Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
I'm guessing that's print, and not sold.

In the author comments, the writer said this:



I'm wondering if that'll increase the sales somehow.
I don't follow, how is rereading the same volume they just bought will increase the sales?
 

raikou

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2009
Messages
141
Reaction score
46
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
Here we have an interesting response to the question: "How much can an author actually push their own ideas when it comes to anime adaptions?". Courtesy of the segment The Answerman, at ANN:



Link here: https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/answerman/2017-04-03/.114258
From what I've seen, famous mangaka may decide what they want for their manga adaptation. And they can refuse things that they don't want to.
Like Takei don't want a remake of Shaman King if they don't keep the same cast.
Seo Kouji cooperated with Fuuka anime route.
Hinata Takeshi refused Ahiru no Sora adaptation beause anime production team want an original ending.
Umino Chica want SHAFT specifically to animate Sangatsu no Lion (which I think kind of a waste)

Mangaka can also decide seiyuu, not 100% but their personal preference can be approved.
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I don't follow, how is rereading the same volume they just bought will increase the sales?
I'm guessing that not all of them read it in volume form. But, even ignoring that, if the twist is pulled off well, it may increase word of mouth, which may increase the popularity.
 

SkerllyFC

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2016
Messages
261
Reaction score
106
Age
31
Country
Dominican Republic
Dr. Stone wasn not even that terrible in chapter 3 so it can really survive for all I care, but Hungry Marie is boring, repetitive and doesn't make any sense at all! Hungry Marie survival is unacceptable and an offense to the series that currently running and all the series before that, many of them had more potential (it is not hard to have more potential than that trash) and was still cancelled. It is offensive to Beelzebub, which was at least funny sometimes.
I think that a healthy discussion like this should be about people decalring the reasons why they like a series, or why they don't like them. GIA is not helping to make a healthy discussion at all. Shouldn't be better if we expose what we like or don't about these new series?

I'll start with Hungry Marie. I agree with Leoat, it doesn't have a defined comedy style, instead it tries pretty hard to be funny. Nor it doesn't use multiple types of gags in a funny way, like Saiki Kusuo. The only interesting plot point is the taoist group, but it received so little development. In the end, it's overhyped because Tamura, who doesn't have a tint of fame in the fist place. In terms of popularity, Beelzebub it's just right there with the forgotten for good, Black Cat. Hungry Marie can be cancelled and I won't missed it anyway.

Dr Stone IMO is better when it concentrates on being Bill Nye the Science Guy meets Survivors, not when that stupid plot point of Yuzuriha(thank God it was resolved) appears. The point of fighting against Tsukasa could be good, but it remains to be seen. I like Senkuu, but Taiju is pretty annoying, especially as he is a punchbag with no brain.

We never learn may try to appeal to Nisekoi fans, but at least has some character development. It may not be much, but I like how each chapter reveals something new about the characters, a thing that both To Love Ru and Nisekoi forgot to do. It still need some work with the study gimmick though, the potential is there. I want it to compete alongside Yuragi-sou, but let's see.

RobotxLaserbeam is better than Garbage Marie IMO, but it needs to find its hook with the golf. I'm not feeling it yet. Yeah, I know that sports manga take time to develop, but Kuroko had a better hook than this. The most I like about it so far is Youzan, who's a character that doesn't want to be popular, but be a good, humble player, despite being popular.

This is it. It's as simple as to give it a bit pf thought. Can you do something like this, to expose a reason why you like X or Yseries?
 

Koi Kage

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2013
Messages
1,210
Reaction score
311
Gender
Male
Country
United States
You don't have to receive an explanation at all. Just wait till they survive in a couple of weeks.
Why do you give veterans so much extra credit?
I personally think there is no difference between a series from a rookie or a new series from a previously serialized author, granted that one may have had a pretty well received previous work but I digress, there all the same to me a new series that can get the axe as fast as the wind can carry it at any time no matter who the writer/artist is.
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
Why do you give veterans so much extra credit?
I personally think there is no difference between a series from a rookie or a new series from a previously serialized author, granted that one may have had a pretty well received previous work but I digress, there all the same to me a new series that can get the axe as fast as the wind can carry it at any time no matter who the writer/artist is.
Because they've done it before thus experience. Isn't that obvious?
Also, stop putting your own creative limitations on Jump mangakas.
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire


>Jump didn't put out a sequel for their game immediately
>conclusion: Jump hates money

cool research bro:super!
 

