Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koi Kage

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2013
Messages
1,210
Reaction score
311
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Yeah...Hungry Marie isn't going to be around long if the way this chapter's any indication of that. Plot came to a screeching halt, at least the way I see it, I like dialogue heavy chapters as much as the next person so long as they actually contribute anything to the chapter to which almost all of the dialogue here did not.

Black Clover was actually pretty good this week: Asta still under control, pretty cool suspense on certain pages( to me at least), and we got some good incite into Vanessa's new power. We also learned from the last few chapters that there are some magics Asta can't negate so he's not as OP as some claim, or rather his power is still strong against some of the magics but not all of them.
 

SkerllyFC

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2016
Messages
261
Reaction score
106
Age
31
Country
Dominican Republic
Far from defending Hungry Joker, which is trash, but uou guys are talking about Dr.Stone as if it is a masterpiece and Riichiro Inagaki as if he was a genius. His most famous work is Eyeshield 21, which is not, for the best of my knowledge, not science fiction, so his talent regarding this genre is unknown, it can be good or trash. Art doesn't make the story good as well, Air Gear and To Love Ru are there as proof.
That´s why I say that I don´t care about veterans until they prove they´re making a good thing. I didn´t like Hungry Marie´s 1st chapter, but the majority of people love it just because. I hope Dr. Stone doesn´t do the same as Hungry Marie
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Yeah...Hungry Marie isn't going to be around long if the way this chapter's any indication of that. Plot came to a screeching halt, at least the way I see it, I like dialogue heavy chapters as much as the next person so long as they actually contribute anything to the chapter to which almost all of the dialogue here did not.

Black Clover was actually pretty good this week: Asta still under control, pretty cool suspense on certain pages( to me at least), and we got some good incite into Vanessa's new power. We also learned from the last few chapters that there are some magics Asta can't negate so he's not as OP as some claim, or rather his power is still strong against some of the magics but not all of them.
This confirms more and more that Tabat wanted to have successful series, not one with carefully planned argument that anyone can enjoy
 

Pietro

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2012
Messages
2,405
Reaction score
818
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
I really hope most of all Poro,dr. Stone and Ryuhei tamura new series are great success.
I was kinda disappointed when they rushed Hungry joker. This is the revenge
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
That´s why I say that I don´t care about veterans until they prove they´re making a good thing. I didn´t like Hungry Marie´s 1st chapter, but the majority of people love it just because. I hope Dr. Stone doesn´t do the same as Hungry Marie
Yes, we already had this conversation and people forget. Veterans are not good thing assurance. People think that they have a deeper understanding of what makes success in Jump and all that, but this is bullshit, the editors in Jump are there FOR YEARS and they don't know what makes success.
Hungry Marie was a disappointment and I didn't even expect anything from Tamura since I think Beelzebub was not that great besides the tissue arc.
They can be veterans, but new series means reboot, they don't know whether it will make success. Besides their name, which can go down very quickly if the series is trash, they have nothing that new authors don't have.
 

xAsum0x

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
1,763
Reaction score
1,582
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Does it matter whether or not he's done a science fiction series before? The fact that Eyeshield had a great story and great side characters already gives me reassurance.
 

Scruffy8642

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2016
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,057
Age
29
Country
Australia
Far from defending Hungry Joker, which is trash, but uou guys are talking about Dr.Stone as if it is a masterpiece and Riichiro Inagaki as if he was a genius. His most famous work is Eyeshield 21, which is not, for the best of my knowledge, not science fiction, so his talent regarding this genre is unknown, it can be good or trash. Art doesn't make the story good as well, Air Gear and To Love Ru are there as proof.
It's certainly not a masterpiece, the first chapter at least. But it was waay better done than it's competition (or any series since Neverland) imo at least. None of these series have had particularly good first chapters, so in that regard at leas,t I think it's better.

