Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

SkerllyFC

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2016
Messages
261
Reaction score
106
Age
31
Country
Dominican Republic
yeah the soundtrack have been on point this season, just like pacing and animation, even the filler scenes and filler character's interactions are great
In this aspect, it's still missing. Like, heck, this arc could be more alive with more of these. Before this season started, I espexcted more non-canon scenes that gave some needed life to the arc, but then these first 3 episodes became more of a drag for "respecting" the source material. Come on, adding non-canon scenes is not an insult. What is an insult is making yet another needless recap in the first episode.
 

Doughboy

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 1, 2016
Messages
4,482
Reaction score
8,341
Country
United States
I think both MHA and Boruto (especially Boruto) have wayyy surpassed expectations. Nakurawari mentioned the OSTs, they've been godly so far. The filler scenes such as the expansion on the quirks and small interactions between students have rounded out the episodes to be more impactful than the manga imo. Boruto, let's be real even the slightest improvement would look colossal over the terrible manga. But I like the new filler academy students, even Boruto's unknown dojutsu is more interesting to find out with all the little hints that are progressively given. If there's anything I'm not looking forward to is the eventual ship wars that will start again with Sumire and Sarada, it'll happen cause it always happens
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
The novel could be based on Oda's scripts and the author just make it more descriptive with words.
the author can improve Oda's script with more words in a manga too:crying

In this aspect, it's still missing. Like, heck, this arc could be more alive with more of these. Before this season started, I espexcted more non-canon scenes that gave some needed life to the arc, but then these first 3 episodes became more of a drag for "respecting" the source material. Come on, adding non-canon scenes is not an insult. What is an insult is making yet another needless recap in the first episode.
what moments you felt like it needed some padding so far?

to me everything that happen so far is pretty straight forward, I can't think of anything particular that needs depth and more fleshing out (they're coming up tho)
I know shippers will disagree, "mah teens romance hurr durr" but who cares about them? they can crawl back to their caves in tumblr for all I care
 

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
I am really enjoying the Hero Academia anime, especially the small interactions added to flesh out the minor characters, but I still feel like it's going a bit too slow. Not as bad as the first season, but it definitely seems like it's going at a slower pace than I would like. Maybe it's the 4 minutes or so in the beginning of each episode that is taken up by recap and the opening. It's not something that usually occurs in anime with a cour structure, but more with long runners like One Piece. That's probably my main problem with the second season. Everything else is good though, makes me anticipate the 1v1 tournament with even more excitement.
 

Scruffy8642

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2016
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,057
Age
29
Country
Australia
Agreed on MHA being too slow. Bones are sticking to the 2 chapter per episode guideline like glue, adding in some extra scenes to flesh it out and fill up the time (which dont really add anything and piss me off because the pacing is already too slow, but I respect them for wanting to do that). Id prefer they just adapt freely without having to slow the pace to match the end of a chapter. If they didnt draw out scenes for that purpose we could have got another half a chapter animated per ep. Thats pretty much the only complaint I have though. Everything else is pretty great. At least at this rate we wont have to worry about them catching up to the manga, only adapting 50 chapters per season.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
If we're never going to get an Ace prequel in the main manga I'd rather read his story as a manga than a novel

there's isn't much different in text quantity

a story that's told in 1 novel volume = 3 manga volumes

and who can complain about more OP's material? certainly not me
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Are you worried about action scenes? I don't think Ace's past was that full of action by what I could see in the manga, like his story with Sabo and all.
Admit you just don't like novels and let's move on.
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
I prefer manga to novels as a media, I thought my post was clear

that's being said, I don't hate novels in general, I do hate isekai dogshit and magic academies harem battle sub-genres which a lot of novels are centered around
 

jagman1x3

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Sep 19, 2012
Messages
2,616
Reaction score
2,843
Gender
Male
Country
United States
This magazine probably isn't going to be that big, making it a novel is likely a way for them to keep the same amount of content while cutting down how many pages it takes up.
Plus there's some stuff novels do better, dunno how this one will work though.
 

