Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

G_I_A

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
401
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Yeah I think the "rock parts" can mean something. There's also something similar to a "bomb"(?) in the colorspread in the hand of Senkuu.
 

Doughboy

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 1, 2016
Messages
4,482
Reaction score
8,341
Country
United States
I have a feeling the antagonists are gonna be like superhuman apes or something. Like Caesar from Planet of the Apes. How he was smart as hell lol.
 

G_I_A

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
401
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I think that the other boy petrified is going to be one of the antagonists.
 

Newkerzy

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 22, 2008
Messages
7,561
Reaction score
5,412
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
My main problem with Dr. Stone is that in over 3000 years the 2 MCs and the girl didn't shatter. Everyone shattered because of the tsunami, but not these 3. When Taiju woke up everyone around him lost multiple limbs, but he and Senkuu are still intact.
Pretty much what I was thinking. World-building wise, the story aced it. But circumstances surrounding the MCs seems to be too contrived IMO. That's the only thing that stopped me from giving it a perfect ten. That, and another reason. (More below)

Dr. Stone was the best first chapter of the new bunch so far. Not as in it being amazing but in being terrifying. The thought of the entire human race suddenly "end" and then the sudden part actually being ALIVE but unable to move, to see, to hear, to talk, to feel, JUST able to think that's pure horror! I had once an experience, sleep paralysis, where I was unable to move or do anything for quite some time and damn was that scary! It was so great to be able to move again and that was just after a couple minutes, so mad respect to those two insane teens to stay sane for thousands of years.

What really got me was the three panels with the puppy running around its little owner, crying and whimpering and all alone in the rain. A fate millions of dogs and other pets shared, slowly starving to death, next to their stone-cold owners and no matter what they did they never came back to them. Man, that was so sad, thinking of my own dog, being all left behind by my family, not understanding what just happened and unable to leave our sides because it is either too loyal or closed inside the house.
Same with watching all those broken human statues, all of them beings who just disappeared into the "darkness", something that seems to have happened to not only humans but birds before as well. All of them breaking and falling apart, most of them died alone, confused and scared, a really terrible end...

I like the two MCs it got with Senkuu the insane scientists who is also 10 billion times sure whenever it comes to his friend and the big Oaf who is too stubborn to just drop dead and die when he still has to tell his beloved that he loves her. His confession how he loved her for thousand for years and how it kept him alive was really well-done, those two had only one chapter and they were already more romantic than most finished romance mangas in Jump had been the past years!

So those two, possible soon three and up, will restart civilization meaning this is a manga about the technical evolution of man with the two's end goal to create a modern lab to find the source for this stone curse and create a cure for it. Those two wanna cramp the entire time it took humankind to evolve from stoneage to modern age in like what, two years? Damn, they are insane! I love it! xD

As for the stone curse I expect humans to be behind it, I also expect that other humans survived whatever this was, an accident, a test, a terror attack as NotTrump thought before he died. But I dunno if those were humans like Senkuu and Big Oaf or humans hiding in some sort of bunker thus either creating a future modern humankind or a apocalyptic one. In any case those two will face some opposition and it won't be just nature and animals alone as over time that would get boring having only two humans, or later 3-4+, for dozens or hundreds of chapters depending on how long this is going to run. And my guess is that this one is going to run for a long time.

Edit: Oh yeah, I forgot. That ending with the "We'll become the Adam and Eve of this Stone Age"; was I the only one who asked himself "So who of you two gonna be the bottom?". XD
Yeah, it's the sheer scope of terror that got to me. And I would've liked Taiju, this happy-go-lucky, stubborn oaf to have actually realized the sheer horror of what actually happened. But without dwelling on it too much. Giving him a brief breakdown would actually give him a bit more depth in my eyes. It would give him this characterization that he's fearful, yet at the same time hopeful and optimistic for the future.

And yes, the fujobait is friggin obvious.
 

xAsum0x

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
1,763
Reaction score
1,582
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Nah I'm thinking it's gonna be purely science and not powers, can't explain the lines on their faces tho
 

G_I_A

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
401
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Nah I'm thinking it's gonna be purely science and not powers, can't explain the lines on their faces tho
Maybe they have a time limit to "cure themselves" or something. I'm assuming that they are not breaking the "outer shell only" but from inside as well.
 

UnspokenCoconut

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Nov 19, 2013
Messages
51
Reaction score
45
Gender
Male
Country
Galactic Republic
I think Dr. Stone 1st chapter was quite weak. The art alone is good but the character design just meh. However, Boichi can draw a really good face expression, I give you that. But the story in this first chapter itself, just kinda boring. The world and mysteries surrounding it are interesting. But this chapter focus more about "I want to confess my love to her" rather than building up those two things. For me, Poro and U19 have much better 1st chapter.

Will see how next chapter will turn up. But IF both MC just stay kinda bland and one of them will never shut-up about his love, I think even a great art can't save this one.
 

Koi Kage

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2013
Messages
1,210
Reaction score
311
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Do you guys think there's powers of some sort or strictly science based?
I don't think Senkuu will have any powers other than science, Teiju is up in the air at this point if he will receive powers or not. I personally hope Inagaki doesn't give the people powers make it a pure survival adventure it give more impact to the story in my opinion.

Nah I'm thinking it's gonna be purely science and not powers, can't explain the lines on their faces tho
I would like to think that the lines on their face is a mark where their stone bodies got cracked. It could also be the reason they got free an imperfect petrification, though that maybe stretching a bit.
 

xAsum0x

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
1,763
Reaction score
1,582
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I don't think Senkuu will have any powers other than science, Teiju is up in the air at this point if he will receive powers or not. I personally hope Inagaki doesn't give the people powers make it a pure survival adventure it give more impact to the story in my opinion.


