Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

cue1996

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2014
Messages
68
Reaction score
99
Gender
Male
Country
United States
1. Dr. Stone
2. Poro
3. U19
4. Hungry Marie
5. We Can't Study
 

iceemperor

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 19, 2014
Messages
1,735
Reaction score
2,734
Gender
Male
Country
Casterly Rock
I read Dr.Stone 3 times and my only impression is a lukewarm one. On one hand its not bad but its not good either. There's nothing to make you connect with the characters. Taiju is a loud-mouthed guy and I have no problem with that but I neither relate to him nor am I annoyed by him. He's just there. Senkuu has even less characterization, just being Taiju's partner. I know the pair's relationship will be explained but the only good thing out of him is that at least he's not wrong about chemistry. I feel like the art sort of "hides" the mediocre parts of the first chapter. On principle, I don't read first chapters of series until there are at least 5 or so chapters so that I can understand the characters from more than one chapter but due to the huge expectations from Inagaki and Boichi I read it and I now wish I had waited a few more weeks.

The good sides are, besides the chemistry no doubt due to the collaboration from an actual scientist, but the montage showing humanity's reaction to becoming instantly fossilized. Trump's panel was a nice bonus. That montage was effective in showing what happens if you suddenly lose your senses. The survival and rebuilding civilization premise is interesting and holds promise but only if combined with proper characterization and human emotion. It has the potential to become more than just a run of the mill post apocalyptic series that are almost a dime a dozen in the industry now.

From here on is just my nitpicking but whats with the bony knees on the girl. Her thighs might have a realistic shape but they have no softness, no "health". When I first saw her introductory bust shot, the immediate thought was "Higurashi no naku Koro ni". Those eyes are borderline Bug demon. In an effort to make her cuter, Boichi instead made her almost more repulsive.
 

SkerllyFC

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2016
Messages
261
Reaction score
106
Age
31
Country
Dominican Republic
I am not a fan of how you prematurely over critique things this is a shonen manga it will always have some flaws in its logic you won't gain anything by attempting to expose it by blowing things out of proportions.
You mean that I declare a series good or bad because I said the first chapter was good/bad? This review is solely based on chapter 1.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
You mean that I declare a series good or bad because I said the first chapter was good/bad? This review is solely based on chapter 1.
Your 2 bad points seem more like nitpicks than legitimate criticisms. Especially the last point.
It's not meant to be a realistic series and never came off as trying to be completely realistic.

Saying Senkuu counting the time for thousands of years doesn't make sense is just like saying Hiruma pulling out machine guns out of thin air in Eyeshield 21 doesn't make sense. It's not suppose to be realistic.
 

Kefka Palazzo

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jan 22, 2017
Messages
134
Reaction score
66
Age
31
Country
Brazil
how can a man love a girl by thousan of years, without think in anything else?!
Maybe because he was about to confess that he loved the girl and then he got petrified? But yeah, it's stupid that the guy only thought about the girl in 3 thousand years.

@Edit:
My top series so far
1. Poro
2. Dr. Stone
From this part on I seriously don't know how to rank. The three of them are awful series. If I were to rank the mangas in this 3-5 zone in a 1 to 10 scale, I would probably give them a score equals 4 or below
3. U19
4. Bokutachi wa Benkyou ga Dekinai
5. Harapeko no Marie
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,720
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
saying Hiruma pulling out machine guns out of thin air in Eyeshield 21 doesn't make sense.
badmouthing Hiruma will not get you anywhere, be careful or you might become his loyal slave :derp.
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,720
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
Wow, Togashi and Akimoto both like KnY. But I have to say, the man with the most influence is Oda. The last time Oda said he like Your Lie in April it got a significant boost in sales.
 

Kadir0

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 26, 2016
Messages
909
Reaction score
1,475
Country
The Wall
The blonde dude (which is my favorite so far) in Dr.Stone doesn't need to go super saiyan in the future, he's already one.
 

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
I see all these rankings with Study-koi in the bottom and I'm clueless as to why. What do you all dislike so much about the series? Is it because it's a romcom? Harem? I don't see anything inherently bad about it that would warrant being in the bottom of all these rankings. Sure, it's generic, but it's pretty enjoyable for me, way better than Nisekoi was. What do you guys find wrong with it?

