Discussion The Official Relationship/Pairing/Shipping Thread

Why do you like your OTP?


  • Total voters
    61

Jko

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 28, 2016
Messages
7,448
Reaction score
18,767
Country
United States
I'll admit that I hated Gajevy at first but the ship slowly grew on me and it's my second favorite in the series. Then it's Gruvia... and then all the other lesser ships... then Jerza (sorry don't kill me)

I do like how both Gajeel and Levy grew off each other but also didn't always revolve around each other, at least not to the extent of Gruvia (I by no means dislike the ship, I think it's fine) but I still wish Juvia wouldn't obsess over Gray at least when she's with other people.
I really hated that one at first butime I like it now. This arc really turned it for me. Gruvia just became bad in my mouth after Juvia just easily forgave Gray when he left for six months. If Juvia was like before the skip then I'd like itbut now it just become meh imo.
 

GamerSkull

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 2, 2016
Messages
790
Reaction score
1,854
Age
31
Country
United States
I really hated that one at first butime I like it now. This arc really turned it for me. Gruvia just became bad in my mouth after Juvia just easily forgave Gray when he left for six months. If Juvia was like before the skip then I'd but now it just become meh imo.
My problem is not her devotion to Gray itself but rather the fact that she seems distant to the other characters like when she is in the presence of other characters and Gray is absent, 90% of the time the only dialogue out of her is "Why am I not with my dear Gray?" I just wish she was more like she acted during the Battle of Fairy Tail arc, do you remember when she eloctrocuted herself to keep from hurting Cana? I wanna see more of THAT in Juvia, for people besides Gray.
 

Jko

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 28, 2016
Messages
7,448
Reaction score
18,767
Country
United States
My problem is not her devotion to Gray itself but rather the fact that she seems distant to the other characters like when she is in the presence of other characters and Gray is absent, 90% of the time the only dialogue out of her is "Why am I not with my dear Gray?" I just wish she was more like she acted during the Battle of Fairy Tail arc, do you remember when she eloctrocuted herself to keep from hurting Cana? I wanna see more of THAT in Juvia, for people besides Gray.
Exactly. I did not like how she just stood in the rain waiting for Gray to comeback like that was just overkill. I wish she more productive in her own life w/o Gray.
 

Raven

Registored User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 8, 2016
Messages
3,107
Reaction score
12,870
Age
32
Gender
Female
Country
Joker
I'll admit that I hated Gajevy at first but the ship slowly grew on me and it's my second favorite in the series. Then it's Gruvia... and then all the other lesser ships... then Jerza (sorry don't kill me)

I do like how both Gajeel and Levy grew off each other but also didn't always revolve around each other, at least not to the extent of Gruvia (I by no means dislike the ship, I think it's fine) but I still wish Juvia wouldn't obsess over Gray at least when she's with other people.
I hated Jerza for no reason at first too but i realized that they are very good pairing i actually liked Jellal's perspective, He thought he don't deserve someone like Erza because of harm he caused that is some good stuff.

I see no problem to love someone so much, It is a real thing btw many ppl in real life are very similar to Juvia and acting like her, The ships in fairytail present many IRL relationships.
 

GamerSkull

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 2, 2016
Messages
790
Reaction score
1,854
Age
31
Country
United States
Exactly. I did not like how she just stood in the rain waiting for Gray to comeback like that was just overkill. I wish she more productive in her own life w/of Gray.
While the significant others seem to depend on each other for the other ships, there is still the sense that they can be independent if left alone. I mean Lucy kind of moved on and got a job as a reporter, she was sad but she at least started moving forward. Juvia didn't do that. She just sat in a rainy house, sulking. Her love for Gray is awesome but she shouldn't let that inhibit herself in such a way... it makes me like her less.

Perhaps if she left the place and went looking for Gray, then that's something but she just sat there. (Now I know this may not work with the circumstances that were later revealed but since Juvia wasn't aware of that, it could still work and I'd respect her a bit more for it.)
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
I hated Jerza for no reason at first too but i realized that they are very good pairing i actually liked Jellal's perspective, He thought he don't deserve someone like Erza because of harm he caused.

