Discussion Fairy Tail Power Ranking Thread

Which side are you on?

  • Team Spriggan 12

    Votes: 48 51.6%
  • Team Diabolos/Dragon Eaters

    Votes: 45 48.4%

  • Total voters
    93

Char

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 9, 2016
Messages
689
Reaction score
1,963
Age
33
Country
Spain
I'm liking the epithet usage.

Spriggan ranks. If on the same line it means equal-ish
1) August, Irene,
2) Larcade
3) DiMaria, Brandish, God Serena, Wall, Invel
4) Ajeel, Jacob, Bloodman, Neinhart

Ajeel is probably good enough to be with Invel, but the latter has Ice Slave/Lock that give him that utility edge. I put Brandish on Dim's level because that's my guess - that they're about the same.
That's pretty agreeable, but Ajeel also has sand dehydration which is fairly useful. I expected more from Invel, I'm thinking of him as an ice version of Ajeel tbh, in terms of power.
 

Synn

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Nov 8, 2015
Messages
306
Reaction score
633
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
After the latest chapter, I decided to take a look at my previous ranking and leave it unchanged.
  1. Gildarts
  2. Laxus
  3. Natsu
  4. Erza/Gajeel
  5. Gray
  6. Mirajane
  7. Wendy
  8. Lucy/Makarov
  9. Juvia
Reasoning:
  • Comparing Erza vs. Ajeel to Gray vs. Invel, you can easily see two similar outcomes: both Fairy Tail mages needed the intervention of a teammate, in order to come out victorious. The main difference is that Erza did not have any resistance or immunity to Ajeel, whereas Gray had a natural affinity to absorb and resist Invel's magic.
  • Gray is definitely closing in on his peers, but his fights are so repetitive that it makes you wonder how he would fare against someone he's not immune to, which is why I think he's still behind Erza and Gajeel.
 
Last edited:

Brandish μ

Taking notes
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Global Moderator
Joined
Oct 24, 2015
Messages
10,244
Reaction score
33,630
Gender
Male
Country
Kingdom of Fiore
That's pretty agreeable, but Ajeel also has sand dehydration which is fairly useful. I expected more from Invel, I'm thinking of him as an ice version of Ajeel tbh, in terms of power.
True. I do agree that Invel and Ajeel probably have the same type of overall combat skill with their element. Ajeel's Sandword is better than Invel's Blizzard to me. But Invel's divine raiment is better than Ajeel's other offensive spells... rest is similar.

If anything it's Ice Lock/Slave vs Ajeel's better physicality (likely better durability, and definitely better movement/speed). Edit: Invel's personality is less likely to ruin him than Ajeel's... unless the latter is facing someone he deems strong.
 
Last edited:

XXEliteXXAceXX

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 1, 2015
Messages
2,099
Reaction score
3,100
Gender
Male
Country
United States
After the latest chapter, I decided to take a look at my previous ranking and leave it unchanged.
  1. Gildarts
  2. Laxus
  3. Natsu
  4. Erza/Gajeel
  5. Gray
  6. Mirajane
  7. Wendy
  8. Lucy/Makarov
  9. Juvia
Reasoning:
  • Comparing Erza vs. Ajeel to Gray vs. Invel, you can easily see two similar outcomes: both Fairy Tail mages needed the intervention of a teammate, in order to come out victorious. The main difference is that Erza did not have any resistance or immunity to Ajeel, whereas Gray had a natural affinity to absorb and resist Invel's magic.
  • Gray is definitely closing in on his peers, but his fights are so repetitive that it makes you wonder how he would fare against someone he's not immune to, which is why I think he's still behind Erza and Gajeel.
I'm not necessarily saying Gray is better than Erza. But he is definitely not below her in terms of power.

