Art Hoshino's Instagram Account and Discussion Thread

kannazuki

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 15, 2013
Messages
2,142
Reaction score
1,307
Gender
Hidden
Country
Canada
There was the character book :p

I'm quite interested in her comment about peace. It's quite understandable why she suddenly said that, considering what's going on in Japan...
Since it doesn't look like anyone's translated it (?), here's my attempt on the comments...

Under the picture of a Wordsworth poetry compilation ( and some notebooks):

「平和」という言葉を調べると色んな意味がある。自分が想像していた平和とは全然 違う意味もあったりして、それ以来「平和」という言葉を使う時は複雑な気持ちになる。 「平和」とは何なのか。 傷つけて得たものに本当に価値はあるのか。手をあげる前に歩み寄りお互いを知ろうと努めることは本当にできないのか。
"If you look at the word 'peace,' it has many meanings. Ever since I encountered a completely different meaning of peace from the one I imagined, using the word 'peace' has evoked complicated feelings. What is the meaning of "peace?" Does it have value to those who were already injured? Before raising their hands against others*, do people truly not wish to endeavour for mutual compromise?"

*note: this is my best guess as to how 「手をあげる」 was meant in context. If someone has a clearer idea, please feel free to correct me (and same goes for the rest of it too of course)!
 
Last edited:

riki

Storyteller
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 12, 2008
Messages
13,935
Reaction score
15,894
Gender
Female
Country
United States
It looks like Wisely and Tykki are having a conversation though I have no idea who's in the bottom panel (a Skull?).
 

NonExisted

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 22, 2010
Messages
1,115
Reaction score
1,640
Gender
Hidden
Country
Vietnam
It looks like Wisely and Tykki are having a conversation though I have no idea who's in the bottom panel (a Skull?).
I tried as hard as I can and it looks like it's still Tykki (dark hair) and Wisely (white hair). Tykki was standing at the carriage's door, yelling at Wisely, who is inside the carriage.
 
Last edited:

anyoneforthe

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jun 27, 2013
Messages
157
Reaction score
112
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
IT'S DONE EVERY ONE!
That's good news... but that means it took her more than 4 months to get to this point... which worries me because it means she is still hasn't recovered yet and that we can't expect her to be able to finish a chapter a month anymore. BUT DAMN thats A LOT of detail for one panel... dang. It looks really pretty, though.
 

Asclepius

MH Senpai
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Joined
Feb 1, 2010
Messages
9,412
Reaction score
5,154
Gender
Female
Country
Brazil
We don't know if that is 219. It could be 223.
Maybe she just suddenly wanted to share the finished work of what she was checking at the moment.
I hope JumpSQ asked her to finish enough chapter to fill a volume before coming back.
 

Darjaille

Custom Title
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Apr 16, 2011
Messages
5,405
Reaction score
3,207
Gender
Hidden
Country
Slovakia
Yeah, she just says that she uses those... things to pin papers and material to the corner of her graphic tablet, and that you can't see it well but they clip ~10 lists of paper, I don't really think she just finished the chapter :lmao She really seems to be working hard every day, she probably covers 1month / 1chapter without problem.
 

kannazuki

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 15, 2013
Messages
2,142
Reaction score
1,307
Gender
Hidden
Country
Canada
Yes, that post's text is about the toy clips, but I thought people were reacting to the fact she's actually printed out pages that appear to be finished. She does indeed appear to be working hard every day and I'm also certain she must have finished multiple chapters by now. But it's true that doesn't mean we're necessarily getting chapters any time soon. :sweat

Again, nobody's translated the last few posts (except what Darjaille wrote above), so I tried to do "quick" (not really, lol) ones below:

作業中はハチミツ湯をガバガバ飲んでます。1日10杯以上。絵を描くとすごく糖分を摂取したくなりませんか。なりますよね。ならないかな。なりますよね。いや、なるなる。きっとなるはず。なるなる。
i want something like suger when i drawing picture.
While working I drink huge amounts of honey water. Over 10 cups a day. Can I resist these cravings to take in large amounts of sugar each day while drawing pictures? I can, right? Maybe I can't help it? But I can right? No I can, I can. I absolutely have to. I will, I will.

