Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2014] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Viz don't do physical sales themselves, but if you look at their print manga page and find the title you want, they link to a variety of other sites that will sell and deliver the bookos to you. http://www.viz.com/manga/print/dr-slump-volume-1/5138 you can see the links on the right.
 

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
Plus you can always just try Amazon. They have literally all of VIZ's titles and then some.
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,854
Age
33
Country
United States
Plus you can always just try Amazon. They have literally all of VIZ's titles and then some.
I ended up just buying a batch of stuff from RightStuff.
Anyways, I'm kind of disgusted with myself for supporting Viz.
But I bought the first seven volumes of One Piece
First 7 volumes of Hunter x Hunter
First 7 volumes of Yu Yu Hakusho.
And the first four volumes of Magi.
 
Last edited:

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Anyways, I'm kind of disgusted with myself for supporting Viz.
.
.... Why? Like... Supporting comics... Supporting LEGAL and actual comics, giving the creators their due... It's good! It's the ideal way alll of us should approach Jump, whether through Viz (or Dark Horse for a couple of SQ titles) or Shueisha themselves.

Also: Good choices!
 

Torca

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 15, 2010
Messages
1,159
Reaction score
1,120
Gender
Male
Country
Poland
.... Why? Like... Supporting comics... Supporting LEGAL and actual comics, giving the creators their due... It's good! It's the ideal way alll of us should approach Jump, whether through Viz (or Dark Horse for a couple of SQ titles) or Shueisha themselves.

Also: Good choices!
I don't think he meant that's bad to support author, it's just bad to support Viz because they're half-assed. Viz is in manga industry something like EA in game industry. They don't really bother with customers opinion that much unless it's not from Jump so SJ have it pretty good but they're so many other Shuiesha/Shogakukan mangas that are left and the bad thing is that there is a big bunch of mangas that would be pretty popular but they don't care about it. I shouldn't be the one who is bothered by it (cause I'm from other country) but they should publish more mangas not only from Jump.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Anyways, I'm kind of disgusted with myself for supporting Viz.
Do you have any problem with VIZ itself or you don't want to support the industry?
I agree with Maxy, if I could, I would buy more.

---------- Post added at 09:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:32 AM ----------

I don't think he meant that's bad to support author, it's just bad to support Viz because they're half-assed. Viz is in manga industry something like EA in game industry. They don't really bother with customers opinion that much unless it's not from Jump so SJ have it pretty good but they're so many other Shuiesha/Shogakukan mangas that are left and the bad thing is that there is a big bunch of mangas that would be pretty popular but they don't care about it. I shouldn't be the one who is bothered by it (cause I'm from other country) but they should publish more mangas not only from Jump.
You have to demand this not only of VIZ, but the other publishers as well. You have to separate what will be "popular" with you and what will be popular with the rest of the people. They are a publisher, which has profit as objective, they will bring what they think that will bring profit.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,075
Reaction score
6,933
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I don't think he meant that's bad to support author, it's just bad to support Viz because they're half-assed. Viz is in manga industry something like EA in game industry. They don't really bother with customers opinion that much unless it's not from Jump so SJ have it pretty good but they're so many other Shuiesha/Shogakukan mangas that are left and the bad thing is that there is a big bunch of mangas that would be pretty popular but they don't care about it. I shouldn't be the one who is bothered by it (cause I'm from other country) but they should publish more mangas not only from Jump.
What are you talking about they do publish more from not jump like picking up deadman wonderland, evangelion, gangsta and just this week that master keaton manga with 18 colour pages per vol. They do more than jump stufg on a regular basis.
 

Torca

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 15, 2010
Messages
1,159
Reaction score
1,120
Gender
Male
Country
Poland
You have to demand this not only of VIZ, but the other publishers as well. You have to separate what will be "popular" with you and what will be popular with the rest of the people. They are a publisher, which has profit as objective, they will bring what they think that will bring profit.
I know this so I'm not talking about series that are not known by manga community. Viz have a monopole for Shuiesha and Shogakukan series, so for example I would go with The World God Only Knows which is really popular abroad in USA too but with each volume more it's chances to getting an English release. Kenichi, Gin no Saji, Mix, I am Hero, Ao Haru Ride, Gokukoku no Brynhildr, Tokyo Ghoul (this three have a chance of release with anime coming, We'll see), Kingdom (if I'm correct it's not released) and a couple of manga that ended would be pretty popular for sure (not sure how). They just neglect a big bunch of good manga, it's not like they don't do anything Master Keaton will be released Ore Monogatari and Terra Formars too. I'm sure all of this manga would be published by this time but they can't take them because Viz have a copyrights to them.

