Hangout New Prince of Tennis General + Q&A

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Global Moderator
Joined
Oct 31, 2009
Messages
9,443
Reaction score
4,769
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Konomi said that the 19th volume of NPoT will be released on Atobe's birthday. Cover is unknown.
Well, most of that volume will still be Ochi and Oishi's match and the rest is gonna be split pretty evenly between D1 and S3. So with Ochi getting the vol 18 cover I would assume Tohno's gonna be on the vol 19 one. I don't think Shiraishi will have his second one at this point, Zeus is an option I suppose.
 

ChinkyCandie

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2013
Messages
2,206
Reaction score
238
Gender
Female
Country
Australia
I don't see Zeus being an option. I mean if that were the case, Volk should have been on a cover already but he wasn't. Its most likely Tohno or Kirihara but I think Tohno has the bigger chance of landing the cover. He was more important in Doubles 1 than Kirihara was.
 

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Global Moderator
Joined
Oct 31, 2009
Messages
9,443
Reaction score
4,769
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Well, we'll probably see Germany play again, so Volk could still get his cover at that point. We most likely won't see Greece again after this though. But yeah, Tohno seems likely. Makes me wonder about the vol 20 cover though, the trend would indicate Kimijima but I don't think his match will have started by then. Maybe he'll have the first match vs the second opponent and Konomi's gonna squeeze the opening of it into the last chapter of vol 20?
 

Hardy

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jun 5, 2012
Messages
11,126
Reaction score
14,101
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Argentina
I don't know if this was discussed before, but here I go: I was playing Pokémon Heartgold -wait guys, this IS related somehow- and after catching Ho-Oh I decided to name it Byoudouin because their names are similar. After that, I got curious about their names and did a quick research. As some may know at this point, Hō-ō is how japanese pronounce the name of the Fenghuang, a mythical bird(s) often called the Chinese Phoenix -although I don't know if its powers are the same, all I know is that it's also said to never die.

The most ¨direct¨ connection I can make with Byoudouin and a Phoenix is that, after being over confident, losing to Oni and being sent to the loser's camp -...and who knows when but he also got terribly scarred not too long after that- with dedication he was ¨reborn¨ into the No.1 player in U-17 Japan. Furthermore, according to Wiki and to Ho-oh's Bulbapedia page, I got the following descriptions that may add some info -I decided to bold what I found interesting and that I think relates to Byoudouin-:

¨In some traditions it appears in good times but hides during times of trouble, while in other traditions it appeared only to mark the beginning of a new era. In China and Japan it was a symbol of the imperial house, and it represented "fire, the sun, justice, obedience, and fidelity".

¨Ho-Oh and Houou are alternate transcriptions of 鳳凰 Hōō (phoenix), specifically the Chinese phoenix, Fènghuáng. The ou may also refer to 皇 ō (emperor) or 王 ō (king).¨
 

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Global Moderator
Joined
Oct 31, 2009
Messages
9,443
Reaction score
4,769
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Yeah, I made that connection before, I don't think I ever posted about it though. Ever since having the realization that Pokemon did it too, I've been thinking about the way they transcribed it, though, and I just think it's interesting that they went with the dash (I personally like it). You obviously can't do Hoooo or Hohoh since nobody would get the pronunciation right in those cases, so I do wonder if Ho-oh might not be a better way to get it across than Houou even if it's somewhat unorthodox.

Regarding the last part, Byoudouin's nickname - Supreme Ruler - is Haou in the Japanese, so you have that reference in there as well.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Actually I did mention it in passing:

Byoudouin (Modified Supreme Ruler, Added Phoenix Revival, Modified Spirit Pirate, Modified Pirates of the World):
 

Hardy

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jun 5, 2012
Messages
11,126
Reaction score
14,101
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Argentina
Hoooo is a fitting name, an everlasting bird deserves a name that would last forever to pronounce :lmao

I really liked that bit that said that the Ho-o appears at the start of a new era, fitting this new Japanese generation aiming to the top of the world being led by Byoudouin. The other bit I remarked in that paragraph relates to Byoudouin and his methods, that for him are absolutely necessary -even though, from anyone else's point of view, they are hardly ¨justice¨.