I see no problem to love someone so much, It is a real thing btw many ppl in real life are very similar to Juvia, The ships in fairytail present many IRL relationships.
That's fair but it seems a little toxic to me, to solely depend on someone so much that you are unable to function without them. Grieving is another thing entirely.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: Jko

Wanderer

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 29, 2016
Messages
150
Reaction score
938
Country
United Kingdom
Juvia waiting in the rain for so long still irks me to this day.

Why didn't she go to Lamia Scale and ask Lyon for help? She read Lucy's articles so why not go to Lucy?

Yeah, sure, she had to wait in case Gray came back and she DID say she searched for him...but it's just bad writing. Mashima used her character as a plot device which sucks and ruined parts of her character for a lot of people. Hell, I'm a fan of her and even I'm saying she was shown really badly in that arc :neutral

But she had to stay in the village and it had to be raining so that Natsu and Lucy could find her and she could give them clues as to where Gray was. Literally a plot device and a terrible one at that.

She couldn't even go with them. SHE GOT A FEVER...FROM THE RAIN...AFTER LIVING IN THE RAIN ALL HER LIFE :-_-:-_-:-_- And then Wendy could heal Erza being poisoned but couldn't heal Juvia's fever in time for her to go with them...I just...:epicfacepalm It was all just so badly written.

And then she appears in the middle of the battlefield and the whole thing is just washed over.

I like to think that Gray gave her a proper explanation and they had a long talk once they went back to their house to pack (since he said he'd give her an explanation later) but still, if that even happened, it's offscreen and yeah...totally ruined Avatar for me. I will forever be salty about this :XD
 
Last edited:

GamerSkull

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 2, 2016
Messages
790
Reaction score
1,854
Age
31
Country
United States
Juvia waiting in the rain for so long still irks me to this day.

Why didn't she go to Lamia Scale and ask Lyon for help? She read Lucy's articles so why not go to Lucy?

Yeah, sure, she had to wait in case Gray came back and she DID say she searched for him but it's just bad writing. Mashima used her character as a plot device which sucks and ruined parts of her character for a lot of people. Hell, I'm a fan of her and even I'm saying she was shown really badly in that arc :neutral

But she had to stay in the village and it had to be raining so that Natsu and Lucy could find her and she could give them clues as to where Gray was. Literally a plot device and a terrible one at that.

She couldn't even go with them. SHE GOT A FEVER...FROM THE RAIN...AFTER LIVING IN THE RAIN ALL HER LIFE :-_-:-_-:-_- And then Wendy could heal Erza being poisoned but couldn't heal Juvia's fever in time for her to go with them...I just...:epicfacepalm It was all just so badly written.

And then she appears in the middle of the battlefield and the whole thing is just washed over.

I like to think that Gray gave her a proper explanation and they had a long talk once they went back to their house to pack (since he said he'd give her an explanation later) but still, if that even happened, it's offscreen and yeah...totally ruined Avatar for me. I am still salty to this day :XD
Yeah, I just don't like how dependent she is and how she seems unable to do anything without Gray. I will say though that if Natsu didn't find Juvia, it's still pretty likely he would have gone to Sabertooth and figured out where Gray was since he knew of what had happened in the future. His arrival at Sabertooth would be slightly different and the timing would be different but he'd make it there.
 

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
48,828
Reaction score
17,292
Gender
Male
Country
Akatsuki
Tbh the only one developing in the Gruvia ship is Gray. Juvia's character as regressed post Tenrou to the point that Gray is her sole purpose in life. They're developing moments are just centered around Gray coming to terms that he likes her. Juvia's been the same since day one on the romantic part.

If you're talking about solely romantic development then obviously Gajevy is the most developed since both parties actually grew from each other.
how is that regressing? More like, stagnant in your view. She did regress though, because at least in the first few arcs she was her own person (as far as I recall anyway). But the past few arcs, she's been too Gray oriented, and it's annoying. I mean, it's like Mashima didn't care about developing Juvia along with Gray, which would have made the relationship even better. Though Natsu-Lucy making each other better thing is false, neither of them hurt each other at all, whereas Juvia was hurt when Gray left.


