Movies The Movie Thread! - Continuation - Part 1

BluePegasus

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 30, 2015
Messages
1,818
Reaction score
5,128
Gender
Male
Country
Netherlands
Soooo.

Any hype for the OSCAR NOMINATIONS HUH????
 

Brandish μ

Taking notes
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Global Moderator
Joined
Oct 24, 2015
Messages
10,244
Reaction score
33,630
Gender
Male
Country
Kingdom of Fiore
La La Land received 14 nominations. I haven't seen it. I'll probably have to...
 

BluePegasus

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 30, 2015
Messages
1,818
Reaction score
5,128
Gender
Male
Country
Netherlands
La La Land received 14 nominations. I haven't seen it. I'll probably have to...
It's overrated af if you ask me.. Ryan Gosling is so out of place in the Best Actor category.

JUSTICE FOR CASEY AFFLECK!
 

Brandish μ

Taking notes
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Global Moderator
Joined
Oct 24, 2015
Messages
10,244
Reaction score
33,630
Gender
Male
Country
Kingdom of Fiore
JUSTICE FOR CASEY AFFLECK!
I haven't seen Manchester by the Sea since it doesn't come out til Feb in my country... but I hear it's amazing. He's a solid actor to me since Gone Baby Gone which was a long while ago now :)
 

BluePegasus

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 30, 2015
Messages
1,818
Reaction score
5,128
Gender
Male
Country
Netherlands
I haven't seen Manchester by the Sea since it doesn't come out til Feb in my country... but I hear it's amazing. He's a solid actor to me since Gone Baby Gone which was a long while ago now :)
Well tbh I'm not really out of who should win the best Actor Category since Andrew Garfield's performance in Hacksaw Ridge was outstanding as hell too. I must confess I'm a bit biased towards the Affleck family so I grant Casey the Oscar, kii.
 

Brandish μ

Taking notes
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Global Moderator
Joined
Oct 24, 2015
Messages
10,244
Reaction score
33,630
Gender
Male
Country
Kingdom of Fiore
My mans Denzel is in there for Fences, another movie I haven't seen. Hacksaw Ridge won't even come out here until March so the Awards will be done before I even see it.
 

Wowzers

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jul 1, 2008
Messages
6,509
Reaction score
5,523
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
I'm not really sure how to vote this year... or any year for that matter. :D
If I rank by my personal enjoyment I'd go:

Hell or High Water
Manchester by the Sea
Hidden Figures
Lion
Hacksaw Ridge
Arrival
La La Land
Fences
---------------------
Moonlight <--- can't rank, haven't seen

However the Academy rarely votes the way I would... If La La Land was in the last couple of years it would have won, for the same reasons Birdman won... it's a movie about actors/members of the academy (who vote) and they have a certain self interest in their own circumstances. Birdman was a very good movie that year, but from my perspective it was only really good from a technical standpoint. From an actual enjoyment standpoint, I hated Birdman. It was at the bottom of my list that year. It had awesome cinematography though.

Fences would have been higher in my ranking if Denzel Washington's character didn't remind me of a super-sized version of my dad's bad character flaws.
 
Last edited:

Styx

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2016
Messages
880
Reaction score
593
Country
Russian Federation
I'm really disappointed that Amy Adams didn't get a nomination. She was really good in Arrival. :(
 

BluePegasus

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 30, 2015
Messages
1,818
Reaction score
5,128
Gender
Male
Country
Netherlands
I'm really disappointed that Amy Adams didn't get a nomination. She was really good in Arrival. :(
Yeah that was pretty much a plot twist. I mean, she should've been there instead of Meryl..
 

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Joined
Nov 5, 2007
Messages
4,334
Reaction score
22,337
Gender
Male
Country
Sweden
Finished watching La La Land five minutes ago - spontaneous first impression: DAMN this films is gorgeous. As in visually stunning. Cinematography Category is locked in.
A few good tunes in there and solid performances from Stone and Gosling. Overall a nice feel good film in terms of story and feel (and the ending earns it an extra point in my book, story-wise). There's bound to be films more deserving of the Best Picture award but honestly I think this will take it. It'll most likely sweep the table a la The Artist unless the academy is feeling a bit less masturbatory nowadays.
 

