Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2014] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
In Viz' latest e-mail about volume releases, they had the volume 1 cover for Food Wars! It looked pretty much the same as the original except the logo is replaced & the 1 looks different. I don't think the volume covers have any particularly objectionable content so there wouldn't really be any need to change them. Viz are usually pretty good in terms of sticking to the original covers.
Yes, they are very good to be faithful with the original cover, but I pay attention on details, too much I can say. Could you post here the cover, please? :)
 
Last edited:

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I'd like a less cursive font on the title, but I can consider a minor fault. Good cover overall.
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,105
Reaction score
5,852
Age
33
Country
United States
I still don't see why they had to add that stupid "Food Wars" title.
At the very least they could have used Food Wars as a subtitle, rather than making the original name a subtitle.
 

[Cross]

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2008
Messages
717
Reaction score
320
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
United States
The cursive font seems a bit on the nose for a cooking series, but it doesn't really bug me much.

I still don't see why they had to add that stupid "Food Wars" title.
At the very least they could have used Food Wars as a subtitle, rather than making the original name a subtitle.
Because people are more likely to see the title than the subtitle, and Food Wars is more english-reader friendly than Shokugeki no Souma. This isn't that uncommon in localization seeing as they want it to appeal more when selling to an english speaking audience. Granted, Food Wars sounds a bit goofy to me, but heck.
 
Last edited:

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,105
Reaction score
5,852
Age
33
Country
United States
[Cross];3724501 said:
The cursive font seems a bit on the nose for a cooking series, but it doesn't really bug me much.



Because people are more likely to see the title than the subtitle, and Food Wars is more english-reader friendly than Shokugeki no Souma.
I guess... Food Wars is still a really dumb name.
I'm just a bit of a purist when it comes to this kind of stuff.
 
Last edited:

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I'm really used to this changes of names. The publishers here explain it so much and I agree with them, although I prefer japanese title most of the time.

At first glance I read that as "Ford wars" :derp
Yeah, the font is identical. I realised now. :derp
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,071
Reaction score
6,930
Gender
Male
Country
United States
That seems like a pretty tragic spot for Soul Catcher(s), was hoping itd stay strong to get colour page for its 48th, 49th, or 50th chp.
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,105
Reaction score
5,852
Age
33
Country
United States
Yeah... Soul Catcher(S) will probably be the next to go once Iron Knight is cancelled.
Also, can anybody confirm if this chapter actually is the final chapter of Iron Knight as was said previously?
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
It was kind of expected, seeing Soul Catcher(s) on the bottom after its cushions get cancelled. It's early to say if it will get cancelled, but the new three series seem really promising, so it is a possiblity.
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,105
Reaction score
5,852
Age
33
Country
United States
It was kind of expected, seeing Soul Catcher(s) on the bottom after its cushions get cancelled. It's early to say if it will get cancelled, but the new three series seem really promising, so it is a possiblity.
The four new series are very promising.
I actually think there's a chance of several of them being successful. Even Tokyo Wonder Boys possibly (which I previously thought was just foddershit).
I'm really anxious to find out how the four of them rank.

Now I know it's highly unlikely and probably won't happen, but IF (and that's of course a big if) all four new series end up being successes, which series do you think would be on the chopping block next?
Soul Catcher(S) is the obvious answer, World Trigger is a most likely seeing how it's only been a mild success, but what could the other two be? I think Jump would finally force Bleach to be put down, but the rest of the series I can't see Jump wanting to get rid of. I guess Naruto is ending soon though and Kuroko might be as well so I guess in this hypothetical situation Jump would just wait for them to naturally end.
 
Last edited:

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
The four new series are very promising.
I actually think there's a chance of several of them being successful. Even Tokyo Wonder Boys possibly (which I previously thought was just foddershit).
I'm really anxious to find out how the four of them rank.

Now I know it's highly unlikely and probably won't happen, but IF (and that's of course a big if) all four new series end up being successes, which series do you think would be on the chopping block next?
Soul Catcher(S) is the obvious answer, World Trigger is a most likely seeing how it's only been a mild success, but what could the other two be? I think Jump would finally force Bleach to be put down, but the rest of the series I can't see Jump wanting to get rid of. I guess Naruto is ending soon though and Kuroko might be as well so I guess if this hypothetical situation Jump would just wait for them to naturally end.
That was four, my bad. It was not intentional. I have to read iShoujo and TWB yet, but by the ratings here, all of them seem promising. However, in Jump, it is almost impossible all of them make success. I don't know who would fall, though.

If all of them made success I would guess only Iron Knight (if it didn't end this issue) and Soul Catcher(s). World Trigger would the third, but less possible. Everything besides them is unlikely.
It is not something to worry about, since it is a pretty unlikely scenario.
 
Last edited:

Eru13

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 19, 2011
Messages
829
Reaction score
1,149
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Mexico
Here's the ToC in text version in case anyone wants it:
Jump Issue #15
World Trigger (Lead CP/Cover)
One Piece
Kuroko no Basket
Tokyo Wonder Boys (Center Color, 25p)
Naruto
Toriko
Ansatsu Kyoushitsu (Center Color)
Stealth Symphony (23p)
Shokugeki no Soma
Isobe
iShoujo
Saiki Kusuo no PSInan
Illegal Rare
Nisekoi (Center Color)
Haikyuu!!
Gintama
Bleach
Soul Catcher(S)
Kochikame
Iron Knight

Issue #16
Lead Color/Cover One Piece
Center Color Gintama
Extra pages (total of 23) Tokyo Wonder Boys, Shokugeki no Soma
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,105
Reaction score
5,852
Age
33
Country
United States
That was four, my bad. It was not intentional. I have to read iShoujo and TWB yet, but by the ratings here, all of them seem promising. However, in Jump, it is almost impossible all of them make success. I don't know who would fall, though.

If all of them made success I would guess only Iron Knight (if it didn't end this issue) and Soul Catcher(s). World Trigger would the third, but less possible. Everything besides them is unlikely.
It is not something to worry about, since it is a pretty unlikely scenario.
I still think this stuff is fun to discuss.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Iron Knight didn't end since it appears on the next issue preview. Just pointing out to clarify everything.
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,105
Reaction score
5,852
Age
33
Country
United States
For the hell of it, here's the ToC of series with the unranked ones taken out.

1. One Piece
2. Kuroko no Basket
3. Naruto
4. Shokugeki no Soma
5. Isobe Isobe Monogatari
6. Saiki Kusuo no PSInan
7. Haikyuu!!
8. Gintama
9. Bleach
10. Soul Catcher(S)
11. Iron Knight
 
Last edited:

korshunxD

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Apr 27, 2013
Messages
167
Reaction score
223
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Russian Federation
For the hell of it, here's the ToC of series with the unranked ones taken out.

1. One Piece
2. Kuroko no Basket
3. Naruto
4. Toriko
5. Shokugeki no Soma
6. Isobe Isobe Monogatari
7. Saiki Kusuo no PSInan
8. Haikyuu!!
9. Gintama
10. Bleach
11. Soul Catcher(S)
12. Iron Knight
Toriko not ranked!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top