First of all, I don't see how Gray needed the intervention of a teammate to come out victorious. If you're talking about Juvia's "death", then I would disagree. The fact that he stomped Invel in his enraged state means that he probably would have defeated Invel with more difficulty if Juvia wasn't there. One common flaw I find in arguments is that people think a battle is either "all or nothing". By this, I mean either the character is enraged and beats his opponent or the character is not enraged and loses. The term, difficulty, exists... And because Gray annihilated Invel, I don't see how one can say with certainty that Gray would lose without Juvia being there. Besides, Gray was doing pretty well in the first part of the fight before the Ice Lock incident. Now Erza is different. She actually needed Bisca's help because she was about to die in Ajeel's grasp.

Secondly, I am curious as to why you labeled Gray's fights "repetitive". He lost to Rufus in the GMG Arc (but later won by countering his magic). Then he beat Silver in the Tartaros Arc by using strategy. And now he beats Invel in the Alvarez Arc by using his magic against him. Out of everyone in the series, I'd say his fights are the most diverse. Gajeel is repetitive because he keeps consuming different elements. Natsu is repetitive because he keeps one-shotting enemies. And Erza is repetitive with her Power of Friendship speeches. I will admit that her fight with Ajeel was legitimate this time.
 

Synn

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Nov 8, 2015
Messages
306
Reaction score
633
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
First of all, I don't see how Gray needed the intervention of a teammate to come out victorious. If you're talking about Juvia's "death", then I would disagree. The fact that he stomped Invel in his enraged state means that he probably would have defeated Invel with more difficulty if Juvia wasn't there. One common flaw I find in arguments is that people think a battle is either "all or nothing". By this, I mean either the character is enraged and beats his opponent or the character is not enraged and loses. The term, difficulty, exists... And because Gray annihilated Invel, I don't see how one can say with certainty that Gray would lose without Juvia being there. Besides, Gray was doing pretty well in the first part of the fight before the Ice Lock incident. Now Erza is different. She actually needed Bisca's help because she was about to die in Ajeel's grasp.
Your first point is completely invalid, if we take into account the fact that Ice Lock alone was enough to turn Gray into a defenseless puppy. His bloodlust stems from the fact that Juvia sacrificed herself so that he could live on, so the outcome would've been different if she wasn't there. He probably wouldn't have entered such a state of his own accord, and would've most likely lost the fight. Like I said, Ice Lock is a pretty broken spell; the only one that Gray was unable to overcome, other than commiting suicide. So this wasn't Gray's victory alone; Gray won because of Juvia's intervention.

It's appaling to see how people completely overlook Juvia's impact on this fight, but I'm not surprised.

Secondly, I am curious as to why you labeled Gray's fights "repetitive". He lost to Rufus in the GMG Arc (but later won by countering his magic). Then he beat Silver in the Tartaros Arc by using strategy. And now he beats Invel in the Alvarez Arc by using his magic against him. Out of everyone in the series, I'd say his fights are the most diverse. Gajeel is repetitive because he keeps consuming different elements. Natsu is repetitive because he keeps one-shotting enemies. And Erza is repetitive with her Power of Friendship speeches. I will admit that her fight with Ajeel was legitimate this time.
His fight with Rufus was the exception to the rule, but you cannot deny the fact that his fights always involve opponents with ice magic, so I disagree with your second point as well. To say Gray has the "most diverse" fights in the series is ludicrous, honestly.

When he does fight Natsu, and he probably will considering Gray has become a puppet, I will acknowledge his power. His fights versus Ice mages are terrible for power scaling comparisons, because he's immune to ice to begin with, so it's like an easy win every single time... Nothing extraordinary here; it's more of what we've already witnessed time and time again.
 

Ice devil slayer

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 6, 2016
Messages
1,387
Reaction score
2,534
Age
28
Country
France
Gray below erza...lol

1.gildarts
2.Laxus
3. Natsu/gray/df gajeel
4. Erza/mira
5. Base gajeel
 

Synn

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Nov 8, 2015
Messages
306
Reaction score
633
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
I mean, Titania already has two Spriggan fights under her belt, one of which admitted he can't do shit to her. :ohaielmo

Even Irene was afraid that Neinhart's power wouldn't be enough to fight Erza, so she had to enhance his power so that he could annihilate the fairy queen.

