Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigivelfhq

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 22, 2013
Messages
846
Reaction score
501
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
Series based on pre-existing properties, like Dai's Big Adventure being an official Dragon Quest manga.
It would work exactly like any other series works. For Dai for an interview I read, I believe it is in the volumes. They gave all "responsibilities" to the authors of the manga, and it was pretty much their project.

In fact Dai was only to be a 1-shot first chapter, but it got so popular that they made it into a series. For that you have the chapter 0(I don't know if they call it that), of the series.
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
Haikyuu's art I would say has changed for the worse. It's a lot more sketchy, messy, and less detailed that the earlier volumes.
Is it really that bad? The style looks a bit awkward but that's about it.
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,720
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
Is it really that bad? The style looks a bit awkward but that's about it.
From what I see, yes. It's the only reason I am refrain from buying the volumes.

Especially their faces, glad I am not the only one who noticed this \o/
 

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
Is it really that bad? The style looks a bit awkward but that's about it.
Yup. I didn't notice it until I had bought the first 4 volumes about 2 months back to reread the manga. The art style then matched the anime more than it does now.

In the earlier volumes, shoes actually had a shape to them and didn't just look like a geometric figure. The lines showing the path of the ball also looked cleaner and more dynamic, as well as the movement of the characters themselves. Fingers often times are just slightly curved rectangles now instead of jointed appendages. The art quality in general deteriorated over time.
 

Nakura

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
1,564
Reaction score
2,181
Age
30
Country
Ireland
I agree. The change in Haikyu's art is so bizarre. I'm currently buying the English volumes, and looking at the artwork makes me sad knowing how it will change.
 

Koi Kage

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2013
Messages
1,210
Reaction score
311
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Yup. I didn't notice it until I had bought the first 4 volumes about 2 months back to reread the manga. The art style then matched the anime more than it does now.

In the earlier volumes, shoes actually had a shape to them and didn't just look like a geometric figure. The lines showing the path of the ball also looked cleaner and more dynamic, as well as the movement of the characters themselves. Fingers often times are just slightly curved rectangles now instead of jointed appendages. The art quality in general deteriorated over time.
Ouch, that's one heck of a drop off, Haikyuu!! isn't that old so it seems a little weird for that level of quality drop. To me it almost looks like Furudate doesn't care anymore about the series or at least not care about it's art anymore. I'm not up to date with the manga but does it feel like its ending anytime soon,because that could attribute to the drop?
 

Nakura

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
1,564
Reaction score
2,181
Age
30
Country
Ireland
It's not even that it feels like a deteriorated version, rather, it feels like a completely different art style.
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,297
Reaction score
7,333
Age
33
Country
Scotland
It's just the nature of how weekly series work, the weekly schedule is incredibly fast and harsh so over time the artists learn where they can most easily cut corners with the art to make things easier to keep up with.
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,720
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
It's just the nature of how weekly series work, the weekly schedule is incredibly fast and harsh so over time the artists learn where they can most easily cut corners with the art to make things easier to keep up with.
if we (readers) see the change, then there is no way the Editors won't see it. They must be okay with this current art-style to give it a pass.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
The editors are fine with it because there isn't much change at all actually.
 

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
My guess is that Furudate knows her series is basically completely safe, especially with that recent poll where it was voted the next poster manga for Jump. She's practically swimming in money right now, so they probably feel like they can just relax.
 

