Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

vampire killer

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 3, 2011
Messages
802
Reaction score
465
Gender
Male
Country
Bulgaria
Hinomaru zumou sales are better than the 90% of dc/Marvel volume sales un usa...
Get outside ask someone who the fat sumo guy is. Then ask who magnito or batman is.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
Hinomaru zumou sales are better than the 90% of dc/Marvel volume sales un usa...
collected volumes aren't as popular here in the US because we sell chapter individually. Some of the less popular heroes sell around 20-40Kish per chapter. So overall most marvel and DC heroes sell more
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
so I was thinking about Hori's scribbles from last week

if he was so sick he couldn't draw properly why didn't one of his assistants step up to finish up the chapter? it was only a couple of panels it shouldn't be that hard to finish them

and it's not like his art is inimitable, if you read the oneshots that was released by his assistants it's almost like it was drawn by Hori himself

what good the assistants are if they're not gonna help you in emergency situations like this?

maybe it's a mangaka's pride thing and "I must do it all by my own" attitude? although again it was just a couple of small panels so even if someone else did them it wouldn't take any credit from him

mmmmhmmmm :s
 

iceemperor

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 19, 2014
Messages
1,735
Reaction score
2,734
Gender
Male
Country
Casterly Rock
so I was thinking about Hori's scribbles from last week

if he was so sick he couldn't draw properly why didn't one of his assistants step up to finish up the chapter? it was only a couple of panels it shouldn't be that hard to finish them

and it's not like his art is inimitable, if you read the oneshots that was released by his assistants it's almost like it was drawn by Hori himself

what good the assistants are if they're not gonna help you in emergency situations like this?

maybe it's a mangaka's pride thing and "I must do it all by my own" attitude? although again it was just a couple of small panels so even if someone else did them it wouldn't take any credit from him

mmmmhmmmm :s
That same thing can be said for Togashi and the reason is also probably the same as Togashi's. Assistants simply make the production easier and more manageable. The actual art is probably a point of pride. Konomi of Prince of Tennis has this thing where his assistants will color the jersey's of the players but the one thing he will never give up is coloring the skin of the characters. His former assistant surmised that it might be a point of pride. Oda's "draw everything that moves" is also something like this.
 

Kefka Palazzo

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jan 22, 2017
Messages
134
Reaction score
66
Age
31
Country
Brazil
so I was thinking about Hori's scribbles from last week

if he was so sick he couldn't draw properly why didn't one of his assistants step up to finish up the chapter? it was only a couple of panels it shouldn't be that hard to finish them

and it's not like his art is inimitable, if you read the oneshots that was released by his assistants it's almost like it was drawn by Hori himself

what good the assistants are if they're not gonna help you in emergency situations like this?

maybe it's a mangaka's pride thing and "I must do it all by my own" attitude? although again it was just a couple of small panels so even if someone else did them it wouldn't take any credit from him

mmmmhmmmm :s
Maybe they got behind schedule. We'll never know. Mangaka should be more transparent about their working conditions imo
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
he has an a chief assistant, those guys job is to make sure everything is going smoothly, so it's probably a pride thing

anyway, kinda wondering since we are not getting a new series next week will Edited Manga groups do Yagi's oneshot instead?

Claymore was very popular and if I remember correctly Mangastream used to scanlate it

also Viz should do it, they love shilling Claymore volumes, here's a golden opportunity for them to shill it without feeling out of place
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Claymore got out of hand by the end of the series, but I really liked the series overall. Gonna read the oneshot if VIZ translate it.
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,720
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
I still don't know how I feel about We Never Learn. If It got cancelled I wouldn't miss it too much, but if it survives then I will continue reading it. Reddit's reaction would be hilarious though.

Perhaps the biggest difference between WNL and Nisekoi is that I read Nisekoi when it had about 100+ chapters, while I follow WNL since chapter 1. The comedy between the two gangs members are funnier.

The characters' design are cute but so far their personality is nothing impressive.

One positive thing would be no childhood promised, love interest so far.

But I have to say, this might appeal to the old Nisekoi fan as well as his spin off stuffs (which mostly consist of Nisekoi-fan).
 