Coming from the second strongest Spriggan, that pretty much speaks for itself. So yeah, Gray is definitely staring at Erza's back right now. :yodawg
 

XXEliteXXAceXX

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 1, 2015
Messages
2,099
Reaction score
3,100
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Your first point is completely invalid, if we take into account the fact that Ice Lock alone was enough to turn Gray into a defenseless puppy. His bloodlust stems from the fact that Juvia sacrificed herself so that he could live on, so the outcome would've been different if she wasn't there. He probably wouldn't have entered such a state of his own accord, and would've most likely lost the fight. Like I said, Ice Lock is a pretty broken spell; the only one that Gray was unable to overcome, other than commiting suicide. So this wasn't Gray's victory alone; Gray won because of Juvia's intervention.

It's appaling to see how people completely overlook Juvia's impact on this fight, but I'm not surprised.
You're not the only one (because I've seen many people say this) but there seems to be a confusion here. Ice Lock is a type of magic that only works on two people. This means if Juvia was never there to begin with, Gray wouldn't have to deal with this sort of problem. So the outcome would indeed be different. But not in the way that Gray would lose this fight...

His fight with Rufus was the exception to the rule, but you cannot deny the fact that his fights always involve opponents with ice magic, so I disagree with your second point as well. To say Gray has the "most diverse" fights in the series is ludicrous, honestly.

When he does fight Natsu, and he probably will considering Gray has become a puppet, I will acknowledge his power. His fights versus Ice mages are terrible for power scaling comparisons, because he's immune to ice to begin with, so it's like an easy win every single time... Nothing extraordinary here; it's more of what we've already witnessed time and time again.
No, it is not "ludicrous". Gray is the only character thus far who hasn't had repetitive fights.

As for Gray being immune to ice, this is his first fight where he actually uses this passive ability. Back in the Tartaros Arc, he defeated Silver while being affected by ice. As for his encounter with Ur, that was mainly Lyon's fight. So, I don't see where you are going with this point. Besides, like I said, Gray is one of the few characters that has actually been defeated before whereas everyone else always wins...
 

Synn

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Nov 8, 2015
Messages
306
Reaction score
633
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
You're not the only one (because I've seen many people say this) but this is exactly where a lot people are confused. Ice Lock is a type of magic that only works on two people. This means if Juvia was never there to begin with, Gray wouldn't have to deal with this sort of problem. So the outcome would indeed be different. But not in the way that Gray would lose this fight...
Oh, yeah? Who did Invel bind Mavis to? Because last time I checked, she was also Ice Lock'd and she was alone with Irene in the room.

No, it is not "ludicrous". Gray is the only character thus far who hasn't had repetitive fights.
I fail to see how fighting Ice mages over and over again is something new...

As for Gray being immune to ice, this is his first fight where he actually uses this passive ability. Back in the Tartaros Arc, he defeated Silver while being affected by ice. As for his encounter with Ur, that was mainly Lyon's fight. So, I don't see where you are going with this point. Besides, like I said, Gray is one of the few characters that has actually been defeated before whereas everyone else always wins...
It doesn't make my point any less valid. Laxus, Erza and all the others who took down Spriggans did not start with a big advantage like Gray did, hence why I said it is hard to compare his power to his peers, because he was granted another easy win here.
Also, the Ul fight wasn't Lyon's alone; it was meant to show that Gray has grown and he has (at least when it comes to fight Ice mages).
 
Last edited:

Static

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2016
Messages
5,918
Reaction score
10,237
Age
25
Gender
Male
Country
India
I mean, Titania already has two Spriggan fights under her belt, one of which admitted he can't do shit to her. :ohaielmo

Even Irene was afraid that Neinhart's power wouldn't be enough to fight Erza, so she had to enhance his power so that he could annihilate the fairy queen.