Not particularly directed at anyone

Natsu and Lucy may be canon one day, but at least they can say they both have character development. At the least, neither regressed. Gray and Juvia have relationship development as well, but Gray is the only one who had character development while Juvia regressed. Jellal and Erza had relationship development which became stagnant, but both had some character development, Erza more so. Maybe the best development overall/in everything would be Gajeel and Levy, as Jko said.
 

thatsvicchan

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2016
Messages
213
Reaction score
1,168
Age
28
Country
Italy
Juvia waiting in the rain for so long still irks me to this day.

Why didn't she go to Lamia Scale and ask Lyon for help? She read Lucy's articles so why not go to Lucy?

Yeah, sure, she had to wait in case Gray came back and she DID say she searched for him...but it's just bad writing. Mashima used her character as a plot device which sucks and ruined parts of her character for a lot of people. Hell, I'm a fan of her and even I'm saying she was shown really badly in that arc :neutral

But she had to stay in the village and it had to be raining so that Natsu and Lucy could find her and she could give them clues as to where Gray was. Literally a plot device and a terrible one at that.

She couldn't even go with them. SHE GOT A FEVER...FROM THE RAIN...AFTER LIVING IN THE RAIN ALL HER LIFE :-_-:-_-:-_- And then Wendy could heal Erza being poisoned but couldn't heal Juvia's fever in time for her to go with them...I just...:epicfacepalm It was all just so badly written.

And then she appears in the middle of the battlefield and the whole thing is just washed over.

I like to think that Gray gave her a proper explanation and they had a long talk once they went back to their house to pack (since he said he'd give her an explanation later) but still, if that even happened, it's offscreen and yeah...totally ruined Avatar for me. I will forever be salty about this :XD
We will always be salty over Avatar :-_-
This arc could have gone in so maaany ways, not only regarding Gruvia. I didn't like its plot and I still forget it nowadays lmao as a plus, if I consider what happened to Juvia and Gruvia during this time I just....

She did look for him but then stopped. But, logically, a girl who supposedly stays under the rain for 6 months without doing anything beside that would die of starvation and so many other things. She just got a meaningless fever, lol. We could justify this with her water powers but then again... we are talking about Juvia, a girl who spent 17 years of her life surrounded by the rain yet she got sick because of it. MASHIMA WHY

People who still are convinced Juvia is a stalker could have changed their mind after this, her stalkerish power failed1!11111

:facepalm:facepalm:facepalm:facepalm:facepalm:facepalm:facepalm:facepalm

What's worse than this... steam being her most effective weakness. STEAM! Boiling water produces steam... dear lord

:facepalm:facepalm:facepalm:facepalm:facepalm:facepalm:facepalm:facepalm

Mashima has just dropped the ball with Juvia.

Juvia in the Tower of Heaven and FT Battle was amazing:
- nakama speeches for the guild and its members
- leardership, kinda. She helped Team Natsu entering the tower easily with her amazing water oxygen bubbles and all. Simon even recognized her status as an Element 4 s-class mage after her clever statement about his powers.
- her love for Gray was still there but her character didn't revolve around him.
- bits of her long lasting friendship with Gajeel that is now nowhere to be seen (I love Gajuvia, ffs)

I love her, she's my favourite character and all these flaws sudden me a lot. So much wasted potential.... water magic is dope (just watch Avatar, and damn!) :-_-

Water benders on Avatar can manipulate blood so Juvia with water-blood magic had been my headcanon for a while. I was so happy to finally see something new from her but sadly I don't even think she'll use it again. Water make... make! She creates blood out of water and then does trasfusions! So so so so refreshing.

Mashima likes to portrait Juvia as the typical japanese girl, that's it.

Juvia in Avatar is just a plot device, nothing less nothing more. And currently she's Gray's rock and development

Gruvia is my OTP but yeah, as many said the one who is developing is Gray, although thanks to Tenrou we got to know hers wasn't just a random crush but true love...

Water and ice are basically the same thing, I wish those 6 months of training together would have been explored more... their teamwork is amazing. So many unison raids and and and and... can I cry :gwah
 

Otaku shrink

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2015
Messages
273
Reaction score
526
Gender
Female
Country
Japan
We will always be salty over Avatar :-_-
This arc could have gone in so maaany ways, not only regarding Gruvia. I didn't like its plot and I still forget it nowadays lmao as a plus, if I consider what happened to Juvia and Gruvia during this time I just....

