Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2015-2016] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

jagman1x3

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Sep 19, 2012
Messages
2,616
Reaction score
2,843
Gender
Male
Country
United States
From the first 3 chapters I read I thought it was pretty similar to Tokyo Ghoul. Has t broke away from that mold?

I kind of want to read it cause I felt the same way. Decent enough to keep reading, but nothing amazing. But no one is translating
I stopped reading Tokyo Ghoul a little bit before the first series ended and :re started so I already forgot most of it, but the MC is actually doing stuff instead of whining about how unfair everything is so that's a plus. There was a small timeskip so it could just go straight to him being useful, which means we don't have to see the training or angst arcs.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
Viz will most definitely pick up Demon's Plans since Love Rush is ending
 

Newkerzy

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 22, 2008
Messages
7,562
Reaction score
5,412
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
Is happiness worth making a deal with the devil? At least that got me slightly interested. Being a battle shonen fanatic myself I just want a good hit series to read going right along with MHA. I want Black Clover to be it but damn Tabata is trying his best on one upping Fairy Tail for bad writing
I think you're overblowing it about FT. What you're complaining about would be the fights that have been going on recently. None of the fights so far have been well-written. And it's obvious Mashima's gotten lazier about it, especially if you compare it to previous arcs. (The only good one was Lucy outsmarting Jacob)

But if you were to see the plot as one big picture, it's actually very neatly written. Hell, it's right up there with FMA as far as overarching plots go. But the terribly-written fights have put a stain on the whole series.
 

CuriousReborn

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 15, 2013
Messages
638
Reaction score
990
Gender
Male
Country
Bahrain
I think you're overblowing it about FT. What you're complaining about would be the fights that have been going on recently. None of the fights so far have been well-written. And it's obvious Mashima's gotten lazier about it, especially if you compare it to previous arcs. (The only good one was Lucy outsmarting Jacob)

But if you were to see the plot as one big picture, it's actually very neatly written. Hell, it's right up there with FMA as far as overarching plots go. But the terribly-written fights have put a stain on the whole series.
Have to agree on this one, well sorta. Each arc started with a generally interesting story that made me excited. Well thats how I used to feel back in Tenrou Island Arc, but after a while you realize the formula of Interesting beginning > Bad guy beats good guy > Heroes win cause nakama > Unsatisfied ending cause it felt lazy and rushed.

That is pretty much how I feel about FT, its still better than "Oh shit Im gonna die" "Im not giving up" bullshit. Nothing that BC offered so far has grabbed my attention and based on how Tabata is writing it will probably never do so.
 

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
Honestly, at this point, I want Black Clover's upcoming anime to flop hard in terms of boosting manga sales. That way, the manga can get cancelled, and it could free up some space for a newer, better manga. It's not like we will be losing anything of importance with it being axed.
 

xAsum0x

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
1,763
Reaction score
1,582
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Lol I don't root for it to fail I just want it to be better. Success is really hard to accomplish in the magazine.
 

Bigivelfhq

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 22, 2013
Messages
846
Reaction score
501
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
In the bigger picture I would say that Fairy Tail is right now worse than Black Clover! Black Clover has a lack of "what comes next", that is true. But the way Fairy Tail treated his "next", is pretty badly. And nope I'm not talking of fights.

In fact Fairy Tail problem is not just fights, if that was the case I would be very happy. Fairy Tail has a ton of problems, and fights is just a minor one at that.

About One Piece beginning quality. There is a good reason why it got a FULL COLOR CHAPTER by its 12th one.
When you limit your perception of a series just by hype and fights, you also limit the worth of the series. But still I don't see how the fights prior to Arlong Park weren't cool and good. At that time we were discovering Luffy devil Fruit ability and his creativity, Zoro excentric Sword style, Ussop strange and kiddly projectile profeciency, Sanji extravagant leg techniques.

Remember the first Gomu Gomu Pistol? In the 1st chapter against the Sea Monster. The first Bullet Ricochet? Against Morgan and the Base Marines to save Zoro and Coby. The First Muchi? Right after Zoro stopped the marines. The First Fuusen? Against Buggy Dama. The first Hammer? Against Richi the lion. The first Bazooka? Sending away Buggy.
All of those attacks and many more, and also from other characters were shown in impactful moments and presented in a really cool manner.

Though One Piece shined in the Thematic, Motivational, Adventure, Comedy and Drama aspects. When you have an arc with a Clown Pirate, with the major thematic being the value of things, of treasure, you have Hachiko, you have a unexpected deep connection between characters, and all of that is greatly oven into one single thing, than I don't know about you, but for me that is a 5 star arc.
Note also the fact that the series had really great story and its direction, great paneling and flow, with great and impactful characters designs(while being wacky), and great world design. that in the beginning was the weakest aspect of One Piece, and it improved so greatly that right now is in such an incomparable level) were big aspects for the series success.

Things didn't only started happening in Arlong because, but not only Luffy, Chuchu, Sanji and Zoro backstories, Krieg and Mihawk and Kuro and Buggy.
 

