Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koi Kage

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2013
Messages
1,210
Reaction score
311
Gender
Male
Country
United States
It sounds funny, but if it's a gag then something has to give with all these gag manga in the magazine. Dr Stone next week
Lets all hope Dr. Stone isn't a gag manga also lol.
Though the summary of Dr. Stone we've gotten for it, as stated by ANN, makes it sound like a post-apocalyptic setting. I personally feel it may not survive it has TPN in the magazine already so the likely hood of it staying are slime to none. I could be entirely wrong and I hope I am because it could be really good.
 
Last edited:

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,106
Reaction score
5,852
Age
33
Country
United States
Lets all hope Dr. Stone isn't a gag manga also lol.
Though the summary of Dr. Stone we've gotten for it, as stated by ANN, makes it sound like a post-apocalyptic setting. While that is different for Jump, and would be a nice addition to the line up. I personally feel it may not survive on the fact that most post-apocalyptic manga that I've read have been seinen manga which may not appeal to Shounen Jump readers. I could be entirely wrong and I hope I am because it could be really good.
Uhm, The Promised Neverland? Hokuto no Ken?
 

Koi Kage

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2013
Messages
1,210
Reaction score
311
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Uhm, The Promised Neverland? Hokuto no Ken?
Haven't gotten around to reading those yet sorry if they fall under post-apocalyptic ^^;
 

xAsum0x

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
1,763
Reaction score
1,582
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Lets all hope Dr. Stone isn't a gag manga also lol.
Though the summary of Dr. Stone we've gotten for it, as stated by ANN, makes it sound like a post-apocalyptic setting. While that is different for Jump, and would be a nice addition to the line up. I personally feel it may not survive on the fact that most post-apocalyptic manga that I've read have been seinen manga which may not appeal to Shounen Jump readers. I could be entirely wrong and I hope I am because it could be really good.
You know The Promised Neverland is post apocalyptic right
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
Lets all hope Dr. Stone isn't a gag manga also lol.
Though the summary of Dr. Stone we've gotten for it, as stated by ANN, makes it sound like a post-apocalyptic setting. While that is different for Jump, and would be a nice addition to the line up. I personally feel it may not survive on the fact that most post-apocalyptic manga that I've read have been seinen manga which may not appeal to Shounen Jump readers. I could be entirely wrong and I hope I am because it could be really good.
Hungry Marie is comedy but it's also described as an action series. So it seems like it'll fall more in line with series like Dragon Ball and One Piece that blend comedy and action.
 

G_I_A

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
401
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Does anyone have the numbers for Jump's total magazine sales for 2005 and on? I'm just curious if there is a financial urgency or incentives to bring back this many veterans at once.
In the last 2 years they lost a lot of veteran series? Isn't enough?
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,106
Reaction score
5,852
Age
33
Country
United States
Hungry Marie is comedy but it's also described as an action series. So it seems like it'll fall more in line with series like Dragon Ball and One Piece that blend comedy and action.
...or it may have a similar structure to Beelzebub and alternate between and/or blend genre's by arc.
 

G_I_A

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
401
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
...or it may have a similar structure to Beelzebub and alternate between and/or blend genre's by arc.
It most certainly will be that. Beelzebub was awesome... I still don't get it why it was canceled...
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,106
Reaction score
5,852
Age
33
Country
United States
It most certainly will be that. Beelzebub was awesome... I still don't get it why it was canceled...
I don't either. Probably the cancelled anine affected it's popularity.
The tissue arc is one of my all time favorite Jump arcs though and the series still had tons of potential.
At least the Gaiden works pretty well as an ending.
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,295
Reaction score
7,328
Age
33
Country
Scotland
are the veterans really that big of a deal this time around though?

Beel never went above mid-magazine level popularity and dropped off towards the end, Tsutsui's only well known series is a spin-off of another mid-magazine series that dropped off towards the end, Boichi only big thing is a seinen series from a different publisher with no adaptations, and Murata was always the one in the spotlight for Eyeshield 21 rather than the writer.

Fujimaki's the only massively popular returning creator when you really think about it.
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,106
Reaction score
5,852
Age
33
Country
United States
are the veterans really that big of a deal this time around though?

Beel never went above mid-magazine level popularity and dropped off towards the end, Tsutsui's only well known series is a spin-off of another mid-magazine series that dropped off towards the end, Boichi only big thing is a seinen series from a different publisher with no adaptations, and Murata was always the one in the spotlight for Eyeshield 21 rather than the writer.

Fujimaki's the only massively popular returning creator when you really think about it.
I also don't think Fujimaki is going to find success this time around.
If it wasn't for the fujo's and a popular sport KnB would have been dead like it's early rankings made seem like would happen.
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,295
Reaction score
7,328
Age
33
Country
Scotland
Golf is a lot more popular than basketball in Japan, but how popular the sport is doesn't make much of a difference anyway. The second biggest series in Jump right now is about volleyball.
 

G_I_A

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
401
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
are the veterans really that big of a deal this time around though?

Beel never went above mid-magazine level popularity and dropped off towards the end, Tsutsui's only well known series is a spin-off of another mid-magazine series that dropped off towards the end, Boichi only big thing is a seinen series from a different publisher with no adaptations, and Murata was always the one in the spotlight for Eyeshield 21 rather than the writer.

Fujimaki's the only massively popular returning creator when you really think about it.
Beel received an anime. None of the "mid magazine level popularity" series nowadays got one. Ok, Tsutsui is NO Veteran... Plz stop this... None of his works are relevant whatsoever... And don't come to me with the "Nisekoi spin off" thing...

Boichi is Boichi... We don't need to discuss this... And come on, despite Murata being himself, Eyeshield 21 is not only good because of it's art... Not at all.

Fujimaki is the main issue right now. We don't know a thing about his series... But I don't think it will be bad.
 

jagman1x3

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Sep 19, 2012
Messages
2,616
Reaction score
2,843
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I also don't think Fujimaki is going to find success this time around.
If it wasn't for the fujo's and a popular sport KnB would have been dead like it's early rankings made seem like would happen.
He's got the fujos automatically, and golf is way more popular than you'd think in Japan. There's literally a monthly magazine just for golf manga, it'll take a lot for it to not get an audience.
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,106
Reaction score
5,852
Age
33
Country
United States
Golf is a lot more popular than basketball in Japan, but how popular the sport is doesn't make a difference anyway. The second biggest series in Jump right now is about volleyball.
Is it popular with 12 year olds though?
The only mangaka who managed to make a popular golf manga in Jump was Nakaba Suzuki.
Fujimaki is no Nakaba.
 

IHateAsta

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2016
Messages
81
Reaction score
60
Age
30
Country
United Arab Emirates
Beelzebub : Great characters , nice action + lots of laughs
why would anyone not read it? <3
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,106
Reaction score
5,852
Age
33
Country
United States
He's got the fujos automatically, and golf is way more popular than you'd think in Japan. There's literally a monthly magazine just for golf manga, it'll take a lot for it to not get an audience.
Meh, I'll take your word for it.
I still feel like he's such a poor writer that it might count against a new serialization.
He doesnt have art as a crutch like Tabata.
 

jagman1x3

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Sep 19, 2012
Messages
2,616
Reaction score
2,843
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Meh, I'll take your word for it.
I still feel like he's such a poor writer that it might count against a new serialization.
He doesnt have art as a crutch like Tabata.
I mean, going by the average actual yaoi series, I highly doubt the fujos are reading for the art unless every single one of them has some bizarre fetish for pointy chins and enormous hands and I'm just going to stop thinking about this now.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top