Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Viz better pick up the series next week. I don't want to wake up in a cold sweat and see We Can't Study...
someone is setting himself up for disappointment

Here were the final results for Manga Taisho 2017.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...ru-hoho-wins-10th-manga-taisho-awards/.114009
1. Hibiki: Shosetsuka ni Naru Hoho - 67 pts
2. Kin no Kuni Mizu no Kuni - 64 pts
3. Dungeon Meshi - 63 pts
4. Aoashi - 60 pts
5. Nami yo Kiite Kure./Wave, Listen to Me. - 48 pts
6. The Promised Neverland - 43 pts
7. Golden Gold - 42 pts
8. Fire Punch - 37 pts
9. Hi Score Girl - 33 pts
10. Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san - 30 pts
11. Watashi no Shonen - 20 pts
12. Tokyo Tarareba Musume - 18 pts
13. Kutei Dragons - 9 points
Congrats to Hibiki

I don't think Neverland should've been nominated in the first place, it was too early for it to win awards

Fire Punch loss and its only seven? wtf
*insert Star Wars Sad Medley theme here*
 

G_I_A

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
401
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I don't follow all this manga, but Ao Ashi is a soccer manga... They are ALL... ALL worse than Captain Tsubasa... How da hell can this shit be better than TPN?

This makes no sense.
 

Nakura

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
1,564
Reaction score
2,181
Age
30
Country
Ireland
At what point did Haikyu's art style begin to shift? I'm reading my volume 9 and I love the art, so it just made me curious.
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,720
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
At what point did Haikyu's art style begin to shift? I'm reading my volume 9 and I love the art, so it just made me curious.
Around chapter ~110-ish, but you can SEE the shift is around chapter ~120, so volume 14.

So volume 13~14 onward?
 

Nakura

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
1,564
Reaction score
2,181
Age
30
Country
Ireland
Around chapter ~110-ish, but you can SEE the shift is around chapter ~120, so volume 14.

So volume 13~14 onward?
Thank you! I'm just getting depressed reading this because I'm not a fan of the current art style at all.
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,720
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
I strongly believe the Taisho Award is based more on enjoyment instead of quality. More like 60% enjoyment 40% quality. Since the bookstore staffs are the judges/committees, these manga are the one they want to introduce to readers.

TPN is still qualify for 2018 Manga Taisho Award, so if it keeps up the quality/enjoyment then it will land a nomination.

Also, does TPN qualify for the Tezuka Award? I only read Phoenix and Black Jack so I am still not sure about "recognizing the manga that best follow his tradition."
 
Last edited:

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,071
Reaction score
6,930
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I hope the newest promised neverland chaptera ranks incredibly low. The writer seems inspired by kill em all iseyama.

I wish we got more mangas like BLack Clover, stuff that doesnt make me cry and feels emotions. I hate neverland.
 

Xzone

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 2, 2014
Messages
888
Reaction score
698
Gender
Male
Country
Isle of Man
That look more a joke than a bait.
You need to become a comedian, sharkbait.

PD:Except the part you write "mangas" , that make me rage.
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,294
Reaction score
7,321
Age
33
Country
Scotland
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/int...onen-jump-50th-anniversary-exhibition/.113988

Small bit of info on the first 50th anniversary exhibition (the one covering the magazine's launch up into the 80s).

I've never heard of Otoko Ippiki Gaki Daisho before, though it seems to have been a series from almost the very beginning of wsj and all I know from that era is the Go Nagai stuff.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
This manga award was specifically for new manga, though. "Too early" doesn't matter in this instance.
I didn't know that

but still even for a new manga it's still too early for the work to win any awards imo, the first arc isn't even over
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,720
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
I didn't know that

but still even for a new manga it's still too early for the work to win any awards imo, the first arc isn't even over
Weekly manga only have 1 year to ~1.5 years to be qualify (4~5 volumes/year). Taisho Award only take less than 8 volumes published, so TPN can qualify for 2018 Taisho Award and that's it.

As I said above, they probably judge the manga based on the volumes published that year and not current chapters, and probably enjoyment > quality (imo) since the judges are bookstores staffs. You only need 1 volume published to get a nomination (Ryuu no Kawaii Nanatsu no Ko,Hikidashi ni Terrarium)
 

iceemperor

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 19, 2014
Messages
1,735
Reaction score
2,734
Gender
Male
Country
Casterly Rock
I strongly believe the Taisho Award is based more on enjoyment instead of quality. More like 60% enjoyment 40% quality. Since the bookstore staffs are the judges/committees, these manga are the one they want to introduce to readers.

