Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Tamura explained the story of that princess twice, I was like WTF.
I know that he doesn't make sense, but Beelzebub was funny, Hungry Marie has been boring.
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,297
Reaction score
7,333
Age
33
Country
Scotland
So far to me it feels like Tamura's maybe a bit too confident from having Beelzebub under his belt, and he's screwing around at the start of Marie in assumption that it'll get a good run instead of making much of an attempt to draw people in.
 

iceemperor

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 19, 2014
Messages
1,735
Reaction score
2,734
Gender
Male
Country
Casterly Rock
With Hungry Marie its probably a move to attract as many readers as possible within 8 chapters. With Shonen Jump, one belief many people in Japan, as well as some in the west, have is that Shonen Manga should simply be straight forward battle series. There were a considerable amount of people in Japan that were frustrated with Deku in the previous chapter for his conversation and frustration with All Might. One guy even questioned whether he has respect for All Might seeing the way he snapped and yelled at him that there was a reason to tell him about Mirio. They're not fans of main characters being mentally anguished, wishing for more simple, quick conclusions to characters arcs and going straight to fights. They will frequently bring up Luffy and Goku, saying that these characters would have simply not cared and moved to the next fight.

With Marie, the introduction of the Taoists has basically included that Battle component that many readers wish for
 

G_I_A

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
401
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I'm not confident about Hungry Marie too... Beelzebub fame is not enough for it to survive...

But it's definitely better than We Can't Study and Ucanceled. Poro can survive... I think.
 

Newkerzy

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 22, 2008
Messages
7,560
Reaction score
5,412
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
So far to me it feels like Tamura's maybe a bit too confident from having Beelzebub under his belt, and he's screwing around at the start of Marie in assumption that it'll get a good run instead of making much of an attempt to draw people in.
Which sounds like the opposite of what Fujimaki is doing. Fujimaki is clearly taking his time to build up his story rather than assume the fujos will fanatically back him from the get-go.
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
I kind of wonder what Jump would be like if Suzuki never left Shueshia and serialized NNT in Jump.
For the sake of discussion let's assume he still serialized both Kongou Banchou and Blizzard Axel in Jump rather than Sunday before starting NNT in 2012.
Do you guys think it would have been successful there? If so, that'd probably mean no Black Clover success in two years. Would probably affect World Trigger's popularity as well given how one reason I'd say World Trigger managed to last so long before it finally achieved popularity was the lack of a newer successful battle manga in the magazine at the time.
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,720
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
I'm not into merch that much but... I import all my manga from cd japan.
In Brazil they don't tax books/magazines and mangas fall into that category here but... The shipping costs is BEYOND expensive...
You should definitely stop buying from CD Japan and switch to honto. You will thank me later!!

----------------------------------------

It took 4 chapters but finally Hungry Marie made me laugh.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
I kind of wonder what Jump would be like if Suzuki never left Shueshia and serialized NNT in Jump.
For the sake of discussion let's assume he still serialized both Kongou Banchou and Blizzard Axel in Jump rather than Sunday before starting NNT in 2012.
Do you guys think it would have been successful there? If so, that'd probably mean no Black Clover success in two years. Would probably affect World Trigger's popularity as well given how one reason I'd say World Trigger managed to last so long before it finally achieved popularity was the lack of a newer successful battle manga in the magazine at the time.
I don't like the art, MC is not typical Jump MC. I don't think it will survive.
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
I don't like the art, MC is not typical Jump MC. I don't think it will survive.
Huh, the art is one of the only things keeping me reading nowadays. Very Toriyama esque.
NNT is more "Dragon Ball with swords" than Bleach ever was lol.
 

SkerllyFC

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2016
Messages
261
Reaction score
106
Age
31
Country
Dominican Republic
Hungry MArie ranked in the bottom probably because of the built expectation of being a comedy in the first 3 chapters. This sudden genre change will probably affect it negatively. Also, I think that in order for a genre change to be succesful, you have to set well the series, but also set the fact that it could become another genre than the one is associated with. Since the beginning Gintama has swords and samurai, so the genre shifting worked. Medaka Box had some badass-esque students, and the powers(abnormalities), so it worked. Reborn had the powers, so it worked. Hungry Marie had nothing to do with action, let´s see if it works or not
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
Also, on the subject of Hungry Marie; I really really like it. I may be biased though given how big of a Tamura fan I am.
I do think he could have done more in these four chapters though, and I still think that it would have been better if he stuck to the Tiger Dragon Brothers oneshot for serialization.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Hungry MArie ranked in the bottom probably because of the built expectation of being a comedy in the first 3 chapters. This sudden genre change will probably affect it negatively. Also, I think that in order for a genre change to be succesful, you have to set well the series, but also set the fact that it could become another genre than the one is associated with. Since the beginning Gintama has swords and samurai, so the genre shifting worked. Medaka Box had some badass-esque students, and the powers(abnormalities), so it worked. Reborn had the powers, so it worked. Hungry Marie had nothing to do with action, let´s see if it works or not
Hungry Marie is not ranked yet.
Its chapter 4 placement means nothing. Especially with how weird the TOC is right now.
 

