Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

xAsum0x

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
1,763
Reaction score
1,582
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Crazy hair kid is definitely Hiruma
 

Doughboy

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 1, 2016
Messages
4,482
Reaction score
8,341
Country
United States
It was pretty strange but definitely the best of the bunch. Cage of Eden is probably something I'd compare this to and yes Bouichi's art is great (still can't draw women though) so its worth reading just that alone. Now to see how readers take to it.
Thought the same thing. How do the dudes look dope as hell but the girl looks like she's still in the rough draft phase? But yeah I agree with you guys, Dr. Stone deff the best one. It is sorta of a love story in a way but it seems it's gonna be more adventure. So this, We Never Learn, Hungry Marie I'll follow.
 

TotalEconomist

For the Empire!
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 16, 2015
Messages
4,312
Reaction score
3,702
Age
35
Gender
Female
Country
United Nations
So Dr. Stone is good on it's own merit, but I was sold with petrified Donald Trump. I love relevant series like this one.
 

Newkerzy

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 22, 2008
Messages
7,561
Reaction score
5,412
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
Dr. Stone is my favourite so far. Concept in interesting, and the art is very good(although I worry about Boichi being able to handle all this work). Good start.
Pretty much. Though he can't draw women for shit like someone said here. I would've kinda liked it a bit more if it went a little psychological a bit for a moment. Taiju's fun, but somehow comes across as kinda bland for an MC. If we had a kind of reaction where he starts puking because of the horrors that happened in the past millenia, that would give a nice sense of realism to his character.

But of course, him wallowing in despair wouldn't be right. All he had to do is get his balls straight after that.
 

G_I_A

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
401
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
This "woman" seems fine to me:
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
It's certainly not a masterpiece, the first chapter at least. But it was waay better done than it's competition (or any series since Neverland) imo at least. None of these series have had particularly good first chapters, so in that regard at leas,t I think it's better.

Hungry Marie Ch 2 was nice, think I enjoyed it more than the first. Still gonna take some time to get it's self up and running though. Comedy still pales compared to Beelzebub, but it has some chuckle moments.
Well, let's see, for both them, I will read only Monday.

And I had to finish reading this week issue before confirming, but Poro second chapter got the first position in my ranking to the poll. I think it was the first since ever that I enjoy a new series to this extent.
 

xAsum0x

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
1,763
Reaction score
1,582
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Pretty sure Senkuus the mc
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
ok, read the chapter, this is my favorite new series by far
 

G_I_A

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
401
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
ok, read the chapter, this is my favorite new series by far
It's a miracle! Mammo is agreeing with me on something. We will all be turned into stone.
 

SkerllyFC

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2016
Messages
261
Reaction score
106
Age
31
Country
Dominican Republic
Hungry Marie chapter 2: Seriously, what kind of comedy is this trying to use? Worded? Visual? Physical? If he used the three, none of them make me laugh at all. Still the drawings are bland, and the supposed fight scene lacks any sense of fun or interesting. No characterization to be found, so the characters are still as bland as in chap. 1. And like U19, it´s gonna be in the 3rd chapter where we´re going to find out any plot development. SIGH. And this is supposed to be a Romance. Action. Comedy? These are the earlier chapters, so I can´t judge on how the series is gonna be, but this to me is pretty bland.
 

xAsum0x

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
1,763
Reaction score
1,582
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I can see like others waking up and being power hungry trying to rule. Maybe evolved animals also?
 

Koi Kage

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2013
Messages
1,210
Reaction score
311
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I can see like others waking up and being power hungry trying to rule. Maybe evolved animals also?
I could see that possible happening, though I hope that Inagaki doesn't turn the antagonist(s) into a Legend of Zelda/Xenoblade/Monster Hunter boss fight rip-off

I'm probably in the minority here, but I was kind of disappointed by this first chapter. The art is amazing (except for the girl), but I can't find anything amazing about the writing. 3000 years later and the animals are the same? Hope we see some evolution of the wildlife. Honestly, I was expecting some sort of battle shounen, and I'm not really interested in "rebuilding humanity". I hope it focuses more on action and adventure than that rebuilding humanity thing. I'm probably just being pessimistic.
I'm in the minority also since I agree that the writing is bad
 
Last edited:

