Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,297
Reaction score
7,333
Age
33
Country
Scotland
What's kind of ironic about U19 is that Japan's starting to run out of applicants for non-degree jobs right now, there's too many people going to university and not enough getting trades. Construction in particular really needs more people.
 

G_I_A

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
401
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
What's kind of ironic about U19 is that Japan's starting to run out of applicants for non-degree jobs right now, there's too many people going to university and not enough getting trades. Construction in particular really needs more people.
here is the opposite, because of a major scam envolving the biggest construction companies and the government, lots of professionals of this area lost their jobs. Let's send them all over to Japan.

BTW, This whole scam here in brazil could became a manga. You guys would not believe the plot twists.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,938
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I have once again predicted another Shonen Jump hit.
 

Swavey

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jan 18, 2017
Messages
97
Reaction score
99
Country
The Wall
When I searched U19 in Twitter it seems like a lot of the Japanese accounts like it
They will forget about it when they see an adorable demon with a diary or bishie homoerotic golf.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,938
Gender
Male
Country
United States
They will forget about it when they see an adorable demon with a diary or bishie homoerotic golf.
Since its six new manga, all a new manga has to be is just even be 2nd or 3rd best and it survives, it doesnt even have to be the best. I dont think the demon one will survive. Golf will be challenging, it doesnt appear that jump readers like non traditional recreational activities.
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
we never learn already have one of the most upvoted threads in reddit
and have more the 1k follower on mal

if this get cancelled we will see a shitstorm so magnificent it will make us go "Red Sprite who?"
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,938
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I dont see what people see in We Never Learn, unless they are just desperate for a weak romcom or something. Chp 2 was pretty aimless and took things two steps backwards.
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
People on western sites really like romcom from Jump for some reason

I dunno if they enjoy the shipping wars aspect or the self insertion and wish fulfillment aspect, but for some reason every romcom jump put out gets popular really fast

even manga that doesn't have romance as the main attraction gets popular like Amalgam's first chapter with the mc confession got a huge reaction and after the female mc left the story people stopped caring

and regarding whether people care about quality or not, I think they don't, love rush is one of the most beloved manga that came out of jump recently on reddit despite it not having a single scanlated chapter :facepalm


just like you I don't see We Never Learn appeal either
it's a romcom that doesn't have romance or comedy :huh:
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
I didn't see Love Rush getting too much love on Reddit. There were a few fans, but no where near the fanbase of Red Sprite and Demon's Plan. Wouldn't really say it was beloved much at all
 

WesKR

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Nov 27, 2013
Messages
168
Reaction score
105
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Horny teenagers. It's the same crowd that eats up the "trapped in a video game" genre because the guys who are the best at MMOs get all the babes.
 

Scruffy8642

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2016
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,057
Age
29
Country
Australia
I dont see what people see in We Never Learn, unless they are just desperate for a weak romcom or something. Chp 2 was pretty aimless and took things two steps backwards.
Well its appealing to the exact audience Nisekoi did. Plus the fact the art is similar due to the author doing the spinoff for it. As someone who loved Nisekoi, We Never Learn has the same charm and im enjoying it a lot. People can complain about them being rubbish romcoms and never progressing, but there is a big audience for it regardless. I wouldn't be surprised if it survived just based on that fact alone.
 

Kadir0

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 26, 2016
Messages
909
Reaction score
1,475
Country
The Wall
People on western sites really like romcom from Jump for some reason

I dunno if they enjoy the shipping wars aspect or the self insertion and wish fulfillment aspect, but for some reason every romcom jump put out gets popular really fast
I have since long notice the main problem, i think lately people just wants a whole genre/magazine to act the complete opposite of its foundation, that's what excites them, and then when there's one manga that acts that way, it becomes a well more liked than the most manga in the magazine that manga was suppsed to be in, for example:-

- A yaoi manga that's in a different genre/magazine (like fujobait) (HIT)
- A seinen manga that's in a different genre/magazine (HIT)
- A romance manga that's in a different genre/magazine (like a shonen magazine) (HIT)

Even though all those would have failed or might not have become as popular as they are today if they were in the right genre/magazine.
 
Last edited:

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
With 6 new series, I think it is interesting to make a ranking of chances of surviving and make some comments. Now that we have two, let's see...

1) U19
Right at the the color page I saw that it has an art rough around the edges, some strange proportions, I think, but it can improve during the series and I think that U19 has the potential to survive. The premise is interesting, it kind of reminds me of Assassination Classroom in a sense that it has a ranking and segregation around scores although it seems a little lighter, people are not mistreated like AC. I think it is also a critic to the Japanese society as well, though a bit exaggerated to make it comical, and can resonate with the readers. There is also the entire science fiction aspect of the series with this hidden power thing. I think the story showed that there are many things to develop, things to make us curious. I think the next developments are predictable, the protagonist will awaken his hidden power and fight with other kids in the organization to change things and save his beloved one. However, after this, many things can have and it is exciting. Let's see, I liked the first chapter.

2) We never learn
Although it was advertised as romance, there was no romance at all in the first chapter, U19 had more romance than it. It will probably develop afterward, but how the romance will come together with all the study thing... If the protagonists chooses one, things will get awkward and ruin everything, only the mention of romance can be distractful and ruin everything since we know how Japanese people are self conscious about such things. The premise doesn't have much to develop at first glance. The all studying thing is boring, studying IS boring, principally for high school students and below. How well the author will handle this to make it less boring? Things will have to happen, only see them studying in a table will make the readers get bored very quickly. The characters are likable though, if the series focus on them, it can become more interesting. I still have to read the second chapter, let's see if it gets any better.
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
credit to kaizou_10
Apparently, it looks like there was a plan for Shaman King anime reboot. However, Takei Hiroyuki (author of Shaman King) declined that offer since the reboot isn't going to use the voice actors and the music from the previous anime.
ok, he's the creator and I respect his decision although I don't understand it
tho if someone wants to reboot Dash Yonkuro and he decline I'll travel to Japan and hit him over the head with a steel chair
 

Nakura

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
1,564
Reaction score
2,181
Age
30
Country
Ireland
I got really excited when I first heard that Mappa wanted to do a reboot of Shaman King. Guess Takei doesn't feel the same. What does he have to lose? I respect his decision though I suppose.
 

Avok

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 6, 2015
Messages
477
Reaction score
363
Gender
Male
Country
Avatar
What an idiot.
Kenshin reboot instead, please?
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
if the remake is from a different studio and not Xebec then it make sense they won't use Xebec's music

he should've known that much

the original anime wasn't that good, it was a fillers fest and they added all girls sisters team as the heroes rivals that wasn't in the manga

and gave those annoying anime only character tons of screen time even more than the canon characters

why does he even care about keeping any type of continuity from it?

shouldn't he be happy that 13 years after the manga have ended people still want to make a a franchise out of it

I really don't get it
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top