DihDiogo

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Aug 29, 2013
Messages
66
Reaction score
47
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
LOL I don't know why so much hate about Black Clover. hahahaha
I think it's a "ok" series and that's enough for me.
I don't think all series I read have to be a masterpiece, anyway. Sometimes just wanna fun.
 

Scruffy8642

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2016
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,057
Age
29
Country
Australia
On the topic and Fairy Tail and Black Clover.
I think FT had a considerably better beginning than Black Clover. The story was interesting with good twists and a fair amount of foreshadowing surprisingly. The fights were cringe as always, but the story was presented well, at least until the end of the Tenrou island arc. You could tell Mashima had planned the story out a for a while before beginning serialisation. However, Once all the surprises were out and everything was revealed, all the series had going for it was fanservice and more cringe fights. Its obvious he ran out of ideas a while ago.

Black Clover on the other hand hasnt had any of that. Sure its still early, but nothing interesting has happened story-wise yet, and its just been cringy fights which imo have been resolved in much worse ways than many FT ones. At chapter 87, FT was in the Etherious Castle arc and a fair few interesting things had already happened/were happenening. Black Clover feels like Fairy Tail, but with the story executed freaking terribly. People compare it to Naruto, but aside from the obvious similarities in Yuno/Sasuke and the fact both MCs are losers who want to be the best (and neither of which have played any role so far aside like 5 chapters), its not similar at all. I feel its the worst of Fairy Tail, but in a better developed world I admit.

Saying all this, its my opinon obviously. I dont dislike BC, like I dont dislike FT. But both series have an endless list of problems which cause massive frustration for readers that wouldnt be difficult to improve on. Its not hard to make Aster actually win a fight with strategy for once and not have everyone talk him up as if hes a god...
 

xAsum0x

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
1,763
Reaction score
1,582
Gender
Male
Country
United States
People compare it to Naruto, but aside from the obvious similarities in Yuno/Sasuke and the fact both MCs are losers who want to be the best (and neither of which have played any role so far aside like 5 chapters), its not similar at all
Its not the only one.That Diamond Guy's backstory is a complete rip off of Zabuzas
Even the very first page is a ripoff of the first to page of Naruto
 
Last edited:

Varus

Banned
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 26, 2016
Messages
129
Reaction score
57
Country
England
Its not hard to make Aster actually win a fight with strategy for once and not have everyone talk him up as if hes a god...
He has won multiple fights with strategies(not necessarily his), nothing that impressive but if you are looking for some mind blowing shit don't read Clover.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
I dropped Clover and I actually think that most of the shit it gets here is insanely over exaggerated. It is not that hard if you don't find a manga interesting or enjoyable you should drop it. Especially if you will write an essay a week about how shit and uninspired it is like you discovered an oil field or something. Everyone here knows whats wrong with Black Clover it has been stated 200 times before we don't need to state it 200 times more... let us aim for 80 at least.
 
Last edited:

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,938
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I dropped Clover and I actually think that most of the shit it gets here is insanely over exaggerated, it is not that hard if you don't find a manga interesting or enjoyable you should drop it. Especially if you will write an essay a week about how shit and uninspired it is like you discovered an oil field or something. Everyone here knows whats wrong with Black Clover it has been stated 200 times before we don't need to state it 200 times more... let us aim for 80 at least.
As a fan it deserves the constant recognition people dont like it do, its like free advertising and proves that there is something irresistible about BLack Clover. Notice how One Piece is never hardly ever discussed.
 

Nakura

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
1,564
Reaction score
2,181
Age
30
Country
Ireland
Yeah, I'd rather not keep talking about Black Clover. The hate is so excessive that even people who have never read it know everything wrong with it. I enjoy it enough, although I'm constantly on the verge of dropping it.
 

ShenGao

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Feb 13, 2015
Messages
4,503
Reaction score
6,604
Country
Germany
Black Clover didn't have a "Because she is Erza" moment yet which would make me drop it. The thing with Aster's arms was pretty bad, but still not as bad as Erza.
 

G_I_A

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
401
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
oh but I'm seeing the "Black Clover anime will fail" hupla exactly like american presidency. I will love this.

It doesn't matter if you don't like it. It gained a lot of first positions on TOC even not selling that good. Just accept that manga you don't like can be well accepted by (the majority of) other people.
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
oh but I'm seeing the "Black Clover anime will fail" hupla exactly like american presidency. I will love this.

It doesn't matter if you don't like it. It gained a lot of first positions on TOC even not selling that good. Just accept that manga you don't like can be well accepted by (the majority of) other people.
Hate trains don't mean much in the long run. I think Toriko had one when people thought it was going to replace Bleach/DBZ and the amount of promotions it got.
 

G_I_A

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
401
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Hate trains don't mean much in the long run. I think Toriko had one when people thought it was going to replace Bleach/DBZ and the amount of promotions it got.
The problem is exactly this word. "Replace". There's no such thing in manga. (Maybe in what we call jump pilars). Every manga has its flaws and unique appeal. Even though Toriko couldn't embrace a vast majority of readers It still sold more than 20 million copies making it one of the most sold manga of all time.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top