Society Religious Discussion and Q&A Thread

Introspectve

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Sep 12, 2014
Messages
33
Reaction score
3
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I won't be continuing this argument. Given some unrelated disparities this will be my last post here. I didn't debate with you all for fun or to "troll" you. And seriously, there are people who believe in Jediism. It's hyperbolic to deny the cognitive processes leading one to doubt that life formed by an undirected process. I only spoke to you all as a learning experience for myself: to see if design vs decent was truly psychological.

My mind may have been changed, but few of you did little more than insult me, label me, and tell me my ideas were wrong. I'm not whining that you did that right now, but i'm telling you those do not form a rhetorical strategy. You'd only get the creationist too judgmental of your character to take what you say seriously. Kkck actually changed my mind on a few things because he actually brought logic and reason to the table.

I think the real misconception is that my argument was designed to combat evolution. It was actually designed to combat atheism in the theory evolution. I understand evolution is simply an observation and does not alone testify strongly against major world religions. Atheism however, supports that life formed by an undirected process. The basis of my argument was to combat this. I did present why I don't take the theory of evolution to heart, but I was most strongly referring to atheism in my arguments.

Also it's impolite to talk about someone in the third person as if he's not there. Also I'm insulted you'd try to blame the semantic arguments on me. My first post had nothing to do with webster or the oxford dictionary. Understand you all tried to redefine to me what is science, the scientific method, and a complex machine, as if I didn't know. It's pathetic that you'd attack me for interpreting a language correctly, and not even succeed at it. I know what i'm saying when I speak the language. I apologize if other English speaking countries have different definitions for those terms. Please excuse me for the term evolutionist, it was not meant as an insult.

The majority of you poked as many holes in my arguments as Kkck believes creationists poked in evolution. What I witnessed here were numerous logical fallacies, mis-definitions, mis-interpretations, a lack of understanding of rhetoric, cultural discrimination, personal attacks, stereotypes, weak evidence, and hardly a single reason new to believe life formed by an undirected process. I know all about the respected theories and origin models, reiterating them really didn't do much for me.

True to my religion I did refrain from returning the insults and personal attacks, partly because it doesn't form a reasonable rhetorical strategy, so I'm not sure where this hypocrisy question is coming from. I mourn for the minds you'd convince talking to people that way.

Generally I hoped the fact that I didn't quote a single scripture to prove the validity of my religion (except to prove that christians believe Jesus believes the old testament is true) would set me above your stereotypical representation of a creationist, but I was wrong.

I noticed through most of it the lot of you didn't do much more than say the opposite of what I stated. "i could have told myself the opposite of what I said" I've been trying to show you all the whole time what it'd take to convince me. You all ignored it. All I asked for was respect, logic and rhetoric. Even while setting an example so rarely was I given it. Changing someone's way of thinking is more than presenting evidence. You have to manipulate the person's reasoning from the inside out.

If for any reason any of you felt personally attacked, disrespected or unduly ignored, I give my sincerest apologies, for that was never my intention. I'm not a scientist, I'm an illustrator, and I understand my ideas amount to little more than philosophy, but I came here to review that philosophy, and sadly it didn't change; however I did learn a lot from our conversation and I'm grateful for that. I used to debate that same way when I was younger, and my arguments suffered for it, so I'm not judging you. But please learn from my mistakes.
 
Last edited:

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Discuss. Different change of topic, because the whole intelligent design defense is, to put it kindly, horrible, and I want a change of pace.
Discuss:

 

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
48,828
Reaction score
17,292
Gender
Male
Country
Akatsuki
... right.


The majority of you poked as many holes in my arguments as Kkck believes creationists poked in evolution. What I witnessed here were numerous logical fallacies, mis-definitions, mis-interpretations, a lack of understanding of rhetoric, cultural discrimination, personal attacks, stereotypes, weak evidence, and hardly a single reason new to believe life formed by an undirected process. I know all about the respected theories and origin models, reiterating them really didn't do much for me.
Again, if you know all about the respected theories and origin models, why do you keep reiterating physics being the same? You keep claiming physics when chemistry and biology have far more to do with creation of life and evolution. You also brought up Haldane's dilemma without understanding the fallacies behind it, and when you accused me of logical fallacies, you did not point out where I suffered from logical fallacy despite me asking you, twice.
 

