Discussion Who are your favourite characters?

Holt

#1 Ranker
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Global Moderator
Joined
Aug 6, 2014
Messages
8,036
Reaction score
8,321
Gender
Male
Country
Nigeria
They're all pretty cool but when it comes to fighting, king is top for me. Overall, I don't think I have a favorite yet.
 

Judar

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
May 25, 2015
Messages
14
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Country
United States
1) Ban

2) Escanor

3) Merlin

4) Meliodas

5) Diane
 

SpectrumRay16

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 23, 2015
Messages
1,230
Reaction score
315
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
1. Escanor (because I'm so hyped for this man to be introduced into the main plot after just 3 chapters, with limited information... and he is badass/cute)

2. King (because, mentally and emotionally, he is probably the strongest character, going through all he has and still pushing forward)

3. Diane (because Diane is awesome and her backstory has gotten me into her character more)

4. Ban (because this man used to be at #1 and then everyone above him got a backstory or introduced XD, i like Ban because no matter how much you heal it still hurts and he is the definition of that, not to mention his current goals interest me)

5. Meliodas (because i like his comedic effect as well as hie leader like role of the group, not to mention his backstory is something i'm looking forward to)

6. Merlin (because Merlin's shady nature and somewhat selfish conduct has me interested)

7. Gowther (because... other than being morally grey and logical, his backstory is all that's left that interests me)
 

kiriya

MH Senpai
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
May 14, 2015
Messages
403
Reaction score
243
Age
27
Gender
Female
Country
Australia
Merlin's definitely my favourite so far. She's, like, everything I aspire to be in life. Smart? Check. Beautiful? Check. Confident? Check. Shady as hell? Check. Also, her anime VA is Maaya Sakamoto, who is one of my favourite singers / voice actresses of all time, so that's another point right there.

After that it's probably something like Gowther > King > Escanor > Diane > Meliodas > Ban. What can I say, I like the morally ambiguous ones.
 

Pietro

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2012
Messages
2,400
Reaction score
814
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
1)Escanor
2)Merlin
3)Ban
4)King
5)Meliodas
6)Diane
7)Gowther.
Even if I have to say that I love all of them
 

Danmyao Axe

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Oct 28, 2015
Messages
36
Reaction score
20
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
My favorite Sins are Meliodas and Ban, they are very cool and badass
 

XenonVoid

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Oct 22, 2015
Messages
74
Reaction score
42
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Favorite is Escanor because he makes a completely impractical weapon look totally badass. However, the one I relate to the most is Gowther, what with his lack of any strong emotions. People get mad at me all the time because I can say or do really hurtful things without realizing they're hurtful because my emotions are severely suppressed 95% of the time.

Second favorite is Mel, because powerful demon protagonist. Just so much yes.
 

Notice me Escanor senpai

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2008
Messages
12,424
Reaction score
4,560
Gender
Female
Country
Morocco
Ah if only this thread was made after Escanor's introduction. Originally my favorite sin was Ban, while he's still one of my favorites, he got outshined by Escanor, literally. :derp

Praise the sun!
 

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,286
Reaction score
24,919
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
I don't really find all that much to like or dislike about escanor, specially his more powerful form. Overall all we have seen is him being a concentration of the abstract concept of pride and said pride being 110% justified. So escanor is basically perfect and by extension not particularly interesting. His weaker self is more interesting however he lacks power and much of anything so he has not really contributed anything other than his inherent whimpyness to the story.

So now that the seven have been introduced I am going maintain king as my favorite sin. He is the only sin that regularly gets actual development. And he finally got reunited with his half dead sister after literally hundreds of years so we got quite a bit to look forward to in that regard. I wonder if his ability to rule over life and death can help solidify her state so to speak. She is not really alive yet so she eventually needs to revive. Or perhaps this is good enough and as an undead of sorts (which funny enough, ban claimed to be even though he is literally the opposite of an undead in every form or context) elaine can truly stay with ban for eternity. I mean, ban as an immortal would have infinitely outlived a mere fairy even if her lifespan is longer than king's (which probably isn't the case).
 

Holt

#1 Ranker
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Global Moderator
Joined
Aug 6, 2014
Messages
8,036
Reaction score
8,321
Gender
Male
Country
Nigeria
I actually like Meliodas a lot. Ban is a close second. King is on the lower rung for me. I find he acts too much like a kid most times.
For escanor, I actually like his buff form a lot mostly because of how prideful he is and the fact that it's entirely justified. The contrast with his weaker form also makes him more interesting.
 