One of these days I'll catch up with your Fan League notes btw ><

Edit: on that topic, if you came up with anything new you should update that thread a bit. Maybe a sort of buff for Tohno that won't make him a Kamikaze in the Fan league -as it used to be kind of common to be affraid of using him and pray for him not to injure himself- a skill that would let him go on even when injured would fit what we saw in the last chapters. For Kirihara on the other hand I have no idea what you could change.
 

Kiki

S-kyuu Madoushi
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Mangahelper
Joined
Aug 23, 2015
Messages
9,662
Reaction score
31,925
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
Fairy Tail

Finally! The most anticipated event has begun! Be sure to join, nominate your husbando here!​
 

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Global Moderator
Joined
Oct 31, 2009
Messages
9,443
Reaction score
4,769
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Updated the nation ranking with information from the volume. Only new stuff is the Prior Week column for 9th to 15th place, but might be interesting anyway. Included a table of the previous ranking underneath to make it easier to read (and yes, I'm aware that there are two 17th for the previous ranking and no 28th, but I'm guessing that's a mistake):

Rank​
Previous​
Country​
Points​
1​
1​
Germany​
16585​
2​
2​
Switzerland​
8945​
3​
3​
France​
8265​
4​
4​
Spain​
6865​
5​
7​
USA​
4235​
6​
6​
Argentina​
2850​
7​
5​
England​
2635​
8​
9​
Belgium​
2495​
9​
11​
Czech Republic​
2475​
10​
10​
Greece​
2405​
11​
8​
Russia​
2170​
12​
15​
Serbia​
2145​
13​
13​
Canada​
1880​
14​
12​
Italy​
1690​
15​
14​
South Africa​
1675​
16​
17​
Denmark​
1633​
17​
16​
Portugal​
?​
18​
25​
Australia​
1515​
19​
20​
Brazil​
1487​
20​
18​
Netherlands​
?​
21​
17​
China​
?​
22​
19​
Sweden​
?​
23​
31​
Japan​
?​
24​
22​
Mexico​
?​
25​
23​
Turkey​
1260​
26​
21​
Croatia​
1255​
27​
24​
India​
?​
28​
26​
Aramenoma​
1191​
29​
27​
South Korea​
1185​
30​
29​
Thailand​
1150​
31​
30​
Taiwan​
1135​
32​
44​
Tube Republic​
998​

Rank​
Country​
1​
Germany​
2​
Switzerland​
3​
France​
4​
Spain​
5​
England​
6​
Argentina​
7​
USA​
8​
Russia​
9​
Belgium​
10​
Greece​
11​
Czech Republic​
12​
Italy​
13​
Canada​
14​
South Africa​
15​
Serbia​
16​
Portugal​
17​
Denmark​
17​
China​
18​
Netherlands​
19​
Sweden​
20​
Brazil​
21​
Croatia​
22​
Mexico​
23​
Turkey​
24​
India​
25​
Australia​
26​
Aramenoma​
27​
South Korea​
29​
Thailand​
30​
Taiwan​
31​
Japan​
32​
???​

I still think it's fair to assume that the changes basically reflect how the Pre-WC went.

Went up:
USA (+2), Belgium (+1), Czech Republic (+2), Serbia (+3), Denmark (+1), Australia (+7), Brazil (+1), Japan (+8), Tube Republic (+12)

Went down:
England (-2), Russia (-3), Italy (-2), Portugal (-1), Netherlands (-2), China (-4), Sweden (-3), Mexico (-2), Turkey (-2), Croatia (-5), India (-3), Aramenoma (-2), South Korea (-2), Thailand (-1), Taiwan (-1)


The potentially most interesting changes we haven't talked about yet are Russia and Serbia in my eyes.

If Russia had a big drop-off in strength coming into the WC for whatever reason that might open up the way for China to potentially qualify in group F as some of you had speculated before - while China also lost a lot of points, there's a chance they threw the Pre-WC.