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,291
Reaction score
24,923
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
The majority of you poked as many holes in my arguments as Kkck believes creationists poked in evolution. What I witnessed here were numerous logical fallacies, mis-definitions, mis-interpretations, a lack of understanding of rhetoric, cultural discrimination, personal attacks, stereotypes, weak evidence, and hardly a single reason new to believe life formed by an undirected process. I know all about the respected theories and origin models, reiterating them really didn't do much for me.
You are still missing the point. We don't actually have to poke holes in your arguments. The issue of creationism as science does not have any form of validity to begin with. Its not even a valid opinion, being a valid opinion would imply there is some degree of real knowledge behind that. In that regard there is no need to poke holes or break down your arguments, the most we can do is simply point out why your rhetoric or whatnot does not meet the most basic requirements to be considered science. What you suggest is at its most basic foundation irrelevant to scientific thought which is based on evidence, observation, testable predictions and experiments. Within a scientific context any claim must be substantiated with evidence which must be evaluated and verified by as many competent people to the subject as possible. You are right that science has not yet provided an explanation for the origin of life however that does not even somewhat hint at a supernatural explanation being the beginning. Science does not work that way. You can't make the claim that a current lack of a full, properly scientific explanation hints at something supernatural going on, that in itself is a logical fallacy. Within a scientific context the claim that there is visible divine intervention at the beginning of life would have to be supported with the same rigorous standards as any other scientific theory. And currently the amount of evidence that hints at such a thing amounts precisely to zero. Another thing which is worth noting is that it is conceptually plausible to develop a testable model for the origin of life through natural processes. Life originating from supernatural processes does not enjoy that benefit. Heck, "supernatural" in itself refers to things outside the scope of science... There can't be a supernatural scientific explanation to the origin of life.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
 
Last edited by a moderator:

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
48,828
Reaction score
17,292
Gender
Male
Country
Akatsuki
I find it amusing that there are more holes in Creationists' attempts to create holes in evolution than there are holes in evolution. most of these attempts to poke holes also show that Creationists have little to no understanding of evolution and are just insulting science with horrible claims, such has Haldane's dilemma or fake fossils.

This is one of the many reasons why I find it difficult to respect the theory of Creationism or respect Creationists.
 

z.5

Only Half Psychic
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Global Moderator
Joined
Oct 26, 2008
Messages
3,994
Reaction score
18,563
Gender
Hidden
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
To get away from this creationist convo

An interesting question that someone, perhaps somewhat accidentally, brought up in the Naruto forums is
"Does a supreme all-powerful creator being have the right to dictate what happens to mankind?"

As in, if the Christian (for example) God did exist, would he have the right to control the fates of mankind?
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,179
Reaction score
30,225
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
To get away from this creationist convo

An interesting question that someone, perhaps somewhat accidentally, brought up in the Naruto forums is
"Does a supreme all-powerful creator being have the right to dictate what happens to mankind?"

As in, if the Christian (for example) God did exist, would he have the right to control the fates of mankind?
No.

There's no reason to give people free-will, if that was the case.
 

z.5

Only Half Psychic
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Global Moderator
Joined
Oct 26, 2008
Messages
3,994
Reaction score
18,563
Gender
Hidden
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
No.

There's no reason to give people free-will, if that was the case.
Although I agree that he wouldn't have a right to do so - as such a right would have to be non-subjective for it to mean anything more than a right which he had given himself.

I do not believe it relies on the presence or absence of free will to determine if the right is valid or not. This point being unrelated to my belief that there is no such thing as 'free will'. Scratch that.
As I do not believe that free-will could possibly exist, I do not see how humanities free-will would/should relate to if he had a right to do whatever he wants or not.
 
Last edited:

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,179
Reaction score
30,225
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Although I agree that he wouldn't have a right to do so - as such a right would have to be non-subjective for it to mean anything more than a right which he had given himself.