She did look for him but then stopped. But, logically, a girl who supposedly stays under the rain for 6 months without doing anything beside that would die of starvation and so many other things. She just got a meaningless fever, lol. We could justify this with her water powers but then again... we are talking about Juvia, a girl who spent 17 years of her life surrounded by the rain yet she got sick because of it. MASHIMA WHY

People who still are convinced Juvia is a stalker could have changed their mind after this, her stalkerish power failed1!11111

:facepalm:facepalm:facepalm:facepalm:facepalm:facepalm:facepalm:facepalm

What's worse than this... steam being her most effective weakness. STEAM! Boiling water produces steam... dear lord

:facepalm:facepalm:facepalm:facepalm:facepalm:facepalm:facepalm:facepalm

Mashima has just dropped the ball with Juvia.

Juvia in the Tower of Heaven and FT Battle was amazing:
- nakama speeches for the guild and its members
- leardership, kinda. She helped Team Natsu entering the tower easily with her amazing water oxygen bubbles and all. Simon even recognized her status as an Element 4 s-class mage after her clever statement about his powers.
- her love for Gray was still there but her character didn't revolve around him.
- bits of her long lasting friendship with Gajeel that is now nowhere to be seen (I love Gajuvia, ffs)

I love her, she's my favourite character and all these flaws sudden me a lot. So much wasted potential.... water magic is dope (just watch Avatar, and damn!) :-_-

Water benders on Avatar can manipulate blood so Juvia with water-blood magic had been my headcanon for a while. I was so happy to finally see something new from her but sadly I don't even think she'll use it again. Water make... make! She creates blood out of water and then does trasfusions! So so so so refreshing.

Mashima likes to portrait Juvia as the typical japanese girl, that's it.

Juvia in Avatar is just a plot device, nothing less nothing more. And currently she's Gray's rock and development

Gruvia is my OTP but yeah, as many said the one who is developing is Gray, although thanks to Tenrou we got to know hers wasn't just a random crush but true love...

Water and ice are basically the same thing, I wish those 6 months of training together would have been explored more... their teamwork is amazing. So many unison raids and and and and... can I cry :gwah

I didn't particularly care for the execution of Avatar myself. If I had to guess, Juvia's illness was supposedly moreso the physical sickeness from worry and the fact that the former rain woman was no longer "immune" to a depressing, solitary lifestyle. It came out sloppy though.

I do wish we also got a bit more from those six months, but I am guessing it's supposed to be that time period where they kinda "grew" together? I've always wondered about that.

Now for general comments:

As for Juvia's development individually, I've long speculated that her eventual purpose was to be "Gray's future". As a side character, I guess she can only be explored so much. Mashima even stated at a con several years ago that she was there for the love piece instead of a constant stream of villains. So, couple that with the Japanese "ideal waifu" as well as the exaggerated humor bit, and we end up interpreting differently in the Western audience. (Heck, look at how different the dubbers portray it sometime).

I suppose Mashima chose to highlight her gaining FT's trust, then moved on to her intended purpose. Nevertheless, I still think she has she grown, but it's not as dramatically because Gray had the growing to do.

Still, I think people give way too much credence to the love-love schtick and ignore the woman who killed Keith and was willing to actually walk away from Gray in 416. That is still development, and quite powerful, even if it is in the Gray-related sense, as it is the driving point in her part of the main plot as a side character. Her "growth" may not be these kick butt feats, but it's more of a subtle maturation.
 

Dorsher

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Oct 24, 2016
Messages
62
Reaction score
252
Country
Fairy Tail
MY SHIP RANKING:

1. Gajevy
2. Nalu (OTP of OTPs)
3. Jerza
4. Zervis

etc...

:hip:celebrate:hearts:hearts:hearts:hearts:hearts
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Ship developments are based on their dynamics.

Jerza Development is different from Gajevy and Nalu.
Stop acting like bla bla is more developed. :hibecause all of them are developed based on
1. their background
2. Their personalities
3. The dynamic of their relationship

they're on the same phase but on different levels because not EVERY SHIP HAS THE SAME DYNAMICS.:hip

Nalu is rooted in friendship and trust..that is the foundation of their relationship and is BLOOMING.
Jerza is on love and trust and understanding. Quite the mature ship among FT.
 