Spirit

Friend
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Apr 4, 2016
Messages
8,110
Reaction score
13,058
Age
27
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
Recently watched La La Land also. I'm... Well that film certainly took me on a kind of journey.
 

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Joined
Nov 5, 2007
Messages
4,334
Reaction score
22,337
Gender
Male
Country
Sweden
Feels like the actors part of the Academy voters have such a permanent hard-on for Meryl that she could narrate an indie documentary short and would still manage to get nominated for Best Actress.
Haven't seen any of the performances except Emma Stone, but Amy Adams is so long overdue a win.. Definitely watching Arrival soon.

Watched Captain Fantastic yesterday and it was such a feel-good film. Funny, heart-warming and even quite thought-provoking. Great (!) ensemble of child actors as well as a subtle but brilliant Viggo Mortensen. Not expecting him to win Best Actor, but he sure deserves it more than Gosling (only other performance I've seen). Solid 8/10.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
So I watched Arrival just now. It was a quite-above-average sci-if film. Great feel and atmosphere to it, and (unlike my friends whom I watched it with) I like that it takes its time to unfold its story, and keeps things subtle (until the end when it feels like they think the viewers are too dumb to have worked things out for themselves).

And now I can say that yes, Amy Adams should have at least been nominated. Not her best role ever, but that's not saying she wasn't great.

This isn't the Best Picture, but a pretty good one. A "soft" 8/10.
 

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Joined
Nov 5, 2007
Messages
4,334
Reaction score
22,337
Gender
Male
Country
Sweden

Riku

Dirty Blonde
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Joined
Nov 24, 2007
Messages
3,735
Reaction score
17,766
Country
Torumekian Empire
The Finnish production has been very quiet, no news from that front for a while. I'm not having my hopes up, imho the director Olli Saarela has never directed a good film. Haven't even heard of a US version untill now. It seems like it is an indie production, the writer/director duo are very young and have credits mainly in short films and doubling many different roles in those.

Curious though. Häyhä is definitely an interesting character. Maybe the deadliest sniper ever to live, yet as the stories have it, very calm and gentle man, who just did what he had to. The pieces for a good film are there. I hope they handle it well.
 

Wowzers

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jul 1, 2008
Messages
6,509
Reaction score
5,523
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
I saw Logan on Friday! Awesome movie! I'm sure you'll all enjoy it!
I'm not here really to talk about that though...
There just so happens to be a short live action film on just before the movie. You'll really want to see it so don't stand in line too long getting popcorn assuming you'll just be missing commercials/trailers.

There is a short 5min live action film for Deadpool!!!
It's not a commercial! It's not a Trailer!
It's something that the Academy will have to vote on for the "Best Live Action Short" category next year, since there are very few Shorts made every year. :XD
It's hysterically funny! Enjoy it before watching Logan... since there is very little humor in Logan itself.

OMG ITS ON YOUTUBE!
 
Last edited:

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,850
Reaction score
23,520
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I saw Logan too. It was certainly a different kind of superhero movie.

Can't say I loved it completely. I loved parts of it. The little girl was fantastic and the last 20 mins were outstanding. I have some issues with the way Wolverine's character was written in the middle portion though.

I get they were going bleak with it and that he's pretty much washed up but I feel like the climax would have been better if it had taken some cues from the western it borrowed lines from "Shane". I wanted some glimpses of the old him to show up sooner and allow for more of a foundation for the father daughter dynamic with X-23 but it really didn't get to that until the last possible second.

The part at the end where she was like "Dad..." could have been such an even greater soul crushing tearjerker moment if he hadn't been acting like a grouchy asshole to her right up until that moment. It heavily overplayed the reluctant hero stuff IMO.