I do not believe it relies on the presence or absence of free will to determine if the right is valid or not. This point being unrelated to my belief that there is no such thing as 'free will'. Scratch that.
As I do not believe that free-will could possibly exist, I do not see how humanities free-will would/should relate to if he had a right to do whatever he wants or not.
For me, it'd be more about why would he give them free-will? Is it really free-will if it ultimately doesn't matter?
 

z.5

Only Half Psychic
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Global Moderator
Joined
Oct 26, 2008
Messages
3,994
Reaction score
18,563
Gender
Hidden
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
For me, it'd be more about why would he give them free-will? Is it really free-will if it ultimately doesn't matter?
Well, it certainly would be hard to classify it as free-will if he knows what they are going to do before they do it.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,179
Reaction score
30,225
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Well, it certainly would be hard to classify it as free-will if he knows what they are going to do before they do it.
Well, then it comes down to the classic "he built it, so he can destroy it". But then the question why, etc comes up.

This has always been a conundrum with religion that never really made sense to me. If he actually created this, why would he really care what people did if he could just destroy it and start over again?
 

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,291
Reaction score
24,923
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
Well, the Christian (or at least catholic) god is generally regarded to exist entirely outside of time (and some funky science suggests that time does not exist and it is merely a perception of ours). So you have an omniscient, all knowing being that exists in "eternity". It is not conceptually possible for that being to not know what we will do. Assuming there is free will, the notion that this being could not do as he pleases with as is weird. I mean, we are talking about a being who is defined as the superior objective something something. It is not conceptually possible to oppose this being, it is not conceptually possible for this being to not know something. What argument would we even have and if we had an argument what would we do with it? If we go by how "rights" are defined then we can't really have a case in any scenario.
right
rīt/
noun
plural noun: rights

1.
that which is morally correct, just, or honorable.
"she doesn't understand the difference between right and wrong"
synonyms: goodness, righteousness, virtue, integrity, rectitude, propriety, morality, truth, honesty, honor, justice, fairness, equity; More
lawfulness, legality
"the difference between right and wrong"
antonyms: wrong
2.
a moral or legal entitlement to have or obtain something or to act in a certain way.
In this particular case we are talking about the one who actually made the rules. If there are rights to begin with they would necessarily have to come from this omnipotent, omniscient, eternal being. Unless he is not all that and out rights are somehow above this being however in that scenario the being in question would not be what is generally considered to be god. If this being exists then our rights themselves would originate from him. Its not like something bad will happen to this being if our rights are violated. Assuming it is conceptually plausible for this being to violate our rights (which I don't think would be the case).
 

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
48,828
Reaction score
17,292
Gender
Male
Country
Akatsuki
To get away from this creationist convo

An interesting question that someone, perhaps somewhat accidentally, brought up in the Naruto forums is
"Does a supreme all-powerful creator being have the right to dictate what happens to mankind?"

As in, if the Christian (for example) God did exist, would he have the right to control the fates of mankind?
Yes he does, as he created them, it's his responsibility. He did dictate in a way what happens with the whole flooding the world thing, and apparently when he made a deal with the Devi? He does control the fate of mankind, at least after death, but should be when they're alive as well. Why should people live a terrible life?

And didn't he torture one of his followers to show how loyal the follower was to God? God is a sadistic, selfish, and arrogant ass, based on what I have heard and read about him.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,179
Reaction score
30,225
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Yes he does, as he created them, it's his responsibility. He did dictate in a way what happens with the whole flooding the world thing, and apparently when he made a deal with the Devi? He does control the fate of mankind, at least after death, but should be when they're alive as well. Why should people live a terrible life?

And didn't he torture one of his followers to show how loyal the follower was to God? God is a sadistic, selfish, and arrogant ass, based on what I have heard and read about him.
That was the God of the Old Testament. Incredibly spiteful and inconsistent...I wonder why that is...
 

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
48,828
Reaction score
17,292
Gender
Male
Country
Akatsuki
Maybe he needed Jesus to make him feel better, but Jesus wasn't born yet?
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,179
Reaction score
30,225
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Maybe he needed Jesus to make him feel better, but Jesus wasn't born yet?
I think the more reasonable explanation is that it wasn't the same God.
 

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
48,828
Reaction score
17,292
Gender
Male
Country
Akatsuki
I think the more reasonable explanation is that it wasn't the same God.
Are they allowed to change God?! Won't he get offended? :gwah
 

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,291
Reaction score
24,923
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
Some would, others probably won't care:amuse
 
Top