Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
don't wanna get off topic too much, so let's just say it's a combination of having "hold my beer" attitude and knowing the right people :cheez

do you want to be a content creator?

I did this in the mid 00s when you had to get an agent then he had to meet up with publishers face to face and then they contract you, but these days you don't have to do all that, all of these online money transfers sites and self publishing sites are super helpful

you can get the same exposure you get on tv or printed media online

just upload your work to one of these self publishing sites and put a pay lock on it and that is it, it's as easy as having both a paybal account and a deviantart account

just you know, don't quit your day job or anything, no guarantees you will be able to make a living out of it
Thanks. And yeah you're right. This will be my last message on this since I know this thread is for Jump stuff only. But I plan on doing things the old fashioned way, but submitting to publishers like Image and Dark Horse constantly
 

iceemperor

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 19, 2014
Messages
1,735
Reaction score
2,734
Gender
Male
Country
Casterly Rock
Black Clover Volume 11

This volume will be a sort of test for Black Clover. Its released on the 2nd, a Tuesday, meaning it will have 6 days of sales for the first week like Heroaca's batch. Till now, Black clover has yet to pass 100k in the first week. Its gotten very close but fell short by a couple thousand copies. With this much push, and this far into the serialization, for its type of series, the expectation is that its able to do 100k first week pretty easily. I personally think these upcoming sales might give an indication of the upper limit for the anime boost but again anything is possible.
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Thanks. And yeah you're right. This will be my last message on this since I know this thread is for Jump stuff only. But I plan on doing things the old fashioned way, but submitting to publishers like Image and Dark Horse constantly
I wish you good luck

This Week's Jump Comic Sales
19. Boku no Hero Academia #13 (41,412 / 391,797)
gintama dropped out the top 50 after only 2 weeks? do we know how much this volume sold compared to the last volume in the same period?
 

Mawara

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Feb 22, 2015
Messages
210
Reaction score
234
Gender
Female
Country
Germany
Part 5 is the 2nd most popular, the most popular is Stardust Crusader. Japanese loves their Jotaro, which also one of the reason why people hate part 6.
Silly japanese. Part 6 has Jolyne. Don't act as if she wasnt best JoJo.
(But for real, I enjoyed Part 6 a lot, mostly because Jolyne is awesome. She is my fav JoJo).

At this point, I've read several times that Part 3 und 5 are the most popular ones in japan-
But what do the japanese fans think about Part 4? Not a fan of myself(best thing about it is Kira), but many people I know who read JoJo think Part 4 is actually the best one.
 

Scruffy8642

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2016
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,057
Age
29
Country
Australia
At this point, I've read several times that Part 3 und 5 are the most popular ones in japan-
But what do the japanese fans think about Part 4? Not a fan of myself(best thing about it is Kira), but many people I know who read JoJo think Part 4 is actually the best one.
Its kind of weird which parts they like the most. Part 3 was by far the most iconic and classic, but in terms of the actual story it was pretty terrible and felt like 70% filler. 4 and 2 were leagues better no matter how you look at it.
 

raikou

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2009
Messages
141
Reaction score
46
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
There are few factors :

Part 3 was the introduction of stand
Jotaro Kujo was the most popular Jojo for the supposed super strong, cool, almost perfection OP protagonist that Japan like.
Dio.

Part 2 has only Joseph Joestar without any useful supporting cast (the Jojo doing everything). The pillar men isn't exactly popular either.
Part 4 was popular with all its cast, but I think it's just Japan's preference to finding adventure fighting evil seems cooler rather than adventure around the corner with some comedy on a small city in Japan.
 

Mawara

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Feb 22, 2015
Messages
210
Reaction score
234
Gender
Female
Country
Germany
Its kind of weird which parts they like the most. Part 3 was by far the most iconic and classic, but in terms of the actual story it was pretty terrible and felt like 70% filler. 4 and 2 were leagues better no matter how you look at it.
I recall, that in japan Part 3 and 5 are the most popular ones, and among most western fans Part 2 and 4 are the favourites. Your opinion about Part 3 is essentially what most in the west think(and yeah, I agree with your opinion) and Part 5 isnt that popular, either. These different opinions are quite interesting, I must admit.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
There are few factors :

Part 3 was the introduction of stand
Jotaro Kujo was the most popular Jojo for the supposed super strong, cool, almost perfection OP protagonist that Japan like.
Dio.

Part 2 has only Joseph Joestar without any useful supporting cast (the Jojo doing everything). The pillar men isn't exactly popular either.
Part 4 was popular with all its cast, but I think it's just Japan's preference to finding adventure fighting evil seems cooler rather than adventure around the corner with some comedy on a small city in Japan.
Part 5 was also quite popular in japan, because (at least I've heard this reason several times) of its cast of slim, pretty boys. Never underestimate the teenage girl-demographic!
Btw, I've also heard, that Part 6 is unpopular in japan, some say because of its female JoJo, other say because of the setting itself. I pressume, it's a mix of both, but are there more reasons why it's not so popular?
 

TM2

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2017
Messages
155
Reaction score
95
Age
34
Country
Hong Kong
While my all-time favorite is Part 7 I really think that Araki perfected the concept of Stands and his battles in general in Part 4.
 

Doughboy

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 1, 2016
Messages
4,482
Reaction score
8,341
Country
United States
Thanks a lot. I just made a twitter account when I saw that Kimetsu got an account, so I was hoping to follow some Jump authors. I already have Mashima and Hori, but I'll be sure to add the other guys too. Thanks again. :)
I lurk on both their twitters very heavily, although Hori doesn't post his character chapter drawings anymore. Hori doesn't have anywhere as near as many followers as Mashima but his pics be getting retweeted and liked around the same or wayyy higher than Hiro's pics. For comparison peep Overhaul and Brandish, two villains:


Overhaul got a cool 5k retweets, 17k likes. Brandish got 3k retweets, 14k likes. And I literally just realized Hori isn't verified yet... why Twitter is slipping with this when you have fast food restaurants promoting the anime?
 
