Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
I don't know about first bad chapters since they're usually just boring but nothing bad from what I could remember. Toriko's first chapter was boring/stale.


I just remember SnS's first chapter "shock factor". Maybe that'll take the cake.
Jojo part 1, the first chapter itself wasn't terrible, just the way Araki portraits Dio Brando as a huge jerk.

Jojo part 6, Araki went full bizarre.
There's a reason why he's a huge jerk. Nothing bad about it.

Part 6 was great.
 
Last edited:

Mawara

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Feb 22, 2015
Messages
210
Reaction score
234
Gender
Female
Country
Germany
If only people would just admit it instead of just blaming the writing all the time. If you don't like an archetype then it really doesn't matter how well a character is written with the most famous example being Shinji Ikari who people still can stand despite how the show hammers through how his life sucks and how he can't function like everyone else.
Me and a lot of people understand Shinj, of course. But I still dislike him. Just because you understand why a character became how he became, doesnt mean you have to like him. His life sucked, extremely, I get it. I have more the experience that fans of NGE defending him by saying that, if you dont like him, you're just a fan of stupid one-dimensional shonen characters.
Between protagonists like Asta from Black Clover and Shinji are a lot of nuances to more protagonists than just these two. No reason to think in extrems.
[And like I said, I totally get why he is like this, I have sympathy for him. He was still a reason for me why I didnt enjoy NGE]


If I need to point the bad & best first chapter of a manga-
Best:
Naruto, The Promised Neverland & Death Note. Established the world & the maincharacters pretty quickly and in a strong fashion.

Worst:
Not a hater of Black Clover(enjoying it nowadays), but its first chapter is, besides Asta, one of BC's greatest weaknesses. Filled with clichès & feels like copy & paste from Naruto. Really bad first impression.
 

ElJin

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Feb 4, 2015
Messages
334
Reaction score
241
Age
28
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
What are you guys favorite Jump first chapter? Naruto first chap for me, really great
For me, magico's first chapter was really great. Bakuman, Hinomaru Zumou and Yakusoku no Neverland's too.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
For me, magico's first chapter was really great. Bakuman, Hinomaru Zumou and Yakusoku no Neverland's too.
Edit: Oh, and I have to say, I really liked the first chapter of enigma.
 

Koi Kage

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2013
Messages
1,210
Reaction score
311
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Hungry Marie . . . Hungry Marie why just why? I try to find the good things in every manga when I read it, but why is this one almost impossible to do that with. This week's chapter was really (and I mean REALLY difficult) to read at least for me, I stand by what I said last week that the plot seems to be falling apart at the seems especially with how nearly impossible this chapter was to follow what was going on.
 

Nakura

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
1,564
Reaction score
2,181
Age
30
Country
Ireland
The only new series I seem to be keeping with so far is RxL(Poro too if there are any more translated chapters. I have yet to check again). Dr. Stone is slowly losing me, and I'm waiting to see how Hungry Marie performs. U19 and WLN are not enjoyable for me.
 

xAsum0x

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
1,763
Reaction score
1,582
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Dr stone for me. Most recent chapter was pretty good.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
"We can't Learn" and Poro for now. RxL has a high probability to be the third if it keeps the good momentum of the first chapter.
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,720
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
Nothing really stick out for me this serialization round. They aren't bad but they aren't good either. I don't dislike any series yet to consider dropping them.
 

jagman1x3

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Sep 19, 2012
Messages
2,616
Reaction score
2,843
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I dropped all the new series, but might pick Poro back up. Although I saw the new chapter and I swear it's taunting me I want a Round 1 near me so bad uuugh
 

Scruffy8642

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2016
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,057
Age
29
Country
Australia
I thought Hungry Marie was way better this week. We're finally starting to see the comedic opportunities that come with the reversed gender and personalities. It was pretty hilarious to me.
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,295
Reaction score
7,326
Age
33
Country
Scotland
I'll probably read whatever sticks around though I'm holding off on them past ch 3 until we know which ones viz will keep. I didn't like U19 or Marie as much but they're still entertaining enough to continue if they somehow manage to do well.
 

Kave

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2016
Messages
218
Reaction score
341
Country
Thailand
Kimetsu is getting hype again
 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Midoriya uses his head... Man, this is wrong in so many ways. hahaha
Its hilarious that people try to say otherwise when the manga has hammered down to be one of his defining traits.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Its hilarious that people try to say otherwise when the manga has hammered down to be one of his defining traits.
I already explained my point about this matter last week. If you are interested, you can look for it in this thread.
 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I already explained my point about this matter last week. If you are interested, you can look for it in this thread.
Yes and you've conveniently left out 75% of the material as a result.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Yes and you've conveniently left out 75% of the material as a result.
He only thinks when he is batting, he is a good strategist. That's what you are talking about?
However, he doesn't think straight when it comes to hero things, he just wants to save everybody without thinking the consequences. He is like that since chapter 1, it was why All Might wrongly chose him, remember? I'm thinking about this since long ago and the recent chapters just made more certain that Midoriya is suicidal.
 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
He only thinks when he is batting, he is a good strategist. That's what you are talking about?
I think that's what everyone was saying.
 

Kadir0

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 26, 2016
Messages
909
Reaction score
1,475
Country
The Wall
I am really digging Robo, hope it survives. The promised neverland chapter was pure amazing in this week. Anyway for me best and worse 1st chapters are:-

Best
-The Promised Neverland
-Death-note
-Beelzebub
-Naruto

Worst
-Black Clover
-Boku no Hero Academia (it got much much better though)

I try to find the good things in every manga when I read it, but why is this one almost impossible to do that with.
Not related to Hungry Marie, but dude no offense but every one of your posts i see here seem like you always try hard to find the worst aspect in every manga excluding Black Clover.
 

Mawara

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Feb 22, 2015
Messages
210
Reaction score
234
Gender
Female
Country
Germany
What event/chapter/character in a manga let you like it? Not just like "enjoying it on a weekly basis, when I read it" but more being interested & excited about new chapters & want to see more of it. [You could even say, when the question wasnt clear enough, what made you a fan of a certain manga]-

In my case, in MHA it was the Torunament Arc. Though not the arc itself, it was when we learned about Todorokis background & what his father did to get the son with the best quirks. DThis gave for me the world of heroes depth and shades, which I missed before. That's where I started really to like it(when Hero-Killer Stain came, it got even better for me)
Even in Black Clover I had such a thing: It was the Water Temple Arc. In this arc Yami & Noelle were great & had good moments, I really wanted to read more of them in the manga. And even Asta... showed some... decent attributes in this arc. (Though I dont know if I would call this arc good n default, it was just that Noelle & Yami were so damn enjoyable in this)
 

Doughboy

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 1, 2016
Messages
4,482
Reaction score
8,341
Country
United States
MHA - Tournament arc, the preliminary ranking of the first 42 people was cool but the headband part of it I got so hype when Deku picked out his team cause it was so random lol. Then Bakugo vs. Ochako, Deku vs. Todoroki, whew. Although Deku, Tsuyu and All Might vs. Noumu from the USJ arc was hype worthy

Naruto - Hidden Mist arc, it was just a classic which made Naruto use head for once (when he transformed into the shuriken) and first time we saw him go Kyuubi

OP - probably no event, I would say Nami, Zoro made me like it. I've honestly never found Luffy that interesting, his brothers are way better

Food Wars - Erina and Rindou, honestly just follow it for them and not the foodgasms
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top