Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koi Kage

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2013
Messages
1,210
Reaction score
311
Gender
Male
Country
United States
On the contrary, some people have pointed out that MHA's pacing is incredibly fast, sometimes too fast, even. Heck we even got an ultra-super-large-last-boss battle even before we reached the 100th chapter. So I think this is a good change of pace.
Slowing the pace down is fine and all, but this chapter felt slower then it probably needed to be
 

Newkerzy

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 22, 2008
Messages
7,560
Reaction score
5,411
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
Slowing the pace down is fine and all, but this chapter felt slower then it probably needed to be
I don't think so. I feel the pacing is just right for now. I think things should be picking up quite a bit after this, if Horikoshi's tendencies are anything to go by.
 

ShenGao

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Feb 13, 2015
Messages
4,503
Reaction score
6,604
Country
Germany
BC had a pretty good end to the arc this week. We got major plot progression with who invented Asta's swords, the story behind the recent Demon God revealed a few chapters ago, and the possible motives behind the White night demon eye group.
I thought the ending to this arc was quite weak.
The Queen gave up too fast and Ladros, who tried to kill everyone, is now best friends with everyone.
But i didn't like the arc in general with the non-introduction of the LN characters, how fast Asta's arms got healed, how he learned to control the demon power instantly or Fana screaming "HATE" all the time. Maybe the next one can be better.
 

Koi Kage

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2013
Messages
1,210
Reaction score
311
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I thought the ending to this arc was quite weak.
The Queen gave up too fast and Ladros, who tried to kill everyone, is now best friends with everyone.
But i didn't like the arc in general with the non-introduction of the LN characters, how fast Asta's arms got healed, how he learned to control the demon power instantly or Fana screaming "HATE" all the time. Maybe the next one can be better.
It was a decent ending to an arc that had a mixed view on it, at least that's my thoughts on it. Those things
The Queen gave up too fast and Ladros, who tried to kill everyone, is now best friends with everyone.
happen a lot throughout all of Shounen Jump's series so it's to be expected not much we can do about that.
 

TM2

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2017
Messages
155
Reaction score
95
Age
34
Country
Hong Kong
I know being a shonen manga there are certain expectations (and/or lack thereof) to meet. But just because its shonen doesn't mean that authors can get away with things that unintentionally break suspension of disbelief and proper pacing. At least not without getting called out for it.
 

Scruffy8642

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2016
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,057
Age
29
Country
Australia
Black Clover actually had an acceptable ending to what was an absolutely terrible arc. Some of the only few chapters in the series that actually progressed the story forward. I hope the series actually starts to go somewhere now, but my expectations aren't too high.

MHA pacing seems fine? Horikoshi's not wasting any time getting Overhaul into the story. Talking has all been pretty interesting, so don't have any complaints there either. The past few chapters have felt like they've flown by compared to the Provisional Lisence exam and what immediately followed it.
 

SkerllyFC

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2016
Messages
261
Reaction score
106
Age
31
Country
Dominican Republic
Dr. Stone´s 2nd chapter sold me on the series. I´m thinkg some of this stuff had to be on chapter 1. It keeps the science as easy to comprehend as possible, but as complex so you don´t think it´s dumbed down. Taiju and Senkuu are basically the brains and brawn duo, but I like Senkuu more as a character. He sells the fact that he´s a scientist pretty well. And about the content of the chapter itself, well, it´s good to see these 2 bros made an effort to search the formula for de-petrification(did I say that right?). It seems that´s not gonna be a battle shonen, but for as long as it keeps interesting, it´s gonna compete with Neverland for the smartest Jump manga in recent memory. Oh, and the art seems to be more polished in this chapter. Or is it mangastream?