Last edited:

Kave

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2016
Messages
218
Reaction score
341
Country
Thailand
Does anyone remember which volumes Samon has its serious arcs in? I'm up to 6, might take a break and read something else if it'll be a while so I don't overdose on gags.
The Mastema arc starts in volume 7 and ends in volume 8, if I remember right
 

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
He doesn't post the chapter doodles anymore? Damn, that was the main reason why I wanted to follow him. Hopefully it's just because he's had a lot of work recently, with the anime and Jump Giga stuff to deal with, and will return to it soon.
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,720
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
Btw, I've also heard, that Part 6 is unpopular in japan, some say because of its female JoJo, other say because of the setting itself. I pressume, it's a mix of both, but are there more reasons why it's not so popular?
Their favorite JoJo (Jotaro) is useless for 90% of the time.
American Prison setting.
Female MC in a shounen magazine (remember this was in 2000~2003).
Also, the ending.
 
Last edited:

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
Raws for the new Ichigo 100% is out
 

iceemperor

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 19, 2014
Messages
1,735
Reaction score
2,734
Gender
Male
Country
Casterly Rock
He doesn't post the chapter doodles anymore? Damn, that was the main reason why I wanted to follow him. Hopefully it's just because he's had a lot of work recently, with the anime and Jump Giga stuff to deal with, and will return to it soon.
He's actually really reduced his online presence. He's stopped the chapter sketches and deleted his Pixiv account. While this may be because he's really busy, its also probably a response from the editors due to the immense bashing he's receiving on 2ch. At least half of all posts regarding Heroaca are either troll posts, complaints about events that are clearly explained or just simply hating and bashing Horikoshi himself.

2ch has its "anti threads", which are basically threads where people nitpick unnecessarily, complain without any argument or simply hate on the series. Every series has its anti thread. Heroaca however, in the past year, has had its anti threads grow almost explosively. In the beginning it was rather slow. You'd see about maybe 1 or 2 new threads every month. Now you'll see a new thread almost every other day. These threads are also 1000 posts. You make a new one after 1000 posts, at which point the current one is archived. Even now, the Heroaca anti thread is one of the top threads in the "Weekly shonen manga" section of 2ch.

Currently, they think the current set of events is absolutely horrible, the characters in the series have no appeal, never had any appeal, Horikoshi is a huge idiot who can't write good dialogue and some even go to say he doesn't know proper Japanese due to some of the word choices. The story has too many things unexplained, so called "loose setting", and that Horikoshi is just making up worldbuilding as he's going. Other sites like Yaraon also jump on this Heroaca bashing. Yaraon recently only posts Heroaca articles when they're bashing articles. Even the people that go there are annoyed that its needless bashing, like for wordy sentences that apparently don't make sense, when everything is properly explained.

It doesn't help that Horikoshi also partially caused this as he took their criticisms of "hard to understand" and changed the dialogue in the Tankoubons. They then reacted and bashed him for that.
 
Last edited:

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
Oh damn, I didn't realize the online reception was so terrible. Makes sense that he's decided to just remove himself from the internet, although I'm still sad that he won't be posting doodles much anymore. If I remember correctly, the first thing that people sorta complained about (and completely missed the point) was when Deku punched the muscle quirk guy with "1000000%". Some people completely missed the fact that it was supposed to portray Deku going all out, and not meant to be taken literally. Hopefully the online negativity stays online because I would hate to see Hero Academia drop in sales, especially since it seems like it still has room to grow popularity wise.
Thanks for the info though.
 

Nakura

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
1,564
Reaction score
2,181
Age
30
Country
Ireland
Hopefully the online negativity stays online because I would hate to see Hero Academia drop in sales, especially since it seems like it still has room to grow popularity wise.
Thanks for the info though.
It's sales(in the first month at least) have been dropping since volume 11. I'm not sure if that's got anything to do with the climate of print sales though, since a lot of series seem to be experiencing it. I know too little about what it's digital sales are like, in terms of numbers, to make any judgement.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
Horikoshi doesn't deserve that :(
 

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
I don't see why they don't count digital volume sales in Oricon charts. I would think that digital sales would be easier to track. According to this article (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...16-digital-sees-27.5-percent-increase/.113129) if I did my math correctly, then digital volume sales account for more than a third of total (digital and physical) volume sales. This is assuming that digital volume sales made $1.28 billion and physical volume sales made $1.71 billion. Surely sales of this size would be large enough to track?
 

xAsum0x

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
1,763
Reaction score
1,582
Gender
Male
Country
United States
The quality has dipped since the AFO arc but it's not unreadable. The dip in sales make sense. Unfortunately the series won't be as big as I hoped it would, but as long as it's not getting canceled and i can read it every week I'm cool with that
 

jagman1x3

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Sep 19, 2012
Messages
2,616
Reaction score
2,843
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I don't see why they don't count digital volume sales in Oricon charts. I would think that digital sales would be easier to track. According to this article (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...16-digital-sees-27.5-percent-increase/.113129) if I did my math correctly, then digital volume sales account for more than a third of total (digital and physical) volume sales. This is assuming that digital volume sales made $1.28 billion and physical volume sales made $1.71 billion. Surely sales of this size would be large enough to track?
You can't really track digital sales unless the online retailers actually give you their data, and they're not going to do that since it would basically be giving away information to their competitors.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top