Kadir0

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 26, 2016
Messages
909
Reaction score
1,475
Country
The Wall
With Shonen Jump, one belief many people in Japan, as well as some in the west, have is that Shonen Manga should simply be straight forward battle series. There were a considerable amount of people in Japan that were frustrated with Deku in the previous chapter for his conversation and frustration with All Might. One guy even questioned whether he has respect for All Might seeing the way he snapped and yelled at him that there was a reason to tell him about Mirio. They're not fans of main characters being mentally anguished, wishing for more simple, quick conclusions to characters arcs and going straight to fights. They will frequently bring up Luffy and Goku, saying that these characters would have simply not cared and moved to the next fight.
I am not sure what to say in this, every time I hear Japanese people's feedbacks I always get disappointed.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Now that Robot x Laserbeam will debut in ESJ I think it is time for them to start to see which ones they are going to pick to release regularly.
I just hope that Poro is one of them, I think it has action enough to appeal to the American audience.
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,297
Reaction score
7,333
Age
33
Country
Scotland
I wonder how many it'll be, hopefully there's at least 3 (since that raises the chances of having a surviving one). Dr Stone will no doubt be one of them but I'm not sure about the others.
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
This whole serialization round was quite underwhelming tbh.
Shame too because I don't believe there's ever been a six series round before.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Now that Robot x Laserbeam will debut in ESJ I think it is time for them to start to see which ones they are going to pick to release regularly.
I just hope that Poro is one of them, I think it has action enough to appeal to the American audience.
Well we can at least be sure they refuse to pick up whatever the most successful of the batch is and then refuse to ever pick it up due to their incompetent arrogance.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I wonder how many it'll be, hopefully there's at least 3 (since that raises the chances of having a surviving one). Dr Stone will no doubt be one of them but I'm not sure about the others.
I hope you are wrong in your prediction. hahaha

Well we can at least be sure they refuse to pick up whatever the most successful of the batch is and then refuse to ever pick it up due to their incompetent arrogance.
Are you talking about Kimetsu no Yaiba? I'm sure it is not about Yuragi since it is evident why they don't pick it.
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
I hope you are wrong in your prediction. hahaha

Are you talking about Kimetsu no Yaiba? I'm sure it is not about Yuragi since it is evident why they don't pick it.
They hesitated far too long or straight up refused to serialize for no good reason;

Haikyuu (no excuse because Cross Manage started afterwards and was picked up)

AssClass (used to think it it was because of the school shooting angle but then they finally started releasing it)

My Hero Academia

Kimetsu no Yaiba

Honestly Hinomaru Sumo could have fit in with English jump with how hot blooded it is
Viz is just shit at picking what might be successful.

Pretty sure the only things they chosee successfully were World Trigger and Black Clover.
Great track record.
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,297
Reaction score
7,333
Age
33
Country
Scotland
What makes their avoidance of Kimetsu no Yaiba even worse is that it the Jump Start supposedly got about same reception as Black Clover's did, which they did pick up (I think they talked about it in a podcast). So they had Nisekoi, Bleach, and Toriko all obviously in their last stretch and a new decently received battle shounen just starting up but they never bothered with it for some reason.
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
What makes their avoidance of Kimetsu no Yaiba even worse is that it the Jump Start supposedly got about same reception as Black Clover's did, which they did pick up (I think they talked about it in a podcast). So they had Nisekoi, Bleach, and Toriko all obviously in their last stretch and a new decently received battle shounen just starting up but they never bothered with it for some reason.
Clearly; Hi-Fi Cluster>Kimetsu no Yaiba
 

Nakura

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
1,564
Reaction score
2,181
Age
30
Country
Ireland
Didn't they pick up Neverland right off the bat too?

In any case, I agree. Viz are terrible at picking up worthwhile series. At least they eventually picked up MHA, but what are they waiting for with KNY? It would fit in great, and it has a good reception.
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,297
Reaction score
7,333
Age
33
Country
Scotland
On a different note, the newest Gintama episode teased a major announcement for next week. I expect it'll just be announcement that they're adapting the final arc, Rakuyou's only got 3 chapters left to adapt so no doubt they'll finish it next episode.

I'm not sure if they'll do it right away though, the last arc still has a bit left to go in the manga so they'll either have to go split cour for it or fill up some time with flashbacks to skipped arcs and some filler first.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top