Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Slam Dunk's ending is good but abrupt which a lot of people seem to be half and half on whether it being an intentional "realistic" ending or Inoue wanting to end it as soon as possible personally I liked it a lot since unlike say something like Haikyuu the point of the story wasn't focused on going to Nationals but Sakuragi's development through the course of the story and his love and appreciation of the sport and his teammates who also had their own development that got realized before the end.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
The best ending was Nisekoi ending! The rest is bullshit! :derp

Putting baits aside, in short, it is very hard to make anybody satisfied, even the unanimously acclaimed masterpieces doesn't earn 100% agreement in endings... The most difficult parts of a series is the beginning, how to make it appealing enough to survive, and the ending, how to end in a good way or how to end at all since Jump editors jump in authors' back to extend successful series.

Nisekoi has a good ending, I have no complaints, just an observation. XD
 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I agree with the majority that FT did a job with its character cast in regards to screentime, character development as in no feels super lost in the story, and while not all preceded massive importance they stayed relevant and gown in different cases. Side characters is one of my main things in a series, we get the main characters way enough so you gotta have a strong supporting cast.
Don't really get where people are getting this from. The side cast in FT didn't really do anything of significance other than job to hype up the main cast or remain background jokes and after the S-Class arc kinda just stop appearing altogether. Not every story is going to give extended focus on its side characters in fact any sort of focus is well appreciated (they are called "side" characters for a reason) but they have to serve some sort of purpose which for the most part none of them did also the inverse is not better given that Bleach had more focus on its side cast than its main ones to the point where the MC did next to nothing in the final arc.
Hinata is universally more popular than Sakura, Grimmjow, Yoruichi from Bleach come to mind when talking of good side characters that possibly are better than the mains. DBZ, YYH, Sailor Moon, Yugioh did great with its side characters. Naruto barely gave any of its side characters final fights in the final arc (Konoha 11 doing a psuedo-Spirit Bomb to damage the Ten Tails is not what I mean either). I have the same issue with the recent chapter like most but I can say that I never had problems with FT till like midway through the final arc. Being a not hard critic of manga is a factor, I thought Demon Plan was gonna be good lol.
Well shit that's more than what the side cast in FT did throughout the entire arc hell the latest chapter UNDID A CHARACTER'S ONLY ACCOMPLISHMENT IN THE ENTIRE ARC you can't make this shit up. Also DBZ wrote the book on how not to treat your side characters given how once the Saiyans became regular cast members and the stakes got much bigger the original cast of DB has virtually nothing to do
Also on Kubo I respect him for working through an illness but I think it might of been the sales... did he ever outright confirm he ended the manga on his own terms?
The official statement from Kubo via Twitter was the he ended it the way he wanted to. He was encouraged & motivated to finish Bleach the way he wanted to, thanks to a young fan with some sort of terminal illness. (Pic related.)

Like I said there is really no reason for Jump to rush Kubo to completion and he had all the time in world to conduct a satisfying conclusion but chose not to, while Bleach did drop significantly in sales and rankings Kubo had already announced its conclusion before things turned sour.
 

Doughboy

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 1, 2016
Messages
4,482
Reaction score
8,341
Country
United States
Yeah Choco can't disagree with you at all on that retcon. On the topic of endings and masterpieces, in retrospect there were alot of endings I've liked more than I've disliked. Looking at it deeper I think it's cause I prefer anime over manga cause it seemingly can make terrible scenes likable. The one series I've heard that can be the closest considered to a masterpiece is HxH which I've never read but I'm a fan cause YYH so I'm aware of it. I was surprised that I've never seen OP being considered to be one given its success but could be due to the places I've been on which is mainly here, YouTube and MAL. So not many
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
You never saw people saying that One Piece is a masterpiece? Where have you been wandering? XD
I think I always put One Piece and masterpiece together in the same phrase around here.
I think One Piece has little to prove, just a disaster would make it bad and Oda is not prone to disaster.
 

Doughboy

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 1, 2016
Messages
4,482
Reaction score
8,341
Country
United States
Well I don't know Japanese at all so lurking on 2ch or Japan twitter is a dead mission. YouTubers hype every thing but I've never watched compilation vids like the histories of manga or ranking and comparison vids before finding this thread, moreso reviews and commentaries. OP's critiques I've personally seen mainly revolve its length or art but among our fanbase it's rarely looked down on. My personal opinion? I think Naruto would of been a masterpiece if it ended after the Pain arc. But if we look at the whole spectrum of a series without cutting parts out I think I would say Dragon Ball is a masterpiece since it's one of the few series I've watched everything related to it and still enjoy it. This type of debate is too loose though, you think something is a masterpiece but...
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,297
Reaction score
7,333
Age
33
Country
Scotland
Viz Jump's issue survey is certainly taking a while to appear this week. I wish they could just be consistent with this stuff.
 

