Mag Talk - Weekly Shonen Jump [2015-2016] - Discussion and TOC Talk | Page 206 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2015-2016] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

lobito180

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Portugal

Did someone from Viz at least read Love Rush? It has almost nothing to do with E-Robot, LR being way less ecchi. And if that series wasn't well received, should they advertise that it was from the same author? Wouldn't that make people who didn't like ER don't even try LR?

Last edited:

Newkerzy

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
The Japanese team needs to qualify for the 2020 basketball olympics and a player should dye his hair red lol
They also need some way to cheat Steph on 3-pointers. Japan better pray a Midorima comes along for the team. I would fuckin' laugh at Team USA's reactions and Japan's reaction basically being "you can drop half-court shots? Pfft... That's nothing. We've got a guy who can do that while in the air."

UnspokenCoconut

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Galactic Republic
The Japanese team needs to qualify for the 2020 basketball olympics and a player should dye his hair red lol
They indeed qualify. Host nation for Olympic will automatically qualify for all events.

kobester11

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Oh right, theyre hosting the 2020 Olympics huh? I guess we'll see an influx of sports anime...

Sumo and Sesuji anime pls

DoctorApollo

Artist
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Israel
I think more than an influx of sports anime, it is likely that some long-running sports manga will have an Olympics arc around 2020.

N0R7H

Reaction score
Country
The Wall
I still wish for a Slam Dunk remake done by MadHouse or Mappa.

DoctorApollo

Artist
Reaction score
Country
Israel
as I understand it the Slam Dunk anime doesn't cover the whole story, right?

it's certainly weird, if there's a single series in the history of JUMP that deserves a full anime, you'd think Slam Dunk should be the first choice -- at least after Dragon Ball and One Piece.

N0R7H

Reaction score
Country
The Wall
The last two volumes weren't animated. And yes, I don't understand why Slam Dunk doesn't have a complete animation, it's one of the most selling mangas ever.

kobester11

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Slam Dunk has had somewhat a bitter ending. "The journey continues" ending works better for me. Plus, the anime doesn't need any remakes since it already did a great job. (It always get voted as one of the best anime of all time) Fixing something that's not broken will only make it worse.

Also, Toei owns the rights so what can we do? Tiger mask is getting a new series so there's still hope?

Bigivelfhq

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Portugal
The last two volumes weren't animated. And yes, I don't understand why Slam Dunk doesn't have a complete animation, it's one of the most selling mangas ever.
I hope you're not talking of Slam Dunk when saying that the 2 last volumes weren't animated! Because is more like 9 volumes not adapted!

Azure Warrior

Reaction score
Country
United States
Speaking of the Olympics, the lack of Ippo Makunouchi is also strange. When you are a character from a popular long running shonen manga who's also a boxing representative of Japan, you would expect him to be featured in the 2020 Olympics.

Mammo

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Oh right, theyre hosting the 2020 Olympics huh? I guess we'll see an influx of sports anime...

Sumo and Sesuji anime pls
sumo & ballroom dancing are not olympic sports tho

Like any anime based on jump manga slam dunk ended cos it was not popular.
I don't know what happened to you man, but recently l feel like every single one of your posts are bait

Tamil

Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
How successful was Slam Dunk's anime? Was it in terms of the disc sales, TV % ratings or the boost it gave to the manga? (or all three)?

Mammo

Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
didn't toei stop animating slam dunk because they were going bankrupt?

Bigivelfhq

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
slam dunk is one of the biggest manga of all time, what are you talking about? the anime was DEFINITELY popular. it's several orders of magnitude more popular than any anime they have going on right now aside from One Piece.

the only reason I can possibly imagine is maybe the copyright scandal with the NBA, but that's about it.
Hmm, nope!
Precure is more popular than Slam Dunk ever was, Dragon Ball too.

One Piece, Precure and Dragon Ball are right now the only anime that Toei is airing.
Next season they will add Digimon and Tiger Mask. Talking about previous prestige, Tiger Mask is bigger than Slam Dunk and Digimon, while arguably, also.