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
I'm probably in the minority here, but I was kind of disappointed by this first chapter. The art is amazing (except for the girl), but I can't find anything amazing about the writing. 3000 years later and the animals are the same? Hope we see some evolution of the wildlife. Honestly, I was expecting some sort of battle shounen, and I'm not really interested in "rebuilding humanity". I hope it focuses more on action and adventure than that rebuilding humanity thing. I'm probably just being pessimistic.
 

xAsum0x

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
1,763
Reaction score
1,582
Gender
Male
Country
United States
The whole "keeping your consciousness alive for 1000s of years without going insane" was kinda off putting but I just came to the fact that it's Inagaki he has an exaggerated writing style so I'm ok with it. Plus it's shonen nothing makes sense
 

ShenGao

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Feb 13, 2015
Messages
4,503
Reaction score
6,604
Country
Germany
My main problem with Dr. Stone is that in over 3000 years the 2 MCs and the girl didn't shatter. Everyone shattered because of the tsunami, but not these 3. When Taiju woke up everyone around him lost multiple limbs, but he and Senkuu are still intact.
 

James Rye

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 18, 2014
Messages
2,019
Reaction score
6,506
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Dr. Stone was the best first chapter of the new bunch so far. Not as in it being amazing but in being terrifying. The thought of the entire human race suddenly "end" and then the sudden part actually being ALIVE but unable to move, to see, to hear, to talk, to feel, JUST able to think that's pure horror! I had once an experience, sleep paralysis, where I was unable to move or do anything for quite some time and damn was that scary! It was so great to be able to move again and that was just after a couple minutes, so mad respect to those two insane teens to stay sane for thousands of years.

What really got me was the three panels with the puppy running around its little owner, crying and whimpering and all alone in the rain. A fate millions of dogs and other pets shared, slowly starving to death, next to their stone-cold owners and no matter what they did they never came back to them. Man, that was so sad, thinking of my own dog, being all left behind by my family, not understanding what just happened and unable to leave our sides because it is either too loyal or closed inside the house.
Same with watching all those broken human statues, all of them beings who just disappeared into the "darkness", something that seems to have happened to not only humans but birds before as well. All of them breaking and falling apart, most of them died alone, confused and scared, a really terrible end...

I like the two MCs it got with Senkuu the insane scientists who is also 10 billion times sure whenever it comes to his friend and the big Oaf who is too stubborn to just drop dead and die when he still has to tell his beloved that he loves her. His confession how he loved her for thousand for years and how it kept him alive was really well-done, those two had only one chapter and they were already more romantic than most finished romance mangas in Jump had been the past years!

So those two, possible soon three and up, will restart civilization meaning this is a manga about the technical evolution of man with the two's end goal to create a modern lab to find the source for this stone curse and create a cure for it. Those two wanna cramp the entire time it took humankind to evolve from stoneage to modern age in like what, two years? Damn, they are insane! I love it! xD

As for the stone curse I expect humans to be behind it, I also expect that other humans survived whatever this was, an accident, a test, a terror attack as NotTrump thought before he died. But I dunno if those were humans like Senkuu and Big Oaf or humans hiding in some sort of bunker thus either creating a future modern humankind or a apocalyptic one. In any case those two will face some opposition and it won't be just nature and animals alone as over time that would get boring having only two humans, or later 3-4+, for dozens or hundreds of chapters depending on how long this is going to run. And my guess is that this one is going to run for a long time.

Edit: Oh yeah, I forgot. That ending with the "We'll become the Adam and Eve of this Stone Age"; was I the only one who asked himself "So who of you two gonna be the bottom?". XD
 

Kefka Palazzo

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jan 22, 2017
Messages
134
Reaction score
66
Age
31
Country
Brazil
Curious thing is that two birds were petrified before the light appear, and when the light petrified the humans, the animals stayed normal. The manga really have potential.

Also, about the whole "petrified for years" thing, this made me remember Kars and Magent Magent from JoJo.
 

xAsum0x

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
1,763
Reaction score
1,582
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Do you guys think there's powers of some sort or strictly science based?
 

ShenGao

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Feb 13, 2015
Messages
4,503
Reaction score
6,604
Country
Germany
There will be powers. Teiju and Senkuu got these weird eye lines after breaking free. Maybe hardening limbs or turning other things to stone.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top