I would like to think that the lines on their face is a mark where their stone bodies got cracked. It could also be the reason they got free an imperfect petrification, though that maybe stretching a bit.
Was thinking the same thing but I'm not sure
 

Kadir0

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 26, 2016
Messages
909
Reaction score
1,475
Country
The Wall
I got goosebumps at the end of Hungry Marie, can't wait how Marie fits in Taiga's life.

About Doctor Stone, somehow the art and the writing seem not to fit each other, but nevertheless I liked the chapter and looking forward to the next.
 

xAsum0x

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
1,763
Reaction score
1,582
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I got goosebumps at the end of Hungry Marie, can't wait how Marie fits in Taiga's life.

About Doctor Stone, somehow the art and the writing seem not to fit each other, but nevertheless I liked the chapter and looking forward to the next.
They fit perfectly actually.
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
Senkuu reminded me too much of Heiji from Hungry Joker which puts a bad taste in my mouth.
Still pretty good though, loved the fear factor that others have mentioned.

Still like Hungry Marie the best though.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
Liked Dr. Stone a lot. Didn't care much for chapter 2 of Hungry Marie
 

Kefka Palazzo

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jan 22, 2017
Messages
134
Reaction score
66
Age
31
Country
Brazil
Reading the chapter again by Jaimini's. Those weird lines on the MC's eyes appeared in the place where he started to crack when petrified. Also, do you guys think that Shishiou Tsukasa will be relevant to the story?
 

Mawara

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Feb 22, 2015
Messages
210
Reaction score
234
Gender
Female
Country
Germany
I got goosebumps at the end of Hungry Marie, can't wait how Marie fits in Taiga's life.

About Doctor Stone, somehow the art and the writing seem not to fit each other, but nevertheless I liked the chapter and looking forward to the next.
Thank you, that is also my problem with this chapter. I dont know, it is the end of humankind, millions of people die and it looks, of course I'm speaking for myself now, very "bright". I dont mean, the art looks "bad", because it doesnt. But the dark & heavy moment didnt really hit me, while reading this. The presentation didnt work for me in that moment. It still looked too "bright" for lack of a better term. It didnt convey the weight for me.
And I know it's more nitpickey and I understand, when other people dont feel like this. It just didnt work for me, though I am curious about the mystery & its potential so far.
 

ElJin

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Feb 4, 2015
Messages
334
Reaction score
241
Age
28
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I just read Dr. Stone and... I don't know. I'll read the second chapter, of course, but I can't say I really liked the first one. Tenkuu's love by the girl sounds forced to me, how can a man love a girl by thousan of years, without think in anything else?! Hahahauha. But well, nice art, I'll continue my reading. So far, my ranking of the new series is:

1 - Bokutachi wa benkyou ga dekinai!
2 - Poro
3 - U19
4 - Dr. Stone
5 - Harapeko no Marie
 

SkerllyFC

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2016
Messages
261
Reaction score
106
Age
31
Country
Dominican Republic
I just read Dr. Stone and... I don't know. I'll read the second chapter, of course, but I can't say I really liked the first one. Tenkuu's love by the girl sounds forced to me, how can a man love a girl by thousan of years, without think in anything else?! Hahahauha. But well, nice art, I'll continue my reading. So far, my ranking of the new series is:

1 - Bokutachi wa benkyou ga dekinai!
2 - Poro
3 - U19
4 - Dr. Stone
5 - Harapeko no Marie
Hey, we have the same ranking of the new series. You read my mind. Only that I rank DR Stone in 3 and U19 on 4

My opinion about Dr Stone is:

GOOD

  • Boichi´s art is as good in this Jump series as it is normally on his other works. Specially the color pages, which look more like HQ wallpapers. And is good in B/W too, with the rough look, with thick lines.
MIXED

  • The panelling is a little bit complicated. The contrasts sometimes make a panel not understandable.
BAD

  • For as much as you say "this manga will be a smash hit, it has two good veterans", that´s bullshit once you have an entire chapter bugged down by a stupid love confession plot that seemed to be more important for the writer than the worldbuilding itself.

  • And who the heck can believe that a teen turned into stone could count how many years have passed? Or how could a couple of humans be alive after so many years? Some plausibility had to be thrown out of the window. If this was a silly work, it would be good. But it´s playing it straight, so no.
It´s better than the garbage of Hungry Marie, and the art is pleasing in color, but this 1st chapter wasted its interesting premise on something that wasn´t the establishment of this new world the characters are living in. I think the next chapter will be better, but this is not that good of an impression for the first chapter.
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,721
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
Of course there is a topless stone girl on the first page of dr. Stone haha. Boichi will probably go insane of Inugaki doesn't let him draw female characters.
 

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
I just read Dr. Stone and... I don't know. I'll read the second chapter, of course, but I can't say I really liked the first one. Tenkuu's love by the girl sounds forced to me, how can a man love a girl by thousan of years, without think in anything else?! Hahahauha. But well, nice art, I'll continue my reading. So far, my ranking of the new series is:

1 - Bokutachi wa benkyou ga dekinai!
2 - Poro
3 - U19
4 - Dr. Stone
5 - Harapeko no Marie
Pretty much agree with this, although I haven't read U19 yet, so I can't really rank it. Hungry Marie is just... I don't know, just disappointing.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
I think Inugaki meshes better with Murata than he does Boichi based on chapter 1, but Boichi is still cool
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top