Hungry Marie Ch 2 was nice, think I enjoyed it more than the first. Still gonna take some time to get it's self up and running though. Comedy still pales compared to Beelzebub, but it has some chuckle moments.
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
I thought Marie second chapter was really funny and better than chapter 1

seems to be going the Ranma 1/2 route which I really dig
 

Kave

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2016
Messages
218
Reaction score
341
Country
Thailand
Estimated Sales (Oricon + Weekly POS)

24 days:

110,328 Yakusoku no Neverland 2
*47,059 Hinomaru Zumou 13

58 days:

407,880 Shokugeki no Souma 22
288,921 Gintama 67
242,817 Toriko 43
171,039 World's End Harem 2
139,474 Saiki Kusuo no Ψ-nan 19

87 days:

819,643 Haikyuu!! 24
356,525 Boruto: Naruto Next Generations 2
348,113 World Trigger 17
188,653 Black Clover 9
146,549 Yakusoku no Neverland 1
*86,256 Kimetsu no Yaiba 4
Might as well post this
Feb 20 - Feb 26

15,449 *,110,328 Yakusoku no Neverland 2
13,447 2,676,422 One Piece 83
13,161 *,146,549 Yakusoku no Neverland 1
*6,027 *,819,643 Haikyuu!! 24
*5,985 *,171,039 World's End Harem 2
*5,645 2,628,339 One Piece 82
*5,602 *,*86,256 Kimetsu no Yaiba 4
*5,135 *,407,880 Shokugeki no Souma 22
*4,946 *,205,899 World's End Harem 1
*4,621 *,356,525 Boruto: Naruto Next Generations 2
*4,504 *,548,897 Boku no Hero Academia 11
*4,387 *,288,921 Gintama 67
*3,466 *,*47,059 Hinomaru Zumou 13
*3,382 *,242,817 Toriko 43
*3,277 *,579,026 Boku no Hero Academia 10
*3,252 *,188,653 Black Clover 9
*3,172 2,743,037 One Piece 81
*3,067 *,893,751 Haikyuu!! 23
*3,015 *,139,474 Saiki Kusuo no Ψ-nan 19
*2,230 *,449,806 Shokugeki no Souma 21
*2,215 *,348,113 World Trigger 17
 

Kefka Palazzo

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jan 22, 2017
Messages
134
Reaction score
66
Age
31
Country
Brazil
I'll admit, G_I_A, I thought you were exaggerating, but Dr. Stone really is the best one so far. BOICHI is based god.
 

Nakura

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
1,564
Reaction score
2,181
Age
30
Country
Ireland
Dr. Stone is my favourite so far. Concept in interesting, and the art is very good(although I worry about Boichi being able to handle all this work). Good start.
 

G_I_A

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
401
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I'll admit, G_I_A, I thought you were exaggerating, but Dr. Stone really is the best one so far. BOICHI is based god.
Hell Yeah. But what really catches the eye is the difference in art from Origin or other of his series... Take a look at this page from last week's Origin and see how different it is from Dr. Stone:

 

xAsum0x

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
1,763
Reaction score
1,582
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Is there a reason them two became unpetrified and not other?
 

Koi Kage

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2013
Messages
1,210
Reaction score
311
Gender
Male
Country
United States
The art is great I'll give Dr. Stone that much the story is great also, but the writting however leaves much to be desired, I my opinion that is. I'm not sure if this is Inagaki's writing style or not, since I haven't gotten around to reading Eyesheild 21 yet, but it's not appealing to me as a new reader of his work(Inagaki is a man right?). The writing almost makes Taiju feel like he's way more muscle the brain which I think is a bit redundant given the manga's title.

On a separate note are both Taiju and Senkuu the MC or is it just Taiju that point wasn't really made clear to me. Also does anyone else think Senkuu is going to be an antagonist in the future?

Is there a reason them two became unpetrified and not other?
No it wasn't stated
 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
It was pretty strange but definitely the best of the bunch. Cage of Eden is probably something I'd compare this to and yes Bouichi's art is great (still can't draw women though) so its worth reading just that alone. Now to see how readers take to it.
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
haven't read it yet, but will do it soon

does anyone have Viz version of the cover?
 

Kefka Palazzo

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jan 22, 2017
Messages
134
Reaction score
66
Age
31
Country
Brazil
Is there a reason them two became unpetrified and not other?
They didn't said anything in chapter one, but it should be because they were kinda conscious.
 

Nakura

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
1,564
Reaction score
2,181
Age
30
Country
Ireland
Is there a reason them two became unpetrified and not other?
I guess it's implied that they had a stronger will to stay awake or something. Therefore, eventually making them able to escape. Im sure it'll be explained.
 

xAsum0x

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
1,763
Reaction score
1,582
Gender
Male
Country
United States
You can definitely tell Inagaki wrote it because of how over the top it is. Which now that I think about it, Boichi fits well
 

Pietro

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2012
Messages
2,405
Reaction score
818
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
I loved the Donald trump reference in Sr. Stone.:teehee:teehee
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top