Council (^^)/

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Sep 7, 2016
Messages
179
Reaction score
121
Age
48
Country
Costa Rica
As I see it, Natsu only sees Lucy as a maternal figure.
XD XD XD nalu XD XD XD
 

Gabo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 8, 2015
Messages
1,111
Reaction score
2,111
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
Mexico
It is fun to see how some one assume that Natsu sees a maternal figure in Lucy when relating to Anna when we still do not know what relationship there is with Anna even, we know that she wore the scarf, but we do not know how Natsu looked ... just as Anna Was the first love of Natsu and that's why he is so attached to Lucy, because he remembers and develops feelings for her.

Development ... boys, in love there is no logic, there are people who fall in love immediately, others who first go through the process of friendship before loving itself as such.

What if it is true is that "Love makes you an idiot" and makes you illogical XD
 

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
48,828
Reaction score
17,292
Gender
Male
Country
Akatsuki
As I see it, Natsu only sees Lucy as a maternal figure.
XD XD XD nalu XD XD XD
do you have proof or evidence of this? As far as I know, Natsu's never seen Lucy as a maternal figure, he's seen her as his close friend; he's actually friendzoned her. I mean, you can say Natsu-Lucy isn't an actual pairing, and that's a fact, but to say he sees her as a maternal figure... like wut
 

Doughboy

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 1, 2016
Messages
4,482
Reaction score
8,341
Country
United States
do you have proof or evidence of this? As far as I know, Natsu's never seen Lucy as a maternal figure, he's seen her as his close friend; he's actually friendzoned her. I mean, you can say Natsu-Lucy isn't an actual pairing, and that's a fact, but to say he sees her as a maternal figure... like wut
Lol fam he's just trolling. He's a fan of Natsu x Erza. That's why nobody said anything to him.
 

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
48,828
Reaction score
17,292
Gender
Male
Country
Akatsuki
I know, but I want to see his evidence as to how he came to that extremely odd and incorrect conclusion, if he meant it.
 

Council (^^)/

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Sep 7, 2016
Messages
179
Reaction score
121
Age
48
Country
Costa Rica
do you have proof or evidence of this? As far as I know, Natsu's never seen Lucy as a maternal figure, he's seen her as his close friend; he's actually friendzoned her. I mean, you can say Natsu-Lucy isn't an actual pairing, and that's a fact, but to say he sees her as a maternal figure... like wut
Lucy is a surrogate for Anna, who was somewhat like her adoptive mother (perhaps), Lucy unconsciously reminds Anna. In addition, Natsu does everything a son does, to get the attention of his mother (more or less): like sleeping in his bed.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
It is fun to see how some one assume that Natsu sees a maternal figure in Lucy when relating to Anna when we still do not know what relationship there is with Anna even, we know that she wore the scarf, but we do not know how Natsu looked ... just as Anna Was the first love of Natsu and that's why he is so attached to Lucy, because he remembers and develops feelings for her.

Development ... boys, in love there is no logic, there are people who fall in love immediately, others who first go through the process of friendship before loving itself as such.

What if it is true is that "Love makes you an idiot" and makes you illogical XD
I think Anna treated Natsu like a son, and Natsu saw her as a mother.
At that time Natsu was about 6 or 7 years old and Anna about twenty years, I do not think Natsu saw her as a romantic choice.
 

GamerSkull

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 2, 2016
Messages
790
Reaction score
1,854
Age
31
Country
United States
Lucy is a surrogate for Anna, who was somewhat like her adoptive mother (perhaps), Lucy unconsciously reminds Anna. In addition, Natsu does everything a son does, to get the attention of his mother (more or less): like sleeping in his bed.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

I think Anna treated Natsu like a son, and Natsu saw her as a mother.
At that time Natsu was about 6 or 7 years old and Anna about twenty years, I do not think Natsu saw her as a romantic choice.
I agree with you on most of this. I'm expecting Anna to be a mother figure for him, but I don't really see him treating Lucy that same way. Anna is like his ancestor-in-law. :teehee

And Mavis is his sister-in-law. :teehee:teehee:teehee
 
Top