Coming from the second strongest Spriggan, that pretty much speaks for itself. So yeah, Gray is definitely staring at Erza's back right now. :yodawg
Well, to be fair, it was because his Historia do not work on Erza and he is definitely the weakest out of the bunch lol.
 

Brandish μ

Taking notes
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Global Moderator
Joined
Oct 24, 2015
Messages
10,244
Reaction score
33,630
Gender
Male
Country
Kingdom of Fiore
I think Cana might be a bit of a wild card.

She's got Fairy Glitter. Even if she's not as strong as the others... like in a 1-on-1 she'd still get beat by several in the guild... FG might be one of the strongest attacks anyone has.

Cana's running around with Gildarts right now... maybe she will help him fight August.


For the guild ranks...
Romeo
Natsu, Laxus, Gildarts
Gray, Gajeel, Erza, Mirajane
Lucy, Cana, Wendy, Elfman, Freed
Juvia, Lisanna, Bickslow, Evergreen
Not really confident on the last 2 lines.
 

XXEliteXXAceXX

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 1, 2015
Messages
2,099
Reaction score
3,100
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Oh, yeah? Who did Invel bind Mavis to? Because last time I checked, she was also Ice Lock'd and she was alone with Irene in the room.
That was Ice Slave. I still don't know where people on this forum are getting these information from...

I fail to see how fighting Ice mages over and over again is something new...
If fighting ice mages is why you called Gray's fights repetitive, what about Erza? She fought many sword users like Ikaruga, Erza Knightwalker, Kagura, and more. How about Natsu? He fought many mages who utilized fire/explosions like Totomaru, Zancrow, Jackal, Tempesta, etc.

It doesn't make my point any less valid. Laxus, Erza and all the others who took down Spriggans did not start with a big advantage like Gray did, hence why I said it is hard to compare his power to his peers, because he was granted another easy win here.
Also, the Ul fight wasn't Lyon's alone; it was meant to show that Gray has grown and he has (at least when it comes to fight Ice mages).
No, Gray had little impact on this fight. I think it was made pretty clear that Lyon was the main contestant here.

Erza and the others may have fought Spriggans that they didn't have an advantage in, but how about the past? Erza fought people like Midnight who she was an exact counter to. Laxus fought people like Wahl who was vulnerable to electricity. I can name many more. The bias is just unbelievable...
 

Talenel

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 28, 2016
Messages
692
Reaction score
789
Age
36
Country
United States
Gray just whooped a Spriggan badly so I cant put him below Erza and Gajeel who were losing to Spriggan. Those 2 both needed help to win while Gray was only placed in a tight spot because he was distracted by Brandish and co.

My Spriggan 12 rankings:
1 August
2 Irene
3 Dimaria
4 Larcade
5 Invel
6 Jacob
7 God Serena
8 Brandish
9 Wahl
10 Ajeel
11 Bradman
12 Neinhart

Dimaria - Age Seal is a bitch. Irene and August are above her only because its stated in canon that they are. Tough cookies for everyone else.
Invel - Instant Freeze is a bitch. Not even Natsu could stop from being captured. I think Dimaria can click her teeth before she's frozen. August, Larcade and Irene can stop it Im sure through their raw power. Again, tough cookies for everyone else.
Jacob - Transport is a bitch and he has excellent CQC skills. Happy intercepted him though so I expect Invel can freeze him before he gets it off, Dimaria can click her teeth, etc.
Brandish - Really trying to give her the benefit of the doubt since her magic is hax. If she can change the bodies of mages on her level if they defend, she drops even more.
Bradman - You kicked Gajeel's ass (which is why I cant consider Gajeel as a Spriggan level) but your moves were very small in scale. (Sorry bro, you roar was only Silver level)
 

The President

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 18, 2016
Messages
785
Reaction score
2,437
Age
31
Country
Canada
Sand World is shit, it does no damage.
LMAO its not supposed to do damage, is that really your argument? Its a utility move meant to blind Ajeels enemies while he gets free-will within the SW. It also gives nigh omniscience as he could assimilate into the sand.

