Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2015-2016] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nakura

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
1,564
Reaction score
2,181
Age
30
Country
Ireland
I guess. I prefer a better translation more than anything. It's not like you're paying these groups for the chapter, so I couldn't care much about it being released as quickly as possible.

Popularity is an interesting point when it comes to lesser known series. I never really think much about that though.
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I guess. I prefer a better translation more than anything. It's not like you're paying these groups for the chapter, so I couldn't care much about it being released as quickly as possible.

Popularity is an interesting point when it comes to lesser known series. I never really think much about that though.
I pay money for English Jump, so I already get the best possible scan quality/translation. I'm an impatient person, so that's why I tolerate MS.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Except Haikyuu, the other mangas I read at ESJ only. I formed this habit after going to the US. There was a saying that you shouldn't download pirate things in the US because the FBI comes after you. I passed a lot of months reading legal things and now I'm very used to it. That was some kind of drug treatment. :derp
So, Jump only on Mondays and I forget Haikyuu and I'm always late at it, that's why I urge for Haikyuu at ESJ. xD
I renewed my ESJ subscription and I still use it here in Brazil. I still read scans, but much less than I used to, even more now when I'm able to read in Japanese.
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,720
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
Next week is the end of the mini arc in Shokugeki no Souma and the start of the next part in the series. Hopefully the ranking will go up. The flashback arc is pretty good so far.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
Thoughts on latest Demon's Plan chapter?
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Thoughts on latest Demon's Plan chapter?
I definitely enjoyed it. Lots of useful information. Enemy group reveal, ally for the MC, etc. Overall it increased my enjoyment of the series. Also, I liked how there was an actual reason for the finger in the ear instead of the typical grimdark cliche.
 

Nakura

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
1,564
Reaction score
2,181
Age
30
Country
Ireland
Thoughts on latest Demon's Plan chapter?
This chapter was definitely the best so far. Good world building and and provided an interesting angle to the premise. It hasn't sold me yet though. Having my attention for only 1 out of the 6 chapters so far isn't something to write home about. The art is also still bugging me.
 

xAsum0x

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
1,763
Reaction score
1,582
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I enjoyed it also, seemed to setup alot of stuff like Dogma,the Alliance, and also other factions.
 

G_I_A

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
401
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Ranking in the magazine is what matters, no matter how much a manga sells.
I have the feeling that I repeated it a dozen of times already here. hahaha
Yeah... Isobe is definitely the perfect example of that haha.

I pay money for English Jump, so I already get the best possible scan quality/translation. I'm an impatient person, so that's why I tolerate MS.
I could swear this was a Sharkbait post... But ok, I'll bite... No dude, viz translations are HIDEOUS. And they won't ever beat Edited Manga groups... Not while we still have the printed magazine.
 

Tanzo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 1, 2016
Messages
1,555
Reaction score
3,766
Country
United States
Estimated Sales for Series (17 days)

111,042 Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san 4
*72,143 Yakusoku no Neverland 1
*50,406 Fire Punch 3
*48,485 Kimetsu no Yaiba 4
*41,147 Sesuji wo Pin! to 8

Jump+ / Axed
*89,278 Boys Over Flowers: Next Season 5
*61,896 Kuroko no Basket: Replace Plus 5
*10,522 iShoujo+ 10
**7,733 Love Rush! 1

*49,445 Hinomaru Zumo 12 (31 days)
*49,099 Samon-kun wa Summoner 6 (34 days)
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Yeah... Isobe is definitely the perfect example of that haha.
You know that Isobe is put in the bottom on purpose like Jaguar, right?
 

Scruffy8642

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2016
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,057
Age
29
Country
Australia
What I don't get is why there are people who are so persistent in wanting a series they read to be picked up by MS. I mean, why? If there's already a good scan group doing it then what's the point?
Well just look at Demons Plan. The series is nothing special and is brand new, yet has a pretty big following judging by the comments each chapter gets on Reddit. If MS hadn't picked that up and another group did, most of those people probably wouldn't have ever heard of it.

Although the speed thing is a bit stupid. They just picked up BC which is already done by Jaimini and they release within a few hours or sometimes even before MS, so they're certainly not slow. Its probably their most stupid choice in series to pick up yet. Likewise with Jaimini doing OP tbh.
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
checking out Love Rush volume

every single monster girl from the first chapter have a name

which means the incompetent mangaka was planning to have the mc a harem of 47 girls he was probably gunning for negima 31 record

someone please get this guy a writer for his next serialization, that's if he still have a career after those horrifying sales
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Don't badmouth my beloved Love Rush! Characters must have a name, right? I think it shows his devotion to the series. We cannot tell how he would handle all that because he didn't have time to do so.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Horikoshi had a horrifying series and horrifying sales in Sensei Bulge and look at where he is now. It doesn't me anything. He has to move on and get better in the next try.
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
here's where are you wrong kiddo, he was planning to introduce the girls to the story 1 by 1, he already introduced some of them to the harem

Horikoshi wanted to quit being a mangaka after Barrage, his friend talked him into giving it another shot
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
How do you know that? He said so? And I don't understand why people bother so much about size of harems if there are casts out there that are so big you don't remember half of the names (*cof* World Trigger *cof*). It is not like all the girls will always participate actively in the story, there is always a core where the author focus on more. I don't know about Negima, but there are ways to handle that well. I particularly don't like big casts, but I will not criticize something that didn't happen.
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
How do i know that? it's every harem manga formula ever

-new girl show up
-girl have a problem
-help her with her problem
-her crush on mc get stronger
-mc dodge, main girl dodge his dodging, no development
-repeat next week

and yes, there are ways to handle a large cast well, but this mangaka's writing is awful, I have seen nothing redeeming about it and I'm almost certain he would've botched the execution
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
You don't like harem, not the author in particular. Tell me something new...

I hope 2017 brings us a pure romance to the magazine. I don't know if Yuragi is romance, but it is certainly not pure.
I read a lot of romances, but one in Jump is special, Nisekoi end opened a hole in my heart.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top