Nakura

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
1,564
Reaction score
2,181
Age
30
Country
Ireland


>Jump didn't put out a sequel for their game immediately
>conclusion: Jump hates money

cool research bro:super!
I literally just saw that! Also, I wonder if he knows that J-Stars is kinda already a sequel to another game, and that it was released for an anniversary.
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
I wonder what kinda of "research" he did

he probably typed when was J stars vs released in google and called it a day
 

Nakura

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
1,564
Reaction score
2,181
Age
30
Country
Ireland
With that kind of thorough research, I'm surprised he isn't already teaching lessons to staff at Shueisha HQ.
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,297
Reaction score
7,333
Age
33
Country
Scotland
J stars essentially did get a sequel, it just only has One Piece characters in it.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I think that a healthy discussion like this should be about people decalring the reasons why they like a series, or why they don't like them. GIA is not helping to make a healthy discussion at all. Shouldn't be better if we expose what we like or don't about these new series?

I'll start with Hungry Marie. I agree with Leoat, it doesn't have a defined comedy style, instead it tries pretty hard to be funny. Nor it doesn't use multiple types of gags in a funny way, like Saiki Kusuo. The only interesting plot point is the taoist group, but it received so little development. In the end, it's overhyped because Tamura, who doesn't have a tint of fame in the fist place. In terms of popularity, Beelzebub it's just right there with the forgotten for good, Black Cat. Hungry Marie can be cancelled and I won't missed it anyway.

Dr Stone IMO is better when it concentrates on being Bill Nye the Science Guy meets Survivors, not when that stupid plot point of Yuzuriha(thank God it was resolved) appears. The point of fighting against Tsukasa could be good, but it remains to be seen. I like Senkuu, but Taiju is pretty annoying, especially as he is a punchbag with no brain.

We never learn may try to appeal to Nisekoi fans, but at least has some character development. It may not be much, but I like how each chapter reveals something new about the characters, a thing that both To Love Ru and Nisekoi forgot to do. It still need some work with the study gimmick though, the potential is there. I want it to compete alongside Yuragi-sou, but let's see.

RobotxLaserbeam is better than Garbage Marie IMO, but it needs to find its hook with the golf. I'm not feeling it yet. Yeah, I know that sports manga take time to develop, but Kuroko had a better hook than this. The most I like about it so far is Youzan, who's a character that doesn't want to be popular, but be a good, humble player, despite being popular.

This is it. It's as simple as to give it a bit pf thought. Can you do something like this, to expose a reason why you like X or Yseries?
I disagree with the bold part about Nisekoi, we can talk about that if you want, but the rest is perfect, that's what I dream to see here. XD

 

SkerllyFC

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2016
Messages
261
Reaction score
106
Age
31
Country
Dominican Republic
I disagree with the bold part about Nisekoi, we can talk about that if you want, but the rest is perfect, that's what I dream to see here. XD

The bold part about Nisekoi was an error of typing, sorry. The other bold parts are intentional. They´re only the names of the series
 

Mawara

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Feb 22, 2015
Messages
210
Reaction score
234
Gender
Female
Country
Germany


>Jump didn't put out a sequel for their game immediately
>conclusion: Jump hates money

cool research bro:super!
Dude, that guy is probably not that deep into video games in the first place. Because seeing endless sequels of Assassins Creed & Call of Duty, people respect video game producers, who dont slaughter their franchise by milking it to death (in a short period of time, at least).
 

James Rye

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 18, 2014
Messages
2,019
Reaction score
6,506
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Yakusoku no Neverland : 3 volumes : 500 000.
I read in another forum that Neverland sold more copies of its first three volume than Boku no Hero did when it had its first three volumes out. Is that true?
 

Newkerzy

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 22, 2008
Messages
7,561
Reaction score
5,412
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
I think MHA only started seeing an uptick in sales by the time it got to the sports festival, so yes, that's probably true.
 

DyanSon

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Feb 4, 2017
Messages
367
Reaction score
134
Age
29
Country
Philippines
I read in another forum that Neverland sold more copies of its first three volume than Boku no Hero did when it had its first three volumes out. Is that true?
Dude where did you hear that? There's a big gap between those two.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
I think MHA only started seeing an uptick in sales by the time it got to the sports festival, so yes, that's probably true.
Nope.
 

Kave

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2016
Messages
218
Reaction score
341
Country
Thailand
No it's not true lol

Heroaca 3 volumes: 1 million printed
Neverland 3 volumes: 500k printed

First 5 weeks of Heroaca volume 1-3:



Neverland:

 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top