Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kadir0

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 26, 2016
Messages
909
Reaction score
1,475
Country
The Wall
The Promised Neverland has been doing a lot of things off screen when they should do some of these things on screen or at least half on screen. I don't remember any hints that what is taking place now in the series would happen, it was too sudden. I like when there are hints, like someone appearing in a shadow, or enigmatic conversations, to make you suspect that something will happen and when it happens you feel that you knew that it would happen and your suspicions were true. The Promised Neverland could have better rankings from me, but it is not getting it because I feel like the readers were not included in the plan as well. In short, the plan was supposed to fool their "mother", not everybody including the readers!
If you are talking about the sudden change of things in the past couple of chapters, you are the one that didn't look into it, i could point out so many hints and foreshadow, but this isn't the right place to discuss TPN. The author himself mentioned how those stuff will make you re-read vol 3, means he already given the hints there. You should go to TPN forum, i am sure others will point out those.
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
I still would have liked it more if a certain TPN character actually died.
Even if set up, it left a bad taste in my mouth.
 

Support

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Apr 2, 2017
Messages
10
Reaction score
9
Age
38
Country
United Kingdom
Dr Stone still feels weird tonally to me. Super realistic scientific concepts with over the top characters make a unique combination.

I'm finding the characters way too outlandish for my tastes though . I can see why the author wrote them that way though, if they were too realistic then this would be a pretty grim manga.

I mean...they are heading off to create gunpowder in order to shoot a guy in the face or something. It's hard to make the heroes look good in this situation.

I think the stake needs to be made muuuuch smaller for me to be interested again. Saving the whole of civilisation from a dramatic teenage boy is way too broad and hard to invest in right now.

How about if they are in a race to save/kill one particular Vip person? The author can show the guy/girl's backstory so that i would care, and it can be a breathless race against time with real emotional beats to it.

...or the villain can continue smashing people rocks, im not too fussed.
 
Last edited:

Sir Isley

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Nov 8, 2012
Messages
189
Reaction score
130
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Yes, but when things happen off screen that SHOULD have happened on screen and it not happening reduces emotional investment THAT makes it bad.
Like the LN fiasco.

Tabata apologetics make me sick. It's always grasping at straws.
Except most of the things listed by Julius happened ON screen.

The constant whining makes me sick. Dudes aren't ever positive.
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
Can Beelzebub Gaiden count as a final arc?
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---


Because Yusuke suddenly finding out he's actually the son of a demon king out of nowhere and going super sayian to win the fight.
S Class Demon's in general.
Huge asspulls in an already mediocre arc.
guess you have a point. Sensui just had a strong impression on me so I never really found it to be bad. His send off was great.
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
guess you have a point. Sensui just had a strong impression on me so I never really found it to be bad. His send off was great.
Yeah, Sensui and Itsuki were great characters (plus a gay Jump couple is cool to see specially in the 90s). Just the arc around them was super weak.
 
Last edited:

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Not yet. There's no delicious tanline athletic girl, or genki gamer girl, or quiet bookworm girl. Kogarashi's harem still has room to grow. :cheez
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

I'm sure there are hints here and there pointing towards the twists in the story but they're too difficult to find. If they were too obvious then it would just ruin the surprising plot twists because we would already know weeks beforehand. In my opinion, I would rather have Shirai play it safe and make twists appear out of nowhere than leave too many hints that makes the "twists" predictable.
I'm not saying that it is a easy technique to apply, it is very hard indeed, only masters like Oda do it properly in Jump nowadays.
 

Kadir0

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 26, 2016
Messages
909
Reaction score
1,475
Country
The Wall
The veteran in this batch are a letdown.
 

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
Really? I can see what you're saying with Dr. Stone and Hungry Marie, but I've been enjoying RoboLaser quite a lot actually. He's the one veteran from this batch who didn't let me down.
 

Kadir0

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 26, 2016
Messages
909
Reaction score
1,475
Country
The Wall
I forgot about RxL, it's funny that i had zero expectation for this one, and it turned out the only interesting one among them so far.
 

conankudo

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Mar 5, 2013
Messages
456
Reaction score
389
Gender
Male
Country
Marine Headquarters
Disgraceful. I hope it gets cancelled before SW1. VENERATE VETERANS.N
And it seems RobotxLaserbeam will be also added. I didn't check the other names after I saw the author of We never learn but you can also spot Tadatoshi Fujimaki among the authors
 
Last edited:

RafaFedKilla

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 3, 2013
Messages
1,727
Reaction score
464
Gender
Male
Country
United States
And it seems RobotxLaserbeam will be also added. I didn't check the other names after I saw the author of We never learn but you can also spot Yuto Tsukuda among the authors
Fujimaki you mean, but yes.
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
Yet they still won't add Kimetsu no Yaiba.
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
How did the current KnY volume do in sales for the first month? The cut off is like 200k so I cant find it obviously.

Comparisons with the previous volumes will be appreciated!
 

Kave

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2016
Messages
218
Reaction score
341
Country
Thailand
How did the current KnY volume do in sales for the first month? The cut off is like 200k so I cant find it obviously.

Comparisons with the previous volumes will be appreciated!
estimates

Kimetsu 5
**96570 (*38 days)(「65,822」・11764・8792・6227.5・3964.5)

Kimetsu 4
**58993.5 (*38 days)(「21,815」・18264・5896・4435・4587.5・3996)
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
That's a nice improvement.

Which series got the biggest increases in manga sales from it's anime? An exact/rough estimate boost would be nice. No One Piece/Naruto/Bleach/Haikyuu or any huge titles that have over 30M+ copies in print. I'm just curious on the before and after.
 
Last edited:

WesKR

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Nov 27, 2013
Messages
168
Reaction score
105
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
I believe Haikyuu got a huge boost. I remember seeing it around the 200-250k range before the anime and quickly jumped to near 1mil.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top