Magicoreo

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Dec 26, 2008
Messages
110
Reaction score
6
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Hmm...as Haikyuu is one of my favorites/top series I understand my opinion will come off as biased but ah...whatever. I may be in the minority here but I'd say haikyuu's art got better. Yes, there IS a distinct quality drop in art quality from the earlier volumes but tirakai has already stated a very likely reason for the drop in quality:
It's just the nature of how weekly series work, the weekly schedule is incredibly fast and harsh so over time the artists learn where they can most easily cut corners with the art to make things easier to keep up with.
But I find that in doing so (or perhaps due to the passage of time and gaining more experience), Furudate has found their own distinguishable art style over the years. And to me, an artist being able to draw in their own original and distinguishable art style is something I find not only admirable but also respectable--as it isn't something an artist can come across so easily.
At the same time Furudate has drawn panels where the artwork is just...exemplary. An example would be from towards the end of a match with a certain school.** (I didn't want to put down any spoilers.) So I don't think that Furudate's skills has entirely deteriorated but rather the mangaka may just be holding back due to time constraints. Another artist that comes to mind is Yusuke Murata. However in Murata's case his art in Eyeshield 21 got better as time went on. The reason for that though was because Inagaki was the writer while Yusuke had more time to focus on the art. Obviously Murata was under the same weekly schedule but had more leeway as an artist because he didn't have to worry so much about the story. Furudate on the other hand has to work both on the story and the art. After the success of E21 Murata went to work on One Punch Man and once again solely as an artist. This time around OPM release schedule was a lot more relaxed than WSJ which aso provided him more time to focus on the art and well...the quality in his art improved immensely!
After Haikyuu ends and Furudate ends up working on another series with a more relaxed time constraint compared to that of a weekly schedule there's a chance that the art will be of higher caliber.
 

Scruffy8642

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2016
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,057
Age
29
Country
Australia
I think Haikyuus art has deteriorated, but her style has gotten better. You can tell it's lacking in places compared to the past, but I do prefer the scratchiness of the faces and the like in their current style.

On the topic of Hungry Marie, its seems it will very much be like Beelzebub and Gintama where the more you know about otaku culture and Japan in general, the funnier it gets. I remember first watching Gintama after id only see like 5 anime and not finding it funny at all. Returned 2 years later and loved it. The jokes only really relied on having read Beelzebub (which is a bit stupid I admit) and knowing about Laputa in HM. I haven't even seen Laputa, just heard of it and it's premise and I got all the jokes. Didn't pick up his Grandma was a character from it, but it wasn't really necessary to have a laugh at the situation. It was still hilarious to me. And Miyazaki movies are like Disney in Japan. There arent many people in western society who haven't seen The Lion king, Little Mermaid, Toy Story, and those movies withstand the passage of time. Essentially everyone over the age of 10 in Japan probably would have understood the joke...
 

Nemesis

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2013
Messages
1,706
Reaction score
1,826
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
My guess is that Furudate knows her series is basically completely safe, especially with that recent poll where it was voted the next poster manga for Jump. She's practically swimming in money right now, so they probably feel like they can just relax.
I thought that Furudate was a man... never read Haikyuu tho so I can't say for sure.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
I never knew Haikyuu was written by a woman
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
It's not confirmed; just highly speculated.
 

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
I was taking care of my little nephew earlier, and I saw that he was reading Diary of a Wimpy Kid, and it made me realize that it would be really neat if Poro's volume covers looked like the cover of a diary. I can't believe I didn't make this connection before lol.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
"We never learn" had its best chapter in the third one. It raised in my rankings.
Now Poro and "We never learn" are tied, followed by U19. From these three, U19 is more VIZ-ish, they will most likely pick it up. "We never learn" has the lowest probability. Love Rush just failed on them and, like their public, romance is not of their taste. And we didn't even got to the famous author's series.

I will see if they pick "we never learn". I can always buy it in Japanese once the volume comes out.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
"We never learn" had its best chapter in the third one. It raised in my rankings.
Now Poro and "We never learn" are tied, followed by U19. From these three, U19 is more VIZ-ish, they will most likely pick it up. "We never learn" has the lowest probability. Love Rush just failed on them and, like their public, romance is not of their taste. And we didn't even got to the famous author's series.

I will see if they pick "we never learn". I can always buy it in Japanese once the volume comes out.
Personally I think they're going with the 3 veterans, and will add the others according to votes
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Personally I think they're going with the 3 veterans, and will add the others according to votes
Veterans are not shit proof. Same treatment for all of them should be the best, but we know manga market is not that fair.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top