We don't know which group Serbia is in, but if they're on the rise and manage to cause an upset against one of the seeded teams (England and Belgium being the prime candidates here), it might result in one of those only ranking second at the end which could potentially end in an interesting first round match in the main tournament (e.g if Japan gets the drop on a Swiss team without Amadeus they could be facing England next).

Other than that, nothing really stands out to me as particularly relevant. I'm thinking Tube might qualify as the second team in group A after Germany after all. Turkey probably lost to some mid level team and then the final team in that group appears to be either Canada or South Africa, neither of which should be insurmountable.
 

ChinkyCandie

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2013
Messages
2,206
Reaction score
238
Gender
Female
Country
Australia
I'd like to see upsets so it won't be the predictable No.1-No.16 countries - Greece + Japan.
 

-Ken-

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 12, 2008
Messages
4,229
Reaction score
641
Gender
Male
Country
Thailand
Do volume 6 got anything that's not in the monthly version of the chapter I should be looking for?
 

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Global Moderator
Joined
Oct 31, 2009
Messages
9,443
Reaction score
4,769
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Do volume 6 got anything that's not in the monthly version of the chapter I should be looking for?
No, everything should be exactly the same as in the original releases.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Don't think we knew this before: NPoT has the front cover in the upcoming Jump SQ issue:

 

Haar

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Oct 6, 2016
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Age
30
Country
France
Hey guys !

I've finish the anime PoT&NPoT last week and then I continue with manga.
I'm already in chapter 175. It's the last chapter which have an english trad ? You've all read RAW versions after that ?
And last question, you know the time between traduction of chapters in english hum.. when 176 will be trad' ?
Because I'm so impatient. ^^

Ps : I'm french, and french people aren't good in english. You can say to me where I made mistakes. :)
 

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Global Moderator
Joined
Oct 31, 2009
Messages
9,443
Reaction score
4,769
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
I'm already in chapter 175. It's the last chapter which have an english trad ? You've all read RAW versions after that ?
And last question, you know the time between traduction of chapters in english hum.. when 176 will be trad' ?
That's correct, chapters 175+ do not have an English scan. We're relying on RAWs and summaries, most of which you can find in the archived discussion threads. Also, there's no time estimate for when the next English scans will come out since we effectively don't have a JP-EN translator for the series at the moment.
 

Haar

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Oct 6, 2016
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Age
30
Country
France
Ok, thanks for the answer ! :)
I need to be patient though.
 

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Global Moderator
Joined
Oct 31, 2009
Messages
9,443
Reaction score
4,769
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
It's pretty much just a summary, I'd liken it to a wiki entry more than anything.
 

ChinkyCandie

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2013
Messages
2,206
Reaction score
238
Gender
Female
Country
Australia
Tenipuri Festa 2016 will be available on Blu-ray and DVD from the 21st of April 2017.
 

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Global Moderator
Joined
Oct 31, 2009
Messages
9,443
Reaction score
4,769
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Something that came to my mind earlier: what if the name "Volk" is based on Völkl, the German racket manufacturer. That would make more sense to me than anything else I remember hearing so far.
 

Kiki

S-kyuu Madoushi
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Mangahelper
Joined
Aug 23, 2015
Messages
9,662
Reaction score
31,925
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
Fairy Tail

​
Which action do you like the most? Which romance is your most favorite? The most anticipated event of MangaHelpers is coming! Anime Awards 2017 will be held soon. Be sure to join us! :confetti
 

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Global Moderator
Joined
Oct 31, 2009
Messages
9,443
Reaction score
4,769
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
I rewatched the National Semifinals OVAs yesterday and it made me realize that Nanjirou also uses "daze", just like Ryoga. I feel like that slightly increases the probability that Ryoga basically serves as Nanjirou's proxy for Ryoma to face someone equal to his father (or possibly even stronger) in tournament.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Also, for anyone with a nicovideo account: http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm30242269

Starting at about 16:30, they voice act some parts of the recent Yukimura/Sanada match for about 3 minutes if you're interested in seeing that.
 
Top