Low-tier spell? Natsu burned away at one of Ajeel's strongest sand attacks, what other attacks does Ajeel have that is even considered strong?
Ajeels sand moves all have different utilities. He doesn't have many moves that are meant to do brunt damage. Sand Pit can pretty much OHKO anyone who doesn't have any explosive type attacks or can fly. That includes powerful characters like the GoI and even Spriggan like Jacob.

Again, I still don't know what you're talking about. I don't see anywhere that Bradman has gone full power.

Bradman didn't even use any of the Tartaros' demon spells...so please...
He activated his etherious form. Wahl did not activate his assault mode. The two should be roughly equal in boost, one used it the other did not. Its REALLY not that hard to understand.

Except Wahl does lack defense. He was oneshotted by the element that he was immune to.
Nope. I don't think you understand what being immune to something means. @Axiomus Summed it up extremely well, from what I read in your debate with him you seemed to be borderline denying facts so I don't bother touching on this further.

No it doesn't, Wahl's body negates the effects of lightning, so Laxus was pretty much depending on physical strength.
Yes it does. Your in denial. Wahls body absorbs lightning and converts it into power. Laxuses lightning coat(s) enhance HIS OWN BODY, they do not damage someone elses. Lightning coat is proof of this. The fact that Laxus CONTINUES coating his punches in lightning even after he is told lightning is useless against Wahl is also PROOF of that.
 

Talenel

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 28, 2016
Messages
692
Reaction score
789
Age
36
Country
United States
It doesn't make my point any less valid. Laxus, Erza and all the others who took down Spriggans did not start with a big advantage like Gray did,
Erza and Gajeel did. Erza fought Ajeel while he was on a flying ship rendering him unable to use his big AOE moves while Gajeel was immune to Bradman's death particles. Gray's resistance to ice let him escape insant freeze but his DeS advantage never came into play and was only mentioned when it was moot anyway.
All 3 had an advantage but only Gray actually won without assistance (and it was a beatdown)
 

XXEliteXXAceXX

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 1, 2015
Messages
2,099
Reaction score
3,100
Gender
Male
Country
United States
The difference is that gray has counter to their ice magic while people like erza and natsu doesn't necessarily have counter to their opponents magic .
Yeah, they do have a counter. Natsu can eat his opponent's flames and gain power. Erza might not have a direct counter but she has PoF on her side.

I hate to admits but gray fighting ice mages over and over again really is unfair , becoz he's being compared to his others peer while his fight are mostly a fight against someone that he had counter to .

Again , it's just like Exam or IQ test . You will never knew your limit if you don't took the exam or IQ test .
Same goes to gray fight .
I disagree. A fight is fair as long as there were no unexplained feats or Nakama Power involved. Gray having a counter to ice mages is like how God Slayers have a counter to Dragon Slayers of the same element. Let's stop using these excuses to justify that Everyone Else > Gray.
 

Hermit

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Apr 9, 2016
Messages
6,560
Reaction score
24,727
Age
31
Country
Mozambique
How are people seriously ranking Gray below Erza even after recent events? It's pretty obvious by now Gray has already surpassed her, Natsu as well...
Honestly if Gray and Erza were to fight I don't even think Gray would need the Black Markings for her.
Current Guild rankings:
1.Gildarts
2.Laxus
3.Natsu/Gray/Gajeel
4.Erza/Mira
5.The rest
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
The difference is that gray has counter to their ice magic while people like erza and natsu doesn't necessarily have counter to their opponents magic .
Erza had the elemental advantage against Azir and still lost, that's way better than Gray's resistance to Ice in the fight against Invel since Gray's ice advantage wasn't enough to carry him through the whole battle while Erza dominated Ajeel for a good while with Sea Empress and Wind God Armor
 

Synn

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Nov 8, 2015
Messages
306
Reaction score
633
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
That was Ice Slave. I still don't know where people on this forum are getting these information from...
I don't see how that is relevant; both spells have the same effect: they suppress the target's will. If Gray was alone, Invel could simply subdue him with Ice Slave.