HereNThere

Alive Ain't Always Livin'
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 8, 2009
Messages
8,384
Reaction score
12,173
Gender
Male
Country
United States
King and Gowther are still the bestest. Escanor is second after them, then Merlin, though I wish Nakaba let her fight a bit more.
 

Notice me Escanor senpai

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2008
Messages
12,424
Reaction score
4,560
Gender
Female
Country
Morocco
I don't really find all that much to like or dislike about escanor, specially his more powerful form. Overall all we have seen is him being a concentration of the abstract concept of pride and said pride being 110% justified. So escanor is basically perfect and by extension not particularly interesting. His weaker self is more interesting however he lacks power and much of anything so he has not really contributed anything other than his inherent whimpyness to the story.

So now that the seven have been introduced I am going maintain king as my favorite sin. He is the only sin that regularly gets actual development. And he finally got reunited with his half dead sister after literally hundreds of years so we got quite a bit to look forward to in that regard. I wonder if his ability to rule over life and death can help solidify her state so to speak. She is not really alive yet so she eventually needs to revive. Or perhaps this is good enough and as an undead of sorts (which funny enough, ban claimed to be even though he is literally the opposite of an undead in every form or context) elaine can truly stay with ban for eternity. I mean, ban as an immortal would have infinitely outlived a mere fairy even if her lifespan is longer than king's (which probably isn't the case).
To me both versions of him are interesting, the weaker one is more of a comic relief character, while the buff form is simply perfect, but can also be funny. Overall I like the duality and the contrast between both versions. We still need some time to figure out how he'll interact with the other sins, but I can tell that while he's in his buff form he's more serious.He was even seen ordering Ban. I wonder if it wouldn't have been better to have him as the captain of the sins, of course if it weren't for his curse. Mel is mostly seen fooling around, while I have the impression that Escanor could be more sensible, again if it weren't for his curse and his pride which again is justified.
Old scanor in that regard would have been perfect as a captain, and this is pretty much how I picture Denzel.
 

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,286
Reaction score
24,919
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
To me both versions of him are interesting, the weaker one is more of a comic relief character, while the buff form is simply perfect, but can also be funny. Overall I like the duality and the contrast between both versions. We still need some time to figure out how he'll interact with the other sins, but I can tell that while he's in his buff form he's more serious.He was even seen ordering Ban. I wonder if it wouldn't have been better to have him as the captain of the sins, of course if it weren't for his curse. Mel is mostly seen fooling around, while I have the impression that Escanor could be more sensible, again if it weren't for his curse and his pride which again is justified.
Old scanor in that regard would have been perfect as a captain, and this is pretty much how I picture Denzel.
Well, at this point the contrast between both versions is literally the only thing overall interesting about escanor. I guess time will tell whether escanor is interesting or not, he has appeared twice in the manga so far (including the edinburg bit) and so far neither has really gone into any debt regarding his personality. We just saw him being a whimp and then... not being one I guess.

I have the idea that there actually would be friction between meliodas and escanor in regards to leadership of the group. Escanor has been rather explicit regarding his own inherent awesomeness in his powered up form. He told the vampire king that kngs like him were as numerous as grains or sand (or something of the sort) and called himself the apex of the species and IIRC all clans as well. The order of the seven deadly sins was created by bartra through his power. Which means that the whole thing implies escanor accepted bartra as king and then being meliodas subordinate. Meliodas even has trouble ordering the lesser sins at this point (remember when he first proposed invading liones?) so it really is hard to imagine meliodas successfully ordering escanro to do anything at all.

Meliodas: All right team! Time to kick some ass! Escanor, you are up!

Escanor: Why should an unique existence like mine, listen to a captain like you who are as numerous as the microbes in my waste? Actually scratch that, all my waste is sterile. The first and last time I will ever make a mistake, otherwise I will literally kill the abstract concept of a mistake for daring to get in my way. You should feel honored you witnessed this, it will literally never happen again. Anyways, why should I listen to you, who is as numerous and ordinary as the king who appointed you and also as numerous as the microbes in everyone else waste?

Meliodas: What's a microbe?

Escanor: Well, everything that is not me.

I could seriously see meliodas making a call as captain and escanor straight up not do it. And while at it simply propose a better plan. Which shouldn't actually be difficult as A) buffscanor seems to be effectively perfect and b) meliodas does not plan too much or very hard.
 