iceemperor

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 19, 2014
Messages
1,735
Reaction score
2,734
Gender
Male
Country
Casterly Rock
If anything, I'd say its actually pretty late in the franchise that they're finally giving one piece a novel series that Oda himself didn't write. The franchise almost 20 years without a spin-off until they started One Piece Party. All other material has focused entirely on events that happened in the Main story. All the databooks and extras focus only on the plot points that happened in the manga. A story that has not been seen in the main series will give a new perspective on the world. Oda will definitely check to make sure nothing contradicts his story but the actual writing style, set up, etc will be from an entirely different person giving a new, fresh look at the series. Ace's past after he left the island to meeting luffy in the main story is pretty much a blank slate. We know the Blackbeard plot but the time before he met Whitebeard and his adventures as a commander pre-blackbeard leave huge potential for stories.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
The lack of spin-offs is certainly due to the fact the One Piece is so intricate that we never know when Oda will bring something from a far past to connect with something in the current story. I think Ace is safe because he is already dead anyway so Oda must have given permission for that.
 

SkerllyFC

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2016
Messages
261
Reaction score
106
Age
31
Country
Dominican Republic
the author can improve Oda's script with more words in a manga too:crying



what moments you felt like it needed some padding so far?

to me everything that happen so far is pretty straight forward, I can't think of anything particular that needs depth and more fleshing out (they're coming up tho)
I know shippers will disagree, "mah teens romance hurr durr" but who cares about them? they can crawl back to their caves in tumblr for all I care
I mean, we should have more games, more screentime of characters from other classes, among other things. This was a good opportunity for it. The manga has like only 5 games including the fighting tournament. Why not have more?
 

Nakura

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
1,564
Reaction score
2,181
Age
30
Country
Ireland
I mean, we should have more games, more screentime of characters from other classes, among other things. This was a good opportunity for it. The manga has like only 5 games including the fighting tournament. Why not have more?
Because the games they would add would be redundant. The hypothetical filler rounds would have to not cut any student because of the tournement set-up. There would be no point.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
I mean, we should have more games, more screentime of characters from other classes, among other things. This was a good opportunity for it. The manga has like only 5 games including the fighting tournament. Why not have more?
The only editions I would suggest this arc give is adding more action to the 1 on 1 fights like they did with All Might Vs Nomu(which I'm sure they actually would do). And maybe show glimpses of fights that, although happened in the manga, we didn't see them.
But there would be no point in adding more games. How are players going to be eliminated in said games? Regardless of what games Bones added they would need the final rounds to be the same as the manga.
 

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
I mean, we should have more games, more screentime of characters from other classes, among other things. This was a good opportunity for it. The manga has like only 5 games including the fighting tournament. Why not have more?
Ah yes, and slow down the pacing even more? Please. 5 games is more than enough. The Chuunin exams only had 3 or 4 stages, and that was long as hell already. We don't need more games.
 

Doughboy

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 1, 2016
Messages
4,482
Reaction score
8,341
Country
United States
I have a question cause I recently watched the scene of Rejiu sucking out the poison from Luffy, isn't OP currently in that same arc? Is the anime going on hiatus or filler soon? I don't follow either the anime or manga consciously anymore but that clip came up in my youtube recommendations and it "looked" interesting enough to click on so I did
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,297
Reaction score
7,333
Age
33
Country
Scotland
The One Piece anime goes at 1 chapter per episode and sometimes not even that, it's only the manga's breaks they have to worry about.

As long as compensate for the breaks with mini-filler arcs between the canon ones and occasionally expand minor scenes with filler to make them a lot longer (such as a recent episode where one panel of fixing things around the island was made into a full episode) they won't have to worry about catching up any time soon.

There are more episodes for the recent Zou arc than there are chapters, that how slow of a pace they adapt at.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top