What are you talking about they do publish more from not jump like picking up deadman wonderland, evangelion, and just this week that master keaton manga with 18 colour pages per vol.
That is not a really impressive numbers compared to only Shonen Jump. Like I said it's not like they don't do anything but they neglect non Shounen Jump titles.
 

vampire killer

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 3, 2011
Messages
802
Reaction score
465
Gender
Male
Country
Bulgaria
Still no cover?
 

Kaizou 10

Banned
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 12, 2013
Messages
2,572
Reaction score
2,467
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
This Week's Jump Comic Sales:

48. Gintama #53 (20,299 / 321,970)
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Viz are not EA, bro. EA has a history of shady business practices and actively fuck over their audience with their financial practices. Viz, at worst, don't license the shit you want. That's FINE. They're a company. A bigish company in an industry with few competitors, but that industry is small over here, whether we're talking comics or specifically manga. It behooves them to not license every popular title demanded of them. One could even argue that doing just that lead to many of their failures some years back. After all, there's a reason they stopped publishing Kurohime, Gin Tama, Reborn!, Strawberry 100% and such. There was too much product and people weren't buying in. Who's to say the same won't happen if they were to license any amount of the 9 titles suggested? They publish a bunch of stuff, and are always expanding. They just can't do it all.

And why mostly Jump? Market analysis would probably support me on this, but Jump sells for them. A lot of their other titles simply don't perform as well

This isn't even me being an apologist here. Viz has plenty of problems, mostly to do with brand identity and marketing, but you're beating them with the wrong stick to be sure.
 

Torca

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 15, 2010
Messages
1,159
Reaction score
1,120
Gender
Male
Country
Poland
Viz are not EA, bro. EA has a history of shady business practices and actively fuck over their audience with their financial practices. Viz, at worst, don't license the shit you want. That's FINE. They're a company. A bigish company in an industry with few competitors, but that industry is small over here, whether we're talking comics or specifically manga. It behooves them to not license every popular title demanded of them. One could even argue that doing just that lead to many of their failures some years back. After all, there's a reason they stopped publishing Kurohime, Gin Tama, Reborn!, Strawberry 100% and such. There was too much product and people weren't buying in. Who's to say the same won't happen if they were to license any amount of the 9 titles suggested? They publish a bunch of stuff, and are always expanding. They just can't do it all.

And why mostly Jump? Market analysis would probably support me on this, but Jump sells for them. A lot of their other titles simply don't perform as well

This isn't even me being an apologist here. Viz has plenty of problems, mostly to do with brand identity and marketing, but you're beating them with the wrong stick to be sure.
With Jump being they're flagship it's reasonable for them to do mostly Jump series I didn't said that it's bad. It's business but I need to defend my Viz and EA comparison. The comparison is for the amount of how each of community treat EA and Viz, they just don't like both. Game industry is much bigger and income is also a lot bigger but every company that stands on the top will always treat their customers worse after they get there. They have their big products that there's no way would not sell less because of something (until a really BIG problem) so with being on top they don't care that much for public relations like small companies. And so Viz is doing it, I also never said that they aren't managed bad because it's opposite, they're politics in clean income meaning are good, but why a normal customer like me or you need to think about it? Every one of us have a better or worse experience with each company and I'm sure that we all have a better experience with small companies because they treat you "specially". Sometimes company need to do thing that will make them loss a bit money but they'll get a trust from customers.

Also this monopole is probably the biggest problem here, they have two really big companies on their shoulders and still they take mangas from other companies but it's only up to them how people treat them.

I dragged it and I fell bad about it because I shouldn't be the one who is bothered by it. I just don't see a bigger point to defend Viz that much.
 

