Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2015-2016] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,106
Reaction score
5,852
Age
33
Country
United States
The part where the 3 guys get scared of the kid because "oh shit he has calm and cold eyes", stuff like that is just really cringy for me
Yeah, it's kind of tryhard nonsense. Like the design of the new enemy on the last page, it's just trying hard to be an edgy manga at times and thus feels forced. The tone is inconsistent and there isn't a single tone he executes all that well.
 

xAsum0x

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
1,763
Reaction score
1,582
Gender
Male
Country
United States
The part where the 3 guys get scared of the kid because "oh shit he has calm and cold eyes", stuff like that is just really cringy for me
I disagree but I guess that particular things just a personal issues. I'll just say this and be done cause I can't argue against personal opinions

Pacing felt fine, when he begged the chick to accept his request she gave him a real world awnser instead of just doing the generic thing and accepting, you can see the demon powers or whatever affecting his personality (wonder if it'll take a dark turn) and the plot moves forward with the last page. Generic? Sure, shit we got was solid though. Lots of potential, then again cliches don't bother me
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
I think that it's people pretending to be smarter than they actually are.
I think Demon's Plan definitely has some flaws, but the people who are grossly overrating the flaws of the series are people who likely loved Red Sprite and had no idea it was flawed. After Red Sprite was cancelled they were blindsided because they didn't see anything wrong with it, and now feel dumb. Therefore they now are master critics and Demon's Plan is terrible because if the series gets cancelled like most Jump series they will be able to say they were right the whole time.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Hopefully, /r/JumpMag picks up steam so nobody has to go to /r/manga anymore for Jump (mis)information and pos(t)ers.
I feel like people immediately latched on to Red Sprite because Bleach had just ended and Red Sprite was being dubbed as the "Bleach Replacement".
If it came out any other time I don't think it would have been as loved
 

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
I'm all for generic stuff if it is executed fine. BnHA is a fine shining example.
The first chapter of Demon's plan showed a lot of potential. But from the 2nd chapter onwards, the mangaka seemed incredibly confused with how this manga should be. I initially mentioned here that one of the things I liked about the first chapter was that it didn't try to be "cool" or "edgy" like Red Sprite tried to be. I can't say that about the other 2 chapters now.
 

xAsum0x

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
1,763
Reaction score
1,582
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I'm all for generic stuff if it is executed fine. BnHA is a fine shining example.
The first chapter of Demon's plan showed a lot of potential. But from the 2nd chapter onwards, the mangaka seemed incredibly confused with how this manga should be. I initially mentioned here that one of the things I liked about the first chapter was that it didn't try to be "cool" or "edgy" like Red Sprite tried to be. I can't say that about the other 2 chapters now.
Elaborate, because I dont understand what your saying in relation to the next 2 chaps. You say he seems confused on what the manga should be when he obviously made it clear in chapter 2?
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
To be clear, I do think Demon's Plan is flawed, I'm annoyed by people exaggerating the flaws & the hypocrisy when they ignore them when they happen in the manga they like
 

xAsum0x

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
1,763
Reaction score
1,582
Gender
Male
Country
United States
People choose whether or not to see the good in something and highlight it. Same for the bad. Everyone does it whether they admit to it or not.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,071
Reaction score
6,930
Gender
Male
Country
United States
To be clear, I do think Demon's Plan is flawed, I'm annoyed by people exaggerating the flaws & the hypocrisy when they ignore them when they happen in the manga they like
Will Demon's Plan go through the same sort of discussion like BLack Clover, when it becomes popular people will target it immensely for being different than their favorite manga?
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
It's funny how in Demon's Plan, the villain designs are "tryhard" but in MHA they're praised, even though they're arguably even more tryhard.
 

xAsum0x

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
1,763
Reaction score
1,582
Gender
Male
Country
United States
what is this definition of tryhard? A villian design is just a design
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
what is this definition of tryhard? A villian design is just a design
Basically, a design that targets edginess and/or overtly evil look.
 

Nakura

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
1,564
Reaction score
2,181
Age
30
Country
Ireland
I'm not impressed by Demon's Plan. I don't think it's bad, but it's not holding my interest at all. I don't think Black Clover is very good, but at least it has it's quirks that make it somewhat engaging(with the exception of the current arc). Demon's Plan is just bland... which is the worst thing you can be in my eyes.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
It's funny how in Demon's Plan, the villain designs are "tryhard" but in MHA they're praised, even though they're arguably even more tryhard.
Woah there. Demon's Plan designs are no where near the level of Horikoshi
 

xAsum0x

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
1,763
Reaction score
1,582
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Basically, a design that targets edginess and/or overtly evil look.
but a villian design is supposed to embody just that.
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
It is easy to understand why someone would not like Clover its flaws are infinite but some people extremely over exaggerate those flaws.
This site is kind of an echo chamber when it comes to Black Clover hate. I have about 15-20 people I talk to regularly on IM (who don't post here) who all follow BC. We all enjoy the series and laugh at all the hate it gets around the internet. It's not a perfect series by any means, but there are things the series does extremely well that don't get talked about all that much. For instance, the pacing is extremely good. It's also set up in a way that benefits greatly from a weekly format. The art is good most of the time, etc.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Woah there. Demon's Plan designs are no where near the level of Horikoshi
I don't think you're understanding my point.
--- Double Post Merged, ---
but a villian design is supposed to embody just that.
They're saying Demon's Plan goes overboard with that mindset.
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
It is easy to understand why someone would not like Clover its flaws are infinite but some people extremely over exaggerate those flaws.
people trying to fit something into a box it doesn't belong to is always annoying

I'm not impressed by Demon's Plan. I don't think it's bad, but it's not holding my interest at all. I don't think Black Clover is very good, but at least it has it's quirks that make it somewhat engaging(with the exception of the current arc). Demon's Plan is just bland... which is the worst thing you can be in my eyes.
I don't think the mangaka was thing to do anything special to be honest, like I said in my original post he seems to be playing it safe for now
introducing the set up, followed by introducing the tournament aspect & this chapter introducing what I assume will be the female lead

I don't see where all the people getting "MAH GAWD HE'S TRYING TO HIT ALL SHONEN TROPES!" or "MAH GAWD SO EDGY!"
 

Xzone

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 2, 2014
Messages
888
Reaction score
698
Gender
Male
Country
Isle of Man
It's funny how in Demon's Plan, the villain designs are "tryhard" but in MHA they're praised, even though they're arguably even more tryhard.
You know that that's the intention of BnH villain , no? Over the edge to contrast the hero...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top