Kamen Rider Dragon

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 4, 2012
Messages
239
Reaction score
220
Gender
Male
Country
United States
The funny thing is Gon probably won't be in those chapters. But I'm excited.

Well I don't know Japanese at all so lurking on 2ch or Japan twitter is a dead mission. YouTubers hype every thing but I've never watched compilation vids like the histories of manga or ranking and comparison vids before finding this thread, moreso reviews and commentaries. OP's critiques I've personally seen mainly revolve its length or art but among our fanbase it's rarely looked down on. My personal opinion? I think Naruto would of been a masterpiece if it ended after the Pain arc. But if we look at the whole spectrum of a series without cutting parts out I think I would say Dragon Ball is a masterpiece since it's one of the few series I've watched everything related to it and still enjoy it. This type of debate is too loose though, you think something is a masterpiece but...
Naruto still had problems before the war arc. While it wasn't completely off the rails I wouldn't call it a masterpiece if it ended there. Too many things unresolved, problems with its side-cast usage, Sauske still sucked etc.
 
Last edited:

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,297
Reaction score
7,333
Age
33
Country
Scotland
Viz confirmed that they'll run HxH again, not that it's a surprise at all. Now we just need to wait and see if they'll pick up the new Rurouni Kenshin manga whenever it eventually starts (they've certainly hinted at it but I don't know if we got official confirmation).
 

G_I_A

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
401
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I always wondered about this... Not sure if it's off topic but, anyway... In US is there any difference between the printed "rights" of a series and the digital ones? I mean... Take VIZ for instance... If they have One Piece rights to print the volumes... Does it mean that they necessarily have the digital ones as well? Thanks in advance.
 

jagman1x3

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Sep 19, 2012
Messages
2,616
Reaction score
2,843
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I always wondered about this... Not sure if it's off topic but, anyway... In US is there any difference between the printed "rights" of a series and the digital ones? I mean... Take VIZ for instance... If they have One Piece rights to print the volumes... Does it mean that they necessarily have the digital ones as well? Thanks in advance.
They're definitely not the same thing. Most publishers will just get both together now, but the physical and digital rights do have to be dealt with separately. It's not that common but there are even some cases where different companies have them, like Viz publishing FMA in print years ago and more recently Yen Press getting digital rights or Crunchyroll doing a bunch of series that Seven Seas does in print.
 

G_I_A

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
401
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
This is very very interesting. Thanks a lot for the info. Do you happen to know values? How much a series like MHA should cost? A couple millions?
 

jagman1x3

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Sep 19, 2012
Messages
2,616
Reaction score
2,843
Gender
Male
Country
United States
This is very very interesting. Thanks a lot for the info. Do you happen to know values? How much a series like MHA should cost? A couple millions?
No idea, companies aren't going to talk about how much stuff costs. I wouldn't be surprised if the contract even says they can't talk about it.
 

xAsum0x

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
1,763
Reaction score
1,582
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Whats next on the chopping block? Surprised U19 and Spring Weapon No.1 are still up. Wanna see who they look towards next for new series.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,938
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Must be a slow day in JPN, if it was trending at 1AM
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Whats next on the chopping block? Surprised U19 and Spring Weapon No.1 are still up. Wanna see who they look towards next for new series.
I think those two are guaranteed cancelling for next round. Now that HxH graced us with its presence, Poro and Hungry Marie appears on the table as well.
 

Heiji

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 8, 2009
Messages
2,547
Reaction score
7,928
Gender
Male
Country
Japan
27号
ブラクロ
ワンピ
ネバラン
ストーン ※Cカラー
鬼滅
ハイキュー
ボルト ※Cカラー
ヒロアカ
勉強 ※Cカラー
ソーマ
斉木
ゆらぎ
火ノ丸
左門 ※最終話
ロボ
銀魂
マリー
青春
ポロ
U19
磯兵衛

28号
巻頭:シューダン!(横田卓馬)※新連載
Cカラー:ネバラン(超人気御礼) ロボ(大人気&反響御礼) ゆらぎ

今期新連載2本
28号:シューダン! ※サッカー
29号:クロスアカウント(伊達恒大) ※恋愛物かも?
30号:ハンタ再開

Samon's end in #27.
YOKOTA Takuma new serie in #28 (soccer manga)
DATE Tsunehiro new serie in #29 (love com)
Hxh back in #30
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,938
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Finally the glorious return of soccer to jump. Still wish it had been Tokyo Wonder Boys as a survivor. It was great.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top