まっしろバルコニー。チューリップの芽が雪に埋まってて「だいじょぶかーっ!;;;」ってなった。
out window
All-white balcony. The tulip sprouts got buried in snow. "Are you alright--?"

ガシャポンでとった「ぶら下がりイーッ!!」ショッカーが液タブの隅っこにコピーとか資料用紙をとめとくのにすごい役立つなんて…。
これ見えませんが10枚くらい紙とめてくれてます。
#がんばれショッカー
I picked up these "dangly--!!" Shockers* from a toy dispensing machine. On things like the edge of my liquid tablet, or photocopies, they fix document materials together. How incredibly useful...
You can't see it here but there are about 10 sheets of paper these are holding together for me.
#hang in there Shocker

(*Shocker = villain organization from Kamen Rider)

その日の気分や紙質で筆記具を変えて使うのがすごく癒される。
今はデジタルで描いてますが、去年まではネームはフリクションで描いてました。最近 はスケッチに使います。鉛筆は落書きや構図のラフを考える用にちょっと贅沢してお高めのやつを。いつも持ち歩くのは安いのに何気に優秀な無印のゲルインキ ボールペン。他にも素晴らしいペンがいっぱいあって見てるだけでニヤニヤしますね。休憩時間はたいがいこうやって筆記具に癒されて終わってます。
my favorite writing instrument
Depending on things like the mood that day and paper quality, a change of writing materials can be comforting. Though I draw digitally now, until last year I drew storyboards with a Frixion. Lately I sketch that way too. For things like rough doodles and compositions, pencils are like a luxury and a boost. Even though they're the same ones I've always carried, these cheap unlabelled gel ink ballpoint pens are unexpectedly superior. I have many other excellent pens and just look at them grinning, huh? Break time is generally like this, with writing materials comforting me in the end.

Well I hope I did these some justice. It's like a series of lessons on gratitude and enjoying your everyday life. :^_^
 
Last edited:

MSofAofCOCA

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2010
Messages
1,116
Reaction score
664
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Yes, that post's text is about the toy clips, but I thought people were reacting to the fact she's actually printed out pages that appear to be finished. She does indeed appear to be working hard every day and I'm also certain she must have finished multiple chapters by now. But it's true that doesn't mean we're necessarily getting chapters any time soon. :sweat

Again, nobody's translated the last few posts (except what Darjaille wrote above), so I tried to do "quick" (not really, lol) ones below:

While working I drink huge amounts of honey water. Over 10 cups a day. Can I resist these cravings to take in large amounts of sugar each day while drawing pictures? I can, right? Maybe I can't help it? But I can right? No I can, I can. I absolutely have to. I will, I will.

All-white balcony. The tulip sprouts got buried in snow. "Are you alright--?"

I picked up these "dangly--!!" Shockers* from a toy dispensing machine. On the edge of my liquid tablet, on photocopies, they fix materials document materials together. How incredibly useful...
You can't see it here but there are about 10 sheets of paper these are holding together for me.
#hang in there Shocker

(*Shocker = villain organization from Kamen Rider)

Depending on things like the mood that day and paper quality, a change of writing materials can be comforting. Though I draw digitally now, until last year I drew storyboards with friction. Lately I sketch that way too. For things like rough doodles and compositions, pencils are like a luxury and a boost. Even though they're the same ones I've always carried, these cheap unlabelled gel ink ball pens are unexpectedly superior. I have many other excellent pens and just look at them grinning, huh? Break time is generally like this, with writing materials comforting me in the end.

Well I hope I did these some justice. It's like a series of lessons on gratitude and enjoying your everyday life. :^_^
I think we can all agree that Hoshino sounds absolutely adorable!
But you know, aside from getting teased about DGM, it's really nice to get glimpses into her life.
 

anyoneforthe

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jun 27, 2013
Messages
157
Reaction score
112
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
I'm not convinced that she's finished even one chapter. Seriously I don't think she even finished one chapter.