If fighting ice mages is why you called Gray's fights repetitive, what about Erza? She fought many sword users like Ikaruga, Erza Knightwalker, Kagura, and more. How about Natsu? He fought many mages who utilized fire/explosions like Totomaru, Zancrow, Jackal, Tempesta, etc.
Yes, but 99% of Gray's fights involve Ice. I mean, the only opponent he ever faced that didn't involve ice (as far as I can recall) was Mard Geer. If we are talking about Natsu and Erza specifically, they have far more fights on their counter than Gray, and more diverse opponents, too. So yes, Gray fights are indeed repetitive.

No, Gray had little impact on this fight. I think it was made pretty clear that Lyon was the main contestant here.
Is that why both Gray and Lyon were having their ass whooped by their former master, for a short period of time? You're probably going to say that Gray was warming up lol

Erza and the others may have fought Spriggans that they didn't have an advantage in, but how about the past? Erza fought people like Midnight who she was an exact counter to. Laxus fought people like Wahl who was vulnerable to electricity. I can name many more. The bias is just unbelievable...
Erza used logic to defeat Midnight, not because she had some natural resistance to him. She simply used an armor that would make her invulnerable to his magic. Wahl was vulnerable to lightning? He admitted that lightning didn't work on him... And you are calling me biased. :/
 

sharkai

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 3, 2016
Messages
2,061
Reaction score
1,112
Age
36
Country
United States
How are people seriously ranking Gray below Erza even after recent events? It's pretty obvious by now Gray has already surpassed her, Natsu as well...
Honestly if Gray and Erza were to fight I don't even think Gray would need the Black Markings for her.
Current Guild rankings:
1.Gildarts
2.Laxus
3.Natsu/Gray/Gajeel
4.Erza/Mira
5.The rest
Because pof.
Invel was fighting with one hand behind is back. And saying stuffs like now you got my attention.
Pof gray is indeed stronger than erza
Though I have no idea how much more powerful is zeroth pounches is compared to nakagami
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Erza and Gajeel did. Erza fought Ajeel while he was on a flying ship rendering him unable to use his big AOE moves while Gajeel was immune to Bradman's death particles. Gray's resistance to ice let him escape insant freeze but his DeS advantage never came into play and was only mentioned when it was moot anyway.
All 3 had an advantage but only Gray actually won without assistance (and it was a beatdown)
Which aoe move.
He used sand world which is the biggest one.
There is no reason why he couldn't use sand of death in it. It was pretty causaul spell . Sand pit won't work on erza because she can fly
--- Double Post Merged, ---
Erza had the elemental advantage against Azir and still lost, that's way better than Gray's resistance to Ice in the fight against Invel since Gray's ice advantage wasn't enough to carry him through the whole battle while Erza dominated Ajeel for a good while with Sea Empress and Wind God Armor
Erza fight was very complicated
Water wasn't an advantage. It allowed erza to hurt him. Wind sword was advsntage
But ajeel also had a lot of advantages.
And no just like aconologia didn't lose to serena. Erza didn't lose to ajeel
 

Hermit

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Apr 9, 2016
Messages
6,560
Reaction score
24,727
Age
31
Country
Mozambique
Because pof.
Invel was fighting with one hand behind is back. And saying stuffs like now you got my attention.
Pof gray is indeed stronger than erza
Though I have no idea how much more powerful is zeroth pounches is compared to nakagami
Not really, Gray owned Invel in CQC then proceeded to mold his Ice the same way he did against Doriate, it really isn't POF
Isn't Zeroth Curse Power? Nakagami doesn't affect Curse Power
 
Top