I feel like the art sort of "hides" the mediocre parts of the first chapter.
Yup, I can see what you mean. Good art can help you overlook an average written series and make it seem more enjoyable because it just looks better and it's nicer to look at. The opposite is true as well, a good story can make you overlook the mediocre art of a series (Mob Psycho 100 is a good example of this). Hype also plays a big factor in this. I guess because we really don't want to be disappointed so we try to make it seem better than it actually is? Who knows. All I'm sure of myself is that these series have been pretty underwhelming for me. I was expecting at least one of them to make me go "oh shit this is so great", but so far all I've felt is just some mild disappointment. Oh well, we still have RobotxLaserbeam in two weeks to look forward to.
 

xAsum0x

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
1,763
Reaction score
1,582
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I see all these rankings with Study-koi in the bottom and I'm clueless as to why. What do you all dislike so much about the series? Is it because it's a romcom? Harem? I don't see anything inherently bad about it that would warrant being in the bottom of all these rankings. Sure, it's generic, but it's pretty enjoyable for me, way better than Nisekoi was. What do you guys find wrong with it?


Yup, I can see what you mean. Good art can help you overlook an average written series and make it seem more enjoyable because it just looks better and it's nicer to look at. The opposite is true as well, a good story can make you overlook the mediocre art of a series (Mob Psycho 100 is a good example of this). Hype also plays a big factor in this. I guess because we really don't want to be disappointed so we try to make it seem better than it actually is? Who knows. All I'm sure of myself is that these series have been pretty underwhelming for me. I was expecting at least one of them to make me go "oh shit this is so great", but so far all I've felt is just some mild disappointment. Oh well, we still have RobotxLaserbeam in two weeks to look forward to.
no man, stop with this assumption that people hate romcoms. We Never Learn is just bad, bland and uninteresting. Characters are card board cut outs, story isn't even intriguing, and its just painfully generic. If you like this more power to you, but this to me just feels like a really poor mans Nisekoi.
 

Koi Kage

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2013
Messages
1,210
Reaction score
311
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I see all these rankings with Study-koi in the bottom and I'm clueless as to why. What do you all dislike so much about the series? Is it because it's a romcom? Harem? I don't see anything inherently bad about it that would warrant being in the bottom of all these rankings. Sure, it's generic, but it's pretty enjoyable for me, way better than Nisekoi was. What do you guys find wrong with it?
I don't like the series since rom/com manga's aren't my favorite genre to read, however I gave it a pretty decent ranking for someone who doesn't particularly likes the series I gave it a middle ranking which is way more then I gave to Hungry Marie.
 

justsomeguy

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Oct 12, 2016
Messages
43
Reaction score
14
Country
The Wall
For me:

1. Dr. Stone: made me want to read the next chapter
2. We Never Learn: cute girls
3. Poro: meh
4. Hungry Marie: terrible
5. U19: unreadable

This is a bad serialization round overall.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
I see all these rankings with Study-koi in the bottom and I'm clueless as to why. What do you all dislike so much about the series? Is it because it's a romcom? Harem? I don't see anything inherently bad about it that would warrant being in the bottom of all these rankings. Sure, it's generic, but it's pretty enjoyable for me, way better than Nisekoi was. What do you guys find wrong with it?
I find the first couple chapters enjoyable but typically can't get into harem. I'd much rather have a legit romance series about a couple building upon their relationship than series where the MC goes in circles with an entire cast of girls. It's not they're are inheritly bad, but I feel like you either like harem or you hate it.

I was hoping the 2 girls we're initially introduced to would be the main focus, but as soon as a 3rd girl joined the picture(and I heard the new chapter introduces a 4th girl) I expect this to be a typical harem which I'm not not a fan of
 

UnspokenCoconut

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Nov 19, 2013
Messages
51
Reaction score
45
Gender
Male
Country
Galactic Republic
I see all these rankings with Study-koi in the bottom and I'm clueless as to why. What do you all dislike so much about the series? Is it because it's a romcom? Harem? I don't see anything inherently bad about it that would warrant being in the bottom of all these rankings. Sure, it's generic, but it's pretty enjoyable for me, way better than Nisekoi was. What do you guys find wrong with it?
IMO, We Can't Study are neither bad or good series. It just sort of in the middle. For me, it ranked in the middle below Poro and U19 but above Marie and Dr. Stone respectively. The one thing about most harem/rom-com series is that it will likely have several repetitve plotlines.
 