TPN is still qualify for 2018 Manga Taisho Award, so if it keeps up the quality/enjoyment then it will land a nomination.

Also, does TPN qualify for the Tezuka Award? I only read Phoenix and Black Jack so I am still not sure about "recognizing the manga that best follow his tradition."
Pretty much every manga can qualify for the Tezuka Cultural Prize, though the closest a Shonen jump series got to the grand prize was Hikaru no Go where it got the newcomer/creative prize. One piece was a finalist in 2000 but ultimately didn't win.


Last week's TV Ratings (yet to be confirmed on the official site but has been accurate for the past few months) have been posted on 2ch:

サザエさん放送2400回記念スペシャル フジテレビ '17/03/26(日) 18:00 - 60 10.6
名探偵コナン 日本テレビ '17/03/25(土) 18:00 - 30 6.8
ワンピース フジテレビ '17/03/26(日) 9:30 - 30 6.6
ドラゴンボール超 フジテレビ '17/03/26(日) 9:00 - 30 5.5

ポケットモンスターサン&ムーン テレビ東京 '17/03/23(木) 18:55 - 30 4.4
僕のヒーローアカデミア 日本テレビ '17/03/25(土) 17:30 - 30 3.3
NARUTO疾風伝・最終回 テレビ東京 '17/03/23(木) 19:25 - 28 3.2

アニメおさるのジョージ NHKEテレ '17/03/25(土) 8:35 - 25 3.1
アニメひつじのショーン NHKEテレ '17/03/25(土) 9:00 - 20 2.9
妖怪ウォッチ テレビ東京 '17/03/24(金) 18:25 - 30 2.7
 
Last edited:

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,720
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
Pretty much every manga can qualify for the Tezuka Cultural Prize, though the closest a Shonen jump series got to the grand prize was Hikaru no Go where it got the newcomer/creative prize. One piece was a finalist in 2000 but ultimately didn't win.
Tezuka's Grand Prize winners are usually seinen/josei work.

I just look a little bit further. WSJ series have a higher chance of winning the Shogakukan Award. Dr Slump , Kinnikuman, Yu Yu Hakusho, Slam Dunk, Hikaru no Go, Leader den Takeshi, Bleach, Sket Dance and finally Haikyuu (2015).
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
Pretty much every manga can qualify for the Tezuka Cultural Prize, though the closest a Shonen jump series got to the grand prize was Hikaru no Go where it got the newcomer/creative prize. One piece was a finalist in 2000 but ultimately didn't win.


Last week's TV Ratings (yet to be confirmed on the official site but has been accurate for the past few months) have been posted on 2ch:

サザエさん放送2400回記念スペシャル フジテレビ '17/03/26(日) 18:00 - 60 10.6
名探偵コナン 日本テレビ '17/03/25(土) 18:00 - 30 6.8
ワンピース フジテレビ '17/03/26(日) 9:30 - 30 6.6
ドラゴンボール超 フジテレビ '17/03/26(日) 9:00 - 30 5.5

ポケットモンスターサン&ムーン テレビ東京 '17/03/23(木) 18:55 - 30 4.4
僕のヒーローアカデミア 日本テレビ '17/03/25(土) 17:30 - 30 3.3
NARUTO疾風伝・最終回 テレビ東京 '17/03/23(木) 19:25 - 28 3.2

アニメおさるのジョージ NHKEテレ '17/03/25(土) 8:35 - 25 3.1
アニメひつじのショーン NHKEテレ '17/03/25(土) 9:00 - 20 2.9
妖怪ウォッチ テレビ東京 '17/03/24(金) 18:25 - 30 2.7
What are the highlighted things(excluding Naruto)
 

Nakura

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
1,564
Reaction score
2,181
Age
30
Country
Ireland
Oooh awesome. So I guess it's safe to say MHA will at least get decent ratings this season?
It's not guaranteed, but it's a popular slot. 3.3 isn't a bad start, especially for a recap episode.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
It's not guaranteed, but it's a popular slot. 3.3 isn't a bad start, especially for a recap episode.
True. Going to be interesting to see how this plays out
 

G_I_A

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
401
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
There's no way that MHA will stay on top like Dragon Ball Super and One Piece. Forget it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top