Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,296
Reaction score
7,332
Age
33
Country
Scotland
Toriko's ending was fine but it got a lot of backlash on the way there for skipping a ton of build up. It's understandable why it happened though, it's better to skip the build up and do the last arc in full than take the Bleach route of spending ages on every minor side character fight then have no time for the actual ending.
 

Kefka Palazzo

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jan 22, 2017
Messages
134
Reaction score
66
Age
31
Country
Brazil
How is it not a good series?


That's just promises he couldn't keep.

Toriko never suffered backlash for poor writing regarding its conclusion, in fact, the ending was written well. It's just the people who were unrealistically expecting the series to go on for another 2-5 years that got disappointed. (Which is pretty ignorant on their end)
I read only 'till chapter 50 or something like this. Can't say much about the series to make you change your mind or something like this. Liked the world building tho, only thing that pissed me off is the way that power levels grew in a short time and how Toriko always have to fuck himself to fight a bad guy and in 10 chapters or so he have to fight another bad guy, but, like, 3 times stronger and he can actually win. Don't know if I made myself clear, sorry.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
That was sort-of happening for a while last year, 2 of the 3 late 2015 series were surviving (until August anyway) there were no failed new series from 2016 until Takuan in issue 24.

But then a bunch of the perma bottoms ended within a couple months of each other and 6 of the 7 replacement from the last 3rd of the year flopped.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
A bit of a different question, what do people think is most likely to be an almost-success of the new 6?

I'm thinking stuff like Mononofu and Magico where they start off somewhat promisingly making it past a few batches but fail to draw in enough of a long term fanbase to keep it going, and end up cancelled after a year or so.
I'm riding with Dr.Stone as this bunch's Neverland. I mainly feel like the story will be good because this is the writer's first series in quite some time. It's possible he spent a lot of time conceptualizing it. And the art is going to be amazing.

I feel like Poro could be a surprise success, because the artist seems to have a lot of creative and wacky ideas based on his One shot, and although I wasn't a huge fan of the One Shot, I think he has potential to craft a great series.

I hope Hungry Marie survives because I like the designs, Beelzebub was cool, and the Tiger Brothers one shot was pretty good.


But all of them sound and look interesting to some degree. But all of them aren't gonna survive so i can't say.
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
I read only 'till chapter 50 or something like this. Can't say much about the series to make you change your mind or something like this. Liked the world building tho, only thing that pissed me off is the way that power levels grew in a short time and how Toriko always have to fuck himself to fight a bad guy and in 10 chapters or so he have to fight another bad guy, but, like, 3 times stronger and he can actually win. Don't know if I made myself clear, sorry.
That's not really criticism, it doesn't match your taste. It's wacky and it's a go big or go home type of series. The series is intentionally written that way and they level up by eating (or training arcs). The bolded part never happened?
 

Kefka Palazzo

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jan 22, 2017
Messages
134
Reaction score
66
Age
31
Country
Brazil
That's not really criticism, it doesn't match your taste. It's wacky and it's a go big or go home type of series. The series is intentionally written that way and they level up by eating (or training arcs). The bolded part never happened?
I know it's not criticism. I read only 50 chapters or so, I can't actually make a critic that can change your opinion, since you have read the entire series. (But a curious thing is that I like bizarre and wacky things, since my favorite series is JoJo's.)
 

IHateAsta

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2016
Messages
81
Reaction score
60
Age
30
Country
United Arab Emirates
"Bleach route of spending ages on every minor side character fight"
That is exactly what I look for in a series , I don't think any manga handled this part well other than Bleach and maybe the first part of Naruto .
 

Scruffy8642

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2016
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,057
Age
29
Country
Australia
Dr. Stone, Hungry Marie, Poro's and Robot x Laserbeam. I know, I'm being too naïve.
These are what I want to survive. Dr Stone is obvious. I loved the concept behind Toteku, so if the author can make Poro another whacky series that's executed better it could be good, I do have a small feeling it will fail though :(. Hungry Marie and Robot x
Laserbeam I want to succeed just because I need Tamura and Fujimakis comedy in my life.
 

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
Right now, I'm kind of hoping for a new series that really breaks away from the norm of battle series. Basically, I want a new Medaka Box type series where cliches and tropes are twisted in an interesting way. I thought the way that Medaka Box handled the "who really is the main character" subplot quite well.
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
I know it's not criticism. I read only 50 chapters or so, I can't actually make a critic that can change your opinion, since you have read the entire series. (But a curious thing is that I like bizarre and wacky things, since my favorite series is JoJo's.)
Odd...most JoJo fans I know, enjoy Toriko. xD
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Toriko gives the impression that it was a great series because the difference of what could be done or couldn't be done was nonexistent. Toriko was so absurd that people got used to it being absurd. I thought many times that the series was being ridiculous but "it is Toriko, whatever". XD
 

Mawara

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Feb 22, 2015
Messages
210
Reaction score
234
Gender
Female
Country
Germany
I know a little bit late, but still wanted to answer this:
Link? Why it wasn't stated in the manga?
Also uh I am not really in the position to talk so sorry if I offend someone but it isn't true that asexuals don't feel affection? Romance isn't always just a sexual thing. Asexuals aren't robots...
Asexuality means not feeling any sexual desires. It doesnt mean not able to love someone. That person would be aromantic, meaning not having any interest for romantic love(but still having sexual desires).
Trivia: 1% of humanity is supposed to be asexual.
 

Nakura

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
1,564
Reaction score
2,181
Age
30
Country
Ireland
I don't know if anyone brought it up, but what do you guys think NY Times discontinuing manga best seller list?

Source: https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1587617
I'm not really that bothered. There were no figures attached to the ranks, so there was no gauge of how popular a series actually was in comparison to another. I'm also more interested in seeing international sales as a whole, not just in the US.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,078
Reaction score
6,935
Gender
Male
Country
United States
U19 seems like its the one thats going to be a guaranteed hit.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
I'm not really that bothered. There were no figures attached to the ranks, so there was no gauge of how popular a series actually was in comparison to another. I'm also more interested in seeing international sales as a whole, not just in the US.
Was barely even the US manga chart. It has been the Tokyo Ghoul, Attack on Titan and One Punch Man charts for the past 3 years
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,296
Reaction score
7,332
Age
33
Country
Scotland
Quick question, has there even been a WSJ series with a bald mc?
 

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
Quick question, has there even been a WSJ series with a bald mc?
Pretty sure there has been one, just not one that I think was popular enough for people to remember. A big part of shounen manga characters is their hair after all. I remember reading somewhere that a good main character design is one you can recognize from a silhouette.
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,296
Reaction score
7,332
Age
33
Country
Scotland
The silhouette thing was a gag in Gintama at one point (it's probably at least party a real thing though).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top