Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2015-2016] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,721
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
I'm like 99% sure Haikyuu's author gender isn't publicly announce yet.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
We need another big battle Shonen tbh
 

xAsum0x

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
1,763
Reaction score
1,582
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Doesn't really matter what type of manga it is, just needs to resonate
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Blockbusters cannot be found that easily, readers are quite unpredictable, you cannot say what will make success. Let's take Assassination Classroom as an example, it was not even that special and yet it sold 1 million per volume.
Even us readers cannot know what will happen, we like something and then it flops, we hate something and ends up making success like Black Cover.
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,300
Reaction score
7,339
Age
33
Country
Scotland
Ass Class is a weird choice for an unpredictable success, it's pretty obvious why it done as well as it did even just from ch 1 alone.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Ass Class is a weird choice for an unpredictable success, it's pretty obvious why it done as well as it did even just from ch 1 alone.
Explain it for me then because I think I lost something. XD
We're talking about 1 MILLION per volume.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
Explain it for me then because I think I lost something. XD
We're talking about 1 MILLION per volume.
I didn't read it when it first came out.
But
Interesting premise
Fun and color character designs
Very episodic in the early chapters

While I find it shocking that it became MASSIVE, I don't find it so shocking that it was successful
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I didn't read it when it first came out.
But
Interesting premise
Fun and color character designs
Very episodic in the early chapters

While I find it shocking that it became MASSIVE, I don't find it so shocking that it was successful
Interesting premise and fun and color character designs we can cut out because it is almost pre requisite to even be serialized in the first place.
Be episodic is not something required to be successful although it is good to be careful to not make big arcs at the beginning.

I think it would be a success for 300k at max, but 1 million? We can count in two hands the number of series that had sold that much per volume and they are all legends.
 

G_I_A

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
401
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
That's exactly why I think that JUMP needs veterans authors back. Assclass did all that success (not only obviously...) because of the hype being a "Matsui work".
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
Interesting premise and fun and color character designs we can cut out because it is almost pre requisite to even be serialized in the first place.
Be episodic is not something required to be successful although it is good to be careful to not make big arcs at the beginning.

I think it would be a success for 300k at max, but 1 million? We can count in two hands the number of series that had sold that much per volume and they are all legends.
Eeeh i disagree. I think character design is very important in something becoming a success. Not a jump series, but I think Half the reason Soul Eater was huge was because of the unique art direction and hip character designs.
Jump has a lot of series with cool designs. But not many that are really stand out and memorable. For example, while its a cool design, I don't think Boro from Demon's Plan has a very memorable design.
Kuro Sensei on the other hand has a very unique, simple, and almost mascot like design.
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,300
Reaction score
7,339
Age
33
Country
Scotland
The premise was unique enough to make it stand out while being familiar enough to hit all the right notes with jump readers, it could do character drama, comedy, action, and sol all as natural parts of the story, the MC was very memorable and easy to recognise, it had a bit of an edge to it with the assassination stuff without taking it too far and it showed some pretty solid 'battle of wits' type stuff with the assassination plan which we know jump readers often love.

All in all it had an incredibly well crafted first chapter lets you know exactly what it's about and immediately shows it's actually able to live up to what it's building up by giving the readers a cool moment with a lot of impact.

It's the perfect wsj series really. It tackles multiple genres and does them all quite well, it's very easy to promote, and it has something to appeal to everyone while not being directly comparable to anything else in the magazine so it never had to compete with something bigger or newer that filled the same niche.
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,721
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
Interesting premise and fun and color character designs we can cut out because it is almost pre requisite to even be serialized in the first place.
Be episodic is not something required to be successful although it is good to be careful to not make big arcs at the beginning.

I think it would be a success for 300k at max, but 1 million? We can count in two hands the number of series that had sold that much per volume and they are all legends.
It appeals to both male,female and kids (8-10). It sounds simple, but it is really hard to please both genders and demographic. Not in manga, but in any type of media.
 

KageTrigger

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jun 6, 2014
Messages
287
Reaction score
235
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I love battle manga, and I look forward to that next big thing, that just catches me. Still waiting for one with a MC that reminds me of Yusuke Urameshi, Yusuke is my favorite MC of any manga or anime. So I'd be happy to see a MC with some similarities to him.

Side note, I really miss World Trigger.
 

Nakura

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
1,564
Reaction score
2,181
Age
30
Country
Ireland
What is everyone's favourite ongoing series in WSJ anyway? Mine is My Hero Academia.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Since when you guys became so convincing? Okay, I get it, although I still think 1 million per volume was an exaggeration for Assassination Classroom.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
What is everyone's favourite ongoing series in WSJ anyway? Mine is My Hero Academia.
Shokugeki no Soma, for sure.
Now that Hayama stopped being an asshole I think the series will come back to its previous glory.
 

Kefka

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Apr 21, 2016
Messages
115
Reaction score
59
Country
Brazil
I'm not sure if this is the correct thread to ask this but, is WSJ on a break next week?
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
Shokugeki no Soma & One Piece.

Btw how long do we have to wait for the top 200 volume list for 2016?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top