She's been very sick for long time and her posts seem to only prove that she is still not fully recovered yet. Drawing a manga is very hard and probably even harder for her seeing as she spends so much time perfecting her drawings. The Wisely and Tyki drawings have been appearing since 4 months ago.... so I guess its safe to assume that they are from the same chapter.

I know you guys are trying to be optimistic but it just doesn't make any sense to believe that she's been able to complete a couple chapters, let alone even one chapter. I know her instagram brought a lot of hope but does not mean that the hiatus is any closer to finishing. It could still be another 3 years for all we know.

btw THANKS SOOOOOO MUCH for the translations Kannazuki and Darjaille!!!

Hmmmm... Hoshino seems to write a lot about trying to curb her hungry.... its actually starting to worry me. She needs to eat well if she's sick.
 

Iownamovingcastle

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 6, 2014
Messages
652
Reaction score
557
Gender
Female
Country
United States
I am not sure what to think about how much she has completed. It would be a bit disheartening if she hadn't completed even one chapter after months that we know she has been working and there is nothing to say she hasn't been working for longer than the instragram has existed. I would like to believe that she is just giving us glimpses of what she has done and that at least 3-4 chapters have been started or worked on. That would be a decent buffer to return with when D.Gray-man comes back.
Maybe that is optimistic though?
 

Asclepius

MH Senpai
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Joined
Feb 1, 2010
Messages
9,412
Reaction score
5,154
Gender
Female
Country
Brazil
Well, printing and deleting the handwritten text is something that JUMP editors do according to a small documentary showing a bit of the process in One Piece.

I know it would be easier for Hoshino to do this herself since she is drawing digitally, but testing how it appears after printing is the editor department's duty.

It really doesn't need to be the whole chapter, Konomi (Prince of Tennis) has a history of late works with the editor coming to his studio and running back to JUMP office with one page at a time to work on it and send to the printing department. Poor guy. :XD
 

NonExisted

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 22, 2010
Messages
1,115
Reaction score
1,640
Gender
Hidden
Country
Vietnam
@kannazuki: thank you so much for translation!
I just found out in the drawing material comment, Hoshino was mentioning using Frixion pen for names. She seems to really enjoy her life.

Also, I did a few experiments. The chapter contains Lavi has 52 pages. It's unknown if Hoshino used up all the pages though...

---------- Post added at 09:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 PM ----------

And while I were at it, I recognized Mana's face in that chapter...and how far the chapter is from chapter 219 as Allen no longer in the same outfits with the one from chapter 218...
 
Last edited:

anyoneforthe

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jun 27, 2013
Messages
157
Reaction score
112
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
And while I were at it, I recognized Mana's face in that chapter...and how far the chapter is from chapter 219 as Allen no longer in the same outfits with the one from chapter 218...
Woah seriously? Allen's outfit changed? When? or.... wait are you talking about her concept art... cause that's probably something she's just testing out for much much later chapters.

I need good proof that she isn't still working on the same chapter. Actually, I WANT proof. Its disheartening to think that Hoshino is still plucking away on ch. 219.

But she always has a really long chapter after a hiatus, right? with colored pages and promotional art, too?
 

NonExisted

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 22, 2010
Messages
1,115
Reaction score
1,640
Gender
Hidden
Country
Vietnam
Woah seriously? Allen's outfit changed? When? or.... wait are you talking about her concept art... cause that's probably something she's just testing out for much much later chapters.

I need good proof that she isn't still working on the same chapter. Actually, I WANT proof. Its disheartening to think that Hoshino is still plucking away on ch. 219.