And this part? It made me chuckle just for the beard
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Koi Kage

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2013
Messages
1,210
Reaction score
311
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Oh, and the art seems to be more polished in this chapter. Or is it mangastream?
It's the chapter because it seemed more polished then last chapter on Jamini's box too
 

HIGAN0

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 18, 2016
Messages
743
Reaction score
1,880
Country
Eyrie
Dr.Stone chapter 2 is Strong , I can't complain about this one :super.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
Glad I'm not the only one that felt as though the art felt more polished and solidified in chapter 2
 

UnspokenCoconut

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Nov 19, 2013
Messages
51
Reaction score
45
Gender
Male
Country
Galactic Republic
It seems that´s not gonna be a battle shonen, but for as long as it keeps interesting, it´s gonna compete with Neverland for the smartest Jump manga in recent memory. Oh, and the art seems to be more polished in this chapter. Or is it mangastream?
May I ask are you just trolling or seriously thinking that? lol
Because the way I see it there's nothing smart in Dr Stone.

Second chapter of Dr Stone feels like trying too hard to be funny and not even once I laughed to it.
 

SkerllyFC

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2016
Messages
261
Reaction score
106
Age
31
Country
Dominican Republic
May I ask are you just trolling or seriously thinking that? lol
Because the way I see it there's nothing smart in Dr Stone.

Second chapter of Dr Stone feels like trying too hard to be funny and not even once I laughed to it.
With smartest, I meant to say "trying to be more about intelligence and the use of the brain instead of being a fighting series". Of course, the science in this chapter is nothing deep, but it´s comprehensible.
 

G_I_A

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
401
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
This is the 3rd Black Clover chapter in a row that I've genuinely enjoyed. I'm suspicious... >.>
It begins...

Dr. Stone chapter 2 gave me an "assclass" vibe, especially at the wine part. If it survives I can see it receiving awards about educative stuff.

(colorpage is awesome)

I liked BC's arc ending and some revelations but... I don't know... Tabata needs to change something from here on... People won't just take meaningless battles over a random objetive anymore.

About HM I have mixed feelings. The MC goal is defined and that's good but... We need some antagonists here... I hope the "coming party" shows on the next one.

I won't comment on MHA... I'm thinking on droppping it and only watching the anime... It's too full of annoying speeches to keep me insterested.

Best chapter to me was still One Piece... Genuinely fun with the correct ammount of information/speeches etc.

Did not read the one shot yet... But the art looks hideous to me.

And next week... "GOLF MECHA SHIT" will enter in the "zone".
 

SkerllyFC

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2016
Messages
261
Reaction score
106
Age
31
Country
Dominican Republic
Ah, Hungry Marie, you´re leaving me hungry...
Hungry for something good, that is...

This 3rd chapter finally added some neeeeeeeeeded plot advancement, and the rule for the gender-bending is interesting to say the least. But that doesn´t mean that it´s problems are still there, and it is unnecessarily overpushed to be a Jump hit. I guess is not just me, but the humor is more worded than anything else, and if this chapter exemplifies something, it´s that when it tries to be physical comedy, it´s very exaggerated, which doesn´t mean funny.

And seriously, it took 3 chapters to get interesting, when it needed ONLY 1 to hook its audience. It´s trying too hard to be funny, well... it needs to try more to get it right.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
Still not feeling Hungry Marie that much.

And current MHA arc is great so far imo
 

Koi Kage

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2013
Messages
1,210
Reaction score
311
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I liked BC's arc ending and some revelations but... I don't know... Tabata needs to change something from here on... People won't just take meaningless battles over a random objetive anymore.
I get the idea after the last few chapters that Tabata's starting to slow things down in BC so he can build on what has been revealed and start going into a more character focused phase where character(s) start getting more spotlight with some sprinkles of random missions here and their until something else big is revealed.
 

Koi Kage

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2013
Messages
1,210
Reaction score
311
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Is it really suppose to be Mecha golf?
Not if the summary on MAL is correct the MC name is Robot
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,720
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
Tadahiro lost his magic when he decides to only focusing on 3 girls. :laser
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top