I think you are confused about something. Ken is not actually stronger than ren, ken is simply an application of ren where said ren is maintained over a long period of time. Gon and killua did not really defy that either. They had bisk guiding them through the whole thing back then and her ability allowed them to do sleep the equivalent of 8 hours in 30 minutes. In conjunction with their talent they made that month be worth way more than it would have been worth otherwise, they had a few months worth of training all in all. Of course, their talent did help. Still, the end issue is that this is not a "ren or ken" situation but rather its "ken or ken". A short burst of aura (ren) is impractical and ten would not produce even enough aura to defend even from someone using ken, let along more advanced techniques. Which is why producing a high level nen user seems to take somewhere in the vecinity of a decade worth of training..... I guess it is possible to simply use ren to defend but I would argue there are risks to it. You'd have to time it perfectly to defend from attacks but if you miss you'd take a lot of damage. Ultimately ken (and ryu) are the foundation of nen combat, at least in the way gon and killua learned it, there is no way around it.I see what you mean and I agree in that sense it would make Hatsu stronger, but there are two things I to mention with that. Firstly; Ken is an incredibly difficult technique, it takes an enormous time to increase Ken sustainability time. If we can take Biscuits´estimations and Gon´s estimations as true then; 1 month of training of Ren = +10 minutes of Ren = +1 minute of Ken, but since Gon and Killua are protagonists AND incredibly talented, they somehow defy those computations, despite that let´s take the computations as true. Secondly; in Knuckle´s aura numbers explanation Ken is considered a very advanced technique, in his thoughts Ken consumes aura much faster than Ten or Ren. From those two points it leads to my opinion that Ken sacrifices efficiency for conveniency AND is incredibly hard to attain, let alone durable. You make your Hatsu stronger but it costs you more aura than usual (in the efficiency POV, not just the amount POV) and the effect making the Hatsu stronger comes from Ren (at least I think). This makes Ken viable technique ONLY for combat, in noncombat situations I would say people would just concentrate on Ren; three hours of Ren > 30 minutes of Ken. So to reiterate Ken does make Hatsu stronger but when taking into account the aura involved, it actually makes Hatsu worse (in the sense that Hatsu doesn´t get the boost it would get in normal situations).
I get and agree with the Transmuters part, but the Emitter part? I don´t think Ken is involved. Razors´ ability could use explanation here. I don´t know how accurate Hunterpedia (the wikia) is, but there is something missing. Razor must be also using Transmuting. If he were using Conjuring then his dolls wouldn´t be Emission dolls and just by using Emission he wouldn´t get their looks, voices, shapes so he must be using Transmuting. Razor then uses Ren, transmutes that into dolls, cuts them off and Manipulates them from distance.........but since they are an aura......then he must retain them manually....with Ten..... which makes it Ken........ so uh.. yeah you´re right here too.
As a sidenote, that Razor example got me thinking, what if Killua uses the electricity to recharge aura and not the electricity. If Razor can Transmute his dolls back into aura, then Killua should be able to Transmute his electricity back into aura. That would mean if killua finds an electricity source similar to his electricity, he should be able to transmute that electricity into his aura for him to use.
Isn't that the implication so far? I don't think killua has an option to recharge electricity but not nen.... Transmuters don't actually produce elements or whatever they transmute their nen into, they simply have nen look like those things. In that regard killua's nen is not actually electricity, it simply has the look and feel of it but it is still nen.
.

Nen = Aura, I don't know about Nem.
