Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
I like Deku because I personally dealt with a lot of bullying such as getting beat up and robbed in school a lot, so I find him relatable
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Not quite. It's not wrong to compare series, even if only by it's first chapter. If the one and only chapter that a series has until now has many similarities with Bleach, it's not wrong to compare it with Bleach at all. I seriously can't understand the reason you shouldn't be able to compare only by the first chapter, seriously.
You are comparing a long run series with one chapter. You are not giving the series a chance to build anything, principally its identity, before comparing with every single series. We know that authors look for inspiration in other series and some things will be similar. Everybody knows that here and yet people are comparing every series to another after a few chapters.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
I seriously think Neverland could go down us having one of the best Volume cover collections out of any Jump series.

What Jump series do you guys think have the best volume covers?
 

Doughboy

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 1, 2016
Messages
4,482
Reaction score
8,341
Country
United States
One Piece #84 is godly. Looks even better in color. This coming from someone who really dislikes Oda's art.
 

Nakura

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
1,564
Reaction score
2,181
Age
30
Country
Ireland
I seriously think Neverland could go down us having one of the best Volume cover collections out of any Jump series.

What Jump series do you guys think have the best volume covers?
I really like Bleach's honestly, especially since character designs are Kubo's specialty.
 

Kefka Palazzo

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jan 22, 2017
Messages
134
Reaction score
66
Age
31
Country
Brazil
You are comparing a long run series with one chapter. You are not giving the series a chance to build anything, principally its identity, before comparing with every single series. We know that authors look for inspiration in other series and some things will be similar. Everybody knows that here and yet people are comparing every series to another after a few chapters.
Well... Black Torch similarities with Bleach start in the very first chapter of Bleach. And it's not like comparing series is actually a problem, I know many people that read a manga because a person made a comparison of that manga with a series that the person likes. After thinking a little, I kind of understand why you wouldn't want people comparing a series only by it's first chapters, but it's inevitable when the similarities are really obvious.
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
I seriously think Neverland could go down us having one of the best Volume cover collections out of any Jump series.

What Jump series do you guys think have the best volume covers?
Hunter x Hunter
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
Personally I'd say the best covers are between One Piece and Dragon Ball. I love how a lot of Dragon Ball covers had no correlation to the actual plot and we're just fun scenarios
 

Avok

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 6, 2015
Messages
477
Reaction score
363
Gender
Male
Country
Avatar
Bleach covers are pretty good. So stylish!
 

Newkerzy

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 22, 2008
Messages
7,561
Reaction score
5,412
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
As great as MHA's art is, it's a bit sad the volume covers don't quite live up to it. The only volume covers that looked good is if it's focusing on a single character. Like #5 and, #11. Maybe Horikoshi might want to consider switching to Kubo's style?
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
As great as MHA's art is, it's a bit sad the volume covers don't quite live up to it. The only volume covers that looked good is if it's focusing on a single character. Like #5 and, #11. Maybe Horikoshi might want to consider switching to Kubo's style?
I'd say Volume 1, 6, 9, and 10 are great covers that include multiple characters
 

Nakura

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
1,564
Reaction score
2,181
Age
30
Country
Ireland
As great as MHA's art is, it's a bit sad the volume covers don't quite live up to it. The only volume covers that looked good is if it's focusing on a single character. Like #5 and, #11. Maybe Horikoshi might want to consider switching to Kubo's style?
The only covers I'm not a fan of are 2 and 9. I think they all the others look great. My only issue is that they aren't uniform, which is something I like in a set of volume covers.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Nurarihyon no Mago covers are the ones I like the most from Jump series. Besides that, I don't think I have any other that comes to my mind... All good ones are all from other publishers.
Favorite cover from NuraMago is this one:
 

jagman1x3

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Sep 19, 2012
Messages
2,616
Reaction score
2,843
Gender
Male
Country
United States
The only covers I'm not a fan of are 2 and 9. I think they all the others look great. My only issue is that they aren't uniform, which is something I like in a set of volume covers.
The worst is when the spines aren't uniform. This triggers me so hard whenever I see it at the store and I haven't even read the series.
 

Nakura

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
1,564
Reaction score
2,181
Age
30
Country
Ireland
The worst is when the spines aren't uniform. This triggers me so hard whenever I see it at the store and I haven't even read the series.
Definitely. It's also the worst when the spines all come together to form one image, and you get a few spines where the image isn't in line.

In relation to MHA... man the Viz spines look so ugly.
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
I seriously think Neverland could go down us having one of the best Volume cover collections out of any Jump series.

What Jump series do you guys think have the best volume covers?
Consistently? HxH.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
These ones where they cover top moments in an arc




 

Tanzo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 1, 2016
Messages
1,555
Reaction score
3,766
Country
United States
Looks like there's been a
sudden timeskip
in Sesuji wo Pin!'s latest chapter.

Could be entering the final arc/ending or just entering a new arc. Likely it's ending though since Ch. 81's color page looked like it + only a few more chapters to finish Vol 10.
 
Last edited:

Nakura

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
1,564
Reaction score
2,181
Age
30
Country
Ireland
Looks like there's been a
sudden timeskip
in Sesuji wo Pin!'s latest chapter.

Could be entering the final arc/ending or just entering a new arc.
How big is the timeskip?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top