Last edited:

Gallon

Artichoke
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Apr 6, 2015
Messages
6,197
Reaction score
13,371
Gender
Male
Country
Joker
My favourite is Meliodas. His character is shrouded in mystery and he has likely had the most interesting past out of the other characters.
 

Baum

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 17, 2015
Messages
775
Reaction score
779
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
To me both versions of him are interesting, the weaker one is more of a comic relief character, while the buff form is simply perfect, but can also be funny. Overall I like the duality and the contrast between both versions. We still need some time to figure out how he'll interact with the other sins, but I can tell that while he's in his buff form he's more serious.He was even seen ordering Ban. I wonder if it wouldn't have been better to have him as the captain of the sins, of course if it weren't for his curse. Mel is mostly seen fooling around, while I have the impression that Escanor could be more sensible, again if it weren't for his curse and his pride which again is justified.
Old scanor in that regard would have been perfect as a captain, and this is pretty much how I picture Denzel.
I have a feeling that Escanor's pride might not be as much of a problem the way he is right now. I mean..yeah, he's full of himself, but if anyone can get away with it it's him simply because he is that awesome/strong, but he also seemed kind of reasonable in his day form, he maintained his cool in a situation that would've pissed him off royally back around the time Edinburgh happened (and I'd argue Galan and Mera said things that should've provoked him even more than the stuff Izraf threw at him), he actually held himself back when he was about to smite Galan instead of just retaliating and that order he gave Ban seemed like it was issued out of concern/because he knows very well how his power works (I said it somewhere else, but I think it might be possible that Escanor will literally burst with sunshine before he starts regressing back to his night form and that Nakaba did that change back off-panel because he wants to save that for the future, maybe sort of as Esca's "ace" in case he should face someone who actually manages to hold up against him long enough) not because he thinks Ban is a nuisance, he should have a good idea of how Ban's powers work, too, after all (although he might see Elaine and Janko a bit differently lel)
Just the impression I got from him, especially with that "feminist" line of him. Maybe I just want him to be the nice guy in both forms XD
So...yeah, I totally agree that Day Escanor seems more fit for the role of the captain than Meliodas and his antics. And..it seems Ban thinks so, too. He didn't follow any of Mel's orders that we know off so far, did he? (I don't think any of the sins did..maybe I'm forgetting something)


Anyway, my favorite sin...I'm not sure tbh. I like Meliodas as a character with his weird habits, his powers are something pretty unique for an MC in a shounen (they're usually not nearly as defensive as Mel with his power/magic) and his backstory is really f***ing intriguing (mostly because I love Liz, she's pretty awesome)
Ban's awesome, too. I don't think I have to list the things I like about him, that stuff should be pretty obvious at this point, because a ton of people seem to love him, and how could you not? And..I don't float "that way" at all, but he looked really damn good in his latest fight. Hm-hmm :derp
And, well..Escanor is Escanor. Agreeing with you, Lola, I really like the contrast between the wimpy, little try-hard with a heart of gold and the huge, muscle-packed badass whose huge pride is only rivaled by his ridiculous strength. It's fun to see him wreck shit and/or be a dork and if his backstory is anywhere near as good as the ones we saw up to this point, he'll likely rise even higher in popularity. I'm also really digging the stache :teehee
 
Last edited:

Notice me Escanor senpai

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2008
Messages
12,424
Reaction score
4,560
Gender
Female
Country
Morocco
Well, at this point the contrast between both versions is literally the only thing overall interesting about escanor. I guess time will tell whether escanor is interesting or not, he has appeared twice in the manga so far (including the edinburg bit) and so far neither has really gone into any debt regarding his personality. We just saw him being a whimp and then... not being one I guess.

I have the idea that there actually would be friction between meliodas and escanor in regards to leadership of the group. Escanor has been rather explicit regarding his own inherent awesomeness in his powered up form. He told the vampire king that kngs like him were as numerous as grains or sand (or something of the sort) and called himself the apex of the species and IIRC all clans as well. The order of the seven deadly sins was created by bartra through his power. Which means that the whole thing implies escanor accepted bartra as king and then being meliodas subordinate. Meliodas even has trouble ordering the lesser sins at this point (remember when he first proposed invading liones?) so it really is hard to imagine meliodas successfully ordering escanro to do anything at all.

Meliodas: All right team! Time to kick some ass! Escanor, you are up!

