close tight-knit family and friendships of a wide varied cast in this class e is something that I cant see being embraced by all. Additionally...arent the megahits in jpn typically "hit" titles in America (Naruto, one piece, bleach, bakuman, death note, yugioh, attack on titan, and so on).
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,105
Reaction score
5,852
Age
33
Country
United States
You are worrying about nothing, remember battle royale Same school setting with real guns with real bullets
Battle Royale was not aimed at kids in America, nor did the art-style have cute chibi-esque characters.
It also didn't take place inside a classroom.
The movie adaptation was also rated R.
Entirely different.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Again, you are missing the point.
This is a series about school-kids trying to kill their teacher with guns inside the classroom.
How many times do you have to repeat yourself? We get it.

The question is whether you're going to protest Viz over it? Because you're acting like it's personally offensive to you as a consumer...and I doubt it is. So just wait and see. I'll bet you're wrong.
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,105
Reaction score
5,852
Age
33
Country
United States
You're blowing it out of proportion dude. For one thing the guns aren't loaded with actual bullets so the implications aren't as bad as you're making them out to be not to mention their being used to attack a weird...alien thing.

Besides it's very unlikely this series is going to end up on any media watchdog radars. True there was some small controversy when Death Note came over but it was nothing major, and this was during the days where we were still in the anime and manga boom.

Nowadays? Almost no one outside of the industry really pays that much attention to manga. Even if it does end up on the radar I doubt it'll end up causing a shitstorm for the reasons I mentioned above.
I very clearly in my first post mentioned that it doesn't matter if the guns don't have "real bullets" in them. American News Media doesn't care about that.
It's seeming like you guys don't even pay attention to the American media and how they interpret things like this.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Battle Royale was not aimed at kids in America, nor did the art-style have cute chibi-esque characters.
It also didn't take place inside a classroom.
The movie adaptation was also rated R.
Entirely different.
What does that have to with anything? You think media-watchdog groups care about the intended audience at all? They think comics = kids. These groups operate with a clear agenda, and it isn't necessarily a well-meaning one either. They'll bend and twist whatever they want to fit their objective. Viz has nothing to worry about, in my eyes.
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,105
Reaction score
5,852
Age
33
Country
United States
I don't think the issue would be as big as you are making it out to be and sadly a December 2014 release of Assassination Classroom puts it >1yr past that tragedy. I think the media would be focused on other issues in a year that is gearing up for the long road ahead to presidential elections 2016, that focus on a manga in 2015 would be an odd thing to do on their part. Additionally wouldnt it need to air on tv for it to get as much media attention that you are claiming that it would receive?

-
Assassination Classroom has all the makings of being the next big series in America and on Naruto's level, certainly would far surpass One Piece and such as most of the series concepts, story, action, and jokes would go well. The themes also are easy for people to relate too as the classroom relations, views by the school and others, close tight-knit family and friendships of a wide varied cast in this class e is something that I cant see being embraced by all. Additionally...arent the megahits in jpn typically "hit" titles in America (Naruto, one piece, bleach, bakuman, death note, yugioh, attack on titan, and so on).
Again, would a comedy set on an airplane that has been hijacked by terrorists and being on-route to fly into an airplane be controversy free in America? No, it sure as hell would not.

I also don't know how you think AssClass could be as popular as Naruto.
The series that have gotten big in America have been almost exclusively action series. AssClass is such an odd mix of genres that I'd be shocked if it doesn't bomb in America even if there isn't any controversy.
This is a series that does very well in Japan, but does not cater at all to the tastes of the general American manga reader.

---------- Post added at 07:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:01 PM ----------

How many times do you have to repeat yourself? We get it.

The question is whether you're going to protest Viz over it? Because you're acting like it's personally offensive to you as a consumer...and I doubt it is. So just wait and see. I'll bet you're wrong.
I just don't think you understand America or our news media at all.
I know I'm right, so there's no point in betting on this.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top