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
The VIZ Sig line is literally gorgeous. Every single series. Sure they don't deliver that kind of quality to their entire line but nobody buys manga in the States so where would they get the money? Plus without them like most manga we have now would have never been brought here.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,075
Reaction score
6,933
Gender
Male
Country
United States
New preview page for upcoming Jump Next:
Ill fully forgive them for not making DRUMP! into a full services if that becomes a full fledged series in WSJ later in 2014 or even 2015. It oozes the potential of being one of the best manga in the magazine in years.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I know this so I'm not talking about series that are not known by manga community. Viz have a monopole for Shuiesha and Shogakukan series, so for example I would go with The World God Only Knows which is really popular abroad in USA too but with each volume more it's chances to getting an English release. Kenichi, Gin no Saji, Mix, I am Hero, Ao Haru Ride, Gokukoku no Brynhildr, Tokyo Ghoul (this three have a chance of release with anime coming, We'll see), Kingdom (if I'm correct it's not released) and a couple of manga that ended would be pretty popular for sure (not sure how). They just neglect a big bunch of good manga, it's not like they don't do anything Master Keaton will be released Ore Monogatari and Terra Formars too. I'm sure all of this manga would be published by this time but they can't take them because Viz have a copyrights to them.
We know those series because MH gathers a somewhat hardcore fans of manga, but, I think, it is not the majority of VIZ's public. If I ask some friends of mine if they want those series here (Brazil and US), they will say "What is it?". Risk sometimes is healthy for a company, but they release everything we think is good is a little harsh. Manga market is growing (thanks god), but it is that big to risk that much. I don't like to put all the responsability upon VIZ. We know that VIZ has preference regarding Shueisha and Shogakugan titles, but there is chance for other publishers as well. The publishers, as a whole, is doing as good as possible job.
Kenichi is long and VERY racy (using the word that they described Shokugeki no Soma, which is much less "racy" than Kenichi), Gin no Saji has a chance, but too early yet to pick. Mix and I am Hero is that popular here? I think all them fall in the problem of popularity, real popularity.

Regarding quality of material, I begin to buy VIZ products now, no complains until now.
 

Asgaroth

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2011
Messages
910
Reaction score
133
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
thought the us manga market was mostly aimed at teenage boys who also would by comics so they would rather release world trigger than gin no saji?
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,075
Reaction score
6,933
Gender
Male
Country
United States
thought the us manga market was mostly aimed at teenage boys who also would by comics so they would rather release world trigger than gin no saji?
Anime for that isnt exactly lighting the hearts of american anime fans on fire and Id think viz would be going more for a series that could be the next FMA instead of a farming slice of life sim. Other better options in shonen sunday and even jump comics itself.
 

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
Anime for that isnt exactly lighting the hearts of american anime fans on fire and Id think viz would be going more for a series that could be the next FMA instead of a farming slice of life sim. Other better options in shonen sunday and even jump comics itself.
Wait what? World Trigger the next FMA?

Right...
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,854
Age
33
Country
United States
I don't think he meant that's bad to support author, it's just bad to support Viz because they're half-assed. Viz is in manga industry something like EA in game industry. They don't really bother with customers opinion that much unless it's not from Jump so SJ have it pretty good but they're so many other Shuiesha/Shogakukan mangas that are left and the bad thing is that there is a big bunch of mangas that would be pretty popular but they don't care about it. I shouldn't be the one who is bothered by it (cause I'm from other country) but they should publish more mangas not only from Jump.
This.
Plus, Zolo.
I'm not ever going to get over that.

---------- Post added at 09:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:09 AM ----------

Anime for that isnt exactly lighting the hearts of american anime fans on fire and Id think viz would be going more for a series that could be the next FMA instead of a farming slice of life sim. Other better options in shonen sunday and even jump comics itself.
World Trigger has some VERY light similarities to World Trigger. But there is no way in hell it will become the next FMA popularity wise.
The art-style alone will keep it from getting a big fanbase in the US (which is one reason I hate American "anime" fans), it's also just nowhere as good as FMA in general.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top