Escanor: Why should an unique existence like mine, listen to a captain like you who are as numerous as the microbes in my waste? Actually scratch that, all my waste is sterile. The first and last time I will ever make a mistake, otherwise I will literally kill the abstract concept of a mistake for daring to get in my way. You should feel honored you witnessed this, it will literally never happen again. Anyways, why should I listen to you, who is as numerous and ordinary as the king who appointed you and also as numerous as the microbes in everyone else waste?

Meliodas: What's a microbe?

Escanor: Well, everything that is not me.

I could seriously see meliodas making a call as captain and escanor straight up not do it. And while at it simply propose a better plan. Which shouldn't actually be difficult as A) buffscanor seems to be effectively perfect and b) meliodas does not plan too much or very hard.
You sure like to make scenarios in your head. It's a fanfiction at this point.
I don't see what's so bad about Escanor's personality tbh. Again it's too early to tell for sure, but there is a sense of righteousness about him even in his day form. That's the impression I got.Mel is a terrible captain, he's not into planning really, and we could say that his plan backfired in a way. I don't think Buffscanor will challenge Mel just because he feels superior to him, rather he will challenge him because of his bad planning. And we don't know how he'll react to the whole Mel is a demon thing.Because it looks like he only knew about demons through Merlin, and even thought they didn't exist. So my guess is that he doesn't know about Mel being one.
We should prolly get a flashback of Escanor in the future, to understand where he came from, what he did to be branded as a criminal etc. Maybe that has something to do with Rhitta, the girl that was beloved by the sun after which his ST is named.

---------- Post added at 08:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:22 PM ----------

I have a feeling that Escanor's pride might not be as much of a problem as he is right now. I mean..yeah, he's full of himself, but if anyone can get away with it it's him simply because he is that awesome/strong, but he also seemed kind of reasonable in his day form, he maintained his cool in a situation that would've pissed him off royally back around the time Edinburgh happened (and I'd argue Galan and Mera said things that should've provoked him even more than the stuff Izraf threw at him), he actually held himself back when he was about to smite Galan instead of just retaliating and that order he gave Ban seemed like it was issued out of concern/because he knows very well how his power works (I said it somewhere else, but I think it might be possible that Escanor will literally burst with sunshine before he starts regressing back to his night form and that Nakaba did that change back off-panel because he wants to save that for the future, maybe as some sort of Esca's "ace" in case he should face someone who actually managed to hold up against him long enough) not because he thinks Ban is a nuisance, he should have a good idea of how Ban's powers work, too, after all (although he might see Elaine and Janko a bit differently lel)
Just the impression I got from him, especially with that "feminist" line of him. Maybe I just want him to be the nice guy in both forms XD
So...yeah, I totally agree that Day Escanor seems more fit for the role of the captain than Meliodas and his antics. And..it seems Ban thinks so, too. He didn't follow any of Mel's orders that we know off so far, did he? (I don't think any of the sins did..maybe I'm forgetting something)


Anyway, my favorite sin...I'm not sure tbh. I like Meliodas as a character with his weird habits, his powers are something pretty unique for an MC in a shounen (they're usually not nearly as defensive as Mel with his power/magic) and his backstory is really f***ing intriguing (mostly because I love Liz, she's pretty awesome)
Ban's awesome, too. I don't think I have to list the things I like about him, that stuff should be pretty obvious at this point, because a ton of people seem to love him, and how could you not? And..I don't float "that way" at all, but he looked really damn good in his latest fight. Hm-hmm :derp
And, well..Escanor is Escanor. Agreeing with you, Lola, I really like the contrast between the wimpy, little try-hard with a heart of gold and the huge, muscle-packed badass whose huge pride is only rivaled by his ridiculous strength. It's fun to see him wreck shit and/or be a dork and if his backstory is anywhere near as good as the ones we saw up to this point, he'll likely rise even higher in popularity. I'm also really digging the stache :teehee
Escanor needs more love. :uguu
I agree about what you said, the Ban bit is prolly because he didn't want to get him into trouble, because of his peak form. Still it's pretty interesting to see how no one really wants to challenge his authority, not even Ban who is usually pretty cocky. :derp
Yeah he'd make a better captain than Mel, assuming his pride isn't too unreasonable. He actually looks like he's controlling himself better this time around, compared to when he fought Izraf, so he might not go berserk all the time. Can't wait to see how King and Diane(when she's healed) react to him.:blai
They could shit their pants when he's in his day form.:derp
 

Demonspeed

The Bull
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Joined
Apr 30, 2012
Messages
47,672
Reaction score
61,369
Gender
Male
Country
France
I kinda share kkck's opinion about Escanor. I am somewhat indifferent to him, he's a badass during the night and lacks confidence during the day, and I do find his day form more entertaining. He has been introduced recently so there's plenty of time to show more about him, but I don't like him much as of now.