Even without that it was a good climax but I can't help but feel it could have been a lot better.

Just imagine if he went full hero mode and was going to go with the kids to Canada and THEN that ending scene happens. I'd have been in tears for sure.

Also pretty sure X-23 killed more people than Logan. Did not expect that.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
So because I was in the mood for another X-Men movie after seeing Logan and I figured I'd watch X-Men Apocalypse. It was on HBO so why not right?

As such I have some very late thoughts to add about that movie. Specifically how badly it @#$%ing sucks!!!


I feel like everybody I've heard talk about it said it was "fine". Which it's not! To reiterate my earlier point, it @#$^ing sucks. The acting is bad. The dialogue is bad. The plot is meh. It's long, it's boring, one scene with Quicksilver aside it basically sucks.

Look I like Jennifer Lawrence as much as the next guy but lets not insult her good work on other movies by pretending she wasn't bad in this one. The teen Cyclops, Jean Grey, and Nightcrawler can blame the writing and directing to some degree but they were bad too. With Fastbender I choose to believe it was the writing but if we're being honest about it he wasn't good either. And Apocalypse... I don't even want to talk about him. Suffice it to say, as somebody who grew up watching the X-Men cartoon, their casting choice and narrative approach to him deeply offends me.

I feel like I could make the argument X-Men: Apocalypse is worse than X-Men: The Last Stand. And I never thought that I would be able to make that argument about a Marvel movie. Also, just throwing this out there, Suicide Squad was significantly better. Dawn of Justice...I'm calling that a tie.
 

FetherMan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 5, 2012
Messages
2,366
Reaction score
1,127
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Split - 8/10
Hidden Figures 9/10
Kong: Skull Island - 6/10
John Wick: Chapter 2 - 9/10
Get Out - 10/10
Logan - 7/10
Lego Batman Movie - 8/10


So far this year, I've been pretty cool with these films I've watched, I think "Split" and "Get Out" were the most surprising and entertaining out of these selections. Eagerly awaiting another John Wick sequel and Logan was a disappointment for me, I like "The Wolverine" better and "Deadpool" for that matter.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Split - 8/10
Hidden Figures 9/10
Kong: Skull Island - 6/10
John Wick: Chapter 2 - 9/10
Get Out - 10/10
Logan - 7/10
Lego Batman Movie - 8/10


So far this year, I've been pretty cool with these films I've watched, I think "Split" and "Get Out" were the most surprising and entertaining out of these selections. Eagerly awaiting another John Wick sequel and Logan was a disappointment for me, I like "The Wolverine" better and "Deadpool" for that matter.

Here's hoping for "Power Rangers" and "Ghost in the Shell", please let these movies be GOOD!!. :spaz
 

Wowzers

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jul 1, 2008
Messages
6,509
Reaction score
5,523
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
I noticed that 'Kimi no Na wa' (Your Name) was coming out soon so I checked when and found out locally it will be one day only on April 12... This will vary a lot for other theatres since it is so limited in its release. So look around for something that is convenient for you.

While I was doing this I also scanned ahead for movies I might find interesting and came up with a release schedule for the next few months. It probably will only be valid for Canada and the US, but release dates can vary. I'm sure you will spot some that you will be interested in too.

April
07 Going in Style
12 Your Name <--One day only! Check for where and what day!
14 The Fate of the Furious
14 Their Finest
21 Colossal
21 Free Fire
21 Lost City of Z
28 The Circle

May
05 Guardians of the Galaxy vol.2
12 Bon Cop Bad Cop 2
12 King Arthur
12 Snatched
19 Alien: Covenant
26 Baywatch
26 Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell no Tales

June
02 Wonder Woman
02 Captain Underpants
09 The Mummy
16 Cars 3
23 Transformers: The Last Knight
28 Baby Driver
30 Despicable Me 3

July
07 Spiderman: Homecoming
14 War for the Planet of the Apes
21 Dunkirk
21 Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets
28 An Inconvenient Sequel
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
:loool
 
Top