But she always has a really long chapter after a hiatus, right? with colored pages and promotional art, too?
I was talking about this one

Notice the coat's collar (or whatever it's called), also, Allen's waistcoat is toned gray (the one from chapter 215 onwards is toned black) and the page doesn't seem to have anykind of 'special blending' or some sorts . Even so, his clothings seems to be torn (the ribbon) so some amount of time already passes again from the time he changes clothes
 
Last edited:

anyoneforthe

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jun 27, 2013
Messages
157
Reaction score
112
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
The page is a WIP... you can tell that by looking at Allen's hair and the panel above that it isn't even properly inked yet. As for the change in the button placement on his jacket.... well gosh dang it... you got me. I don't know what to say.... its does kind look like he's wearing a different jacket... mainly because of the button placements. The collar... its too blurry to tell.

Man oh man... I really hope your right.

BUT STILL this is not the undeniable proof I asked for! *trying to act unfazed by the new information*.... um it could still from the same chapter.... um what am I supposed think now? I mean this WIP picture is like 4 months old, right? Does that mean that she been working on multiple chapters at once?.... or..... if this chapter 223... then why is she showing WIP pictures of them? Wouldn't it make more sense to show us chapter 219 WIP?

... I really wish they could give some official announcement... even if the announcement is "D.gray-man is coming back Spring 3216"
 

Darjaille

Custom Title
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Apr 16, 2011
Messages
5,405
Reaction score
3,207
Gender
Hidden
Country
Slovakia
I really think you don't have to worry that she's only drawn one chapter, lol. As <1month is usual for one chapter, she'd have to work 4? times slower for her to only have one chapter. And she's been faithfully posting random scribbles, birthday wishes and everyday things, it doesn't seem she feels bad or anything. For what we know, she's been working before the ig account was made as well...

Now for the announcement, we can do nothing but wait. Actually ToC for coming SQ issue should be up soon? I can't help but wait impatiently every time new month comes round #prayercirclefordgm
 

NonExisted

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 22, 2010
Messages
1,115
Reaction score
1,640
Gender
Hidden
Country
Vietnam
The page is a WIP... you can tell that by looking at Allen's hair and the panel above that it isn't even properly inked yet. As for the change in the button placement on his jacket.... well gosh dang it... you got me. I don't know what to say.... its does kind look like he's wearing a different jacket... mainly because of the button placements. The collar... its too blurry to tell.
Putting it in the most simple ways: The current one is a combination of triangles and this one has square for upper collar.

It's not necessary to ink everything before toned. It's just recommended and Hoshino can does it in whatever way and order she likes.

then why is she showing WIP pictures of them? Wouldn't it make more sense to show us chapter 219 WIP?
She was working on multiple chapters at once and just worked on whatever pages she felt like. Since the composition was ready, there was no essential need for working order.

... I really wish they could give some official announcement... even if the announcement is "D.gray-man is coming back Spring 3216"
I hope I will reincarnate in this world at that year, old enough to read. ;v;

Now for the announcement, we can do nothing but wait. Actually ToC for coming SQ issue should be up soon? I can't help but wait impatiently every time new month comes round #prayercirclefordgm
TLR;D and Prince of Tennis spoilers are out, confirming someone already got their magazines so there is no official new this month ;v;
 

Darjaille

Custom Title
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Apr 16, 2011
Messages
5,405
Reaction score
3,207
Gender
Hidden
Country
Slovakia
TLR;D and Prince of Tennis spoilers are out, confirming someone already got their magazines so there is no official new this month ;v;
Yeah especially because that, I mean those two spoilers are out but the ToC isn't, so maybe those people who posted spoilers for SPoT and TLR just don't care about mag announcements >.< I wish the ToC was out already so that I can stop hoping lol.
 

NonExisted

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 22, 2010
Messages
1,115
Reaction score
1,640
Gender
Hidden
Country
Vietnam
Yeah especially because that, I mean those two spoilers are out but the ToC isn't, so maybe those people who posted spoilers for SPoT and TLR just don't care about mag announcements >.< I wish the ToC was out already so that I can stop hoping lol.
There were a capture for announcement page. ;v;
If we don't get the announcement this month, it's most likely we will have to wait until May for new chapter since April's Jump SQ cover & color page are secured for Owari no Seraph. I know there are another color page slot but DGM's return worths a cover, at least I think so. ;v;
 
Top