Gowther is my favorite by far, it's been like that a few chapters after his introduction, the mess he created made me like him even more. After him there's Merlin, Meliodas and Ban. Sometimes I like King has an interesting story but I dislike most of his decisions, definitely my least favorite Sin.
 

Notice me Escanor senpai

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2008
Messages
12,424
Reaction score
4,560
Gender
Female
Country
Morocco
I kinda share kkck's opinion about Escanor. I am somewhat indifferent to him, he's a badass during the night and lacks confidence during the day, and I do find his day form more entertaining. He has been introduced recently so there's plenty of time to show more about him, but I don't like him much as of now.

Gowther is my favorite by far, it's been like that a few chapters after his introduction, the mess he created made me like him even more. After him there's Merlin, Meliodas and Ban. Sometimes I like King has an interesting story but I dislike most of his decisions, definitely my least favorite Sin.
You got it backwards.

Well I prolly hate Gowther, I don't think there's a sin who makes such a huge mess, King is definitely not interesting for me but he's more tolerable than Gowther.
 

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,286
Reaction score
24,919
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
You sure like to make scenarios in your head. It's a fanfiction at this point.
I don't see what's so bad about Escanor's personality tbh. Again it's too early to tell for sure, but there is a sense of righteousness about him even in his day form. That's the impression I got.Mel is a terrible captain, he's not into planning really, and we could say that his plan backfired in a way. I don't think Buffscanor will challenge Mel just because he feels superior to him, rather he will challenge him because of his bad planning. And we don't know how he'll react to the whole Mel is a demon thing.Because it looks like he only knew about demons through Merlin, and even thought they didn't exist. So my guess is that he doesn't know about Mel being one.
We should prolly get a flashback of Escanor in the future, to understand where he came from, what he did to be branded as a criminal etc. Maybe that has something to do with Rhitta, the girl that was beloved by the sun after which his ST is named.
I don't think it goes as far as fanfiction lol. I find that it is the easiest way to explain how I see certain things in the manga. At least it would be easier, and hopefully less boring, that actually explaining that lol.

My point is not that escanor's personality is bad. It's just that up to this point there really is nothing to see about him. Both of his appearances have been more or less the same, him showing off the vastness of his awesomeness, which somehow manages to be more vast than his pectorals, which impossibly make up 90% of his actual body. It's not like with king who was introduced with a vendeta against ban or ban who was introduced nailed to a prison cell.

Well, considering how escanor is basically superman at this point it kinda seems like things will fall more in the area of escanor upstaging mel as a strategist even if mel was a good strategist. So far everything with escanor is about said vast awesomeness.

True, he probably does not know about mel being a demon. I don't think he will care too much though. He sounds like he would think something like he would obliterate meliodas himself if it turns out he is a traitor.

What caught my attention about escanor and his sin is his tattoo. He seems to have the largest tatto among the sins, at least proportionally to his own size. Perhaps it is a reference to him bearing the greatest upon his back? Pride is usually regarded as the gravest sin. So far the situation of each sin in regards to their sin is that they are innocent and even regarded as heroes for the events. So it'd be interesting if escanor, unlike the other sins, had actually committed a heinous crime.

---------- Post added at 04:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:35 PM ----------

You got it backwards.

Well I prolly hate Gowther, I don't think there's a sin who makes such a huge mess, King is definitely not interesting for me but he's more tolerable than Gowther.
Well, there is plenty to hate about gowther, I'll give you that. He is too rapy to be likeable at this stage. His amoral stance, his probable literal rape of guila... His power is basically a date rape drug. That said, I do find his character to be interesting. He is an amoral alien robot trying to figure out what this thing called love is through rape. Gowther does deserve more attention though. Anything that can be described as "amoral alien robot trying to figure out what this thing called love is" deserves more attention, whether good or bad.
 

Demonspeed

The Bull
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Joined
Apr 30, 2012
Messages
47,672
Reaction score
61,369
Gender
Male
Country
France
^What tells you that Escanor is a great strategist? He doesn't seem to be particularly smart.
 
Top