Last edited:

Xzone

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 2, 2014
Messages
888
Reaction score
698
Gender
Male
Country
Isle of Man
collected volumes aren't as popular here in the US because we sell chapter individually. Some of the less popular heroes sell around 20-40Kish per chapter. So overall most marvel and DC heroes sell more
Usually, the individually issues are less stable than volume one,that's because the first issue(and the other,but a first issue are the Best case)have special edition with alternative cover.You can saw that's with the bendis's iron man run.
Also ,series like Thor or dick grayson sold in the 30k range
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I still don't know how I feel about We Never Learn. If It got cancelled I wouldn't miss it too much, but if it survives then I will continue reading it. Reddit's reaction would be hilarious though.

Perhaps the biggest difference between WNL and Nisekoi is that I read Nisekoi when it had about 100+ chapters, while I follow WNL since chapter 1. The comedy between the two gangs members are funnier.

The characters' design are cute but so far their personality is nothing impressive.

One positive thing would be no childhood promised, love interest so far.

But I have to say, this might appeal to the old Nisekoi fan as well as his spin off stuffs (which mostly consist of Nisekoi-fan).
I'm not sure about that... Nisekoi first three chapters were a blast, it captivated me immediately (and the love lasts until now). We never learn, on the other hand, has an okay first chapter, a bad second chapter and a good third chapter so far. The girls are not as enjoyable as Nisekoi girls by far. The protagonist in We Never Learn may be a bit better than Raku, but it doesn't matter much in romance, the girls matter.
Maybe I can buy the first volume just to read more chapters and see, but if VIZ pick it, which I doubt, it will be much better.
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,720
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
I'm not sure about that... Nisekoi first three chapters were a blast, it captivated me immediately (and the love lasts until now). We never learn, on the other hand, has an okay first chapter, a bad second chapter and a good third chapter so far. The girls are not as enjoyable as Nisekoi girls by far. The protagonist in We Never Learn may be a bit better than Raku, but it doesn't matter much in romance, the girls matter.
Maybe I can buy the first volume just to read more chapters and see, but if VIZ pick it, which I doubt, it will be much better.
eh you just repeat what I said (or were you referring to my last sentence?), if you were then ignore this sentence.
 

Tanzo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 1, 2016
Messages
1,555
Reaction score
3,766
Country
United States
According to the latest chapter, Gintama will be absent next issue for Sorachi to "collect data".

 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,720
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
^ Nintendo Switch Syndrome
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
I still don't know how I feel about We Never Learn. If It got cancelled I wouldn't miss it too much, but if it survives then I will continue reading it. Reddit's reaction would be hilarious though.

Perhaps the biggest difference between WNL and Nisekoi is that I read Nisekoi when it had about 100+ chapters, while I follow WNL since chapter 1. The comedy between the two gangs members are funnier.

The characters' design are cute but so far their personality is nothing impressive.

One positive thing would be no childhood promised, love interest so far.

But I have to say, this might appeal to the old Nisekoi fan as well as his spin off stuffs (which mostly consist of Nisekoi-fan).
it inherited Nisekoi fandom alright

with only 5 chapters it's by far the most hated WSJ title on 2ch

it worth mentioning that despite 2ch's hate that didn't stop Nisekoi from being the longest romcom in Jump's history

According to the latest chapter, Gintama will be absent next issue for Sorachi to "collect data".

According to the latest chapter, Gintama will be absent next issue for Sorachi to "collect banana

ftfy
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
Usually, the individually issues are less stable than volume one,that's because the first issue(and the other,but a first issue are the Best case)have special edition with alternative cover.You can saw that's with the bendis's iron man run.
Also ,series like Thor or dick grayson sold in the 30k range
Yeah. But I doubt HZ sells more than the majority of DC and Marvel comics. Especially DC since they just launched their Rebirth line. Almost every DC title makes the top 20 every week. And in Summer alone DCs entire line up had combined sales of 12 Million which is huge in a 3 month span
 

iceemperor

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 19, 2014
Messages
1,735
Reaction score
2,734
Gender
Male
Country
Casterly Rock
it inherited Nisekoi fandom alright

with only 5 chapters it's by far the most hated WSJ title on 2ch
What threads are you looking at? The reactions I've seen so far are basically lukewarm. Its not well received but not bad either. Poro on the other hand is a different story. Although it should be noted that 2ch is excessively pessimistic and at least half of the posters are trolls that cannot get over stuff they read first and excessively beat down on new series saying its horrible without giving reasons beyond the generic "Its Boring", "Hurry up and end!", etc.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
2017 and there is still people who take 2ch seriously.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top