The most probable reason they didn't completed Slam Dunk seems to be rather simple, they were going for a new popular series, Hell Teacher Nube.
Many popular series in the past only got around 2 years of run even when popular to give place to another popular series. An example is Saint Seiya, that also didn't completed the manga, that was exchanged for Devil-kun.

kira

Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
oh what I'd give for slam dunk to be re-animated or just pick up where it ended.

DoctorApollo

Artist
Reaction score
Country
Israel
Hmm, nope!
Precure is more popular than Slam Dunk ever was, Dragon Ball too.

One Piece, Precure and Dragon Ball are right now the only anime that Toei is airing.
Next season they will add Digimon and Tiger Mask. Talking about previous prestige, Tiger Mask is bigger than Slam Dunk and Digimon, while arguably, also.

The most probable reason they didn't completed Slam Dunk seems to be rather simple, they were going for a new popular series, Hell Teacher Nube.
Many popular series in the past only got around 2 years of run even when popular to give place to another popular series. An example is Saint Seiya, that also didn't completed the manga, that was exchanged for Devil-kun.
When I said "they" I was talking about JUMP. Not Toei. But I can understand how that can be misconstrued

anyway i now understand that he was just baiting, so it doens't matter.

Bigivelfhq

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
didn't toei stop animating slam dunk because they were going bankrupt?
That is one of the most retarded rumors that ever appeared. Toei was, and still is, since the time it started the top animation company in Japan.

They at the time not only were riding on the back of past successes, but they had Dragon Ball and Sailor Moon as their Mega big hits. But those weren't the only other popular series they got during Slam Dunk airing. They had:
- Ghost Sweeper Mikami(The Creator of Zettai Karen Children first big success)
- Marmalade Boy
- Neighborhood Story(The creator of Nana first big success)
- Shoot (Basically the 2nd most popular football manga/anime in Japan ever)

Not to talk about the number of other series they did after Slam Dunk, like Hell Teacher Nube in the same timeslot, Gegege no Kitaro 4th series and more. Also Dragon Ball and Sailor Moon continued for 1 more year(With Dragon Ball almost doing 2 years).

Toei Animation was at that time everything but broke.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
How successful was Slam Dunk's anime? Was it in terms of the disc sales, TV % ratings or the boost it gave to the manga? (or all three)?
In terms of TV ratings the series did 15.3%, being the 9th best TV rated series of Weekly Shonen Jump ever(Of course if we consider Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z as the same series and the same for Mazinger Z and Great Mazinger).

Tamil

Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
That is one of the most retarded rumors that ever appeared. Toei was, and still is, since the time it started the top animation company in Japan.

They at the time not only were riding on the back of past successes, but they had Dragon Ball and Sailor Moon as their Mega big hits. But those weren't the only other popular series they got during Slam Dunk airing. They had:
- Ghost Sweeper Mikami(The Creator of Zettai Karen Children first big success)
- Marmalade Boy
- Neighborhood Story(The creator of Nana first big success)
- Shoot (Basically the 2nd most popular football manga/anime in Japan ever)

Not to talk about the number of other series they did after Slam Dunk, like Hell Teacher Nube in the same timeslot, Gegege no Kitaro 4th series and more. Also Dragon Ball and Sailor Moon continued for 1 more year(With Dragon Ball almost doing 2 years).

Toei Animation was at that time everything but broke.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

In terms of TV ratings the series did 15.3%, being the 9th best TV rated series of Weekly Shonen Jump ever(Of course if we consider Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z as the same series and the same for Mazinger Z and Great Mazinger).
Wait, toei always was the top animation company? Was there ever a big company that outdid toei ever?

How was precure more popular than slam dunk if it had those high ratings?

Xzone

Reaction score
Country
Isle of Man
The owner of Bushiroad is the president of NJPW, he want that wrestling company to be the one who fight WWE.I think for that reason TM return, to use the anime to attrack new boys to follow NJPW and not WWE, more than popular or nostalgia(who has a factor because DBS)

Status
Not open for further replies.