Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

G_I_A

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
401
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Somebody said that for a "monthly series" with less stress the quality of the story improves (or something)... Well I'm still waiting for that plot twist on Platinum End.

But so far it's the worst series by Ohba and Obata.
 

xAsum0x

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
1,763
Reaction score
1,582
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Call me messed up, but i found that dog scene more emotional than Deku's over-exaggeration emotions in the 1st chapter.
I don't know what you mean by an over exaggeration, but that's also a personal preference. I'm saying if you do what he said to do, and compare them side by side objectively, Black Torch doesn't even come close.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Oh, come on. The only hyperbolic thing said was that it could be FMA-tier. Everyone else was just saying it was good, and that there are Bleach similarities. That's not hyperbolic.
One chapter is not enough to compare a series with ANY other series, be it FMA or Bleach, it is just too few pages.
And by the way, it is a SQ series, not a SJ series, so we are the wrong thread. It is better stop before the staff hunts us and put us in a stake. XD
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
Pretty random question but does the mangaka have any say in which studio animates his/her series?
 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Pretty random question but does the mangaka have any say in which studio animates his/her series?
The mangaka for 3 Gatsu Lion said she wanted SHAFT to handle the anime adaptation for it. Really it depends on how much they sell their intentions to investors for it to go to the studio of thier choosing but most of are thrilled to even be adapted to begin with so they aren't particularly picky.
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Pretty random question but does the mangaka have any say in which studio animates his/her series?
yes, ahiru no sora mangaka declined many anime adptations
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
One chapter is not enough to compare a series with ANY other series, be it FMA or Bleach, it is just too few pages.
And by the way, it is a SQ series, not a SJ series, so we are the wrong thread. It is better stop before the staff hunts us and put us in a stake. XD
So by that logic, the people who said the first chapter of Black Clover was similar to Naruto were... incorrect?
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,297
Reaction score
7,333
Age
33
Country
Scotland
I always found Academia's first chapter pretty weak, it introduces the setting well enough but Deku sucked in it and the other characters were all pretty annoying too.
 

Nakura

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
1,564
Reaction score
2,181
Age
30
Country
Ireland
Again, it's pretty subjective. I thought MHA's first chapter was really strong. It struck a cord with me emotionally, and I really liked Izuku in the first chapter. I thought the art was full of energy as well.
 

xAsum0x

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
1,763
Reaction score
1,582
Gender
Male
Country
United States
How did Izuku suck? Did you not like his personality? Because that's something totally different.
 

Avok

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 6, 2015
Messages
477
Reaction score
363
Gender
Male
Country
Avatar
To me the first two episodes of the anime where pretty meh too, your average first chapter.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
So by that logic, the people who said the first chapter of Black Clover was similar to Naruto were... incorrect?
I wouldn't say incorrect, more imprudent... Now we know that Black Clover is a patchwork meant to be appealing to everyone that put his eyes on it.
 

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
Black Torch's first chapter was great, hopefully the Edited Manga group continues to release the chapters as they come. I can definitely see the Bleach comparisons, especially the art style. The main character kinda looks like how Kubo would draw Souma from Shokugeki. Also, I wonder if it will go the Bleach route. They outright declare that Jirou is important for everyone, which is basically what Ichigo was. Hopefully the story isn't just a recolored Bleach.
 

jagman1x3

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Sep 19, 2012
Messages
2,616
Reaction score
2,843
Gender
Male
Country
United States
PSA to everyone, unless it's somehow about WSJ (comparing it to Bleach doesn't really count), anything about Black Torch should go in the SQ thread. I haven't read it yet because my magazine issue won't arrive for another few days, so if I have to go and manually move a bunch of posts with spoilery stuff in them I'm going to be fairly annoyed.
 

Newkerzy

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 22, 2008
Messages
7,561
Reaction score
5,412
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
I always found Academia's first chapter pretty weak, it introduces the setting well enough but Deku sucked in it and the other characters were all pretty annoying too.
Again, it's pretty subjective. I thought MHA's first chapter was really strong. It struck a cord with me emotionally, and I really liked Izuku in the first chapter. I thought the art was full of energy as well.
The way I see it, if I had been following MHA since the very first chapter, I wouldn't have been immediately interested because it didn't introduce elements that moved the story along right away. It did well in establishing Deku's character and the tone of the series, though. If anything, the reason the first chapter looked more like a one-shot to me is mainly because resolves the self-esteem issues Deku had that was earlier established.

But that said, I don't regret the ride I've had with MHA all the way. It was chugging pretty slowly at first, but once I got past that, that was one hell of a ride I've been in.
 

Kefka Palazzo

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jan 22, 2017
Messages
134
Reaction score
66
Age
31
Country
Brazil
One chapter is not enough to compare a series with ANY other series, be it FMA or Bleach, it is just too few pages.
And by the way, it is a SQ series, not a SJ series, so we are the wrong thread. It is better stop before the staff hunts us and put us in a stake. XD
Not quite. It's not wrong to compare series, even if only by it's first chapter. If the one and only chapter that a series has until now has many similarities with Bleach, it's not wrong to compare it with Bleach at all. I seriously can't understand the reason you shouldn't be able to compare only by the first chapter, seriously.
 

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
I always found Academia's first chapter pretty weak, it introduces the setting well enough but Deku sucked in it and the other characters were all pretty annoying too.
Really? I thought the way deku's character was portrayed and how he wished his mother and others had not given up on him achieving his dream was really well done.
I really liked how deku was shown to be grabbing onto his bag/his chest when crying at the end. It really brought out how big of a deal it was to him to hear those words from someone.

But maybe that was just me.
 

xAsum0x

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
1,763
Reaction score
1,582
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Really? I thought the way deku's character was portrayed and how he wished his mother and others had not given up on him achieving his dream was really well done.
I really liked how deku was shown to be grabbing onto his bag/his chest when crying at the end. It really brought out how big of a deal it was to him to hear those words from someone.

But maybe that was just me.
I agree with you, but that's probably because you and I aren't bothered by Deku's character archetype in chapter 1. Its the main issue I see after just reading some peoples reaction to the first chapter. I've come to understand that some people just cant stand certain personalities and it ruins their experiences, and I think that's perfectly OK.
 

Doughboy

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 1, 2016
Messages
4,482
Reaction score
8,341
Country
United States
I'm on the side that I thought MHA's first chapter (well episode since I didn't start the manga till Chapter 21) didn't do much for me. Before even reading MHA I saw Deku's character design and thought I'll probably like him. The first 2 episodes were lowkey annoying and didn't paint him in a good light for me. He always cried, I mean the stuff with his mother was done great but his character was soft, always tearing up and I didn't like that at all. After he got his quirk and was training he became my favorite character instantly. I think MHA doesn't pick up till after Episode 4.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top