SkerllyFC

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2016
Messages
261
Reaction score
106
Age
31
Country
Dominican Republic
Your 2 bad points seem more like nitpicks than legitimate criticisms. Especially the last point.
It's not meant to be a realistic series and never came off as trying to be completely realistic.

Saying Senkuu counting the time for thousands of years doesn't make sense is just like saying Hiruma pulling out machine guns out of thin air in Eyeshield 21 doesn't make sense. It's not suppose to be realistic.
But if a work of fiction it´s gonna have bizarre occurences, it has to have some ground in reality. No one would remember how many years have past in a situation like this even if you have conscience despite being turned into stone. I know the next chapters may bhave some ground in reality for all of its absurditties. And also, this chapter was less worldbuilding and more talking about a love confession no one cares about.

I read the first chapters of these series with the lowest of expectations. It helps me to not say something is good or bad by blind opinion(not that I say my opinion is superior to you or anyone else). This series has a better 1st chapter than Hungry Marie for some better writing, and the good art. But it dropped the ball in writing.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
I see all these rankings with Study-koi in the bottom and I'm clueless as to why. What do you all dislike so much about the series? Is it because it's a romcom? Harem? I don't see anything inherently bad about it that would warrant being in the bottom of all these rankings. Sure, it's generic, but it's pretty enjoyable for me, way better than Nisekoi was. What do you guys find wrong with it?
Despite how many good harem manga or light novels are out there, it seems that shonen jump western readers will have always a great disdain towards harem series just because they don't like it. Personally, it's the second manga that set up its premise better than the rest of the series, after Poro. The flaws are still there, but for me, those flaws are not a great deal breakers
 

Scruffy8642

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2016
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,057
Age
29
Country
Australia
I see all these rankings with Study-koi in the bottom and I'm clueless as to why. What do you all dislike so much about the series? Is it because it's a romcom? Harem? I don't see anything inherently bad about it that would warrant being in the bottom of all these rankings. Sure, it's generic, but it's pretty enjoyable for me, way better than Nisekoi was. What do you guys find wrong with it?.
I think most are just hating on it for being a shounen romance, because in general shounen romances have a TON of issues which many dislike. But they also have a large audience that doesnt care and critique them, no matter what anyone says I believe it will survive.

My ranking:
Dr Stone
Hungry Marie
Poro
We Never Learn
U19

Dr Stone could have certainly explored the terrors behind being in stone for all those years, thats my main complaint. And they showed animal evolution, but there would be almost no evolution in a mere 3000 years... unless the external source that caused the stone is also responsible.

I really want to like Poro, but it just feels so bland. It doesnt do anything poorly, but it completely lacks anything compelling me to read on, which even U19, my lowest rated of the bunch has.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
But if a work of fiction it´s gonna have bizarre occurences, it has to have some ground in reality. No one would remember how many years have past in a situation like this even if you have conscience despite being turned into stone. I know the next chapters may bhave some ground in reality for all of its absurditties. And also, this chapter was less worldbuilding and more talking about a love confession no one cares about.

I read the first chapters of these series with the lowest of expectations. It helps me to not say something is good or bad by blind opinion(not that I say my opinion is superior to you or anyone else). This series has a better 1st chapter than Hungry Marie for some better writing, and the good art. But it dropped the ball in writing.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Like I said, I think you're taking the fact that character is able to keep track of time for thousands of years way too seriously. You're suppose to believe that he's just THAT intelligent.

Have you ever heard of the show Dexter's Lab. It's about an 8 year old kid who's so smart he has a lab and tech more sophisticated than the US Military. Obviously it's not realistic or believable, but it makes sense in its own little world. Same here with Dr. Stone.
 

IHateAsta

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2016
Messages
81
Reaction score
60
Age
30
Country
United Arab Emirates
I really liked Dr.Stone 1st chapter , it being a survival story is enough for me to like it.
So far :
Dr.Stone
U19
Hungry Marie
Poro
We never learn
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Neuro appeared in latest episode of AssClass chibi anime, not just an easter egg, he had a role and a voice actor

him appearing on the show made me realize I don't know which Matsui's work I liked more

this post is done I don't need to add anything on it but I enjoy seeing this thread go "REEEEEEE"

so there you go:


remember guys he went to Japan he know his stuff, he's an expert
when Yonkou bitch slapped him with the fact about Isobee ranking he flipflopped so hard it's almost legendary
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top